April 28, 2024, 08:50:36 AM

Author Topic: From a Swedish perspective  (Read 13398 times)

Offline BigSwede

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
From a Swedish perspective
« on: May 29, 2006, 06:34:51 AM »
Greetings from a slightly ( :)) colder part of the world and congratulations on earning a place in the WC! I'm glad to have found my way to your forum as I must confess my knowledge of T&T football is rather limited, and the reports in our national newspapers and tv isn't quite as helpful as one would like concerning T&T.

When talking to other swedes about the opening game many seem to think T&T will be an easy win for us, a view I suppose stems from the fact that we know very little about T&T football. The only player most people recognize is Dwight Yorke (from his very successful spell in Man U). As the English premier league is televised live every saturday (and has been since the 70s), some of us are also acquainted with Shaka Hislop and the, in my view, excellent Stern John. Having been to Ibrox a few times, Big Marv is also on that list. Other than that I (we) know very little. Reading about your pre-WC friendlys vs Rapid Wien and Wales, it seems you have some work to do before opening day. On the other hand, your win against Iceland showes some of your potential.

Our own friendlys have not been exactly thrilling affairs to be honest, a small comfort is the fact that our three big stars have been rested and hopefully they can bring some class to our offence. The starting forward line-up will (barring injury) be Henrik Larsson and Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Henrik Larsson is an integral player for us, and having just returend from a Champions League win with his Barcelona, seems to be better than ever. He has great vision and superb stamina, often running the defence ragged in the second half. Not as fast anymore (he is 34 years old), but a player who makes his teammates better. Zlatan Ibrahimovic has had a rather slow season in Juventus, but they did win the Italian league and he has been their starting forward (although he hasn't scored a lot this year). He is a big and strong player, with excellent technique and often does the unexpected. When these two are playing well they are a match for any defence in the world and they complement each other very well. Our back-up forwards are not in the same league (Rosenberg playing in Ajax is  a speedy forward, good in the box but very much reliant on others to make the play. Allback won the goalscoring title in the Danish league, and is a typical poacher - invicible for long streches of time, but has a great feel for the goal and deacent first touch). Our third major player is unfoubtedly Fredrik Ljungberg of Arsenal, recent runners-up in the Champions League. Ljungberg is a speedy mid-fielder who runs his heart out in every game. In Arsenal, as well as in the national team, he typically makes runs from a winger position in deep behind the cental defence creating an extra dimension of attack, drawing coverage and making space for his teammates. Ljungberg scored seven or eight goals in the qualifiers and is the player who draws more fouls and yellow cards than any other in the premier league (mostly due to his very quick accelerations). Actually the fastest player in Arsenal (beating even Thierry Henry) over six yards.

Our midfield, apart from Ljungberg, consist of Kim Kallstrom, Tobias Linderoth, Christian Wilhelmsson. Linderoth is our "cleaner", the link between the defence and the midfield, he is like a terrier - rather small, very tough and tireless - and he is the key to our defenceive play. Kallstrom recently signed for French champions Lyon and is a left-footed, creative midfielder with good vision and a great shot, a bit slow sometimes and still very young - we're hoping this will be his break through tournament. As for the right side of mid-field, this spot is still open and must be considered our weak spot. Wilhelmsson of Anderlecht has been playing there in the qualifiers, but his form is rather poor. At his best he is a quick, irrational player who likes to challenge his opponents. We all hope he gets it together in time, because our options for this position are not all that good.

The defence is usually solid, although injury to our central defender and captain Mellberg (Aston Villa) makes matters more uncertain. He is playing again but has not had much of a season. Commanding in the air and supprisinly quick, he must be at his best if we are to progress. Right now it seems to be either Teddy Lucic (former Bundesliga and EPL-player, now in a domestic club) or Petter Hansson (Herenveen, Holland) who will play alongside Mellberg. They are similar in style - tall, decent with the ball and good markers. Neither is particularly quick (unfortunately), but both are quite experianced. Left back Erik Edman (Rennes, France) is also coming back from injury. An attacking left back with a great left foot. Good tackler and decent speed. Having no natural right back in the team, the choise will either be Alexandersson (defensive mid-fielder now playing domstically) or Mikael Nilsson (Panathinaikos, Greece). Nilsson has looked the better of the two in the friendlies, but we'll see who Coach Lagerback will choose come game day.

Sweden will play 4-4-2 with a solid, organized defence and several different attacking options. Traditionally we have relied on speed in the mid-field and counter attack football, but with Zlatan in the team we can now much more than before also hold the ball in attack. Sweden has, as usual under coach Lagerback, looked solid in the qualifiers, but now the real test begins.

How will T&T be playing? From what I have seen and read you seem to play 4-3-3, but effectivly play 4-5-1 when under preassure. Your central defence seem big and strong, but perhaps lacking a bit in pace? Stern John presents a real danger to the opposition, but how can you keep him from being isolated? What are your strong and weak points in defence and attack? Who are your most important players? Whats your game plan?

What are your view on the opening game?

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
Re: From a Swedish perspective
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 06:50:15 AM »
Swede spy!!!lol... welcome!!!uhh... we dont use the 4-3-3 formation but rather more for the 4-5-1... our team will use 4-4-2 quite effectively and will provide an extremely tough challenge for ur team... especially if corneal glenn is fit to play... do ur research on him... lol

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 07:05:02 AM »
You not telling us what we do not know allready, the thing is, everyone knows about Sweden and England but no one knows much about T&T and Paraguay, so good try my friend. We will remain unknown until the world cup, and dont let the friendly games fool yuh, you just had a 0-0 tie in your last game as well, but right now we just working on a few techniques.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 07:10:29 AM »
Swede spy!!!lol... welcome!!!uhh... we dont use the 4-3-3 formation but rather more for the 4-5-1... our team will use 4-4-2 quite effectively and will provide an extremely tough challenge for ur team... especially if corneal glenn is fit to play... do ur research on him... lol

Dear Big Swede ... welcome ... its cool to know you are trying to learn obout our country ... thanks for the info on your team also ... but I ce was incorrect we will be using Brian Lara as our main striker, whit a fella named Chanders as his partner ... please relay this message to your coaching staff ... by the way we will also be using Ato Boldon in goal ... if you need any more info i will be happy to provide it ...
Snake in de balliser

Offline The_Ice

• Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 07:14:36 AM »
oh sh!t man... i real dotish when it comes to football... i forgot lara was on the squad... dont worry abt me... that corneal glenn fella plays cricket and dont know squat abt football

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 07:16:54 AM »
Dwayne Bravo should be out of injury in time for the sweeden match..
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline BigSwede

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 07:18:15 AM »
So I guess you'll have the worlds fastest goalkeeper  ;D. We'll just tell Zlatan to shout "Ready, Set...Go!" and then roll the ball into the open net ;)

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 07:20:08 AM »

Dear Big Swede ... welcome ... its cool to know you are trying to learn obout our country ... thanks for the info on your team also ... but I ce was incorrect we will be using Brian Lara as our main striker, whit a fella named Chanders as his partner ... please relay this message to your coaching staff ... by the way we will also be using Ato Boldon in goal ... if you need any more info i will be happy to provide it ...
oh sh!t man... i real dotish when it comes to football... i forgot lara was on the squad... dont worry abt me... that corneal glenn fella plays cricket and dont know squat abt football
I don't know what the point of these responses are when this forum is replete with forumites opinions on our players, their selections etc. ???
Live large and prosper!

Offline BigSwede

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 07:21:52 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and the (honest  ;) )replys. How is Big Marv by the way, still injured?

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 07:22:44 AM »

I don't know what the point of these responses are when this forum is replete with forumites opinions on our players, their selections etc. ???

man is jess kicks we ketching on de man relax hoss.!

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 07:23:38 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and the (honest  ;) )replys. How is Big Marv by the way, still injured?

He still has a little knock.. doh worry he will be fine in time for you guys...

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline The_Ice

• Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 07:25:11 AM »

wuz trying to confuse the opponents  >:( lmao

Offline BigSwede

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 07:26:43 AM »
Sounds good. Seen his a couple of times at Ibrox, and he's (in my view) a really good player. Could be an interesting match-up against Zlatan I think.

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 07:27:59 AM »
Sounds good. Seen his a couple of times at Ibrox, and he's (in my view) a really good player. Could be an interesting match-up against Zlatan I think.

No match up.. Zlatan wont be able to handle Marvin Dog Andrews

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline The_Ice

• Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 07:31:45 AM »
ever see a Birchall rocket???  ;D  for ur sake i hope ur keeper can handle one

Offline BigSwede

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 07:32:53 AM »
Btw Sam, not trying to tell you anything you don't already know, just giving my view on our team and trying to learn more about yours. If there is anything you would like to know about the swedish team, just ask and I'll give you my thoughts on the matter.

Offline BigSwede

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 07:40:33 AM »
Never seen such a rocket, no... Hope to see one against, lets say, England. Just realized I never commented on our goalie. Andreas Isaksson signed for Juventus at age 17, moved back to Sweden and won the league with Djurgarden. Later replaced Peter Chech at Rennes, where he now plays. He has (like so many others) been injured this season, but seems to be fit enough now and played the last five or six games for Rennes this season. A tall goalie, with very good reflexes although he can still improve on positioning on corners and crosses. Still only 22-23 years old, but very promising. A great shot-stopper, so I'd rather se a rocket fired his way than crosses between him and our central defenders. Yorke still lethal in that area I guess..?

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 07:40:58 AM »
Welcome BigSwede.   Glad you took the time to visit and share your thoughts.

Sweden will NOT be a push over for any team in this tourney.  You guys always play hard and do well.  I am much more concerned about Larsson than any other player on your team.  He is proven at all levels of the game and is a constant thorn in defenses the world over...from Scottish leagues to Champions league to th World Cup.  Admittedly, T&T should pose no trouble to Sweden on paper, but the game is played on the field and I for one hopes that we give a good account of ourselves and give you a hard time and hopefully, spring the surprise.

Good luck and see you in Germany.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 07:42:18 AM »
I've heard that Ljungberg would miss the first group game due to injury, and was actually trying to recover in time for the second.

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 07:43:01 AM »
Btw Sam, not trying to tell you anything you don't already know, just giving my view on our team and trying to learn more about yours. If there is anything you would like to know about the swedish team, just ask and I'll give you my thoughts on the matter.

yes ... will the team be bringing cheerleaders ... Big Swede just joking ...all in good fun ....
Snake in de balliser

Offline BigSwede

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2006, 07:52:47 AM »
I agree truetrini, the game is played on the field and not on paper. I think (and hope) the game will be interesting and exciting. Every game in a WC is difficult, and every nation playing there has earned their spot through a tough qualifying tournament.

Ljungberg has suffered a bruised bone (according to the papers) and is currently in rehab (resting I guess). I am sure he will play the opening match (although he perhaps should be rested), just like he has played the important games for Arsenal this season. He has had this injury for quite some time and still played for Arsenal. From what I gather, two bones in his foot grind against one another and causes swelling and pain, and he is usually on cruches the day after a match. The swelling and pain goes away in a few days and he can play again (with some painkilling injections anyway). He will be in pain, but then again that's something he's used to, since he always seem to be injured one way or another.

It would be a big loss for us if he can't play because much of our attacking game relies on his runs form the mid-field

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2006, 07:53:36 AM »

Hey Big swede

Thanks for your open and candid perspectives on the swedish team

Truth is like everything else in the world , the davids usually know more about goliaths, than the goliaths know about david (to use a bad analogy)
A lot of the posters on here follow european football religiously, so a lot of the info you posted may seem redundant to many

I'm sure a scan of previous topics or threads with regard to T&T games will give you a lot of the info you need and at the same time make you seem extremely knowledgeable when you are sitting with your friends watching sweden play its first game... a game that you folks are going to lose by the way  ;)

Like everwhere else on the planet there are diverse personalities in here, some may seem a little abrasive with their replies, (as an example Sam is known as an online and offline enforcer) dont take that to heart, they are all patriots and a good bunch of guys, stick around you may pick up some info that will make you the football guru of small unknown teams when next youre having a drink at your local bar

Good luck to your team....oh did I mention your boys are going to lose?  :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 08:05:18 AM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 08:01:18 AM »
 Sweden is a big team in the WC.

Most people here only concentrating on England because a good result against them (even a draw) will be something to celebrate and talk about for years to come.

But in my opinion Sweden have the goods to top the group and go very far in this WC.

Abramhovic could turn out to be the scorer of the tournament with his size and pace.

But doh ever underestimate the Magician when he on de ball.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline BigSwede

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 08:04:18 AM »
Thanks for the helpful post Dutty, and I will most certainly read previous topics and threads in the forum, and should maybe have done my research a little bit better before starting this thread... If I come off as patronizing or ignorant I do apologise. I'll try to limit my redundancy to stating, what will surely soon be a fact, that Sweden will win on the 10th  ;)

Offline The_Ice

• Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 08:08:33 AM »
Thanks for the helpful post Dutty, and I will most certainly read previous topics and threads in the forum, and should maybe have done my research a little bit better before starting this thread... If I come off as patronizing or ignorant I do apologise. I'll try to limit my redundancy to stating, what will surely soon be a fact, that Sweden will win on the 10th ;)

its good to dream sometimes :P

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 08:10:08 AM »
Thanks for the helpful post Dutty, and I will most certainly read previous topics and threads in the forum, and should maybe have done my research a little bit better before starting this thread... If I come off as patronizing or ignorant I do apologise. I'll try to limit my redundancy to stating, what will surely soon be a fact, that Sweden will win on the 10th  ;)

Nah... Not on the 10th.. probably some other date!

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006, 08:13:37 AM »

Yuh jus get downright disrepectful.

We have ah saying " God doh sleep".

Be very carefull it have men here who could plant crapaud wid padlock on yuh front step . :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline The_Ice

• Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 08:16:58 AM »
maybe you mean this game

Germany (GER) : Sweden (SWE)

Friendly 2006 GELSENKIRCHEN, GERMANY - 16.08.2006

nah not germany... try a lil earlier like against paraguay

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 08:31:06 AM »

Big Swede ... you play England on the 15th ..not the 10th .... but thats ok ... i know you will be little anxiuos after losing to the Soca Warriors ...
Snake in de balliser

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 08:36:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum Big Swede. Thanks for the team info but as the other guys have said we are well acquainted with Swedish players and the WC history of the Swedish team. We all look forward to playing you guys, but of course for us England is the big fish. Hey Big Swede what is Martin Dahlin doing these days. I used to really enjoy watching him play, his dad is from our neighbour to the south, Venezuela.

Peace
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 08:49:25 AM by Pointman »
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

1]; } ?>