May 01, 2024, 07:00:32 AM

Author Topic: Injury forces Spann out W/Cup squad.  (Read 28308 times)

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
Injury forces Spann out W/Cup squad.
« on: May 30, 2006, 09:32:54 AM »
Injury forces Spann out W/Cup squad.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

National team head coach Leo Beenhakker previously gave members of the current Trinidad and Tobago World Cup contingent a heads up of possible emotional challenges along the current build up phase and Tuesday May 30, 2006 was the first major one of those.
Beenhakker was again forced to perform the unpleasant task of informing one of his players that his dream of playing at the 2006 World Cup was over. First it was Anthony Rougier and in this latest case, midfielder Silvio Spann who was initially in the official 23-man squad, has had to be released due to a hamstring injury. His place will now be taken by German-based player Evans Wise. The latter will take the number 16 shirt to complete the 23-man squad going into T&T’s opening Group B match against Sweden on June 10 in Dortmund.
Spann, a former National Under 23 player went out of contract with Yokohama FC last season and had not played any kind of regular football since the start of 2006. He was on the sidelines for some weeks after suffering a knee injury shortly after the 2-0 win over Iceland and even while being fit again, he remained unattached before playing for a President’s Eleven in two friendlies against Grenada in April. He then subsequently pulled up with a hamstring injury inside the first week of the training camp at Carden Park, Manchester earlier this month.
Beenhakker kept his hopes that Spann would be ready again, at least in time for the second match against England on June 15. But following rehabilitation with the team’s medical staff it was determined that based on his progress, he would  face a tight race to be ready for even the match versus Paraguay on June 20.
For the former national under 23 skipper, it was a heartbreaker but he took the news in good stride and has promised to bounce back while for Wise, the sending home of Spann was sad but his eventual inclusion in the 23-man squad was a wish come true.
“It’s always hard especially before a tournament such as this to receive such words. It’s harsh but it’s fair because after getting the injury I remained positive and I kept faith that I would recover. But the coach had a decision to make and he had to choose the 23 players to go to the World Cup. In my case it would have been difficult to be ready by the England game and I am disheartened by not being able to represent the country because this was the dream of my father and myself,” Spann said.  “The coach spoke to me and he explained to me why the decision had to be taken. And I have no doubt that he means well for us.”
“I wish my teammates and especially my close friends on the team all the best and that God’s grace be with them. I know they will do us proud and I will be there at least in spirit with them. I want each and every player to represent us to the fullest. They must never think anything is impossible. It is possible that we can go on to the second round and further,” added the former Vibe CT 105 W Connection player.
Both players were informed of the decision by Beenhakker at training on Tuesday morning and the other members of the squad were subsequently made aware of it by the head coach. Spann is now expected to depart the team camp before the end of this week.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 01:33:05 PM by Flex »

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
Re: INJURY FORCES SPANN OUT W/CUP SQUAD
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 09:35:20 AM »
fACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK..... Spann meh boi, sorry bredda man  :'( Doh worry your place booked in 2010
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:38:23 AM by marcus »

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 09:38:02 AM »
Rel bad news dey, but keep yuh head up Spanner.... 2010 4 sure!

"When one door is closed another is opened....." Enter Wise!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 10:08:18 AM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 09:39:16 AM »
Thank you Spann for the hard work and effort :applause:
Keep your head up, your future is still bright.

BIG CONGRTS TO EVANS WISE AND WHAT A COMEBACK!!! WE LOOK FORWARD TO THE DAMAGE YOU ARE GOING TO INFLICK ON SWEDEN AND ENGLAND

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 09:39:52 AM »
i real sorry to hear dat

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 09:39:59 AM »
That's a real hard luck for Spann, I could just imagine how difficult a task that was for Beenhakker. Wolfe, despite being totally anonymous so far is still in the squad. I know real men glad Wise is in but I'm not happy it was Spann to go, especially in the manner in which it happened.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:44:03 AM by Jayerson »

Offline onlikecorn

• Full Warrior
  • vibes it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 09:40:17 AM »
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy  . . i feelin sorry fuh yuh boy spann ..  i did like yuh enerrgy and fight in de midfield. . . stay strong. . yuh is de future fuh sure. .. 2010 for sure. . .  :beermug: :beermug:

allyuh should try this in de us, uk and canada. . .actually works. . . use it instead of google. . and get free ting. . i get real free ting already....

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 09:41:01 AM »
Lawd .... dat hard boi ...
Snake in de balliser

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 09:41:36 AM »
Oh God!! Watch de picture nah... I could cry  :'(

I feel real sorry for him....

The pathway for Wise just open easy easy... like it was meant to be... from Grenada to standby to de official team.... what next?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 01:40:49 PM by Flex »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

TrinInfinite

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 09:46:35 AM »
dis is real bad news, spann woulda been a player who would have surprised alot and been a standout, one of my favorites on de team, im very disappointed 2 say de least >:( but dog may find himself in de same situation, bc he not fit either, who will come in for him? ???

enter wise, well allyuh get yuh wish but at de xpense of a very good midfielder >:(

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 09:48:43 AM »
Would he still make the trip with the team? I hope he gets that opportunity at least.  :(

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 09:48:58 AM »
Soory Silvo but the God we serve knows best.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 09:49:18 AM »
wow.....even i feeling that pain.......wise is going to be de x-factor in this world cup......do ya thing wise
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 09:50:09 AM »
Keep your head up Spann. Everybody know you would have lit up that WC........ 2010 for sure.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline kevinAckin

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 09:50:25 AM »
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 09:52:30 AM »
horse...this WC ting too meotional. I feeling depressed for Spann. He will come back strong..his experience of qualifying for  a WC will be helpful in leading the new generation. He neds to now focus on getting his club career back on track and preapring for 2010 from now....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 10:00:07 AM by Filho »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 09:54:39 AM »
He took it in good stride, and acted as a consumate professional with his comments.  He'll definitely be back.  At the same time, welcome aboard Wise.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 09:56:46 AM »
I think Beenie get lil lucky here. Injury is the easiest way to tell a player that he cant be part of a squad. Study if everybody was fit and ready what would have really happened on that final day. Somebody would have had to sit out. I real feeling for Spann though. I eh know nah. Meh head hurtin meh
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:59:03 AM by g »
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 09:57:26 AM »
So Dog couldn't heal the man? He seem to be a man of faith too. :angel:
Live large and prosper!

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 09:58:33 AM »
horse...this WC ting too meotional. I feeling depressed for

Bro, could you imagine being a player and having to recieve news like this. It's a good thing Spann is strong in his faith in God because the average player wouldn't be able handle such news. A hamstrain keeping him out WC but men with broken metatarsul want to defy fate and play, it's only so much postive thinking can do.

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 09:59:45 AM »
aye da rel hard......he was one of my picks to star ...

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 09:59:57 AM »
I think Beenie get lil lucky here. Injury is the easiest way to tell a player that he cant be part of a squad. Study if everybody was fit and ready what would have really happened on that final day. Somebody would have had to sit out. I real feeling for Spann though. I eh know nah. Meh head hurtin meh

Lucky you say........... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 10:00:01 AM »
enter wise, well allyuh get yuh wish but at de xpense of a very good midfielder >:(

When you say what you want you better want what you say...for real trininfinite. I hope all dem men who was clamouring for wise to replace somebody go still be talking if he don't show up when the world cup starts

And to think this man didn't sign a new contract because he wanted to concentrate on the world cup eh? Life is funny. But Silvio, you're in my prayers. You must be disappointed, its only human, even if you did respond very professionally and with class. You're a pretty devout fella it seems though so you will know that when things happen they happen for a reason and you will raise your head and come back stronger in 2010.

Evans you getting your opportunity...make good use of it, dread
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline kevinAckin

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2006, 10:04:20 AM »
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Offline kevinAckin

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2006, 10:04:52 AM »
i want to cry

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2006, 10:08:06 AM »

When you say what you want you better want what you say...for real trininfinite. I hope all dem men who was clamouring for wise to replace somebody go still be talking if he don't show up when the world cup starts

And to think this man didn't sign a new contract because he wanted to concentrate on the world cup eh? Life is funny. But Silvio, you're in my prayers. You must be disappointed, its only human, even if you did respond very professionally and with class. You're a pretty devout fella it seems though so you will know that when things happen they happen for a reason and you will raise your head and come back stronger in 2010.

Evans you getting your opportunity...make good use of it, dread

Remember everyone was saying that, he didn't sign a new contract because he wanted to concentrate on WC and forumites (me included) were saying that anything could happen before now and the WC. Now look, at the 11th hour the man get forced out the squad through injury.

Now quite a few people were clamouring for Wise but not at the expense at Spann. I suppose Beenhakker knew what he was doing because he has been playing Theobald much more regularly and in truth Theo has improved, they both play similar roles, Spann and Theo. I find we are getting quite a few niggling injuries in the sqaud.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 10:09:39 AM by Jayerson »

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006, 10:14:58 AM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006, 10:16:10 AM »
I real feeling it for spanner boy -- Keep yuh head up king

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 10:30:01 AM »
meh belly hurting meh with da one

go on spann keep yuh head up man when life gives u lemons

i feeling it for u

does anyone kno if this means we will  not even be able to train with the team when theyt arrive in germany?? in attempt to lull potential suitors

any fifa sanctions about that??
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 10:31:32 AM »
Oh gorm ah feeling for Spann dred :( :( Is a rough thing to reach this far and then get drop because of ah injury...

I wish my teammates and especially my close friends on the team all the best and that God’s grace be with them. I know they will do us proud and I will be there at least in spirit with them.

It look like de man cyah even go Germany to watch them play... :( :( Doh worry he go be ready like fready for 2010!!!!

1]; } ?>