March 28, 2024, 04:19:46 AM

Author Topic: Yasin Abu Bakr Thread  (Read 41578 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bakr's properties up for sale today
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2010, 07:31:42 AM »
All I can say is wow.
No Reserve price? This is a farce of the highest order.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2010, 09:07:28 AM »
As I said, which person have the balls to buy Bakr property??  And I would think that he had he ppl buy the property back.

Trini is real kicks yes :beermug:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2010, 02:04:24 PM »
was this ever about recouping money or was it to show the people that "we" (PP) will not be bullied or be scared by that terrorist... and to show said terrorist that enough is enough... find some other school yard chum to bully.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2010, 02:41:53 PM »
was this ever about recouping money or was it to show the people that "we" (PP) will not be bullied or be scared by that terrorist... and to show said terrorist that enough is enough... find some other school yard chum to bully.

How they telling de bully anything doh by letting him keep dey lunch money?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2010, 03:33:48 PM »

How they telling de bully anything doh by letting him keep dey lunch money?

it seems that the previous 2 regimes were afraid of this bully by their inaction and blatant partnering with him. His property went on the block is one step in showing him that he's not above the law as he was fooled into believing, with his fear tactics.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2010, 04:09:36 PM »

[/quote]

it seems that the previous 2 regimes were afraid of this bully by their inaction and blatant partnering with him. His property went on the block is one step in showing him that he's not above the law as he was fooled into believing, with his fear tactics.

[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it the last administration that made it possible for his properties to be auctioned off...If I do remember correctly it was the former attorney General John Jeremie who got the ball moving with regards to this issue..PP just happen to be at the right place at the right time..!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »

Yet they let him show up at the auction wid he toy soldiers in tow grandstanding... yuh feel dat wasn't part ah he "fear tactics" as well?  Jokey government... and me eh even talking about de politics, left hand have no idea what right hand doing.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »

Yet they let him show up at the auction wid he toy soldiers in tow grandstanding... yuh feel dat wasn't part ah he "fear tactics" as well? 

fully agree. but if this is a public auction, is it possible to block people from entry or bidding? Also makes me wonder if Kamla out of town due to fear that something may have risen out of this  :thinking:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2010, 07:04:18 PM »

Yet they let him show up at the auction wid he toy soldiers in tow grandstanding... yuh feel dat wasn't part ah he "fear tactics" as well? 

fully agree. but if this is a public auction, is it possible to block people from entry or bidding? Also makes me wonder if Kamla out of town due to fear that something may have risen out of this  :thinking:

They coulde absolutely bar them... "public auction" simply means it's open to the public, it doesn't mean it's a free for all.  Parliament open to the public too (you supposed to be able to siddung in the gallery and take een de happenings)... but feel you could run up in dey in khaki uniform and army boots?  If yuh presence is a distraction/disruption they can and will ask you to leave.

truetrini

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2010, 09:27:52 PM »
dem have money to buy back property?  All dey money should ah be seized long time too!  If they responsible, properties and cash shoulda get huff

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2010, 07:57:51 PM »
I have a few questions. Can somebody please enlighten me...

1. What legitimate business does Mr Bakr and family run to afford such properties in the first place?

2. And if said properties were sold to recoup losses due to the coup, what mechanisms are in place to recover the shortfall? I mean...ah see a property sell for $72,000. That eh no where near what is owed.

3. And why has the government not taken an Uncle Sam approach....if nothing else cyar stick.....hold him for taxes.

In essence this auction ended up being a way for Abu Bakr to legally transfer those assets to his family (where I assume they cannot be touched in future proceedings)
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2010, 09:01:01 PM »
I have a few questions. Can somebody please enlighten me...

1. What legitimate business does Mr Bakr and family run to afford such properties in the first place?

2. And if said properties were sold to recoup losses due to the coup, what mechanisms are in place to recover the shortfall? I mean...ah see a property sell for $72,000. That eh no where near what is owed.

3. And why has the government not taken an Uncle Sam approach....if nothing else cyar stick.....hold him for taxes.

In essence this auction ended up being a way for Abu Bakr to legally transfer those assets to his family (where I assume they cannot be touched in future proceedings)

Bakr remains responsible for the shortfall... not sure what options are at the government's disposal to recoup the difference.  I would think that asset forfeiture would not be an option a second time around.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2010, 06:28:50 AM »
Warner: Bakr begged me to talk to AG
McDonald knocks Govt for robbery over 'charade' auction.

T&T Express Reports.

Three weeks ago, leader of the Jamaat-al-Muslimeen Yasin Abu Bakr met with Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner and pleaded with him to talk to Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, on his behalf, over the sale of his (Bakr's) properties.

Warner yesterday confirmed he met with Bakr at the Ministry of Works and Transport's head office in Port of Spain.

"He had requested to meet with me on five occasions," Warner said.

"I met with him three weeks ago, and he asked me to talk to the AG. I told him immediately, 'No, I cannot do that.'"

Warner was speaking at the ministry's office after a news conference where he announced he will send a written request to the AG for a forensic audit into the Licensing Office.

Bakr's plea to Warner came before ten properties belonging to himself and his second in command, Kala Ahi Bua, were auctioned off at City Hall, Port of Spain, on Tuesday.

The properties were sold after a ruling by Justice Rajendra Narine last year, which gave the State the green light to go after Bakr and his men and reclaim some $42.3 million for the destruction of the police headquarters during the 1990 attempted coup.

Although $5.2 million was recovered from the auction and Bakr's family was able to buy back two of his properties, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar assured the remaining money will be recovered.

She had stated she was satisfied with the auction and revealed it was conducted under a cloud of threats and intimidation.

Yesterday, however, chief whip of the People's National Movement (PNM) Marlene McDonald, described the auction as a "charade" and lambasted the People's Partnership Government for robbing the people of this country.

"The People's National Movement considers the recently concluded auction and sale of properties to have been negligently executed in defraud of the interests of the people of Trinidad and Tobago," McDonald said in a release.

She stressed it was the PNM government who took steps to obtain permission from the courts to move against these properties, in order to have the Jamaat compensate the people of this country for the events of 1990.

"After years of hard-fought litigation, it was to be expected that the present Government would also have proceeded with care to obtain the best price for the properties by placing, at minimum, an upset price at the auction of the properties. Further, the State ought, at minimum, to have proceeded against the cash assets of the Jamaat to prevent the devaluation of the total assets, which were available to satisfy the debt owed to the State," she said.

"The People's National Movement condemns the failure of the State to take these minimum steps to ensure that the orders of the Court, obtained by the previous government, were lawfully and efficiently carried out."

She said "the PNM calls for the immediate inclusion in the terms of reference of the Simmons enquiry of an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the suspicious sale of the properties owned by Yasin Abu Bakr and the Jamaat-al-Muslimeen at auction".

McDonald was referring to the commission of enquiry into the 1990 attempted coup, commissioned by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, which is to be headed by Dr David Simmons, retired chief justice of Barbados.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2010, 08:24:28 AM »
Why would Jack even give Bakr an audience? As a government minister, Warner should not even be entertaining a meeting with Bakr (who BTW committed an act of treason against the Republic of T&T).

A smart politician would even announce to the media that, "Mr Bakr tried to meet with me and I refused on the basis of principle. I told him to let justice take it's course"

.....unless Jack have cocoa in the sun too  :thinking:
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

AirMan

« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2010, 07:20:51 PM »
Bakr freed of conspiracy to murder charge

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hU8EfPjm98I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hU8EfPjm98I</a>

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2010, 08:33:02 PM »
steeeeeups!!!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2010, 05:08:46 AM »
steeeeeups!!!

Hello, I glad.  Commission of enquiry coming up.  I want him dey to say what he know.  Or to see if he was grand charging all this time.... :devil: ;D

On a serious note though, how the police come to conclusion that they had enough to charge him in the first place??   :thinking: :thinking:  Dem does just aide in giving this man unnecessary press..... ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2010, 10:55:59 AM »
tc what offer yuh putting in? ;D

truetrini

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2010, 11:33:17 AM »
tc what offer yuh putting in? ;D

destroy ALL places of worship in T&T....de place already godless, heartless and merciless

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Crying Jamaal Shabazz admits: It was a heinous act.
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2011, 05:35:40 AM »
Crying Jamaat member admits: It was a heinous act
By: Yvonne Baboolal

Jamaal Shabazz, one of the 114 insurrectionists in the 1990 coup attempt, broke down in tears yesterday before the commission of enquiry, indicating that poverty was one of the causes of the uprising.

On July 27, 1990, Shabazz led a group of Muslimeen members in a takeover of Trinidad Broadcasting Corporation on Maraval Road, Port-of-Spain, while other Jamaat leaders seized Trinidad and Tobago Television and the Red House. Beginning with the Biblical record of Jesus sharing five loaves of bread and two fishes among 5,000 people, Shabazz sought to explain his feeling in 1990 that the haves did not share with the have nots. “I feel that whatever little is in the Treasury must filter down to Laventille and Caroni...Every day I in Morvant and Laventille,” he said.

“If Selby could cry, I could cry too!” he added in an angry, emotional outburst. Former finance minister in the NAR administration, Selby Wilson, cried before the commission last week while recounting the assault on himself and other hostages in the Red House. Shabazz, the first of the insurgents to appear before the commission, said in 1990 he didn’t see the “one love” that marked the NAR’s 1986 general election campaign.

“I see in history where in crisis real leaders come down and walk with the people,” he said. “Every day we cook and feed people (at the Jamaat). No matter how much you cook...On a daily basis our lives are cut short dealing with these social issues.” A football coach and former journalist, Shabazz admitted, however, that the coup attempt was a “heinous” act. “May God never have us and our children to do this again...I submit that 1990 was extreme behaviour on our part and could be labelled as fundamentalist,” he said.

He said if there was one thing he wanted from the inquiry was for the children of the insurgents to be at peace with the children of the coup victims. “If those who were wronged in 1990 don’t forgive us, I wouldn’t hold it against them. “But let our grandchildren live in peace without that burden,” Shabazz pleaded. He pointed out, too, that, there would be no amnesty with today’s youth, meaning that there would be no negotiating with them.  He denied evidence of earlier witnesses who all said they felt the Jamaat did not have the support of the masses when they staged the uprising. He said, on the contrary, the fact that the NAR government was voted out lock, stock and barrel in the 1991 general election was proof of mass support.

He claimed that as discredited as the Jamaat was today, it could still bring out 10,000 people to a protest.
Questioned by the commission’s lead counsel, Avory Sinanan, SC, about Jamaat leader, Yasin Abu Bakr’s properties, Shabazz said it is expected that the African man has nothing and stay with nothing but nobody questions the wealth of Ish Galbaransingh or the Sabgas. Even Attorney General Anand Ramlogan scoffed at the idea of Bakr owning properties and the general sentiment was “what is Bakr doing with all that,” he said.

Noting that “the Imam has nice cars,” Shabazz asked: “Who is to say that the Imam doesn’t have a car dealership with some senior politician? “Why must Pastor Cuffie (alone) have a nice car?” he said.

Shabazz further disputed allegations by earlier witnesses that the Jamaat took advantage of poor, dispossessed youth, saying there were teachers, university graduates and businessmen among the insurgents.

“They want to say that the Muslimeen just used some poor, hungry youths to dismiss 1990 as some terrorist act by some mad people. “That’s not how it went down,” he said. Seeking to show the idealism that guided his thinking in 1990, Shabazz said as an admirer of Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King, he was attracted to the Jamaat’s teachings.

He said the Jamaat taught to do what was right and also see to stop the wrong. He said he protested with the group against South African apartheid. Shabazz denied, however, that he was a blind follower of Bakr who, he felt, tried to wake up Afro-Trinidadians who were going nowhere. “I felt it (the coup) was the only course of action...I deserved what was coming to me.”

The 1990 Coup Enquiry
Shabazz: All parties used the Muslimeen
By: Yvonne Baboolal

Baring all before the commission of enquiry into the attempted coup yesterday, 1990 insurgent Jamaal Shabazz told of the secret political love affair between the Jamaat and all of T&T’s major political parties.

The Jamaat al Muslimeen were even part and parcel of the National Alliance for Reconstruction’s (NAR) 1986 “One Love” campaign and the consequent removal of the PNM. It was the same NAR that the Jamaat sought to later overthrow in 1990. Shabazz stated several times that he “will get in trouble with the Muslimeen” or the “Imam will get vex” over his disclosures and asked for many things to be told privately to the commission.

Telling of the Muslimeen’s affiliation with the NAR in 1986, he said: “We lost confidence in the PNM over the land issue...We felt the PNM had done nothing for African people.”

He said the Jamaat held public meetings all over T&T, exposing the deficiencies of the PNM. He said in some cases members of the Jamaat held positions in political parties, like Khalil Saif, who was a part of Club 88, the dissident UNC faction that broke away from the NAR in 1988. Saif would be “very angry” over this disclosure, Shabazz told the commission. Challenging the Congress of the People, who “likes to have an attitude,” to “come and dispute this,” Shabazz said the Jamaat worked with the party in the 2007 general election. “The Muslimeen worked with all the parties in the 2007 elections until it was a joke,” he said.

Unofficial approaches were made by political leaders to Bakr who informed members if they were “going down” with the PNM or the UNC, Shabazz said.

He recalled that the PNM offered the Jamaat money to help them campaign in an election but senior members volunteered to work free for the party to help remove the incumbent UNC government. Shabazz described these approaches as “vague arrangements” which he said he always criticised because they were never put in writing. Further, the Jamaat, which was also affiliated with trade union leaders and community leaders from Morvant, Laventille and Diego Martin, was hired by other groups and hit squads as security, he said.

He said some “brothers,” discontented with the political situation and looking for employment, worked with the parties without the knowledge of Jamaat leader, Yasin Abu Bakr. Shabazz claimed that Jamaat members were not paid personally but from conversations with senior people, they were given the assurance that their land issue would be settled and they would be allowed to play a part in society. He said they worked as security and handed out fliers and “persuaded” people to vote for whichever party.He said before the 1990 uprising, the Jamaat was funded by the World Islamic Society, which was funded by Libya, and was local Muslims.

Jamaal Shabazz, left, chats with fellow member of the Jamaat al Muslimeen Kala Akaii Bua shortly before the start of yesterday’s commission of inquiry into the July 1990 coup attempt. Photo: Karla Ramoo
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Crying Jamaal Shabazz admits: It was a heinous act.
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2011, 10:02:09 AM »
“I feel that whatever little is in the Treasury must filter down to Laventille and Caroni...Every day I in Morvant and Laventille,” he said.

Now it just filtering to you through Jack

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »
“I feel that whatever little is in the Treasury must filter down to Laventille and Caroni...Every day I in Morvant and Laventille,” he said.

Now it just filtering to you through Jack

:beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2011, 12:50:54 PM »
trinis is really ah set jokers and doh care damn,here we have ah set ah wannabe terrorist,rough up de cabinet,body count ah de dead eh sure,nobody eh know much tv and stove people tief.them walkin free,bakr still out,and de jackass gov't give them money.bakr woulda be dead if i had meh way.fight fire with more fire.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »
agreed, I all for contrition an ting but all dem fellahs shoulda be crackin some rock in golden grove before testifyin anywhere
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2011, 03:28:44 PM »
As much as I didn't like the NAR gov't you cannot hold the PM or gov't officials at gunpoint and then negotiate an amnesty for your actions. Treason is flippin treason.....Their actions were responsible for deaths of innocent civilians

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2011, 05:16:42 AM »
Jamaat member claims: NAR cover-up in drug find at Piarco.
By: Yvonne Baboolal (Guardian).

The alleged murder of Woman Police Constable Bernadette James after she saw former National Alliance for Reconstruction (NAR) national security ministers Selwyn Richardson and Herbert Atwell in a room at Piarco Airport with cocaine on a table was a major cause of the 1990 attempted overthow of the Government by Jamaat al Muslimeen insurgents.

This was revealed by senior Jamaat member Jamaal Shabazz as he gave evidence before the commission of enquiry into the coup d’etat, at the Caribbean Court of Justice in Port-of-Spain yesterday. Shabazz, who led the takeover of Radio Trinidad, was one of the 114 insurrectionists who were charged for the uprising. Further, the NAR’s alleged indifference to the thriving drug trade and subsequent attacks on the Jamaat because of its anti-drug campaign were other reasons that led to the attempted coup, Shabazz told the commission.

He said in August 1987, WPC James visited the Jamaat and told senior members that she saw Richardson, Atwell and Major Thompson in a room at the airport with the cocaine.  In his witness statement, Shabazz said Richardson had something on his finger which he tasted and said: “This is the real thing but we have to put a lid on this.

If we allow them to be charged, it will be a big scandal and a lot of big people would be affected. “James said she was chastised for entering the room and ordered to leave. “Her opinion was that a large quantity of cocaine was intercepted by the police and it belonged to an influential family and moves were afoot to cover it up,” Shabazz said.

He said James said she was confused and feared for her life.  In October 1987, James was summoned to do a MOPS (police) operation in Tucker Valley where she was reportedly accidentally shot and killed in a training exercise. Shabazz said the Jamaat immediately called a meeting to discuss the matter. “We felt she was murdered,” he said. The Jamaat made a decision to help stamp out the cocaine trade by going after pushers on the blocks, Shabazz said. “It was causing destruction in the land,” he added.

He said police officers with whom Imam Yasin Abu Bakr spoke about it, said “this thing is bigger than us” and were unable to help. “We focused on the East-West Corridor and took a very militant stance,” Shabazz said. “We seized pushers’ drugs and took it to Trinidad & Tobago Television to destroy it in front of the media. “When we identified a pusher, we would make a raid and bring them in.  “We threatened them and warned them to stop within three days or there would be more serious consequences.”

Shabazz said they used heavy intimidation and succeeded in getting most of the pushers they targeted to stop the illegal trade. “Aggressive hostile persons would get some licks,” he said. Shabazz said with the exception of Tooks and Bulls and the King brothers, who retaliated with a war on the Muslimeen, they managed to subdue the drug trade on the East-West Corridor. Questioned by lead counsel Avory Sinanan, Shabazz denied that the Jamaat was taking the cocaine and selling it. He admitted that rogue elements in the organisation raided blocks on their own for their own benefit and claimed the Jamaat also had to deal with them.

He said sometime after their war on the cocaine trade, the police began arresting Jamaat members on  trumped-up charges. “They instructed the police to come down on us like a steam roller,” Shabazz said. “All our methods to stamp out the drug trade were met with harsh retaliation by the NAR.

“They destroyed a bakery we had in an abandoned DEWD building in Laventille saying we were trespassing. “We had information from national security that the army and the police would come to the compound and an accident would take place and we would be killed. “The NAR tolerated the drug trade...The drug situation definitely led to the attempted coup,” Shabazz said.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:17:08 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2011, 09:52:45 AM »
Yuh ever notice how Shabazz does wear dat old TTFF tracksuit everywhere like a badge of honour.

Yuh get dat since 2005 breds...ease up on it nah.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2011, 05:12:10 PM »
trinis is really ah set jokers and doh care damn,here we have ah set ah wannabe terrorist,rough up de cabinet,body count ah de dead eh sure,nobody eh know much Tb and stove people tief.them walkin free,bakr still out,and de jackass gov't give them money.bakr woulda be dead if i had meh way.fight fire with more fire.
Capo, i doh know yuh fardder and this response is in no wise meant in hostility, but i have to grossly disagree with you.

i could say right now unequivocally that if i never left trinidad i would've been part of that coop! now i don't know how old you are, but back then i would've been 25 yrs old and i remember @ that point in time in T&T there was "ABSOLUTELY" no fackin opportunities for young ppl coming out high school in those days! especially the lest fortunate.

i remember just before i decided to leave T&T all the good fellas in the EDR area was applying for anything including street sweeping jobs, but there was not even a wok tuh pick up dog sh!t in the streets that's how hopeless the situation became.

we applied to the police service, fire services, estate police, amry, coast guard, just to name ah few, and even though we all past the entrance exams, very few of us (two or three us from hundreds) were considered.

i remember when i returned home in 1990 around carnival time, most of them good fellas who i grew up with was sellin balls (crack) just to get by, that's how hopeless it was. remember these were the same fellas who couldv'e been police officers, firefighters or soldiers, as ah matter of fact, i have ah friend right now who is in the coast guard that used to rob businesses (back then fellas didn't rob ppl in the streets) and now he's ah productive member of society.

i would always say and continue to say that poverty and lack of opportunity leads to crime and corruption! T&T was always a society predicated upon nepotism, if yuh farrder or uncle is ah police then you in like flynn, and the same goes for all the other government services.

the neo colonialist saw to it that the lest fortunate were fed on scraps, not even crumbs but mere dust from the crumbs. i listen to some of the experience from the colonial era from my parents and grand parents time, and i have to say, how did those ppl even survived!

most of the lest fortunate (no income poor ppl ) were maids and watchmen, or doing the odd construction job here and there, some of them would've drove ah taxi for a cab company here and there, but it was ah hard time.

there were black ppl who was doing well and were extremely educated like the ellis clarks, david cuaminas and the ulric crosses, but they were few and far between, most black and spanish ppl lived in abject poverty during the colonial era. 

back in the late eighties and nineties it was even worst, we were going through a recession or should i say semi depression that lead to a great exodus, which brings me to this, i believe shabbaz when he said that the billions (oil revenue) was never trickled down to the hood, and the yutes around my age rebelled BC of the lack of care by the system! 

call me naive, but i was there and shabbaz is around my age so he was there too, and maybe abu bakar had his own agenda and saw a grand opportunity to take advantage of a volatile situation, the fact remains that belmont, upper st.anns, EDR, morvant , laventille, the betham, sanjuan hill etc was all totally neglected areas and still is.

this criminal culture we're seeing now was in the making since colonial times that finally took root in the nineties and is now a sub culture in the society, and the lack of opportunities, care, government neglect together with the drug culture is the cause for our present crime situation.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Jamal Shabazz: 1990 coup bid calls for serious analysis
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2011, 09:21:56 AM »
Bakr a no show
By JADA LOUTOO (Newsday).
Thursday, June 30 2011

JAMAAT al Muslimeen leader, Yasin Abu Bakr, through his attorney, has expressed concern that his testifying before the Commission of Inquiry investigating events surrounding the July 27, 1990, insurrection, which he led, was likely to taint the criminal trial against him for sedition and terrorism.

Bakr was scheduled to begin giving evidence before the inquiry, but yesterday’s session turned out to be anti-climatic after it was announced that the Muslimeen leader will not be testifying at this session which comes to an end tomorrow (Friday.)

A larger than usual media contingent were present at the Caribbean Court of Justice, Port-of-Spain, where the inquiry is being held.

Bakr is currently before Justice Mark Mohammed, on charges of sedition, promoting a terrorist act, and inciting others to breach the peace, stemming from his November, 2005 Eid sermon at his Mucurapo mosque.

If convicted, Bakr faces a penalty of 25 years hard labour.

The case has been in abeyance since 2007, when Justice Mohammed granted a cooling down period to determine whether adverse media reports at the time had tapered off enough to ensure he gets a fair trial, after his attorneys complained that pre-trial publicity was likely to taint the case, making it impossible for him to get a fair trial.

He has again raised these concerns, and according to one of his lawyers, Naveen Maharaj, the Jamaat leader was prepared to answer all the commission’s questions as well as assist the inquiry, however, not at this time.

Bakr is expected to appear before Justice Mohammed on July 5, at which time a trial date is expected to be set. Maharaj said they will be seeking to have the trial expedited, and perhaps heard in the new law term, which begins in September.

Maharaj said his lawyers were concerned that the questions asked of him at the inquiry may lead to him conceding, on record, that his actions during the 1990 insurrection amounted to a terrorist act, and this can be used by the prosecution against him at his trial.

His attorneys, who also includes Wayne Sturge, are also concerned that any adverse finding against him on the issue of credibility could also be used against him, and prejudice the trial.

Maharaj said Bakr would not want to contribute to the same pre-trial publicity of which he is complaining, by appearing and giving evidence at the inquiry, but he maintained that the Muslimeen leader “wants to testify, and will testify.”

Lead counsel to the commission, Avory Sinanan, SC, said while Bakr’s concerns about possibly incriminating himself appeared legitimate, the commission was not going to wait on him indefinitely.

He said given the fact that the scheduling of criminal trials were set cast in concrete, Sinanan asked that Bakr’s attorneys provide the commission with a written update on the developments in the criminal courts, so that they can make a realistic timetable for his appearance at the inquiry. Commission chairman, Sir David Simmons informed Maharaj that they were acceding to the request to have Bakr testify at a later stage at the inquiry, but urged him to keep the commission abreast as to the developments regarding the criminal trial.

At his trial in the Port-of-Spain High Court, Bakr had complained that pre-trial publicity was likely to taint the minds of potential jurors, making it impossible for him to get a fair trial.

He had asked that his trial be stayed permanently. But Mohammed instead embraced the suggestion by the prosecution of a cooling-off period to sanitise the minds of potential jurors.

Mohammed said at the time, while the court had to balance press freedom with that of ensuring an accused person received a fair trial, the latter was the prevailing factor.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamal Shabazz: 1990 coup bid calls for serious analysis
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2011, 09:48:31 AM »
Whoa.  Even the muslimeen asking for an inquiryn :o

It's ridiculous that we haven't had anything.  What the history books supposed to say?  Do we have a proper record   ???  

I don't know if our judicial process failed us or not with the pardon but one thing for sure is that we have had some very negative consequences as a result and still paying the price.

I wonder if Shabazz realise how lucky he is to have any freedom because sometimes when he talks about these hardships...ie. 53 days detention in the US...I wonder if he understands how small that is compared to what he should have been serving in jail given what they did.  Still sounds like they feel some amount of justification for what they did even if he believes it could have been done better.  Worrying message we have sent as a country on consequences to assaulting our democracy.

Exactly! You basically hold a country at gun point and talk about struggles! Buh wah de arse is this! What about people who had to go through the trauma of the coup? I had two friends who were at the National Stadium watching a Shell Caribbean Cup match between T&T and Jamaica at the time of the coup. His brother was at my house and I remember both of us worrying about his brothers.

1]; } ?>