April 25, 2024, 03:29:19 PM

Author Topic: A case of Naivity or Nerves?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline UK_Soca_warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
A case of Naivity or Nerves?
« on: June 03, 2006, 04:22:27 PM »
I find it very strange that our players are almost "shellshocked" into putting up a stiffer resistance when we faced Slovenia and Czech Rep. Infact, going back to 2004 when we were mauled 4-0 by Scotland, it was apparant that while we have some degree of skill and technical ability, the guys were mauled by a very mediorce and technically deficient side, only using a power game. Much like Germany 8-0 mauling of the Saudis in 2002.

Most if not all of our players play professional football full time. Most of our squad play in the lower English and Scottish Leagues. Those leagues are 100 mph of airball football and very rough house play. With little or no quality! So why is it, when as a full time pro, you watch and experience the speed and differing class levels of European football, but yet cant seem to raise your game from minute 1, and match these European teams with speed and aggression??

We cannot match them for technical ability as most teams in Europe are superior to us at this. But I dont care what anyone says, we have players who can come close to matching England and Brazil physically and with speed! Why dont we use it when it matters?

When Beenhakker said that the team arent used to the speed and physical play of European football, I agreed to an extent. He is 100 % correct in choosing the games he did. (Though I would have put the fixtures in reverse with the harder team, Czech Rep 1st, and the weaker Wales team today so we can record a morale boosting victory ;D).

But surely, as professional footballers, they should be more clued up to what to expect at this level, and get "battle ready!" Am I asking or assuming too much??

Nerves? Yes, our very first world cup, historic, no one wants to get injured and miss out (Good luck Silvio!!) But Yorke (Man U, Champions league experience) Hisliop (Newcastle- Champions league experience) Andrews (Rangers-Champions league experience) STERN "NO. 14" John-Premiership experience. What excuse is there for nerves, (if there are any) when you know what it is like to be at the end of 30-60,000 prying eyes week in, week out!?

I just think that, yes we arent a great side, yes we are not world class, but damn, we are a team. We have experience, youth, pace and power. Why cant we turn it on like some 3rd division teams do when they face premiereship teams in the FA Cup??

Like Chelsea Vs Colchester United where Chelsea struggled to score until the 60 or 70 minute, before they eventually ran out 3-1 winners. That is a great example of Trinidad Vs all 3 teams we will face. Like Colchester United, we dont have the "big stars" or ability. But Colchester matched Chelsea physically, worked on the basics (set pieces), defended with organisation, shocked them with an early goal, and frustrated them.

WE ARE BETTER THAN COLCHESTER UNITED (I would think  ???). And the Chelsea team that day is as strong as England will be on June 15th.

So what I want to see from Trinidad is Fight, do or die, use our strenghts to the best of our ability. Not get cold feet, and blame Naiviety. One World Cup, and could be one chance for many. Make use of it! 

Am I asking or assuming too much???   ???

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: A case of Naivity or Nerves?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 04:29:21 PM »
yuh ever played or coached in ah championship  game or tournament?

yuh ever had performance anxiety?

yuh ever had premature......ok yuh get it....

Come nah there is ah reason fuh friendly; yuh think is everyday we assemble a squad and go up aganist this kind of competition?

Oh lawd......ease off ah bit nah....

Offline UK_Soca_warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 04:39:09 PM »
yuh ever played or coached in ah championship  game or tournament?

yuh ever had performance anxiety?

yuh ever had premature......ok yuh get it....

Come nah there is ah reason fuh friendly; yuh think is everyday we assemble a squad and go up aganist this kind of competition?

Oh lawd......ease off ah bit nah....

I hear what you are saying, and I agree that we dont always have a team assemebled for a tournament. But Look at Slovenia in their first world cup, not a single star with Big team game experience to their name, but they aquitted themselves well despite the scoreline. Or better still, China. The only reason they did not progress from their group in 2002 is because they had a very weak attack. Forget the 4-0 to Brazil, they aquitted themselves well. Not one of their players possessed the quality or big game experience we have. And if big tournaments make our guys nervous, we have to snap that. Pressure and performing under expectation comes with the territory in World level football! I'm sure Ato Boldon would tell you from his experience in the Olympics, you gotta turn up sharpe and well prepared.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 05:27:02 PM »
Its certain that our players are naive at this level. Other than Yorke, Latas, Hislop and Andrews, none of the players have competed at a comparable level. Nerves ... no one but the players can answer that but its probable. Look at what you saying though ....

I find it very strange that our players are almost "shellshocked" into putting up a stiffer resistance when we faced Slovenia and Czech Rep. Infact, going back to 2004 when we were mauled 4-0 by Scotland, it was apparant that while we have some degree of skill and technical ability, the guys were mauled by a very mediorce and technically deficient side, only using a power game. Much like Germany 8-0 mauling of the Saudis in 2002.

If you put things into perspective when comparing Scotland and Trinidad you see that Theobald cant get playing time for Falkirk (one the weaker teams). Jason Scotland not playing Premiership.

So everything being relative Scotland is not that technically deficient or mediocre.

To our defence, Trinidad was not as well coached at that point in time either.

Most if not all of our players play professional football full time. Most of our squad play in the lower English and Scottish Leagues. Those leagues are 100 mph of airball football and very rough house play. With little or no quality!

I dont agree with your assessment but it might also say something about the relative quality of our players.

Remember Birchall came from the lower divisions in england and is a key player on our side.

I just think that, yes we arent a great side, yes we are not world class, but damn, we are a team. We have experience, youth, pace and power. Why cant we turn it on like some 3rd division teams do when they face premiereship teams in the FA Cup??

Like Chelsea Vs Colchester United where Chelsea struggled to score until the 60 or 70 minute, before they eventually ran out 3-1 winners. That is a great example of Trinidad Vs all 3 teams we will face. Like Colchester United, we dont have the "big stars" or ability. But Colchester matched Chelsea physically, worked on the basics (set pieces), defended with organisation, shocked them with an early goal, and frustrated them.

4 out of 5 times Chelsea will mash up Colchester. So I dont know if using those examples really proves anything. Also team sports are about match ups and who performs on the day. So although Colchester might hold Chelsea for 70 mins today, that doesnt mean they could hold them or another quality team for 70 mins tomorrow.

Basically I think the comparisons u make are a lil too simplified. There are other things besides being physically capable that will determine whether we can scrap a result againsts quality opposition.

All that really matters is what happen when the Cup start! Lets hope they find it in them to get, at the very least, a respectable performance.

Offline UK_Soca_warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 06:29:55 PM »
Hello DWN,

1. That Scotland TEAM was mediocre! (Not league!!! TEAM!!!) Even Scottish press, and ex players said that going into the match. The example I used was to sum up that the guys had prior experience of this play at international level, so get used to it!!

2. The comparison of lower league football with little or no quality is very true. I see it week in, week out. The Championship is a lil different. I'll admit they have improved in the last 10 years, but there is still that long ball high intensity game. Which proves my point again! That they play in it, so get used to it! Nothing to do with comparing the Trinidad players quality to the rest of the players in the lower league. I was referring to the style of play FAST AND HARD!!

3. I used a simplified example of Chelsea versus Colchester, because that is one of many I can use. I'm not writing a dissertation here or a book on all the possible permutations of winning a football match. I am just giving some quick points on how Colchester prepared for that ONE game, and how it allowed them to give a fighting performance.

And, your point about Chelsea winning 4 or 5 times against Colchester on any given day is a very mute point. EVERY ONE KNOWS THAT. And guess what!??  On any given day England can smash TnT 6 or 8 nil! I dont want that, so I want them to be prepared to give a fighting performance.

You completely mis-read, mis-understood my points. It is about fight and preparation for the style of football we gonna encounter. Let me simplify it for you;

We have played against physical and fast teams before at club and international level, so we should know what to expect and prepare for it!!!!

Thanks!
 ;)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 07:59:29 PM »
I see what you're saying UK soca Warrior, and I think DWN also made some good points in suggesting that the issue is a little too complicated to sum up in a discussion thread with isolated examples. But I have thought about what you said many times previously.

What I think it comes down to is psychology. Football is very mental, and a true professional is able to both keep the a constant level of mental focus across footballing platforms, and in addition is able to adapt to different circumstances when needed.

I think T&T players suffer from the first case, where despite playing at high intensity levels for their lower level clubs, a certain pshyce sets in when the National strip is worn, and AS A TEAM, the Trinidad style of football sets into the mental, and it is hard as hell to train themselves out of it.....at least so it  would seem....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>