April 28, 2024, 10:57:41 PM

Author Topic: Platform? Nah ah eh believing it at all!  (Read 3321 times)

truetrini

Platform? Nah ah eh believing it at all!
« on: June 04, 2006, 07:30:28 AM »
It is time we separate all the hype surrounding the Soca Warriors qualification to the 2006 World Cup in Germany and deal with the harsh realities that abound.

We were floundering in the qualifictions with only one point after 3 qualification games.  Bertille St Clair did his best, but it appeared that his best was NOT good enough….Enter Leo Beenie –Man Beenhackker.

A more determined and organized team took to the field and we made it to a play off with Bahrain after slipping past Mexico 2-1 at home on the final day of qualification.

We met a very poor Bahrain team and had much trouble penetrating their defenses at home in the first leg of the play-offs.  In fact they had many hearts beating awry when they scored on us, albeit against the run of play, with a header.  I was in the Haseley Crawford National Stadium that day, and I saw a man left unmarked to bang a header home.  A screamer from Chris Birchall restored the parity, but not entirely the confidence of the fans.

In all honesty, the players felt that they could still outplay Bahrain in Manama and qualify, and so with the stuff that bounds eternal, we went into their home and did what other teams before failed to do….Make it to the World Cup, when Dennis Lawerence rose to meet a Dwight Yorke header and blast it between a Baharani defender’s legs and into the net.  GOAL!!!!!

Celebrations!   I was in T&T and after walking unto the streets from my favourite watering hole where I had watched the game I was feeling like a new man.  “We make it!”  “We make it!” I told a man who asked me what was going on.  “Make what?” He queried.  I gave him one bad eye and kept walking without answering his question.

The streets began to swell with people and the air was filled with the honking and blaring of car horns.  I was wearing my Finta team shirt and plenty others were decked out in red shirts of some variety.

For a good week after that victory, the talk of the town was the Mighty Soca Warriors.  Even the fractioning politicians were talking about unifying power of the team.  I was proud as proud can be.

Fast forward to today.

We have played several warm-up matches and amid all the talk of “Beenie-man knows what he has to do to get the team ready,” to “we going to make it to the second round,” to the talk of “we winning the Cup,”  needs to be put to rest.

We need to enjoy the fact that we, Trinidad and Tobago, are in our first ever Finals!  We need to relish the fact that Cinderella has been invited to the Ball and we are going to dance, dance, dance!

We need to stop with the fantasy that this is going to be some sort of platform for future successes on the international football scene.  Because if history is a guide, nothing is going to change in terms of our football administration.  The TTFF will continue to be high handed and refrain from development, the Government will continue to display apathy toward sports and sportsmen/women, using them only for political mileage.  The vast majority of fans will continue to be fair weather fans….supporting only when things are going right.

Let me remind some of you who may have been too young to recall what happened when Crawfie won what remains to this day, our only Olympic Gold medal.

Big talk about “money is no problem.”  The government will ensure that we produce many more Haseley Crawfords.”  The stadium was built and that was it.  To this day we have not seen the fulfillment of that promise.  Look at how Ato Boldon was treated when he was denied his home.  When the man asked for his house they out a cap on how much the home was to cost.  Violating the promises made.

Have they built the swimming pool that they promised Mr. Bovell? 

When we had a narrow miss against the USA in 1989, did the TTFF implement any programme to ensure that there would be no repeat of that occurrence?  Has the TTFF developed any semblance of accountability?  Instead of developing football, the top dog of the TTFF is smack dab in the middle of political shenanigans or defending himself amid a flurry of accusations that he is corrupt!

Trinidad has been playing international football from before I was born.  So the lame excuse that we are unprepared for international football is passé.  We were not prepared well enough, before the advent of Beenhackker to acclimatize ourselves to the highest quality of international football.  That is the problem!  If we were to compare ourselves to Jamaica, you would see the glaring differences!  But despite that we are in the World Cup and Jamaica will be looking at the games on television.

So let us enjoy the dance, let us celebrate our involvement in what is the world’s biggest and best sporting celebration and event, and put to rest all the unrealistic expectations, praying for the best, but preparing for the worst.

Amen!

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Platform? Nah ah eh believing it at all!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 02:14:34 PM »
well said.....jus dance dance!

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 02:17:21 PM »
100% correct  :beermug:

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 02:20:14 PM »
its the truth. Hopefully things will continue to change for the positive with the new sponsorship money and improvements in player development infrastructure.

However, with this world cup, let us dream, but enjoy the dance for what it is. Enjoy our boys going out there and giving every damn ounce of energy out there.
Hart for president

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 02:21:14 PM »
real plenty to read..but i will asumme some sense was spoken...or am i being to confident?? :-\
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 02:29:01 PM »

So let us enjoy the dance, let us celebrate our involvement in what is the world’s biggest and best sporting celebration and event, and put to rest all the unrealistic expectations, praying for the best, but preparing for the worst.

Amen!

And what if God is ah Trini and he answer our prayers? What then?! Who pays for our extra hotel time & round two match tickets? Should we not prepare for such eventualities like a T&T vs Brazil final so that we are not caught out?!  ;)

Blind SW supporter saying we not only can but we will DEFINITELY win the World Cup!  >:(  ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 02:43:35 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 02:53:55 PM »
Wow.........Bravo...Bravo Truetrini :applause:

Offline lp

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 03:14:43 PM »
Why yuh had to come and wake man from sleeping and make them realize it was all a big dream......... KILLJOY ;D. Anyways enjoy de dance.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 03:52:07 PM »
Men will say that you are thinking small/negative or giving too much credit to other teams just because they have better players/programs.

We are destined for the second round and are beating England.

Why? Because we believe and the players believe and God is a trini. We don't need much more than that because the other teams not preparing or have the self-belief that we do. The funny thing is none of these great believers were around when the team was bottom of the hex and failing in the Gold Cup.

Seriously though we are the smallest team to qualify for a reason. A succesful passage to the next round will depend as much on the failure of other teams as anything we do.

But whatever happens the important thing is that we do not lose the significance of this event by investing in goals that are supplementary. We are NOT going to win the WC. The difference between leaving in the 1st round or a couple games later is not as significant as the fact that we are there and representing our country.

Not making the second round will be no embarrasment. As long as the players and team perform their best we will have a good showing. The team has improved we play a decent game and do not lose our composure. I don't see us getting any blowouts and we could well beat Paraguay. Man you doubting Beenhakker and saying that he is not WC pedigree smoking some strong shit and they will miss him when he gone.

Good post pardna, hope to see you in Germany.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 06:48:01 PM »
This is a wonderfull post from one of the pillars of the forum.

Patriot and I will be leaving Trinidad on Wednesday for Dortmund via Frankfurt. 

I hope to meet u guys at the Sweden Game!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 06:54:07 PM »
Preach on bredda!
Have fun!

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 09:10:33 PM »
Good post TT as usual.  :beermug:

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 09:19:27 PM »
I've posted a (very long) reply to some of the points truetrini raised on the blog, in the context of a more general ramble; I quoted him and linked to the forums. If anyone is interested, the link is here:

http://trinidadtobago.worldcupblog.org/1/a-matter-of-life-and-death.html

-be the change you wish to see-

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 09:21:39 PM »
As I was told in another thread Lincoln Phillips has plans for the continuity of the development of football in T&T after the WC and after Beenhaker depart our shores. I am yet to see anything in place. We hurriedly and excitedly put together an U-21 team to tour and has been defunct since and following closely was the tournament in Dallas, that we have heard nothing about since.

When will the paln go into action for 2010, if infact we have been asleep, we are in 2006.

You have never spoken the truth as this post did, and I admire that amongst the jubilation there exist some rationale as to what really is.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 09:22:29 PM »
Preach it truetrini.  Ah wish yuh was wrong but sadly yuh right.  Untill there is change in the TTFF T&T football will continue to stay the same.   So like yuh say leh we enjoy every damn minute of this experience because we doh know when we go have ah next chance like this.

1]; } ?>