March 28, 2024, 02:42:23 PM

Author Topic: Yasin Abu Bakr Thread  (Read 41594 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Jamal Shabazz: 1990 coup bid calls for serious analysis
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2009, 11:48:43 AM »
Ole dutty criminals , all ah dem. They should have been at least imprisoned for life in not executed for high treason.

ok, but what about the people who looted and burnt down the buildings? what should happen to them?
Prosecute all law breakers.

I cool with that.

However, wasnt the muslimeen given a pardon which was upheld in the court of law? So whilst we vex that Abu and the lot show disregard for the law, we doing the same thing.

What i want to see is all the men who was behind the scenes (who ever they are) that weren't given pardons brought to justice be it which ever 'prominent' people today.

Question - was the majority of damage done to the country carried out by the muslimeen or by the people themselves?
Were the majority of people outraged, or were they in support or even happy/excited at the time?
Allyuh  ever went (or know of people who did )any get togethers and real lime and ketch real kicks/ knock cards/ had a good time during the coup, and took the thing like a big holiday?
Apart from the damage done to property in the midst of the temporary power vacuum the real issue is 100+ goons tried to overrun a democratically elected government through violence. This is treason and it is a travesty of justice that those men and their enablers are free today. The corruption of the law is so perverse in their case it is ridiculous.

They are so called community leaders, but they have guns. It is remarkable how this is even up for debate. We are so corrupt it eh even funny.  

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2009, 11:51:39 AM »
Whoa.  Even the muslimeen asking for an inquiryn :o

It's ridiculous that we haven't had anything.  What the history books supposed to say?  Do we have a proper record   ???  

I don't know if our judicial process failed us or not with the pardon but one thing for sure is that we have had some very negative consequences as a result and still paying the price.

I wonder if Shabazz realise how lucky he is to have any freedom because sometimes when he talks about these hardships...ie. 53 days detention in the US...I wonder if he understands how small that is compared to what he should have been serving in jail given what they did.  Still sounds like they feel some amount of justification for what they did even if he believes it could have been done better.  Worrying message we have sent as a country on consequences to assaulting our democracy.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
In America somebody do something like this and they catch him, he dead for sure....

Shabaaz is a blasted taliban and de biggest taliban is de man who have these clowns walking around in de country. After killing so many people and doing so much wrong he want people to feel sorry for he...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2009, 12:56:15 PM »
You can't really ask who did the most damage...you have to ask who orchestrated the damage...I have no sympathy for Shabazz...it's not like he was 19 or 20 he was a grown man capable of making independent decisions. He held a country at ransom. His actions facilitated millions of dollars worth of damage. He was indirectly responsible for people losing their lives. And now he wants a national inquiry? to do what??? validate his actions???

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2009, 01:29:13 PM »
lock him up. Trinidad have too much tolerance for lawlessness.  27 is a big man making wrong decision. If he was younger like 14 then he could get excused.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2009, 02:07:28 PM »
You can't really ask who did the most damage...you have to ask who orchestrated the damage...I have no sympathy for Shabazz...it's not like he was 19 or 20 he was a grown man capable of making independent decisions. He held a country at ransom. His actions facilitated millions of dollars worth of damage. He was indirectly responsible for people losing their lives. And now he wants a national inquiry? to do what??? validate his actions???

One could draw that conclusion among several conclusions, but I suggest, on balance, his call for a national inquiry does not appear to be self-serving. He's calling for transparency ... which would invite analysis that's not necessarily favourable.

Based on the context of all of his comments in the article, and his understanding of the body of his experiences post-1990, it's difficult to conclude he's seeking validation. We should be careful not to conflate his expression/interpretation/rationalization of the status quo in the nation at that time with unmitigated validation or justification.

Indeed, if we seek to learn more about the events of 1990, we should encourage more of this sort of communication ... focusing on the communication, rather than being per se condemnatory of the actors. Recall, various Truth and Reconciliation Commissions, despite their several 'failings', achieve 'something' by expanding available knowledge, and removing some discourse from the realm of rumour to that of commonly-understood corroborated and reliable history. Try as we may, we cyah get that fuh free.

P.S. Ah find the preservation of this thread in this segment of the forum is tenuous at best. It is tangentially related to football. However, to state that is not to miss why Touches asked for a lil time on this side ...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:13:52 PM by asylumseeker »

Online Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2009, 02:08:28 PM »
blah, blah, MOTHERC%^T-blah....like ah say before in odder thread, leh him haul he C*&T!!!!!!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2009, 02:09:43 PM »
blah, blah, MOTHERC%^T-blah....like ah say before in odder thread, leh him haul he C*&T!!!!!!

And after that, what? You doh have an interest in knowing more about the events?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2009, 02:13:07 PM »
Whoa.  Even the muslimeen asking for an inquiryn :o

It's ridiculous that we haven't had anything.  What the history books supposed to say?  Do we have a proper record   ???  

I don't know if our judicial process failed us or not with the pardon but one thing for sure is that we have had some very negative consequences as a result and still paying the price.

I wonder if Shabazz realise how lucky he is to have any freedom because sometimes when he talks about these hardships...ie. 53 days detention in the US...I wonder if he understands how small that is compared to what he should have been serving in jail given what they did.  Still sounds like they feel some amount of justification for what they did even if he believes it could have been done better.  Worrying message we have sent as a country on consequences to assaulting our democracy.

Shabazz is ... seems to be in his personal capacity, rather than as a spokesperson for 'anyone else'. But yeah, one wonders.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2009, 02:36:53 PM »
Here's an idea ... make the 'national inquiry' an election issue ... guaranteed to press some buttons.

Online Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2009, 04:02:22 PM »

And after that, what? You doh have an interest in knowing more about the events?

respectfully eh, i know all i need to know bout the events breds, i also personally know BANDITS (!!!!!) who was part of dat group of C%^TS....oh, and ah did also personally know Solomon McCleod...

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161509837
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2009, 04:17:26 PM »
Yeah Fyzo, no doubt. On a personal level we all have a stake or a story or some kinda personal significance in the mix ... buh should we sacrifice the collective fuh the personal? Look, I think it's a Class A mud-up. Fuh me dis larger than Shabazz.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2009, 05:55:08 PM »
I remember when it happened, I was with some East Germans players and we was watching CNN. When they were placing the muslimeen prisoners on the bus. One of the East Germans turn to me and said "if it was East Germany as the bus takeoff it would of been boom, Sorry!"
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2009, 07:37:21 PM »
LOUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
STEUPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2009, 08:40:27 PM »
What does a national inquiry do? does a national inquiry relieve the Muslimeen of their actions? does a national inquiry if one is to believe Shabazz inferences now cast then opposition party members into some sort of shadowy light? Or does a national inquiry stir up a cauldron of blame, ill-will and anger. Shabazz got away with treason in any other country he'd just be a distant memory.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2009, 08:45:23 PM »
What does a national inquiry do?

WASTE OF TAXDOLLARS. We just give way 150000 4 a friendly dat neva happen.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2009, 09:11:02 PM »
f#ck zamora
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »
f#ck zamora
Why am I not surprised?!  ::)

Does this mean that we have the same feelings for Shabazz as we do for Zamora?  8)

On seconds thoughts no need to answer!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 09:57:12 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline benedicts bwoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2009, 06:58:08 AM »
Leh he HAUL HE MUDDER NECK!!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Bakr's properties up for sale today
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 06:53:12 AM »
Bakr's properties up for sale today
By Joel Julien (Express)

THE STATE is scheduled to place 11 properties belonging to Jamaat-al-Muslimeen leader Imam Yasin Abu Bakr and his second-in-command Kala Aki Bua on the auction block today.

Abu Bakr led a group of 114 insurrectionists in an attempted coup on July 27, 1990.

Today's auction is expected to take place in an effort for the State to recover a $32 million debt which resulted from the destruction of the Police Headquarters during the 1990 attempted coup.

Properties owned by Abu Bakr and Aki Bua are scheduled to be put up for sale by way of a public auction at City Hall in Port of Spain at 10 a.m. today.

The registration of bidders starts at 8.30 a.m.

The auction comes after a ruling by Justice Rajendra Narine on September 11 last year.

William Soon of Peter Soon and Company is the auctioneer.

Abu Bakr has described the Government's move to auction the properties as an attempt to destroy the Jamaat-al-Mislimeen.

It is "unlawful and illegal", he said.

Abu Bakr said he was leaving the entire situation in God's hands and "honestly believed" the properties will not be sold.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Re: Bakr's properties up for sale today
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2010, 10:24:53 AM »
Ah wonder who going to buy first  :angel:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 10:33:01 AM »

I wonderin d same damn ting, I feel go ha to be real "ballsy" person or people wit bad man rep dey self, but dis may not end good atall :( :'(
I pity the fool....

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2010, 10:36:05 AM »
The government of Trinidad and Tobago should put in the first bid.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2010, 11:39:31 AM »

I wonderin d same damn ting, I feel go ha to be real "ballsy" person or people wit bad man rep dey self, but dis may not end good atall :( :'(

Oh Bakr buy it back at a fraction of the cost LOL
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2010, 02:23:01 PM »
An I95.5fm news report says Bakr got back two of the properties, the Queen's Park East one and the Dibe (spelling??) one.  His son and wife bought them.

Of the 10 properties, the one at La Puerta in Diego was not sold. 

The sale did not raise anything near the amount needed to settle the government's debt of $40M.  The auctioneer said that perhaps if the turn out was better more money may have been raised.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

truetrini

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2010, 04:20:24 PM »
I heard that Bakr received cash from Libya to buy back the properties.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2010, 05:24:13 PM »
I heard that Bakr received cash from Libya to buy back the properties.

Steupss He didn't even need that...Man pay only about a million for the property at Queens Park...!!!

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2010, 07:03:06 PM »
It seems as doh buyers doh want to mess with Bakr buildings i would not be supprise if it stay on the gov hands.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2010, 04:11:24 AM »
Bakr family buys back two prime properties
Gail Alexander (Guardian).

Relatives of Muslimeen leader Yasin Abu Bakr were successful in regaining—through purchase—two prime properties out of eight belonging to the group which the State auctioned off yesterday.

The auction came less than a month after the People’s Partnership Government announced that the State would sell off properties belonging to the Jamaat to recoup costs pertaining to damages and loss of state property, resulting from the July 27, 1990, coup attempt by the group.

Auctioneer Peter Soon, who supervised yesterday’s proceedings, noted the 2009 court order for sale of the properties to recoup damages. Soon said interest in the issue of damages had accrued to $4.7 million between 1990 and 2000, and continued to accrue at the rate of $6,480 daily.

Accrued interest and damages to date total $42.3 million, Soon noted. Supervising the matter and representing the State’s interest yesterday was attorney Dana Seetahal, SC, and a legal team. On the auction block were ten properties, nine belonging to Muslimeen leader Yasin Abu Bakr and one at Las Cuevas, belonging to Muslimeen member Kala Aki Bua.

However, one property—at Woodbine Street and Upper Bournes Road in St James—was taken off the table since its title was in dispute, according to Soon. And another property at La Puerta, Diego Martin, failed to attract any bidders. At the end of yesterday’s four-hour auction, officials connected with procedings confirmed that the State obtained more than $6 million from the eight prime properties auctioned. Successful bids on properties ranged from a minimum of $72,000 to a maximum of $1.6 million.

The 50-plus gathering at City Hall, Port-of- Spain, where yesterday’s auction took place, was dominated by the presence of Muslimeen leader Bakr, who arrived at 9.30 am. Arriving at various points subsequently were Bakr’s sons Fuad and Ayinde, as well as Bakr’s wife, Indrani Maharaj-Abu Bakr. Other supporters included Mrs Janice Aki Bua, wife of Kala Aki Bua, former owner of one of the Jamaat properties at Las Cuevas. The Muslimeen group also included seven young men in khaki uniform and army boots.

One member of that group videotaped proceedings at the start of the auction. City Hall security was tight, with armed guards and electronic frisking of attendees. Bidding got off to a slow start, with low response from the audience. Auctioneer Soon had a tough job wheedling bids out of the City Hall audience.

But the first property off the auction block was land at Mayaro, which was purchased by 61-year-old Tacarigua businessman S Balkaran, who also purchased the Las Cuevas property. Next to go was a Marabella property, which was purchased by attorney Anthony Cherry, who said he was instructed by a client to bid on the property. This went for $1.6 million, the highest price in yesterday’s auction.

Cherry told the Guardian his client had been prepared to go as high as necessary, because of the location of that particular property. He declined to identify the client. However, the Guardian was reliably informed last night the client which obtained that property was HJ Stauble and Co Ltd.

After the first round of bidding, Bakr left at 11.10 am. But bidding was carried on by other members of his family. Ayinde Abu Bakr, son of the Muslimeen leader, succesfully bid $1.1 million for the family’s property at 10 Queen’s Park East, Port-of-Spain. Indrani Maharaj-Abu Bakr also successfully bid $1.3 million for a six-apartment property at Dibe, Long Circular.

A businessman who gave his name as Nagessar bought the other properties at Indian Trail, Couva. After the auction, Fuad Abu Bakr, another of Bakr’s sons, told the Guardian the family “had gotten back two of its properties of a sorts....”

Maharaj-Abu Bakr, who bought the Dibe property, said her purchase meant that she had regained the roof which had been over her head. Maharaj-Abu Bakr, who had been resident at the Dibe property, said the court judgment mandating the sale had not taken into account matrimonial rights and whoever had been resident in the property would have been affected by the sale as she might have been.

Soon, preceding the auction, had confirmed matrimonial rights did not enter into the issue of sale. After the proceedings, Soon said he would have liked a better turnout for yesterday’s auction. He could not say whether Bakr’s presence had affected attendance. Soon said there was no conflict of interest in members of the Bakr family bidding for the properties. He said the auction was open and there was nothing to disbar them from bidding.

“They were well within their rights to bid,” Soon added. He said he could not determine whether yesterday’s sale would have dealt adequately with the current levels of damages at issue in the matter. Attorney General Anand Ramlogan said yesterday that he would be getting a report from Seetahal, who would advise the State on what its options were in the issue.

He could not say what would transpire with the La Puerta property, which was not sold. Asked his views on the bidding by the Bakr family, Ramlogan said: “It was an open auction and they were entitled to bid like anyone else.”

SOLD FOR...!

• Land at La Brea village, Mayaro, including sea frontage and trace access, purchased by S Balkaran—$72,000.
• Property at Marabella, purchased by attorney Anthony Cherry on behalf of HJ Stauble and Co Ltd—$1.6 million.
• 10 Queen’s Park East, Port-of-Spain, purchased by Ayinde Abu Bakr, son of Muslimeen leader Yasin Abu Bakr—$1.1 million.
• Six-apartment property at Dibe, Long Circular, purchased by Indrani Maharaj-Abu Bakr—$1.3 million.
• Las Cuevas property known as “Zorro,” including house, swimming pool, river access and beach frontage, purchased by businessman S Balkaran—$380,000.
• Land at Boodoo Trace Indian Trail, Couva, purchased by retired businessman, Nagessar—$310,000.
• Three lots of Land at Indian Trail purchased by retired businessman, Nagessar—$450,000

BAKR AUCTION FLOPS
State raises just $5.2m of $42.4m target
By Joel Julien (T&T Express).

THE FAMILY of Jamaat-al-Muslimeen leader Imam Yasin Abu Bakr was able to buy back two of ten properties which the State had seized and publicly auctioned yesterday.

Indrani Maharaj-Abu Bakr, one of the Imam's four wives, and his son, Ayinde, successfully bid on two properties which were on the auction block yesterday.

Auctioneer Peter Soon supervised the auction, which was held inside the auditorium at City Hall, Port of Spain.

Soon said there was no difficulty with Abu Bakr's family repurchasing the properties, since according to the terms of the sale "parties are at liberty to bid".

"If Mr Bakr himself wanted to bid on a property we would have accepted his bid. So if it is okay for him then it must be okay for his family," Soon said after the auction.

Ten properties, owned by Abu Bakr and his second-in-command Kala Aki Bua, were auctioned yesterday, as the State attempted to recover a $42.3 million debt (including interest) incurred from the destruction of the Police Headquarters during the 1990 attempted coup.

The State raised $5,212,000 at yesterday's auction. The auction came as a result of a ruling by Justice Rajendra Narine on September 11 last year.

It is now up to the State to determine how to recover the $37 million shortfall, Soon said. The total price of the two properties purchased by the Imam's wife and son was $2.4 million.

"We anticipated a better turnout. I believe if there were more people present the competition would have pushed the prices higher," Soon said of the procedure.

Uniformed police officers were stationed at the entrance of City Hall and inside the auditorium.

There were 62 registered bidders at yesterday's auction, according to registration forms.

Abu Bakr and a group of Jamaat members, dressed in khaki uniforms and black kippahs, formed part of the audience at yesterday's auction. Abu Bakr left the auction around 11 a.m.

Soon began the auction proceedings by listing the rules and terms of sale for the properties.

"The properties are being sold 'as is and where is'. So I give no warranty as to title. You buy at your own risk," Soon told prospective bidders.

At the end of yesterday's auction only a house and property at La Puerta, Diego Martin, was left unsold. It was being offered for $1.1 million.

Abu Bakr's son Fuad made a $100,000 bid for the property. It was refused by Soon.

The ten properties which were sold yesterday were bought by five bidders.

The most expensive property to be sold yesterday was a property at Maharaj Lands in Marabella.

Anthony Cherry, a former board member of the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT), purchased the Marabella property for $1.6 million.

Maharaj-Abu Bakr purchased the land at Dibe Road, Long Circular, along with a building housing six apartments located on the property for $1.3 million.

Ayinde Abu Bakr bought an undivided half-share of property and building at #10 Park Avenue Queen's Park East, Port of Spain, for $1.1 million.

A man named Narine, who refused to give his first name, bought two properties at yesterday's auction. These included a parcel of land at Lot 5 in Guayaguayare, Mayaro, for $72,000, in addition to land and a house at "Zorro" Las Cuevas for $380,000.

A man named Nagassar, who also refused to give his first name, bought four parcels of land at Rivulet Road, Indian Trail, Couva, for a total of $760,000.

Successful bidders were required to make a ten per cent deposit of their bid yesterday. The balance is expected to be paid in 30 days.

The auction lasted just under four hours and ended at 1.48 p.m.

Abu Bakr remained mum when contacted by the Express yesterday for comment on the auction.

"No comment," Abu Bakr said.

Contacted an hour after the auction, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, who ordered the auction on the State's behalf, said he was not in a position to comment on the proceedings, as he was not present. He said, however, that he had staff at the event who were to present a report to him. He said then that he would be in a position to comment after reading the report, but attempts to reach him last evening were unsuccessful as calls to his cell phone went unanswered and he did not return calls or text messages sent to him.

BACK TO BAKRS: The property at Dibe Road, Long Circular, which was repurchased by Yasin Abu Bakr's family. —Photo: STEPHEN DOOBAY
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 04:24:08 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2010, 07:29:02 AM »
The place up in la puerta is damn nice house................buut ah could see why nobody go bid a penny fuh it
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>