April 26, 2024, 01:28:12 PM

Author Topic: Latapy up for T&T fight and Shaka in Roony sympathy  (Read 640 times)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Latapy up for T&T fight and Shaka in Roony sympathy
« on: June 06, 2006, 06:53:39 PM »
Latapy up for T&T fight
By Chris Stanton | Tuesday 06th JunePrint this pageEmail page

Team links:
Trinidad and Tobago
Player links:
Russell Latapy
Russell Latapy insists he will have a fight on his hands to claim a starting place for Trinidad & Tobago at this summer's World Cup finals.

Latapy, who has scored 28 goals in 66 international appearances, is not certain of starting his country's opening Group B game against Sweden on Saturday.

However, the 37-year-old player-coach of Falkirk is doing his utmost to impress T&T coach Leo Beenhakker.

"I really don't know, competition is very tough for places," Latapy said when quizzed if he would be handing a starting role against the Swedes.

"All I can do is try and do my best to prove myself. It is up to the coach after that.

"To play in the World Cup is the highlight for any player, and at my age, it is even more sweet."

Latapy, who announced his retirement from international football in 2001, only to return to the fold last September, is, though, unwilling to curb his smoking habit.

Latapy insists his 10-cigarette a day habit does not have a detrimental effect on his performances for club or country.

"It is something I choose to do and it has never affected my performance," Latapy said.

"I don't smoke a lot and never in the public domain or in front of the team at training or the like."

SHAKA IN ROONY SYMPATHY                                   
 Shaka in Rooney sympathy
By Simon Fudge | Tuesday 06th JunePrint this pageEmail page

Team links:
Trinidad and Tobago
Player links:
Shaka Hislop
Dwight Yorke
Trinidad & Tobago goalkeeper Shaka Hislop says it would be unfortunate not to face Wayne Rooney in the World Cup.

The veteran West Ham United custodian and his Soca Warriors team-mates face The Three Lions in Nuremberg on June 15, with many of the English-based T & T players relishing the chance to face Sven Goran Eriksson's men.

The 37-year-old, whose brother Kone works for Rooney's agency ProActive, would understand the disappointment the Manchester United striker would have in missing the finals, but stressed he is more concerned with his country's campaign in Germany.

"What's happened to Wayne is unfortunate," Hislop said in the Daily Star. "I know him and my brother knows him quite well.

"To miss a World Cup is a big blow for a young man. It's easy enough to say that he'll be there in four years' time and for many other World Cups.

"But playing in a World Cup is a fantastic achievement for anyone, regardless of age or what country you play for.

"It's a blow for him and I will feel sad for him, if he doesn't make it.

"Right now, our focus as far as Trinidad & Tobago goes isn't on Wayne or his metatarsal.

"We feel we have to get our own house in order, and then we'll see what the opposition has to throw at us."

His T & T team-mate in former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke has warned their Group B opponents not to underestimate them.

"We have not done ourselves justice in the warm-up matches, but there is a great team spirit and a belief we can get it right," Yorke said.

"I know we are good enough to get results against any of the teams in our group, and that includes England."

1]; } ?>