April 26, 2024, 06:27:11 AM

Author Topic: match report TT 2 PANAMA 0  (Read 2587 times)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
match report TT 2 PANAMA 0
« on: June 05, 2005, 04:29:11 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Well fellaz, we did it, and now we have much to look forward to in the few weeks to come.  The stadium was nice, de vibe was sweet, and every thing looked set for what would be a very good evening for Trinidad and Tobago.

Without a ball being kicked we had trouble in de Trini camp.  I heard that Clayton Ince damaged his hand during the warm ups and Kelvin Jack had to start (good thing it wasn’t Williams).  Beenie man restored the twin towers in the back line with atiba Charles on de right and avery john on de left! The diamond shaped midfield had Whitley in de back, birchall in de front, Carlos on de right, and Theobald on de left.  Up front were ex premiership players Dwight yorke and stern john.

“At first I was afraid….I was petrified” since the warriors started tentatively, and allowed too much room for the Panamanians to move around.  They took advantage of this space and dominated the first 15 minutes, but had nothing besides ball possession to show for it.  Our defense stood firm and denied them any space in the final third.  A worrying factor for me in the first 15-20 minutes was the absence of our “newly learnt” short passing game and the return of Bertile’s boom kick football tactics (i.e. kick it out and hope that stern john or Dwight could chest trap it).  Yorke was fighting hard from the word go, and birchall had a shot from outside the box straight the keeper, but there seemed to be a total absence of rhythm from the warriors. 

Then something amazing happened, Mr. Whitley decided to get into the game! His decision to abandon all the fears he might have had for his first big game for Trinidad in a while paid rich dividends for our team.  The fluency returned, and benhakker’s brilliance replaced bertile’s bullsh*t.  Within 3 minutes of whitley’s involvement, the warriors created their first clear cut chance, and what a chance it was! New Luton Town signing Carlos Edwards was released down the right flank after some good work by Whitley and yorke, and he sent a pin point accurate cross at the feet of Stern “miss ten and score one” John who shaped up in text book fashion and “placed” it wide!

After that I got an instant headache, so I decided to calm my head by looking at some of the beautiful women who were “modeling” up and down the place! Why these chances eh fall to Yorke?  How could he miss that? Bermuda was one thing but oh gard!! This is ah big game!! It was at this point (I must admit), that I begun to lose hope! I turned to Cowen and told him that “stern john just kicked our world cup chances wide”.  Even though stern missed the sitter (it was more like ah “lying down-er”), de warriors were still playing well and had the Panamanians on the back foot.  Whitley was coming for de ball, and birchall, Carlos, and Theobald were giving him options. 

At minute 33 a huge weight was lifted off my shoulder, stern john (who had me anxious to go home so ah could take him off as meh screen saver) hooked a Dwight yorke pass into the back of the net while under serious pressure from a defender. One Nil, and is madness in de Stadium! Ah start tuh jump, ah start tuh wave, ah start tuh wine, meh horn spoil, and ah get some beers in meh face, but that was no problem cause we in de lead! We went close on two more occasions but at that point everyone was hoping that we get into half time without conceding anything!

HALF TIME:                  TT-1           PANAMA-0

Panama came out hungry at the start of the second half but full credit to our defenders who played to their strengths and did the basic things right.  Panama had a two cracker shots on goal.  The first was a swerving rocket that had a blinded Jack going one way but he had the presence of mind to adjust and parry/push the ball away, and the other was a dipping volley that Jack acrobatically pushed over bar. In between those two shots stern had time to miss another easy goal scoring opportunity by deciding to trap and cut back rather than hitting it one time! We were soaking in some pressure but with 20 minutes to go we could smell the three points! 

At that very moment, a Panamanian attack was broken up by Lawrence who composed himself and played the ball to an open Stern John (some say it was Dwight Yorke), and started to run and never stopped. Within a heartbeat, a beauty of a ball was played to his feet and it became Denis Lawrence against panama keeper Donald Gonzales, with a retrieving defender playing catch up.

The lanky defender, ran towards the goal, faked a shot with his right foot, sent de defender, de keeper and the rest ah de stadium one way, cut onto his left, and slotted the ball into the back of the net with all the calm in the world!  Thierry Henry couldn’t have done it better himself!  If de first goal brought madness to the stadium, then the second goal brought total pandemonium!! Ah start back tuh jump, ah start back tuh wine, ah start back tuh wave, meh horn fall down and some more beer fall on meh face (it tasted like carlsberg…lol).  The last time I felt like this was when latas scored against Mexico in de 86th minute!

At this point an angry looking stern john was substituted and rising star kenwyne Jones was brought on.   Jones showed that he was waiting to come on long time by getting into the mix right away and received a yellow card from the referee and a strict talking to by captain yorke for his efforts.  He eventually decided to make waves in a different manner and should have had our third with a blistering volley on de run that shaved the outside of the post.

Ten minutes to go and the warriors knew that the three points were close and from then on, we defended like crazy!! TWEEET, TWEEET, TWEEET!!!!!! Game done and 3 points in the bag! Now it’s on to Mexico!!

Ah reach dey bout minutes tuh six, ah get ah free horn tuh blow, ah bottle opener fuh beers (even though no glass bottles allowed), and ah seat cushion!

The uncovered stands not so bad after all,  AND DE LIME IN ST JAMES WAS SWEET. PAN FUH SO!

PLAYER RATINGS

JACK – 7.5 – made two great saves, but was a bit hesitant in coming for the ball.  Didn’t make his presence felt in the box!

ANDREWS – 7.5 – had a quiet, but efficient game, didn’t make any mistakes and won all there was to be won in the air.

CHARLES – 7.5 – was quick enough to stay with his man and linked with carlos very well. Good going forward too

A.JOHN – 8 – was limping after 25 minutes in this game but gave a brave performance, didn’t pass the ball well but more importantly, no one passed him!!

LAWRENCE – 8.5 – surprised everyone with that finish. He was our best defender on the night also. He actually jumped and headed balls away!

THEOBALD – 6.5 – took a while to adjust to his position on the left but came into his own and got better as the game progressed.

WHITLEY – 7 – this man is a gem once in full cry.  Has the ability to ease pass defenders while still having the eye for the clinical pass.  He took too long to get into the game.

EDWARDS – 8.5 – twisted, turned and swayed past the left back tonight, one of his better games, needs to work on his crossing, but a great display on de wing!

BIRCHALL – 8 – Excellent debut, excellent find, promising future. He ran like a warrior tonight, and I am totally impressed.  He is an under-rated passer.

YORKE – 9 – my man of the match, with Edwards and Lawrence coming close. Excellent display of leadership!

S. JOHN – 6.5 – would have gotten 5.5 if he didn’t score, strangely enough, he was upset that he was subbed, and went into the dressing room while all the other players were still on the field thanking the crowd.  He still has to start, but ah like how he got subbed.

K. JONES – N/A – came on and won the balls in the air and gave the team an injection of energy.

Ah hope alyuh enjoy de read!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: match report TT 2 PANAMA 0
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 04:41:45 PM »
Thanx Andre....great job!!!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 04:46:30 PM »
another great report.  sorry to hear that stern went back in the dressing room before everybody else.  really good to see that the men who wasn't in the mix before (avery, seaton) doing well

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 05:40:34 PM »
Thanx for the report... A really miss out... Cyah wait for the USA game at least ah will get to see the warriors live....But more importantly I will see them on Wednesday...

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 05:55:17 PM »
Yeah man Andre. Ah cah lie your report like Touches does make man lil Home Sick. :'(   Especially man dat would have been in de stadium regardless of what.
Thanks.   :)
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 06:05:32 PM »
Thanks for the report.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 02:40:21 AM »

Thanks very very much for the report.

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 08:23:51 AM »
Yes Boss, Thanks for de report...de next best ting to being in de stadium is getting these reports from allyuh bruddas...from who pulling stones to who getting on twisting up defenders..well done.

Now de trinis dat on de outside have a example of how we have to mash up Connecticut in August when we play de US... we have to represent up dey..ah done have mih tickets, we in section 223 (midfield upper level)...

Well done Warriors!  Stern have to cool it wit dat star boy ting! He have to realise that it en have much distance between he and some of the men on the bench as well as men dat was not in the 18 for the Panama match.. he have to know Beenie en go allow he to poison de locker room with no selfishness like dat...how he expect to throw way all dem goals and en get no kinda fight down???  Even Ronaldo does get boo.... Stern cool it.. just play ball dred! more is expected of you, as a veteran you have to provide leadership...not dissent..
"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 11:53:52 AM »
Nice report dey man. Ah enjoy it fuh real. Dat remind how de ting used to be when ah went to dem thousand and one matches fuh we team an ting. Ah go try to go to connecticut fuh de match.Anyone could tell meh if it have any excurtion from new york fuh de match in connecticut? Andre man you make mih home sick . That truely was ah trini version report, de way only we could gived it. Keep up de good work
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 01:57:14 PM »
thank Dre....de last man tuh do dat... goin back tuh dressin room cause yuh get sub was Dwarika in Richmond....he eh get off meh shit list since. That shows a great amount of unprofessionalism......jackarse Stern didden even get tuh enjoy de moment with the PEOPLE and his teammates.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 04:03:18 PM »
I will add my two cents. Andre Samuel was pretty much on the money so I not saying much in terms of the game except to make one correction. Lawrence did pass the ball to Yorke who played it out wide to Stern who one timed it into Lawrence's path for him to run on to score. This is how I rated the players:

Jack: Needs a lot more confidence. He punched a straight forward shot right down the middle of the field. We were lucky the Panama players were wide or deep. Otherwise he was not bad. - 7

A. John: Was his usual aggressive self. Was erratic with his passing, but made some solid tackles. - 7.5

Andrews: Was very strong in the air defensively, but needs to impose himself for our attacking set plays. Made some good tackles and didn't allow Panama's forwards any room. Passing is usually his weak point, but he kept it simple and played it along the turf to his players. - 8.5

Charles: Was much quieter than in the CR game, but was still good. Strong in the tackle, he reads the game well. He is the best passer of the defensive players. - 9

Lawrence: Never one of my favourite players, but kudos to him in these last 2 games. His aerial ability in the back was good, he stepped up and made good tackles and generally was solid. Like Andrews he could make his presence felt a lot more for attacking set plays. - 8

Whitley: A dynamo in the middle of the field. He is not afraid to tackle hard or to foul the opposition. Offensively he adds speed and good passing ability. Tended to drift out of the game at times, but with experience at this level could be our biggest midfield find in a while. - 7.5

Theobold: Took to long to get into the game offensively, but his defensive hustle is an asset. Will get better I think. - 7

Edwards: This was one of his best games for T&T. He had the left back in trouble throughout the game. His crosses need to improve dramatically if he's to become the kind of winger he has the potential to be. His defensive work was solid too. - 9

Birchall: Started off tentatively and wasn't involved much offensively in the first half. He came into his own and his teammates gave him more of the ball in the second half. Positionally he was always where he needed to be and showed good vision and awareness. Can improve into a good international midfielder. - 8

Yorke: Continues to prove his worth on the team. He worked hard defensively, disrupting the flow of the Panamanians defensive players. He was a good target for the midfield and held up and passed the ball quite well. Not much negative can be said about his performance. - 9.5

S. John: Still is short of that striker's touch in front of goal. Wasted a bread and butter chance in either half. Perhaps his in front goal warm ups need to be more intense, especially since he's short of touch. He did work very hard for the first hour of the game and then stopped running as much. He also provided a good target and his ball control is superb under pressure. His sub came at a good time. - 7.5

Jones: Plenty of effort and he could be a prolific striker if he can hone his skills and control his emotions. Nearly got two quick yellow cards within minutes of coming on. He has a lot to contribute to the team is Leo gives him the chance. - 7.5

I predict a 0-0 in Mexico. Good luck team.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Whitley is not a recent find
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 04:28:14 PM »
Whitley: A dynamo in the middle of the field. He is not afraid to tackle hard or to foul the opposition. Offensively he adds speed and good passing ability. Tended to drift out of the game at times, but with experience at this level could be our biggest midfield find in a while. - 7.5

Actually, Whitley is not a recent find. He played in 3 of de 2002 World Cup Qualifiers and played against Martinique in de 2002 Gold Cup. He has 10 caps and 1 goal.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>