March 29, 2024, 09:43:19 AM

Author Topic: Fenwick against Jones' Sunderland decision, Hislop agrees.  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fenwick against Jones' Sunderland decision, Hislop agrees.
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:34:36 PM »
Fenwick against Jones' Sunderland decision, Hislop agrees.
By: Lasana Liburd (T&T Express).

Wrong move ?

Clico San Juan Jabloteh coach and former Tottenham Hotspurs captain Terry Fenwick said yesterday that Trinidad and Tobago star striker Kenwyne Jones should have jumped at the opportunity to join the London-based club and suggested his agent might have missed a trick.

Jones, 23, was chased by England Premier League outfit, Tottenham, but on Tuesday, signed a new contract with his less established Premiership employers, Sunderland.

Fenwick, who supported his hometown club, Sunderland, as a boy but spent most of his professional career with London clubs, felt Jones might have benefitted from being more ruthless.

"I don't know the details of his new contract but, looking from the outside, Spurs are the bigger club," said the former England World Cup player. "He would have moved to a bigger team with bigger opportunities and a manager (Harry Redknapp) who he worked with before. So I think that moving to London would have given him a bigger profile altogether

"I am sure it is a big contract he signed with Sunderland. But whatever they offered, I am sure Tottenham could have done better."

Fenwick wondered whether Jones' agent might have acted prematurely in agreeing a new contract. He insisted that the only consideration should have been the future of the former St Anthony's College student.

"I think his agent should have been holding out for the right deal," said Fenwick. "Anywhere in the world, his agent would have been working his tail off to get him to somewhere bigger and better. Loyalty does not come into (it) because he has to look after his future.

"God forbid Sunderland got relegated, although I don't think they will, where would that put him? This might sound harsh to my hometown club but I don't (think) they will ever be on the same street as Tottenham."

But former 2006 World Cup goalkeeper and Football Players Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT) interim president Shaka Hislop felt there were compelling reasons for Jones to stay put and backed his decision.

Hislop played in England's North-east with Newcastle United and also for London club, West Ham, and figures that Jones may already be where he needs to be at this stage of his career.

"As long as Kenwyne is confident that Sunderland's ambitions meet his own then I see no problem," said Hislop. "Sunderland is a big, well supported club and Kenwyne knows and understands that he is young and still growing in the game. Sunderland will give him the opportunity to do that."

Hislop played for Tottenham boss, Redknapp, at Portsmouth and West Ham but feels that Jones might develop more alongside his Sunderland teammates like France international Djibril Cisse and Trinidad and Tobago captain Dwight Yorke.

"If you jump too early, it can be detrimental," said Hislop. "And Tottenham are in an even more precarious position than Sunderland anyway. So I think his decision is understandable."

W. Connection coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier, who was Jones' first professional coach, felt the striker might not be ready for the added pressure of a high-profile club like Tottenham where he may not be guaranteed playing time. He suggested that Jones, who joined Sunderland under previous manager Roy Keane in 2007, might be better prepared for such a move in two or three years.

"At the moment, Sunderland is building their attack around him so staying should mean he will get guaranteed playing time," said Fevrier, "as opposed to a big club where there will be much more competition to play... Give him another two years experience and he will be ready and more mature to shoulder the responsibility of playing for a bigger club."

Jones, who scored his eighth goal of the season in a 1-0 win over Fulham on Tuesday night, is contracted to Sunderland until 2013. At present, he shares the training ground with another St Anthony's past pupil and compatriot, Carlos Edwards, while national captain, Yorke, is also the club's assistant coach.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:18:02 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fenwick against Jones' Sunderland decision, Hislop agrees
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 10:39:48 PM »
The title of the article is misleading.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 10:50:27 PM »
The title of the article is misleading.

No surprise .... it's a TT daily.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:54:33 PM »
Wrong move?
Fenwick against Jones' Sunderland decision, but Hislop agrees with decision
By Lasana Liburd (T&T Express)

Maybe that should have been the Title?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:59:28 PM »
As much as I would have liked to see KJ in a Spurs shirt I have to admit that that kind of loyalty is refreshing.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 06:13:04 AM »
Dwight is chain all them men up. The same way Dwight ring him up when he was at Southampton and chain him up to go on strike ( btw, this is just hearsay eh agents and media folk etc who browsing the site  ;D I know neither player personally ) is the same way Dwight probably pull him aside and say:

" Watch nah Kenwyne, this is a world cup qualifying year. Is better 3 of we sweat together every day and qualify. Next year, after u score bout 20 this season and u score in the World Cup, you could go to ANY big club in the world. Just hold on til next January or until after 2010. Trust me, I have been there and done that. You safe".
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fenwick against Jones' Sunderland decision, Hislop agrees.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:03:02 AM »
i wont put much store on an english coach who cant get a wuk in de premiership ....he cant convince me about decision making .... he talking bout ambition ????

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 09:45:50 AM »
I think that Fenwick is correct , it has me wondering about the others , watching the two sides I think tottenham has better wingers and better midfielders than sunderland , bale lennon ,dos santos , then you have mordric , creative midfielders to open up more chances for him. If he is doing well with this lack of service , i will like to see him when he is getting real service, I think he miss the boat he should of gone to either aston villa or tottenham because their wingers would of brought out the besst in him just like as how beckham and giggs brought out the best in yorke. This is better done earlier than later.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 09:52:39 AM »
i wont put much store on an english coach who cant get a wuk in de premiership ....he cant convince me about decision making .... he talking bout ambition ????

So the only people you put "store" on are English EPL coaches?  Fenwick makes a lot of sense, denigrating the man's personal career arc doesn't change that.

Incidentally, Shaka also makes a lot of sense... it all depends on the perspective you view it from.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 10:11:34 AM »
I disagree with Fenwick. His main fear for Kenwyne is "what happens if Sunderland gets relegated?"

Well, Spurs are at just as much risk and even if Kenwyne went down he would just be bought by a top flight club. If he is playing well and improving a move will always be there even if you are in a lower division or in a bad side.

What signing this contract does, apart from give hime a great wage, is give Sunderland much more bargaining power when the summer comes. Whether Sunderland goes down or not they will be able to request a much better price. So the move is good for him and good for the club.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 10:12:48 AM »

LOL.  He is probably the most successful coach in local football history who played in a world cup for England and captained one of the top sides in England in his heyday but i guess he aint know anything.........LOL AGAIN!!

Some ah allyuh aint easy atall in this place!

That said, i believe that Kenwyne made the right move and the man who made the most sense in this article is Stuart Charles Fervier.

ah love it!!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:22:47 AM by andre samuel »
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 10:13:56 AM »
Regardless on which perspective you agree with, KJs success from this choice is up to him.
The great thing is that this contract doesn't necessarily mean that he must stay with Sunderland until 2013 - contracts are bought out and broken all the time. You would assume that if this contract would be broken, then it would be for one much bigger, which would be great for KJ.

Also, contracts are written these days to accomdate instances where, if a team is relegated - clauses can be activated to allow a player to break the contract with minimal or no penalty, so that he can ply his trade elsewhere - because let's face it, Sunderland has as good a chance of playing through 2013 either in the EPL or Championship.

This could turn out a couple ways:
He could be a huge success at Sunderland over the next year, which will lead to bigger clubs and bigger contracts being thrown at him.
He could be a bust at Sunderland (hope not) and all the hype will die down.

.... the same thing could have happened at Spurs, but his career there would have been under a microscope because the expectations would have been greater.

He has already commanded the attention of the press and critics this week, so he's no longer and nobody in the EPL, and he has a decent contract to back it up. If he outperforms his contract (like I hope), then great things will be in stock store ( ;D) for him.
throw parties, not grenades.

1]; } ?>