March 29, 2024, 08:11:28 AM

Author Topic: Our Defense!  (Read 5442 times)

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
Our Defense!
« on: June 01, 2006, 07:47:53 AM »
I had to start a separate tread for this. If anyone knows of this beautiful sport we call Football they would know that the defense is one of the most important part of a team. After watching and analyzing the game on yesterday you can see that is not that much of our midfield or strikers are not up to it...but it's our DEFENSE that is at much of the fault of our lack luster performance! The defense responsibility is defend as well as start off the plays from back there...if it's maybe down middle or on the flangs. Some our defenders seem to have no clue of controlling the plays or creating from back there and that my friends can create some major problems on any team. We don't really have any defenders that are able to stay up with fast strikers and that is a another problem by it self. Hopefully they would get better within ten days or the formation will change in order to assist the defense because boy oh boy they need help.

The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Our Defense!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 08:03:10 AM »
our defense wont get better than it has been in the last year. it will only get better with the youngsters commin tru. if beenhakker cant fix it there very few people if any who can. This happens alor with emerging teams, they can attack and have decent midfield but cant defend, The style of play and mentality in Trinidad doesnt see many people play defence so its harder to produce them. havin said that our defence can suprise on occasions and look solid but its inconsistent hopefully tho they will be on it for the world cup.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 08:18:35 AM »
He might want to joggle the line up a bit or experiment. Check this out mosts old timers or I would say coaches would not experiment with a defensive midfield at wing back. The point I'm tryna prove is that the defenders of old are not cutting it in these times. Bennie must be willing to place speed back there or players that can creates not just defend. Well I will add to this with Mr. His slip up or I meant Hislop. He had much to do with this as the others... why can he learn to hold on to the darn ball? I think that other feller needs to stand in goal.
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 08:19:07 AM »
>:(  Its too easy to blame the defense. Modern defense is a collective team effort.  Principles of play apply( immediate chase, delay, pressure, cover & balance)
If the ball is lost in the attacking third then the forward or midfielder closest to the ball must try to get in position to delay or pressure the ball and allow the rest of the team to get in position to cover and provide balance either by marking players & important spaces.  If men stop playing when we don't have the ball, we in serious trouble.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 08:24:56 AM »
>:(  Its too easy to blame the defense. Modern defense is a collective team effort.  Principles of play apply( immediate chase, delay, pressure, cover & balance)
If the ball is lost in the attacking third then the forward or midfielder closest to the ball must try to get in position to delay or pressure the ball and allow the rest of the team to get in position to cover and provide balance either by marking players & important spaces.  If men stop playing when we don't have the ball, we in serious trouble.
Very good point! "Modern defense is a collective team effort" Well aren't we playing like that? Are they not fit to be able to fall back and cover or are they ball watching?

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 08:29:30 AM »
LACK OF DISCIPLINE, those guys positioning is terrible, marking horrendous, pace hilarious its just disastorous :flamethrower:

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 08:30:07 AM »
Very good point! "Modern defense is a collective team effort" Well aren't we playing like that? Are they not fit to be able to fall back and cover or are they ball watching?

Its really a matter of concentration. You see the effort for 88 minutes. Quality teams will will rest 4 on you in those 2 minutes that you switch off
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline FATZ

• Hero Warrior
  • I SELL FOOTBALL JERSEYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 08:59:26 AM »
Beenhakker should have picked more coverage in our defense and due to this lack, we are suffering dearly.
WELCOME TO DINSLEY OUT IN THE STREETZ THEY CALL ME FATZ

Without Him, I am nothing but with Him I can do all things. Phil 4:13

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 10:03:51 AM »
      I was trying hard to keep away from posting anything on this website until after the WC but i must say this is the best thing i've read on this website in the past couple weeks,i was waiting to see who had some knowledge of what they are talking about.
 Â      Defence is not four men and a GK,it's the whole team,i'm always sorry for our four defenders they are always outnumbered,our whole team is too slow in attack or defence,we look good against teams that are weaker than us,our midfield only attacks none of them defends.
 Â       Everybody here said they selected the team too early,why we have to go in Camp so early,Yorke,Spann etc etc resting waiting for WC,they don't want to get injured,everybody else playing,how ready do we expect to be?
 Â        Why are we complaining guys we always want to compare ourselves with what Brazil,England,Argentina etc etc is doing and we all know we cannot,these teams have all been there many times they know what it's all about,you think we could not get better teams to play against leading up to the WC?i can't understand how Jamaica did not qualify for the WC but has played so many top teams,how they getting all those games and we have to take what ever we get.
 Â         The game is very fast,speed does not only mean how fast you can run but how fast you can think,T&T have a problem with that,counter attacks killing us,our midfield is non existent,it's not how pretty you are,all the pretty boys getting expose,it's how hard you are able to work.
 Â         Benie can only do so much with these guys the rest is up to them,reality is beginning to step in,it's a culture shock to our players but i hope through all of this they will mature and be better individuals.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 10:17:17 AM »
I feelin kinda lame posting after such a good post, but what allyuh tink about kenwyn jones for the other center back job - I mean if he could try yorke yuh hatta agree is desperate times, and jones have speed, height, aggresive, could head the ball good, the only  thing (which may not be possible in the space of time) is to get him in the frame of mind.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 10:49:06 AM »
Good posts..Coops and Lightning....
A lot of people blaming the the defense (the back 4) but not blaming the keeper....the defense includes the keeper..ask the USA...nuff time their defence does get tear apart but their keeper stands tall so at the end of the day,ppl will say their defence is good because they end up with a lot of clean sheets.

Also the defence includes the midfielders and forwards....in other words all 11 men comprises the defence.  So simply blaming the wingback or the central defender or the keeper for a goal is not making sense.  Blame all the players..last time I check you win as a team and lose as a team.

Blame Beenhakker as well...that Cyd Gray experiment is a total disaster.

P.S. TnT football is way below international standard (regardless of what some of u think...call me a waggonist or ah doubting thomas if yuh want) and these friendlies are exposing that fact.  However, I do believe in miracles and luck..hopefully that combination plus the efforts of the players and the technical staff can result in a good showing in the World Cup.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 10:54:47 AM »
I just wanted to give a shout out to lightning and coop's finally logic prevails if men would take the time and think about things rather than motuhing off youd see there is a method to beenie's madness he is trying different things to complement for the possibility of dog's loss or our own prevalent shortcomings in defense . The fact of the matter is oyr defense is slow which is why he tried cyd as a sweeper because the one thing the guy has that we need pure pace he tried yorke as a sweeper because of his obvious organisational abilities. When you try things they may click or may not  but youre guaranteed to have no improvement if you dont try things...the defense  is poor he has to try and implement different strategies  when a defense is poor individually it has to be strong collectively and as a result of this to think that defense  and the midfield and forward lines are seperate entities is hilarious  and amateur.......this is what Im getting from mosts posts they say the midfield is good but the defense is poor the defense begins from the forwards pushing the team to one side with the midfield closing and compressing the space together with the defense and it all has to be done in sync or else it leave s spaces to be exploited....

Offline UK_Soca_warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 10:56:38 AM »
There are some good points made in this thread. And with out a doubt, my cringe level gets higher when the ball action surrounds our defence. I mean when dawg try to knee/head/kick  ???the ball away against Wales in the first 2 mins, I thought, lawwwwd!!! Dat aint rite! An he playin fuh Rangers in Champions league. Now I just using that as an example, and not singling him out as the main culprit. But bottom line is,

We have no organised defensive plan when we loose possession (All 11 players).
We dont track runners off the ball,
We dont press teams from midfield. In fact this is a job for our strikers too. Defend from the front!

If yuh look at all top teams, they are solid! Always with two solid banks of 4, and most importantly-A holding midfileder! E.g Claude Makele, or Roy Keane. A general barking orders, and breaking up plays-A buffer between midfield and defence. Yorke aint dat, he too stylish and not enough agression. Birchall is the most obvious one, but he better suited attacking for us.

I think, and as much as it pains me, we need to revert to a more pragmatic/counter attacking approach. Solid and rigid defence, and mid-field. No more "total football" like yesterday!

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 10:57:17 AM »
The defending as a unit is all good but individual errors will always cost us especially at the highest level. Look at the goals we concede and the chances we give. alot r due to individuals makin errors wether it be not clearin the ball or a loose pass in midfield or players not gettin tight enough. they need to cut down on errors. our passing is too slow they have to pass the ball harder the amout of times we give the ball up cheaply isnt funny. I have faith that wen its time we will perform well, we always do wen we need to.

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 11:00:18 AM »
 Â    We HAVE TO PLAY WITH 4 DEFENDERS at least!! Oh shit man!! Dear Lord I pray that Marvin Andrews starts on June 10th!! If not, then play Brent Sancho in his place or Ian Cox! Leave Cyd as right back or leave him out totally!!!! We have to stick with the blasted 4 defenders, and anything else in front is fine but we must have 4 defenders!!! Dear Lord I pray that Cyd Gray will ONLY be on the team as a right back and nothing else! Carlos must play IN FRONT of Gray running the mother arse flank!! You cyah demote Carlos and play him as right back that takes our whole right side attack out of the game!! Carlos and Gray were playing very very well against Wales in the first half before brother Marvin came off! Our right must stay. Put in Sancho if you have to and make he and Cyd communicate and talk in practice to learn so that they can play properly together if Dog is out!!! Oh shit man and have Whitley or Samuel in front of Avery, doh turn Avery into some left winger WHICH HE IS NOT! Jeez Leo, come on!!

J.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power." 

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline masterblaster

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 11:34:59 AM »
Football nowadays is about fitness and using yuh head.  How yuh think the USA getting better all the time and can beat any team in the world on any given day.

Skill is important but it can be substituted for hard work.  However, the skill level of the defenders on all the top teams is very high and it shows in their composure on the ball.  Mistakes at the back are rear at this level and has to be forced by the opposition.  But with our defense a mistake can happen at any time.

It may be too late to correct this flaw, so Beenie will have to resolve that our best defense will be our offense.  We will need some excellent performances by our strikers in order to withstand the pressure.  One striker definitely will not be sufficient.  We have to outscore our opponents!!!

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 11:57:18 AM »
He might want to joggle the line up a bit or experiment. Check this out mosts old timers or I would say coaches would not experiment with a defensive midfield at wing back. The point I'm tryna prove is that the defenders of old are not cutting it in these times. Bennie must be willing to place speed back there or players that can creates not just defend. Well I will add to this with Mr. His slip up or I meant Hislop. He had much to do with this as the others... why can he learn to hold on to the darn ball? I think that other feller needs to stand in goal.

The other fella!!!???
ALERT! ALERT! WAGGONIST ON BOARD!!!  :o :o ;D

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 01:02:15 PM »
In order to have an ok world cup we will have to play very deep to cover our defense. This makes scoring very difficult cause Stern is not a man to run at defenders and create.

Playing deep would have been ok if we were good on set pieces. Unfortunately we have nothing out of the ordinary on set pieces. So realstically we are going to prob see a lot of goaless games. I just hope it is on both sides of the scorecard.

Marv and tallest read the game well. Individually they can add to a defense. Together they don't have synergy because both of them slow.
Cyd has real pace but he remind me of them cartoon characters. They foot does be moving fast but they not making progress. I will always remeber Cyd as Hernon Mendez son. Cyd  have goo pace good but as a footballer he doh use it effectively. He hot headed and he doh track back well. I thinks he is more of a liability than an asset.

Men complain bout Dwight not playing defense in the midfiled. That is not true. In the games before Beenie start experimentitng all the commentators spoke of Dwigt's work rate. The man used to run the whole field and put in some crucial tackles.

Now real people say this game show how much we need dog. I not saying dog not important. We need to consider all the games where dog look good were against weaker opponents who weren't pressing as much. The defence still look shady in the friendlies we win. Is just that the other teams weren't testing enough to truly expose it. That Iceland games had it's moment where we all know a better team would have converted. Even with the performance and fluidity we had then, better opposing strikers would have sunken us.

Who knows hopefully Birchie have a couple more bullets in the gun and tallest have a goal or two off the corners and we can sneak a couple by and take three points.

Beenie really thought he could have sprung a suprise. We need to forget bout that an hope for some divine intervention. Hopefully the ball will fall for Stern and Berchie again and they will score. We always claiming God is a Trini. Keep the faith.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 01:36:40 PM »

The other fella!!!???

Yo! Who is this do you play ball or in tournaments around DC/MD? Anyway what is this waggonnist stuff?

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 01:44:06 PM »

The other fella!!!???

Yo! Who is this do you play ball or in tournaments around DC/MD? Anyway what is this waggonnist stuff?

:flamethrower:

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 01:47:30 PM »

The other fella!!!???

:flamethrower:

Cool it hammer ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 01:53:09 PM »
What thee ass is this? Like thee feds in here! How you know me paps?

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 01:58:22 PM »

The other fella!!!???

The mere fact that you are asking this question leaves me to believe that you have just arrived on this forum after 2+ years of it's existance.

AH WELL BETTER LATE THAN NEVER BUT AS I SAID BEFORE

ALERT ALERT AWATT TEAMS MOVE IN TO SECURE A PERIMETER SEARCH EVERY DOG HOUSE, HENHOUSE, BACHAC HOLE ......... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 02:00:59 PM by grskywalker »

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 01:59:50 PM »
Check yuh message Wehitis :devil:
Live large and prosper!

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 02:07:39 PM »

A doc them men need ah defender... ah think you and les could make tha squad you know!

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 02:12:52 PM »

A doc them men need ah defender... ah think you and les could make tha squad you know!
Not a chance .... not even when ah was better ;D. BTW take care yuh wife doh read de board and find out bout that rendezvous in South beach eh :devil:
Live large and prosper!

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 02:28:59 PM »
I'm a bachelor!

1]; } ?>