March 28, 2024, 02:47:25 PM

Author Topic: Shaka in Rooney Sympathy  (Read 6076 times)

Offline Warrior30

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Shaka in Rooney Sympathy
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:16:00 AM »
http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/article.asp?hlid=392711&clid=835&lid=13&nav=

Trinidad & Tobago goalkeeper Shaka Hislop says it would be unfortunate not to face Wayne Rooney in the World Cup.

The veteran West Ham United custodian and his Soca Warriors team-mates face The Three Lions in Nuremberg on June 15, with many of the English-based T & T players relishing the chance to face Sven Goran Eriksson's men.

The 37-year-old, whose brother Kone works for Rooney's agency ProActive, would understand the disappointment the Manchester United striker would have in missing the finals, but stressed he is more concerned with his country's campaign in Germany.

"What's happened to Wayne is unfortunate," Hislop said in the Daily Star. "I know him and my brother knows him quite well.

"To miss a World Cup is a big blow for a young man. It's easy enough to say that he'll be there in four years' time and for many other World Cups.

"But playing in a World Cup is a fantastic achievement for anyone, regardless of age or what country you play for.

"It's a blow for him and I will feel sad for him, if he doesn't make it.

"Right now, our focus as far as Trinidad & Tobago goes isn't on Wayne or his metatarsal.

"We feel we have to get our own house in order, and then we'll see what the opposition has to throw at us."

His T & T team-mate in former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke has warned their Group B opponents not to underestimate them.

"We have not done ourselves justice in the warm-up matches, but there is a great team spirit and a belief we can get it right," Yorke said.

"I know we are good enough to get results against any of the teams in our group, and that includes England."

For de love of de game

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Rooney heads back with a smile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 08:47:35 PM »
Wayne Rooney boarded a return flight to Baden-Baden tonight, seemingly given the all-clear to join England's World Cup campaign.

While there was no official confirmation from either the Football Association or Manchester United about the results of the scans which took place at the exclusive BUPA hospital in Manchester today, Rooney's smiles as he left the building, and his short drive to Manchester Airport, suggested Sven-Goran Eriksson's optimism over his star striker's fitness has not been mis-placed.

The broad grin of FA executive director David Davies as he accompanied Rooney out of hospital also suggested the 20-year-old would play a part in England's quest to win the World Cup for the first time since 1966.

Rooney was called back to Whalley Range in mid-afternoon after spending a short time at the home of the parents of his girlfriend Coleen McCloughlin.

The £27million forward spent two hours with respective England and United team doctors Lief Sward and Tony Gill, before emerging for his drive through a mass of security guards, fans and media.

Eriksson had already confirmed Rooney was returning but, so far, there has been no guidance on the precise extent of the striker's recovery from the broken foot he suffered at Chelsea on April 27.

Sir Alex Ferguson, who is also believed to have been involved in this afternoon's discussions, had always insisted it would take Rooney six weeks to recover full fitness.

When the results of his player's previous scan were released two weeks ago, the United boss insisted Rooney would have to be fully recovered before he would release his prize asset.

Having warned Rooney not to rush his recovery bid, photographs of the former Everton star kicking a ball in training on Friday and Monday would no doubt have caused Ferguson some consternation.

However, the speed with which Rooney departed for Germany suggests the Scot is happy with the decision which has eventually been made.

In stark contrast to Ferguson, Eriksson has never hid his belief that Rooney would play some part in the competition, even though it was not thought the forward would be available until the first knockout round on June 24 or 25.

Eriksson said: 'I am confident he will take part in the World Cup and he is 300 per cent confident that he will play.

'I have been saying for one month that I am sure he will take part.

'But I look forward to the point when we don't discuss scans and Rooney's foot anymore.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rooney heads back with a smile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 09:45:09 PM »
Oh lawd. I hope he eh suffer no ill effects. Plus you see how he lookin in dat second pic?? Fuh some reason when i see dat i jus think of Hulk running full speed behind a tank bawling " HULK SMASH!!"
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 10:22:38 PM »
send mr rooney come yes. we eh fraid no one. they treat de youth like ah god then rush him back in. big mistake. wihs him all de best. but hope his career eh get miss up cause of this. we have dog in de back there..and high man jack.w e safe liek salessie brief case
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline marcel

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 01:34:18 AM »

yesterday in the news

rooney can not play the group stages but after that  he can play

what an arrogance !!

hope they loose all their games and go home fast

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 02:28:37 AM »
Marcel you really got to stop your english bashing.
It's not arrognace, its reasonable for them to expect to progress from the group.
When Trinidad was grouped with st kitts, barbados etc we fully expected to progress from our group.
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline marcel

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 03:34:14 AM »

i do not agree with you superoli
i think it is disrespect for the other counties in the group
and if the english keep on saying things like this,i keep on reacting on it.

i just wonder why do they say things like that

i dont hear brasil say they will become worldchamps
dont hear france say anything
dont hear argentina say anything

and i rate those teams higher than england

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 04:30:17 AM »
maybe you should read french or spanish papers then
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 04:36:37 AM »
good point,cause all big countries do it,its jus that we mosstly read english papers and are more familiar with their press.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Best case scenario: No Gerrard , No Rooney
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 06:09:29 AM »
How do our chances look now with an England side bereft of arguably their 2 best players? Gerrard has back spasms, so maybe they could rest him against the minnows, while Rooney may not be rushed back unless they lose the first game.

With Gerrard out, they will most likely revert to a traditional 4-4-2 with a holding midfielder, hopefully Carragher and not Carrick and Peter Crouch up front. That sounds good for us. The only really negative thing that makes it worse is that Lampard gets more freedom to attack.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shaka in Rooney Sympathy
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 06:25:25 AM »
Yea, but I think the title should read, better case scenario  ;)

. Things could always get better, who knows what injuries might be picked up in the paraguay first game (not that i wishing injury on anyone). I'm still hoping they have a comfortable win against paraguay, so they come in overconfident against us and decide to experiment with different untested tactics against.

We can all dream  ;D
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Rooney might play against us on Thursday according to BBC.....
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 07:52:38 AM »
Hi Guys,
I was just looking at BBC news and they were live at the England match pitch and saying how they think Rooney might get into action as soon as next week against us. 

I just thought I will tell you guys I just heard it on BBC news

Offline kevinAckin

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rooney might play against us on Thursday according to BBC.....
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 07:58:15 AM »
last night i dreamt that he was playing against us

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 07:59:01 AM »
de PITBULL gobe in de house
good to see him back
I know allya Warriors go play allya hearts out

De Pitbull in and we Big Dog out?

Dat doh seem right
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 08:01:55 AM »
I just heard them saying it on BBC but they say that Manchester United is not totally liking it because instead of healing properly, it may be too soon. They say he training good but Manchester says it is too early.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 08:13:33 AM »
de PITBULL gobe in de house
good to see him back
I know allya Warriors go play allya hearts out

De Pitbull in and we Big Dog out?

Dat doh seem right
       They always say what you wish for does come back to haunt you,i'm glad to hear he might be able to play,any right thinking Coach will use this game as the best game to try him in even if it's off the bench.

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 08:19:47 AM »
Yes I was thinking they may not play him for the entire match but probably give him a run

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 08:26:29 AM »
BBC.co.uk

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is ready to risk the wrath of Sir Alex Ferguson and plunge Wayne Rooney into the World Cup group stages.

The 20-year-old will play no part in Saturday's opener against Paraguay.

But it is understood Eriksson has not ruled out Rooney playing against Trinidad and Tobago or Sweden if he feels he is fit.

Such a move may infuriate Ferguson, with England and the Manchester United boss at odds over Rooney's recovery.

Rooney returned to the team hotel on Wednesday after being given medical clearance to take his place in England's official World Cup squad.

Eriksson and Ferguson spoke by telephone on Wednesday after Rooney had scans on his foot, which he injured against Chelsea in April.

WORLD CUP BLOG
Sven is a bit like the wife who has been nagged once too often and finally decided to chuck her husband's suitcases out

Our man in the England camp
More on our World Cup blog 

There was agreement between the two sides that he had recovered completely from his broken metatarsal.

But United insist he will not be ready to play until after the group stages at the earliest.

They fear pushing Rooney back in too soon could cause further injury setbacks.

But Eriksson is in a defiant mood and has made it clear he and Rooney will have the final say on when the forward will play in the World Cup.

And it is now emerging that if Eriksson and his back-up team feel Rooney is match-fit after the Paraguay game, he will come into consideration in the right circumstances.

Ferguson will be furious if Rooney's return causes another injury problem to his right foot, but Eriksson is happy to be the judge of when the striker can make his comeback.

606 VIEW
If Rooney is fully recovered, of course he should play in the group stages

JL
606: Have your say 

Eriksson will hope the situation can be averted with impressive England results in the group games which will reduce the need to take the slightest risk with Rooney.

But the Swede is willing to follow up his clear message that he is in charge of Rooney's World Cup fate by playing him in group matches if he believes it is right.

Rooney had a double training session on Monday after England arrived at their World Cup base and has lost two kilos of weight since his injury.

The United striker's stamina levels are said to be good.

And while Eriksson is determined to make up his own mind on Rooney's fitness, he will be as keen as Ferguson to avoid any injury setbacks for his most influential player.

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 08:29:11 AM »
Uefa president Lennart Johansson has warned England coach Sven Goran Eriksson not to rush Wayne Rooney back into action.Although some reports claim the Manchester United striker will be on the bench against Paraguay on Saturday, it is certain that he will not be considered as an option for the manager.

After Rooney's battle to recover from a fractured metatarsal, the eyes of the world are anxiously awaiting his first-ever appearance in the World Cup finals.

"England? Maybe somebody up there was listening," Johansson told Sky Sports News, suggesting the nation's prayers had been answered.

"I hope they don't take any big risk with this because England need him.

"He is different. Like we have Zlatan [Ibrahimovic]," said the Swede. "Players who, all of a sudden, do things you can't expect.

"These sort of players - Brazil have them, Argentina have them. We'll have to wait and see."

France legend Michel Platini, who is challenging Johansson for Uefa's top job, believes Rooney can make a big impact in Germany.

"I think it's good for England but not for the other teams," explained the former Juventus midfielder.

"I am very happy that Rooney plays with England - until he plays against France."

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 08:29:50 AM »
Rooney is injury free - Eriksson     

The last say in this story is Rooney's and mine

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson
England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson said striker Wayne Rooney is "injury free" and will be able to play at the World Cup as soon as he is match fit.
The 20-year-old returned to England's camp late on Wednesday after a scan on his broken foot in Manchester.

"I'm doing this in the best interests of Rooney, the England team and 40 million England fans," said Eriksson.

"I'm prepared to listen to everyone and discuss Rooney, but the last say in this story is Rooney's and mine."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 08:41:44 AM »
When cyd hit him a welcome back blade.....he go really wish he did keep he ass quiet until second rounds  :devil:
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 09:19:31 AM »
When cyd hit him a welcome back blade.....he go really wish he did keep he ass quiet until second rounds  :devil:

same thing i was thinkin wen i was scrollin down readin de others :devil: :rotfl: :rotfl:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shaka in Rooney Sympathy
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 06:41:28 PM »
CYD WILL FIX HIM

1]; } ?>