April 28, 2024, 09:03:59 AM

Author Topic: A Tobagonian Perspective on the Soca Warriors  (Read 2582 times)

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
A Tobagonian Perspective on the Soca Warriors
« on: June 05, 2006, 04:01:26 AM »
Soca Warriors chances
On the Beat
Opoku Ware
Monday, June 5th 2006

TobagoNews.com

As promised, this column intends to keep our readers engaged in different aspects in the build-up to the 2006 FIFA World Cup tournament. This week we will examine the contingents of nationals being sponsored by Government and the THA to attend the tournament in Germany. It would also be important to continue to examine our Soca Warriors chances in the competition.

Now to the World Cup of Football. It is clear that the sport of football and the national cultures of the participating teams will be the highlight of the event in Germany, on and off the field, respectively. Therefore, any nation, which has earned qualification for the competition, should make maximum use of the opportunity and for a nation like Trinidad and Tobago, which is not sure, when again it may qualify for such a high profile tournament, such an opportunity must not be wasted.

It is against this background that I cannot understand the thinking by the government and the THA in terms of some of the persons they have selected to be sponsored by taxpayers' money to travel to Germany.

For example, I have heard no mention of the Original DeFosto Himself being selected on the Trinidad contingent even though he had one of the biggest songs on Germany World Cup 2006. I do hope De Fosto is on the trip for he is deserving. For sure I do know that Super Blue, the original Soca soccer Calypsonian has not been selected.

It was Super Blue who led the T&T cultural assault in the 1989 World Cup campaign and maybe such a trip could be of some help to him in his personal battles at present. Here is where the Calypso organisation should have made its voice heard, instead of trying to determine 'who is a calypsonian'.

As for the THA contingent, again we have 'missed the boat', while we must be elated by the family members of the Tobago players on the national team making the trip to Germany. However, the selection of the Tobago contingent can be classified as an insult to the Tobago football fraternity.

Such an opportunity should have been used to enhance the sport of football on the island.

This is why preference to the trip should have been given to those who have made and are making dedicated efforts to develop football in Tobago.

It is quite disturbing that the authorities have blanked former national junior football coach Peter Granville who has and is contributing massively to the development of soccer both in Tobago and Trinidad. Bertille St. Clair would have been my first choice Tobagonian for the Germany trip with Peter Granville as number two, but I doubt St. Clair would have chosen to go in such a manner. Therefore, Granville must be Tobago's number one choice. Since obtaining his coaching qualifications from the English FA, Granville has done extensive coaching in Tobago and Trinidad.

He even coached several players on the Soca Warriors team including Colin Samuel, Kelvin Jack, Silvio Spann, Brent Sancho, Cornel Glen and Jason Scotland.

Granville has also coached a number of Tobago teams including Plymouth's Stokely Vale, Speyside's Sidey's, Calder Hall United and now Tobago's only professional football team, Tobago United. What about the other hardworking Tobago coaches such as Terry Williams of phoenix who runs a coaching school at Bon Accord.

Where is Rhodil Clarke? What about Tony Keith who has been doing excellent work among our young footballers for many years? What about some of the stalwarts who have contributed on the field of play in Tobago over the years? Instead, the THA have chosen persons to go to Germany who have never 'kicked a lime' in their lives.

What can they learn in Germany to bring back to the sport in Tobago. It is surely a mockery of a golden opportunity, no wonder our society is heading in the direction it is.
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: A Tobagonian Perspective on the Soca Warriors
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 04:22:58 AM »
Without seeing the list I cannot really comment about this article...But knowing who the writer is I must say that I do not give much weight to his writing.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 05:36:24 AM »
Without seeing the list I cannot really comment about this article...But knowing who the writer is I must say that I do not give much weight to his writing.

:rotfl: Then you know him quite well.. lol
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 06:39:15 AM »
Is it that you disagree with his point of view or does his political affiliation influence your opinion of his writing? ???
Live large and prosper!

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 07:23:13 AM »
"What can they learn in Germany to bring back to the sport in Tobago. It is surely a mockery of a golden opportunity, no wonder our society is heading in the direction it is".

Opoku does have a point, if the persons that he mentioned are not part of the contingent - then I cannot think of any other Tobagonian footballing professionals that should be there.

But in true Tobagonian fashion - we go leave it alone.

Rastaman, it's clear that you don't know Opoku (aka Norbert Payne) like we do. Norbert has always been for Tobago regardless of his political affiliations.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 08:23:12 AM »
"What can they learn in Germany to bring back to the sport in Tobago. It is surely a mockery of a golden opportunity, no wonder our society is heading in the direction it is".

Opoku does have a point, if the persons that he mentioned are not part of the contingent - then I cannot think of any other Tobagonian footballing professionals that should be there.

Rastaman, it's clear that you don't know Opoku (aka Norbert Payne) like we do. Norbert has always been for Tobago regardless of his political affiliations.

His political affiliations and personal demeanor makes it hard for some to take him seriously tho.. But I agree with you that he does have a couple good points.!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 09:26:11 AM »
Yes he has some excellent points. Terry Williams is the developmental coach for Tobago under Lincoln, so it stands to reason he should have been included. As they say the rich get richer
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 04:12:46 PM »

His political affiliations and personal demeanor makes it hard for some to take him seriously tho.. But I agree with you that he does have a couple good points.!

The younger generation will more or less have the same view regarding this gentleman. People like him and Walter Coppin kinda hard to take serious, especially when you grow up in the same village.
It ain't have nothing to do with political affiliations for me.

Like I said

1]; } ?>