April 25, 2024, 03:39:22 PM

Author Topic: Beenhakker positive in loss  (Read 2103 times)

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Beenhakker positive in loss
« on: June 03, 2006, 08:06:04 PM »
Beenhakker positive in loss

Czech Republic 3 / Trinidad and Tobago 0
Stephen Morissey at Toota Arena

Sunday Herald

You had to admire the attitude of Trinidad and Tobago’s Dutch coach Leo Beenhakker, if little else, after this comprehensive defeat for his Soca Warriors.

With their World Cup finals debut just a week away, a third consecutive friendly defeat – this time to the consistently crafty Czech Republic – would be enough to make most managers a mite tetchy. Not so the phlegmatic doyen of the Caribbean side.

“My players are not used to this way of football, to football they especially play here in Europe,” said the Beenhaaker, seemingly oblivious to the fact that a large portion of his side play for clubs in Great Britain – that oft-forgotten segment of the continent.“It's much more faster and much more physical than they're normally used in their clubs.

“But I prefer to have the problems now ... I prefer that [my players] are surprised now instead of next week after the Sweden match.”

The man makes a fine point but after losing 2-1 to Wales and 3-1 to Slovenia, avoiding defeat here would have brought succour ahead of their opening match against experienced operators Sweden. Ultimately, though, stemming the flow of Czech goals after three was a good afternoon’s work for his one-paced and ageing side.

Under pressure from the off, the only real opportunity for the visitors’ came on the counter in the early stages, when Stern John managed to force Chelsea custodian Petr Cech into a blocking save. That apart, the hosts dominated – aided by some inept defending, a fact Beenhakker admitted.

“They scored the goals and we prepared the goals,” he said, adding his team still has a chance to improve. “I can assure you we've learned a lot. If it's enough, we will see.”

Rangers new signing Libor Sionko played a half after being called into the Czech squad as a replacement for the injured Vladimir Smicer but it was Jan Koller, recently returned after a season-long hiatus with a knee problem, who stole the show for the hosts.

The veteran striker – the heaviest player in the 32 finals squads and taller than Peter Crouch – scored twice and set up another in a dominant display. Just six minutes had elapsed when the Czech Republic's all-time leading scorer nodded in a delicious Karel Poborsky cross to break the seal on the contest and by the mid-point of the half, he offered colleague Pavel Nedved the opportunity to add to the goalscoring.

Collecting the ball from Milan Baros with his back to goal inside the area, he flicked a precise pass to Nedved, who volleyed past diving goalkeeper Kelvin Jack.

Koller’s second, five minutes from half-time, was the pick of the bunch. Nedved started the action, releasing Poborsky, and when he crossed low, the striker ended the contest.

04 June 2006
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: Beenhakker positive in loss
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 08:09:46 PM »
Encouraging to read.

What can you do but keep doing your best and keep on moving... we dont have any time to sulk... lets just try to hold our heads high and keep the support 100% as usual.

since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 08:34:55 PM »
Exactly...
WIn lose or draw... I am a soca warrior...

Offline paddy

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 09:01:51 PM »
Beenie is no fol.. this was an important game for the team regardless of result. THis was alll about preparation, getting battle hardened and ready for the fight. Beenie could have picked an easy team, but he picked the no 2 team in the world. that shows his ambition, and level of preparation. The team on steep learning curve, but they have learnt a huge amount, they playing as a team and they will suprise more than a few people now.

Soca warriors will never give in or lose heart, they play to win to the last second. They are playing as a team and well organised.

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 09:13:23 PM »
Lets hope he can stay positive for 5 more days....Can we still make the 2nd round?
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 09:37:54 PM »
Exactly...
WIn lose or draw... I am a soca warrior...

That is exactly right!  We are athe Soca Warriors, forever!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline masterblaster

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 11:42:40 PM »
The day we go through the first half of a game without conceding a goal.....whatever team that is, (I don't care what their rankin) in REAL trouble.  Bcz our confidence will grow from not giving away a tame gift goal to the opposition!!!

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 06:39:42 AM »

COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 07:52:22 AM »
i eh worried i have full faith
i know we go pull it together

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 08:17:11 AM »

“They scored the goals and we prepared the goals,” he said,

Beenie summed up the game best in that quote right there. And that has been our weakness in all the recent warm up matches. If we can focus for 95 minutes and keep our mental discipline in the back, we can restrict teams to perhaps only 1 quality goal (Nedved's for example) but we have make them work for it and not give them gifts as we have been doing. We also need to start playing before the 45 minute interval. Mike Tyson used to say he only knew he was in a boxing match when he got hit, it appears it's the same with TnT, that we only realise we're in a game, when we're picking up the ball from the back of the net. That mentality has to change,because we cannot afford to waste 45 minutes.

On the other side, we need to convert our chances, and i'm not going to say anything more about our 'prolific' number 14, enough has been said on the forum.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 08:34:42 AM by FLi ! »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline CarenageBoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 08:22:32 AM »
I continue to support the Soca Warriors as I always have. I am not disappointed in our loss. I didn't expect us to win against the Czech Rebuplic. The only thing I want us to do is play our first-halves just as well as our second halves.

For those in the foreign press who are laughing, remember this: (1) These guys are not playing for their lives yet. (2) England is no Czech Republic.

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 10:14:29 AM »
I think Beenie pretty much summed it up in his pre-match interview with Ruskin Mark. He said, That winning against a side like the Czech Rep is a wish and that as a manager he need to be realistic, what he would like to see is progression from the team and the abiltiy to make good plays and control the game at certain intervals during the match. With that said once we can shut out Sweden in the 1st half (which i think is generally our weaker half) we would have a great chance of upsetting them...I believe we can do it.....

2 D 2ND ROUND AND BEYOND 

Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

1]; } ?>