April 28, 2024, 02:44:06 PM

Author Topic: Why were we losing possession so much in the last two games?  (Read 3097 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
I was apalled at how easilly we gave up possession in our last two games.

This had become one of our strengths under Beenie.

In the Slovenia game, men kept slipping and giving it away, so I tried to make an excuse assuming the turf was wet. But I can't remember the opposition having the same problem.

against the Czech Rep. we were giving it away very easilly and seedm lost at times as to where to pass. This became a little easier after the third goal, I assume becz the Czechs took their feet off the gas.

Now Beenie say is the faster football in Europe. But 95% of the squad based in Europe. Now maybe is the fact that most are based in lower leagues in Europe....but I would really like to know why the ball was being given up so easilly.

Any feedback.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why were we losing possession so much in the last two games?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 11:50:56 AM »
People always comment on this 95% percent of the guys playing in the lower leagues in Europe so they should be able to handle the pace......I don't think it's that simple.

First I think there is a lot of psychology in being able to transfer their individual games in the lower levels in England to playing the collective game in the Trini shirt....

Secondly, the pace at the lower levels in England, might be up there, but I doubt that the quality is up there as well. If you want our lower level boys to go out there and just slash, run and gun and play ugly but intense football...then fine......I'm sure they can do that, but in trying to integrate neat, organized & imaginative football at the intense pace is a totally different kettle of fish.......It takes a lot more than just the physical ability to run up and down the field and in League 1 & 2 English football.

That said, the Slovenia and Czech game showed that there is alotta work to be done in order to play the neat & imaginative possession game under more intense conditions......We did it well against Wales (for the most part).......because the conditions were not as intense- time to take it up another notch or two.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:52:54 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 12:16:07 PM »

That said, the Slovenia and Czech game showed that there is alotta work to be done in order to play the neat & imaginative possession game under more intense conditions......We did it well against Wales (for the most part).......because the conditions were not as intense- time to take it up another notch or two.
For sure we have to up the ante. Read into it whatever you will, but ent Ivory Cost just drop 3 on Slovenia?
well yes

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 12:19:43 PM »

For sure we have to up the ante. Read into it whatever you will, but ent Ivory Cost just drop 3 on Slovenia?

yup.....that put a little more salt in the wounds.

Offline UK_Soca_warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 12:23:51 PM »
I hear all the points, but its true. Ivory Coast 3 Slovenia 0 speaks for it self.
I not criticising anybody, buts its all good to be optimistic, but fact is, the guys aint firing on all cyliners, bottom line!

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 12:31:37 PM »
I hear all the points, but its true. Ivory Coast 3 Slovenia 0 speaks for it self.
I not criticising anybody, buts its all good to be optimistic, but fact is, the guys aint firing on all cyliners, bottom line!
Like yuh still worried 'bout how yuh goh face yuh UK friends ??? Doh worry be happy :devil:
Live large and prosper!

Offline CarenageBoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 01:29:32 PM »
Now Beenie say is the faster football in Europe. But 95% of the squad based in Europe.

Let’s consider for a moment that Beenie is probably right. Yes, a number of our boys play for the various English and Scottish leagues. However, England is not Slovenia. Neither is it the Czech Republic. England doesn’t play football the same way as these countries. In fact, these countries rely on short-passing setup for goal attempts. England (as well as Wales) more often rely on the long ball.

The question we should be asking is: Why did we lose the game against Wales?

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 01:53:20 PM »
Somehow i feel stern not in top form but lets hope he finds it when the world cup starts.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 02:24:58 PM »

I could tell yah why we loosing possession so easy we passing but not running into space when playing the passing game you have to move just check it out we depend on yorke to bring the ball from defense when he give a pass he really don’t run forward into space because he want to help defend so this where we need latas so he can help Yorke also if we use two legit wingers we can alleviate the pressure on the midfielders losing the ball on the wing is less harmful than in the middle our in defense.       
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline UK_Soca_warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 02:34:29 PM »
Like yuh still worried 'bout how yuh goh face yuh UK friends ??? Doh worry be happy :devil:

No, worried about how my team is gonna perform on the worlds biggest stage!!  ;D

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 03:31:44 PM »
Now Beenie say is the faster football in Europe. But 95% of the squad based in Europe.

The question we should be asking is: Why did we lose the game against Wales?

That's the easiest game to explain. TT made a complete non effort there. It was like a boxing exhibition where men simply made it a point not to extend themselves or get hurt.

Even when Wales went into the lead against the run of play. Upon the resumption men was just casually knocking the ball around, as if waiting for the clock to wind down.

It was as if we were in the lead, not the other way around.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 05:42:57 PM »
No offense vb

but with 4 days left to go I say we should cease bringing up threads like this and allow ourselves to feel de anticipation, the tizik-ness

However we do, we do. But I am sure that knowing we have nothin to lose, the team will give it everything

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline marcel

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 01:35:04 AM »

i think thats exactly the difference between good and top players/teams
the speed of the thinking and handling
and if you dont play with top players or play against them reguarly,you are not used to it

thats why

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 06:02:21 AM »
People always comment on this 95% percent of the guys playing in the lower leagues in Europe so they should be able to handle the pace......I don't think it's that simple.

First I think there is a lot of psychology in being able to transfer their individual games in the lower levels in England to playing the collective game in the Trini shirt....

Secondly, the pace at the lower levels in England, might be up there, but I doubt that the quality is up there as well. If you want our lower level boys to go out there and just slash, run and gun and play ugly but intense football...then fine......I'm sure they can do that, but in trying to integrate neat, organized & imaginative football at the intense pace is a totally different kettle of fish.......It takes a lot more than just the physical ability to run up and down the field and in League 1 & 2 English football.

FYI Wales had 6 players from their under 23 team and one who was even younger than that . the Czec republic was a different kettle of fish. Dont get tie up by the name of the counry as we realised with our game against Peru at home .... Who played is more the likely question ...
To answer the post ...pressure does burst pipe ! low pressure , smooth flow...high pressure ....water everywhere !

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 06:27:19 AM »

FYI Wales had 6 players from their under 23 team and one who was even younger than that . the Czec republic was a different kettle of fish. Dont get tie up by the name of the counry as we realised with our game against Peru at home .... Who played is more the likely question ...
To answer the post ...pressure does burst pipe ! low pressure , smooth flow...high pressure ....water everywhere !

that's exactly what I said.....(see bolded).......no one is getting tie up. It was no secret that both Wales & Peru fielded very under strength teams. Even the players were aware that they were not being tested fairly against Wales and Peru. WASA authorities dealin' with the matter so hopefully the pipe eh buss yet  :beermug:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 06:34:53 AM by kicker »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 07:43:53 AM »

that's exactly what I said.....(see bolded).......no one is getting tie up. It was no secret that both Wales & Peru fielded very under strength teams. Even the players were aware that they were not being tested fairly against Wales and Peru. WASA authorities dealin' with the matter so hopefully the pipe eh buss yet  :beermug:

Ha ha ha ...i remember one test i used while coaching was to make young players keep the ball up...you know raising as we called it ..but in this case you had to do it with players around you trying to distract you. They could do or say anything but touch or impede your movement ...the results were markedly different to those obtaned when you were alone.
message here ..you are not alone on a football pitch .... the test of our mettle is how you respond to external stimuli ... hope WASA could fix our leaky defense some time before the 10th.

Offline teddy bear

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 10:21:28 AM »
I had the opportunity this past season to go watch a championship game (Coventry vs Crystal Palace), and a Premiership- game (Charlton vs Spurs) within a week of each other. The difference was immence. The first game's quality was lacking badly in terms of movement, passing and pace.In the second the passing was more crisp, loads of movement on and off the ball, and everything was done with pace while having quality. Now we have to remember that when we play internationals against teams like Czech Rep, they are the best players they have to offer from pace right down to skill, and they are strongly tested by the best in the world every week at their clubs, while we are not. And unless your'e accustomed to playing against that kind of quality you will struggle.

1]; } ?>