April 27, 2024, 04:24:17 AM

Author Topic: Proof that Latapy reads the forum - Latapy's Diary in the Daily Record  (Read 2370 times)

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
7 June 2006
LATAPY'S WORLD CUP DIARY
Russell Latapy

The Daily Record

TRINIDAD internet message boards were busy yesterday morning with comments about some pictures of the team from the night before and our win over St Pauli.

It was our final warm-up and there was plenty to talk about with Jason Scotland on the scoresheet, Atiba Charles getting himself needlessly sent off and yours truly being handed the captain's armband as DwightYorke enjoyed a well-earned rest - although not from the endless TV interview requests!

But the thing people back home were posting messages about was images of thousands of fans, arms outstretched in what at first glance looked like a Nazi salute.

We are in Germany and people don't always look behind first impressions, do they? If you were to see these pictures out of context, it would be easy to imagine that was the case.

But when I looked up from the field and saw the arms outstretched, it didn't take long to figure out what was really happening - our fans were dancing.

You have to understand, back in Trinidad the place is undergoing a whole different kind of World Cup fever. If you think England's gone crazy, you should see it on our islands.

Right now there are actually about 20 different World Cup hits doing the rounds. The biggest one at the minute is called the "Football Dance". It was launched by a guy called Colin Lucas at our big presidential send-off in Trinidad and you hear it everywhere you go.

They were blasting it out through the loudspeakers at St Pauli's stadium right up until kick-off, backed by the carnival girls doing their thing for the 20,000 fans who'd packed in to watch the game.

The way these dance numbers work, it's like a preacher who starts it - and then the crowd responds. So that's what the crowd were actually doing when they were raising their arms. Glad that's dealt with!

As I say, the atmosphere was absolutely fantastic, and I'm really happy about that because the whole thing about the World Cup finals is the showcase it offers our country.

We're not just the smallest nation competing in these finals, we're the smallest ever to have made it this far. And that's a big thing for a place like Trinidad and Tobago.

It's great for us to be opening up our culture to the world at large and the game in Hamburg showed just how galvanised the German fans are in this region.

They love their football here anyway but while everybody likes an underdog, let's face it -everyone has us down as probably the biggest underdog ever to make these finals!

But I'd like to think we are also known for being friendly and happy I people and that's something that seems to have rubbed off on the locals, even before our arrival.

They've already set up a mock beach in Rotenburg's main square, ready for a big party on Saturday night when we kick off against Sweden.

I'd like to think that after our games, we might even get to let our hair down a little and join in with the locals for some of their fun. The manager, Leo Beenhakker, will cut us a bit of slack that way - that's the way he's always run these things.

It was a funny sort of game -played on a bumpy pitch with the guys obviously concerned about picking up an injury.

That was the main reason Charles was sent off. I don't think anyone could reasonably claim the game was on the edge of a full-scale brawl.

But it didn't alter what was a terrific atmosphere. Even the Celtic fans in the St Pauli crowd were cheering myself and Marvin.

I gather there's been a long tradition of St Pauli fans supporting Celtic but even then our loveable underdog status seems to have overcome any kind of Old Firm rivalry.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 04:46:02 AM by sin »
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
Re: Proof that Latapy reads the forum - Vibes it up, Little Mag!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 07:30:21 AM »
There you have it good response to the picture Latas, I did not want to comment on it because as you said it would have been taken out of context. Everyone relax tension for the WC are high so let's just enjoy and revell in being a trinbagonian for the next month

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 07:42:49 AM »
Latas .... since yuh rrad de post ... please accept my thanks for all your years of service to TnT football ... in addition to the rest of the team ...thanks for one of the happiest momonets in my life seeing our beloved county represented on the greatest stage in the world ... Good Luck ... Vibes It Up ....
Kappy
Snake in de balliser

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 07:54:18 AM »
u guys have done a great job man. football dance , football dance.. i doing i now meh self although i eh to sure how it goes. help any one..prefably female?
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 07:58:05 AM »
all the best latas

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 08:09:27 AM »
Yeah boy LATAS.......we with you and the TEAM all the WAY breddah. You have been a great asset to Trinidad and Tobago football for 20 plus years.......Thanks again Russell

You know is a real TRINI Board where men does voice they opinion.....some opinions have more weight that others....So GLAD that allyuh does read the board and I sure it gives you all a boost to see we behind allyuh 100% , even though some will pulll up certain men socks when we find they aight perform........

Best of Luck #10..............u reach the pinnacle now

72 hours before SWEDONEEEEEEEEEEEE !! :beermug:

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 08:19:24 AM »
LATAS: "But the thing people back home were posting messages about was images of thousands of fans, arms outstretched in what at first glance looked like a Nazi salute."

All I know is tht Latas took the time to respond to me.....   ::)  which one of allyuh could say that....... ;D

and doh get jealous eh!!! ;)

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=16567.msg171555#msg171555
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 09:33:03 AM »
Big up to 'Richie Core'....give dem trouble on saturday boss

Ah hope yuh start too  :beermug:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 10:32:48 AM »
Big up to you latas and all the best, kill dem with your dribbling and your quick one two passes. :applause:

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 02:24:46 PM »
Big Up latas
true king of T&T football all de best bredda

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
Match of the Pray - Latapy's Diary in the Daily Record
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 04:47:15 AM »
9 June 2006
LATAPY'S WORLD CUP DIARY: MATCH OF THE PRAY
DailyRecord.co.uk

WORLD CUP 2006: TODAY'S THE DAY... Latapy's WORLD CUP DIARY

No need for archbishops now we've got Marv doing services before games

WAY back when I first started playing for Trinidad & Tobago in 1989, we had a ritual of stopping off at church on the way to games.

I don't usually talk about religion but there's no getting away from it when you are from Trinidad and Tobago.

To give you a little idea of how steeped in faith my islands are, let me tell you that our No.1 fan is no less than the Port of Spain's Archbishop.

He travels to our games and will sometimes say a word to us as a group on the eve of matches. He'll be here in Germany too.

But he might not get so much of a look-in at these Finals. Sorry, your Grace but we've now got our own fully-qualified man of the cloth sitting right next to us in the dressing room.

You all know about Marvin Andrews' work away from football - not that he distinguishes between what he does on the field and how he spends his time off it - so we're certainly delighted to have him as our pastor on match days.

Advertisement

Tomorrow and the opening of our World Cup bid against Sweden will be no different.

When we get to the stadium in Dortmund, we'll follow our usual routine in terms of getting ready to play the game. And just before we run out the tunnel, we'll complete that ritual with Marvin leading us in prayer.

He'll have a very simple message although he might have something a little bit extra to say on this occasion.

Basically, he'll thank the Lord for getting us to these Finals and for getting us to the dressing room safely.

Then he'll ask God for protection once we get out on to the pitch but he'll ask Him to protect both teams from injury. He doesn't ask God to give us the results we're looking for, that's not the point. But it's a special moment in which we all share. I don't know if other teams do that but I doubt many other sides have someone with Marvin's qualifications.

In terms of the actual football, the key to doing well in any tournament is peaking at the right time. And that's something Leo Beenhakker knows a lot about having managed a Holland squad famous for their fall-outs, not to mention giant club institutions in Ajax and Real Madrid.

Obviously, Leo's been concentrating on different aspects of what we have to do at different times over the last few weeks. Fortunately, the emphasis now will increasingly be on rest ahead of Sweden.

I'll be honest, I wish we had the luxury of being together for two or three months ahead of the Finals, as some of the other nations have enjoyed. Everyone saw how Guus Hiddink welded South Korea into such a strong force at the last tournament.

Guus has told Leo he would never have reached the semi-finals had they not been given that opportunity.

Unfortunately for us, that's not been possible. We have had to fit in a lot in a relatively short space of time and while there might be some things we'd have liked to have spent more time on, we have quite a lengthy list of things we're not so good at - all of which needed working on.

Still, we're as ready as we'll ever be and the truth is we can't wait for Sweden. I think alot of people in England have been overlooking the Swedes, just assuming the group will be sewn up for them with wins against Paraguay on Saturday and then us next Thursday.

But by my reckoning, Sweden have three outstanding front players who could damage just about any team in the competition.

He may be almost as old as your very own Methuselah here but Henrik Larsson showed once again his world-class ability in last month's Champions League final. Few at Barca, apart from maybe Frank Rijkaard, really knew just how good Henrik was when he first left for Spain but everyone else certainly found out that night in Paris.

I'm quite friendly with his team-mate Deco, who has kept a home near to mine in Oporto from his days at my old club, Porto.

We'll share a drink when we're both back chilling on breaks and I can tell you they know fine well what a loss his returning to Sweden with Helsingborg is for them. Deco already knew that having been on the opposing side that night in Seville ...

Fortunately, Marvin also knows what a handful he will be. Also on our side is the fact we have one of the tallest players at 6ft 7in in our squad, Dennis Lawrence. In saying that, though, Henrik is also one of the most agile players I've ever seen in the air.

I remember watching him as a young substitute at USA 94 and having played against him often enough in Scotland - when people didn't always give him the credit he gets now - there's something quite comforting about knowing I'll have played on the same stage as Henrik right at the end of our international careers.

With Henrik, Zlatan Ibrahimovich and Freddie Ljungberg the pick of a very strong bunch, Sweden is probably an even tougher test for us than England.

Most of our players play in England or Scotland - and their style of play will come naturally to us. But while I expect both teams to be a little cautious initially, and I think Sweden will show us more respect than the English pundits have, we have to guard against it turning into a rude awakening.

Football isn't only about great players with extraordinary talents. It is also a game of errors and we've been working hard to try to limit the number of unenforced mistakes we make.

Mexico are no mugs and we beat them to earn our play-off berth against Bahrain.

But if we managed to limit the errors in qualifying, especially after Leo came in for the run-in, we know we have to reach an altogether different plane now.

If I'm honest, I'd have to admit we're not yet at the level I'd hoped we would be. But, equally, we are a much better team now than we were before Leo took charge.

Praise be for that...
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline trini_chris

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
big up 2 latas man. all d best in the world cup!!
d original WARRIOR PRINCESS. win or lose i am a FIGHTER.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
nice one Latas  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Interesting that he states that is not due to talent and or drive that the south koreans reach the quarters but simply because they bonded/gelled

Although it kinda statin the obvious..it kinda hit home to me, that teams with the worlds biggest names could still get dey azz wash
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>