April 28, 2024, 12:53:55 AM

Author Topic: Latapy's Diary - 2nd installment: BIG MARV TOOK A KNOCK IN TRAINING  (Read 5681 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Russell Latapy's World Cup diary.
(Daily Record).

Big Marv took a knock in training but it would take a hurricane to put him out of Sweden opener. WORLD CUP COUNTDOWN: 13 DAYS TO GO... Our doc never worries about the big man - he's come through much worse.

We're out in Austria just now, stepping up the football as opposed to fitness training with our first proper warm-up match against Wales to come today.
I hear Ryan Giggs and Craig Bellamy have both been withdrawn from Mark Hughes' squad, which is a pity because they would have offered us ideal preparation for the England match.
But there's always good players waiting to come in at international level and I'm sure our coach Leo Beenhaker will still be looking forward to starting the business of fine-tuning our tactics before we move on to final friendlies against two more good teams in Slovenia and the Czech Republic.
We're in the same hotel just outside Graz where Rangers stayed a couple of pre-seasons ago and where Gretna, I'm told, will be doing their pre-season in another six weeks or so.
We had our first practice match earlier in the week, against a local under-23 team. It was good just to take to the field against someone different and it feels as if we're all pretty much on a level playing field now in terms of our physical fitness.
Although a lot of the boys are in Scotland or England, the group as a whole is culled from pretty different footballing backgrounds so we weren't exactly all working at the same pace.
But the week in England and the first few days out here mean we're back up to speed.
So much so that our coach gave us a free day and night after Tuesday's game. Leo can be a tough old character when he wants to be but he's also known for not forcing his squads to live under a strict curfew.
You might think that would be taking a risk with the likes of myself and Dwight Yorke having enjoyed the odd night on the tiles in the past but there will be plenty of time for a big night out with the lads when the tournament's done for us.
And believe you me, that will be some night. For now though, it was just nice to get some fresh air away from the hotel, have a nice meal and enjoy a quiet drink with a lazy cigarette!
I'd been in Graz before with Boavista on European duty, so it's a city I know. It's just a bit different this time because they're advertising this fixture everywhere on billboards and TV.
With the good weather and the fact Austria aren't at the World Cup, they're talking about a crowd of 10-15,000 in the Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium.
I guess one of the good things about being lumped at the bottom of every World Cup betting list is that everyone loves an underdog - there's no end to the well-wishing.
We're getting attuned to that side of things now, although I'm not sure many of the competing nations would have experienced the kind of bedlam we had around our send-off from Port of Spain.
I've heard all the stories of Argentina and 1978 and I can now imagine what that must have been like - save for the obvious difference that nobody back home expects us to do anything more than sneak a win in one of the matches.
So, pretty similar, you might say ...
The worst thing about the send-off was that it knocked us back a bit off our original training schedule.
Not that Marvin Andrews needs much to keep his fitness up. He took a little knock in training last week but I think it would take a hurricane to blow him off course come the opening game with Sweden.
He's absolutely fine and to be honest our team doctor barely frets about anything that happens to big Marv these days considering his past.
The reality of what we're getting into is starting to register and in a funny way we're beginning to relax about what lies ahead.
Our first goal, of course, was just to qualify - and having come through the send-off unscathed, our next goal is just to go as far as possible. I know some people in Scotland reckon we'll struggle even to get a goal but on the day anything can happen if we're up to it.
There's no point even turning up if you don't believe you can do something.
I'm quietly confident we will give a good account of ourselves, although I'm also realistic enough to acknowledge England's place among the top seeds - or Sweden's status as strong contenders every time they play in major tournaments.
But if Peru offer much of a guide I wouldn't rule out a surprise against Paraguay.
As Leo said, we have a job to do in Germany to change people's perceptions of the game in Trinidad & Tobago.
Most folk probably see us lying around on a beach, kicking a ball while sipping a beer, but reaching the World Cup gives us a chance to change that view - which can only be good for the younger players.
previous entry:
http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=15198.0
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 04:08:05 AM by Flex »

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
great read.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
What is it with Latapy and ciggies?!?! Just kidding....good read...I love these entries from him and Carlos...Vibes it Up!!!!  :beermug:

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
porquito magico
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Tigger

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
nice thread fuh real... hope we can see more diaries like this

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
You might think that would be taking a risk with the likes of myself and Dwight Yorke having enjoyed the odd night on the tiles in the past but there will be plenty of time for a big night out with the lads when the tournament's done for us.
And believe you me, that will be some night.

Who ent dead, badly wounded.  :rotfl:
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline doh_stick

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting..good read!

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
is this injury why he took dog off??

any official word on dog as yet??
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
MARV'LL HEAL IN TIME TO DEAL WITH HENRIK
WORLD CUP COUNTDOWN: 9 DAYS TO GO... Fear not - big man can't wait to get it on Latapy's Diary
Latapy

Daily Record, May 31st 2006

EVERY time the pain of missing my family becomes too much to bear I just think of Steven Gerrard.

Don't get me wrong, the lads can't wait for the big kick-off in Germany but it's the wait that's been the problem.

It's been a funny sort of week out in Austria as we're at that in-between stage of preparations.

Yes, we can sense the serious action lies just around the corner but you also feel as if you've been away from your loved ones for months.

It gets pretty monotonous going from training to meals to bed and back again all day, every day, but there's one thing that keeps us going.

All it takes to lift yourself again is that dream of nutmegging Gerrard and laying the ball on for Dwight Yorke to score the winner against England.

Believe me, I've been playing out that scenario in my head a fair bit and I know it's a dream you all share with me.

You could say it's the kind of script that's pure Hollywood, which is just as well as the Tinseltown offerings have well and truly dried up in our camp. There's not a DVD we haven't all now seen to be had anywhere so I'm looking forward to a new batch being brought out next week by friends and families.

But watching videos isn't the only way to shatter the boredom. Having warm-up games also injects a bit of excitement into the group.

After Wales on Saturday, when I thought we did all right and certainly made a few good chances quite apart from taking a deserved lead, we now make the short hop across the border to face Slovenia tonight.

Then it's a match against a strong Czech Republic side on Saturday before moving to our base in Germany near Bremen.

I wouldn't be surprised if the manager, Leo Beenhakker, makes a few changes for this one. Most of the guys in the squad will genuinely feel they have a chance of starting the first group game against Sweden a week on Saturday. And Leo will naturally want to assess his options in more depth.

For that reason, I wouldn't worry if Marvin Andrews sits out at least a portion of tonight's match.

I know there was a bit of fretting going on among our growing army of fans (we're calling Jack McConnell and Co the Trinidad &Tartan Army) after Marv's early substitution against the Welsh and Leo's comments about his fitness not quite being what he wanted.

But while I wouldn't want to go into a private conversation between Marvin and Leo, what I can say with certainty is Marvin will be fine to take his place against Henrik Larsson, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Freddie Ljungberg come our kick-off in Dortmund.

I had a long chat with the big man in his room after the Wales match and there is nothing for us to worry about.

The knee is healing naturally and he had already shown he could withstand some pretty tough challenges even before the healing process was properly under way.

Besides, he and Dennis Lawrence really are rocks at the heart of our defence. With Marv's 110 per cent commitment and the aerial threat they both carry - Dennis checks in at a whopping 6ft 7in - what's really important to Leo is making sure these two these guys peak at the right time.

The way I see it, the Welsh game was more about giving Marvin a proper run-out as well as making sure he was properly protected.

Of course, the other big thing from a Scottish point of view was seeing Denzil Theobold do so well in midfield. He's been on fire in training, having started to make an impact at Falkirk in the latter stages of last season.

I couldn't be unhappy with Leo's decision to go with Denzil instead of me against Wales. In fact I think he's showing the potential to do very well in this tournament.

He always had bags of ability back home but his year with us in Falkirk has seen him mature into a really good professional too.

It's a question of Denzil maintaining that hunger and fight.

I thought I did okay myself when I came on and while I still don't know what exactly Leo has in mind for me, we both know what my body can and can't give in these conditions.

Leo's actually really tuned in to these kind of issues. In fact, we have a coach who really understands the culture and mentality of Trinidad generally.

He might come across as slightly dippy when he is quoted saying things like football is similar to dope in that it keeps pulling you back even if you're away from it for months.

But he knows his craft inside out having managed the best there is with Ajax, Holland and Real Madrid.

He's also very much one of us now in that he can be incredibly flexible in most things, although also absolutely unflinching in others.

In terms of the football and protecting the team, he won't budge one iota. But he also understands people need to see their families and he allows us to have our fun as well - just at the right time.

He doesn't police us like a lot of managers, although he does like us to be in our rooms for a couple of hours each afternoon. Not that he always remembers all the room numbers.

Emotionally, he plays on the players' minds which I think is the best way to do it. Certainly, you don't ever step on his toes - because if you do there will only be one winner.

1]; } ?>