April 28, 2024, 09:02:17 PM

Author Topic: England's Rivals: Trinidad & Tobago: Amazing pace and power of Scotland  (Read 1374 times)

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
England's Rivals: Trinidad & Tobago: Amazing pace and power of Scotland
By Phil Gordon
Published: 04 June 2006

The Independent

North of Hadrian's Wall, it is the stuff of dreams: Scotland knocking England out of the World Cup. For Jason Scotland, turning fantasy into reality might earn him undying gratitude from his adopted country - not bad for a player who could not get a work permit to remain in Britain.

The Soca Warriors are an eclectic bunch, drawn from all parts of these islands - from Wrexham to the Potteries - yet the gifted Scotland, who had more right than most to be part of Trinidad and Tobago's biggest sporting story, would still be sitting back at home if it had not been for the persistence of the St Johnstone manager, Owen Coyle.

The former Bolton striker was dumbfounded when Scotland was refused permission last year to stay at Dundee United by the Home Office and a Premier League tribunal. Scotland's world collapsed. He packed his bags, but Coyle persuaded the pacy forward to sign for the First Division side, who then submitted a new permit claim, which was accepted.

Scotland rewarded Coyle with 15 goals as top scorer, and with T & T enduring a wretched sequence of friendly defeats, the St Johnstone manager feels Scotland - one of six Trinnies earning a living north of the border - could be Leo Beenhakker's secret weapon. "Jason has amazing pace and is composed in front of goal, and I don't think he'll let his country down."

Scotland felt a sense of injustice at being told by the Home Office he was "not of the highest calibre" given that the first of his 25 caps came six years ago. But he has gone from outcast to cause célèbre. His face adorns billboards advertising Irn Bru - "Scotland's Other National Drink" - and the striker senses a Caledonian conversion to the Caribbean cause. "Every time I meet people they wish me luck and insist I do my best against England," he said. "This is my second home now."

« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 02:05:00 AM by oconnorg »
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
You've double posted, Mr. G. The latter four paragraphs are the same as the first.

In other news, I'm incensed that people can't get something as simple as "Trinis" right. Yet another reason why I dislike the Independent.
-be the change you wish to see-

1]; } ?>