March 28, 2024, 07:32:59 AM

Author Topic: No More Trinity Cross Award  (Read 1727 times)

MickeyRat

No More Trinity Cross Award
« on: June 02, 2006, 12:04:54 PM »
I playing devil’s advocate now, leh meh hear allyuh!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: No More Trinity Cross Award
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 12:31:20 PM »
On de one hand I can understand how people will feel excluded that the highest honour of your country onlly represents a certain segement of that same country

On the other hand, its my understanding that the ting named after trinidad/trinity hills...and not trinity in the religious form

so dey go hadda change the name of trinity hills too

ah well, I like the new name

now dat whomever has succeeded in this extremely important issue, I guess we could move on to addressing lil chupidness like crime, unemployment, poverty an ting
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 06:06:22 PM »
Buy this logic we should change the name of the coutry cause ultimately we named after the trinity. While I understand their point of view you can to choose you battles, and at the end of the day you must ask who benefits from your battle. The Judge could have better spend his presiding over some pending criminal matter, isn't that a better use of tax payer dollars. So we have Indian arrival day, emancipation day, but what about the other members of the population, should they not now cry out.

Offline ndookie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 07:55:56 PM »
So are the complications and limitations of unity in a society like trinidad's one...

Until we learn to move in unison to fight the real problems , as dutty state them..we will not move forward , this bickering on and on , doesnt help anyone...
Glory Glory Man Utd !

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 09:56:59 PM »
The Theological side

I was raised Christian but I can say that the Trinity Cross is of no significance to my faith. Maybe Preacher could correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Bible say that we should not create graven images ? And if that is indeed so, Christians should not be carried away by any tangible symbol of their faith. There's the theological side of it.

The Legal side

The judgement made was that the award was discriminatory in the context of the tenents of the Constitution. Though as I stated earlier ,I do not subscribe to the view that Trinity cross is symbolic  of the Christian faith, I will conceed that for the vast majority of people it is indeed a religious smybol  that finds its habit in the form of a national award and our Nation's highest award at that. Therefore I agree with the judgement in principle.

The Political Side

I think if we had no national award and tommorow we had to create one definately the Trinity Cross would not be the manifestation of our collective ideas. That being said I think a broader perspective is necessary to examine the situation. We have Sat Maharaj and a senior Muslim leader (forgive me, I don't remember the gentleman's name) represented by Anand Ramlogan filing a constitutional motion.The very same Sat Maharaj (excellent record with race relations) whose son basically leads the local chapter of GOPIO ( I really don't  think people need to hear about their record so i'll just leave it at socachutney warriors.) The judgement is made and days later at Indian Arrival day celebrations, Maharaj and the leader of the opposition share a platform of oratory laced with the political rhetoric of race. My sincere opinion is that this whole thing has nothing to do with a cry for equality and an end to discrimination and everything to do with an elite that finds its identity in race ,wishing to flex its political muscles. The very same leader of opposition and her colleagues at the UNC in another dispensation possessed the reigns of power for 6 years and did nothing to change the award. This is not to say that present government is doing something about because its happening after a court decision. The bottom line is the implicit sentiment of "when the PNM is there you are second citizens and when UNC is there you are first class citizens", irrespective of the condition of your life is bullshit because we are all equally worthless in the eyes of both parties.

Conclusion

Change the name of the award in the name of equality and forget Sat, GOPIO, the UNC and the present government.

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:07:35 PM »
 we wasting time and money on dis folly and not completing de case against Sean Luke's Killlers and Asha's killers
I'm sorry folks but for this once i'm not proud tuh be a trini

MickeyRat

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 02:49:13 PM »
we wasting time and money on dis folly and not completing de case against Sean Luke's Killlers and Asha's killers

Start up a new thread my brother, nothing wrong with that.

Sean should never be forgotten.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 08:36:09 PM »

I'm not trying to be facetious but how do you propose to do that ?

1]; } ?>