April 19, 2024, 04:07:24 PM

Author Topic: Swedes offer T&T tough baptism  (Read 4227 times)

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Swedes offer T&T tough baptism
« on: June 07, 2006, 11:14:54 AM »
7 June 2006
by FIFAworldcup.com

On 10 June at 18:00 CET, Sweden will open their account against first-timers Trinidad and Tobago at the FIFA World Cup Stadium Dortmund. The Europeans will surely be considered heavy favourites, but the Caribbean debutants, led by their experienced coach Leo Beenhakker, will be keen to spoil the party.
Colours for the game
Trinidad and Tobago: red shirt, black shorts, red socks
Sweden: yellow shirt, yellow shorts, yellow socks 

View the Germany 2006 match schedule

The players
Tiny Trinidad’s hopes will be pinned squarely on their two ageing stars, Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy. Still considered driving forces, the pair will be doing their all to set the table for top scorer Stern John while imposing Rangers centre-back Marvin Andrews tidies up at the back. He and goalkeeper Shaka Hislop are bound to have plenty of work to do with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Henrik Larsson and Freddie Ljungberg leading the attacking threat for the Swedes. In all, the match should represent something of a baptism of fire for T&T – the smallest nation ever to qualify for a FIFA World Cup™ finals and only the fourth participant from the Caribbean.

How they qualified
After the decision was made to award the fourth team in the CONCACAF Zone spot a play-off against Asia's fourth team, Trinidad and Tobago jumped on the opportunity. After finishing behind the USA, Mexico and Costa Rica, they were victorious in a two-legged play-off with Bahrain for a spot in Germany. Sweden, on the other hand, roared to the top of European qualifying Group 8 to finish level on points with Croatia. Although they finished second in the group, their impressive points return - they won eight of their ten games - earned them one of the automatic qualifying places for best runners-up.

Previous meetings
As this will be T&T’s first finals, the two sides have clearly never met on the world’s top stage. But the two did square off once before, in November 1983 in Port of Spain when the home side were beaten 5-0. They will be hoping for better things this time around as they aim to become the first finals debutant from CONCACAF to win their opening match.

Tournament history
Previously, the closest T&T came to reaching the finals was in 1990 when they needed only a draw at home against the United States to reach Italy. Yorke and Latapy were both in the team that lost out that day. Sweden, for their part, have an impressive finals history. In 1958 they reached the Final on home soil. They also finished fourth in 1938 and reached the semi-finals again in 1994. In all they have qualified for ten instalments of the FIFA World Cup and are never an easy opponent.

Key contest
The responsibility of keeping a lid on the Swedish strike force of Ibrahimovic and Larsson will fall to Andrews. But if he and Hislop stand firm, Trinidad have a chance as John, Yorke and Latapy could give Olof Mellberg and Co a hard time at the other end.

The coaches
Dutchman Beenhakker took over for Trinidad midway through a stop-start qualifying campaign. The team’s fortunes immediately improved with the former Real Madrid, Ajax and Netherlands boss on board. He commands the respect of the players and seems to have brought a little discipline to a team not short of skill. Sweden coach Lars Lagerback, meanwhile, is known as a pure player’s manager. Now alone after the departure of Tommy Soderberg, he is keen on meticulous preparation and keeps a database of potential opposition players.

Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Gfunk

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Is Sweden going to "carpet bomb us?"
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 11:34:11 AM »
Is this going to happen? Can it happen?

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
Re: Is Sweden going to "carpet bomb us?"
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 11:37:34 AM »
As long as there is breath in me i refuse to believe that any team in World Cup will bomb us.....

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Swedes offer T&T tough baptism
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 02:19:46 PM »
latas an shaka eh even bound to start
especially shaka

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 09:18:45 PM »
The players
Tiny Trinidad’s hopes will be pinned squarely on their two ageing stars, Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy. Still considered driving forces, the pair will be doing their all to set the table for top scorer Stern John while imposing Rangers centre-back Marvin Andrews tidies up at the back. He and goalkeeper Shaka Hislop are bound to have plenty of work to do with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Henrik Larsson and Freddie Ljungberg leading the attacking threat for the Swedes. In all, the match should represent something of a baptism of fire for T&T – the smallest nation ever to qualify for a FIFA World Cup™ finals and only the fourth participant from the Caribbean.

In this along with so many other profiles I've seen the authors simply choose the most obvious players to rank a team. OK Yorke and Stern are critical to the team but Shaka and Latapy will not even start at the world cup. They mention a player like Zlatan who no doubt is supremely talented but in reality is ketching his backside to regain fitness and form. They omitted the importance of Mellberg at the back or Issackson's fitness and furthermore left out Birchall and Otis in their report. That's why its so important to just watch football and make a judgement for yourself. People are saying that T&T and Angola are likely to be the most eminently dispatchable. If this idea is based solely on what some "expert" knows about you then I think it can be easily ignored .

Offline Trini/Sverige

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Swedisht secret:Ljungberg playing free role
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 02:17:01 AM »
http://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/shared/mediacenter/player.jsp?d=45408&a=605083  sorry but its in swedish it bascially says that defensive midfielder tobias linderoth i injured,and that the keeper is better and that ljungberg will play a free roll in the midfield as a secret weapon against trinidad and tobago

Offline trini_chris

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Breaking News-Injured Swede
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 06:01:10 AM »
ppl i was just listening 2 tv6 and their correspondant just said that one of sweden's main players just received a head injury and would be out of saturday's game. i didn't hear which player it is. could any of u confirm this report?
d original WARRIOR PRINCESS. win or lose i am a FIGHTER.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ibrahimovic to enjoy renunion with mentor
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 09:47:28 AM »
World-Swede Ibrahimovic to enjoy reunion with mentor
Yahoo! Sport

BREMEN, June 8 (Reuters) - Sweden's Zlatan Ibrahimovic is looking forward to catching up with old friend Leo Beenhakker when the Swedes play Trinidad & Tobago on Saturday.

Dutchman Beenhakker, who worked with Ibrahimovic at Ajax Amsterdam, now coaches the Caribbean country, who are appearing at their first-ever finals.

"Leo was my first real coach, he brought about my first transfer and gave me confidence and many opportunities," Ibrahimovic told a news conference on Thursday.

"He was more than a coach, he was also a friend and a special friend. So Saturday's game will be special also for me."

The Juventus striker is one of Sweden's trio of lethal attackers, so-called "Super Swedes" which also includes Barcelona's veteran striker, Henrik Larsson and Arsenal's Freddie Ljungberg.

They manged a total of 20 goals in 10 matches in qualification for Germany, with Ibrahimovic netting eight times.

"It is not all about us, it is about the whole team and how the whole team plays," Ibrahimovic said.

But the importance of the trio was highlighted against Ireland in a friendly in March. Sweden lost 3-0 with Ljungberg missing and Ibrahimovic forced off early through injury.

Runners-up in 1958, Sweden finished second behind Croatia in qualifying. They finished top of a difficult group four years ago which included Argentina, only to lose in the second round on a golden goal against Senegal.

More recently, Sweden reached the quarter-finals of Euro 2004, going out on penalties to the Netherlands. Ibrahimovic, 24, missed one of the crucial spotkicks.

"I don't think about that. You can miss a penalty at any time," he said.

"It will not affect me if I find myself in the same position again. It's all about looking forward, not back.

After Trinidad & Tobago in Dortmund, Sweden face Paraguay in Berlin on June 15 and England in Cologne on June 20.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline FATZ

• Hero Warrior
  • I SELL FOOTBALL JERSEYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 01:29:28 PM »
T&T needs to beware of Sweden's fast start, i draw reference again to their game against Bulgaria when they hit them 5.
WELCOME TO DINSLEY OUT IN THE STREETZ THEY CALL ME FATZ

Without Him, I am nothing but with Him I can do all things. Phil 4:13

Offline FATZ

• Hero Warrior
  • I SELL FOOTBALL JERSEYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 01:31:48 PM »
I forgot to add that we all know how T&T likes to start slow and give up early goals.
WELCOME TO DINSLEY OUT IN THE STREETZ THEY CALL ME FATZ

Without Him, I am nothing but with Him I can do all things. Phil 4:13

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 01:42:49 PM »
we need a slow start without giving up early goals. Trinbago is beginning to have a style. I think im kinda liking it too. They seem to bore the opposition to death and when the other Team take they foot off de pedal if even for an instant Mr. "bount to score Stern"..... go throw way dat one but look out because he like to score after he throw way. Like Small M say de other day if we could hold dem for de first 15 minutes they could have problems.
If Sweden score early but is only 1-0 into  de second half dey go have problems because we have bout 3-4  super subs.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Zlatan-Bennie.....
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 02:38:26 PM »
Brings back memories? We ain't want no smiling thing on saturday while the game going on though

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 04:22:11 PM »
but from what i hearing now shaka really is starting... i dont mind... just once it aint imps... lol

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidad team is decided, says coach Beenhakker
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 11:38:58 PM »
Trinidad team is decided, says coach Beenhakker
Thursday, June 8, 2006

by Darren Ennis

WUEMME, Germany (Reuters): Trinidad & Tobago coach Leo Beenhakker
says his players know him so well he does not need to tell them his
side for their opening Group B game against Sweden on Saturday.

"They know who will start, I don't have to tell them, and they are
not stupid," Beenhakker told reporters on Wednesday.

"All they have to do is work out who is wearing which bib in training."

The Dutchman said he chose his first 11 last week but would not reveal it.

"Sorry but I have no bibs, so I can't let you work it out," said Beenhakker.

One thing certain is captain Dwight Yorke's role in his country's
first World Cup finals.

Beenhakker expects a lot from Yorke, who will play between the
midfield and the main striker.

"Dwight is a key player. He is crucial not just when we have the ball
but when we don't have the ball," he said.

"Football is like tennis, you must not allow any unforced errors, so
you need to keep the ball. But if you do lose the ball it must not be
in a crucial area."

Trinidad play England in their second group match in Nuremburg on
June 15 before finishing the opening phase against Paraguay in
Kaiserslautern on June 20.

Roj (Roger James)

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
AP: Sweden heavy favorites in Group B opener
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 08:36:21 AM »
Sweden heavy favorite in Group B opener
Associated Press

DORTMUND, Germany (AP) - On paper, Trinidad and Tobago look like an easy opponent for Sweden in their World Cup Group B opener on Saturday.

Sweden coach Lars Lagerback is cautious but optimistic.

"I think Trinidad and Tobago is a tricky team to play because they have some qualities," Lagerback said. "We have to be focused, but if we are I'm rather convinced that we'll beat them. They're the underdogs."

Trinidad midfielder Aurtis Whitley doesn't mind being underdogs.

"We don't get tired of it," he said. "Everybody has their own opinion. But I know there will be upsets in this World Cup."

Asked if Trinidad would provide them, Whitley said, "We don't know for sure but if everyone plays good, you don't know what's possible."

Sweden's hopes took a blow when goalkeeper Andreas Isaksson was ruled out on Thursday because of a mild concussion.

Isaksson was hit in the face by midfielder Kim Kallstrom's hard shot during a workout the day before.

"He was hit by a very hard shot and his head also hit the ground afterwards," Sweden team doctor Anders Valentin said. "He was never unconscious, but he was quite confused and disoriented. It will take a few days to get him back, five or maybe six days."

Isaksson had an outstanding qualifying campaign for Sweden, conceding only four goals in 10 games. The 1.99-meter (6-foot-6) 'keeper played for Rennes in the French league for the past two seasons.

"I feel sorry for him. He's a world-class goalkeeper and I think he'll become one of the world's best goalkeepers in the future," teammate Zlatan Ibrahimovic said.

Isaksson will be replaced by either former Arsenal goalkeeper Rami Shaaban or Viborg's John Alvbage.

Both are inexperienced at the national team level. Shaaban played one half in Sweden's 0-0 draw against Finland last week - his first international appearance. Alvbage has two caps.

Trinidad and Tobago suffered its own injury hit when Glasgow Rangers defender Marvin Andrews twisted his injured left knee in practice on Thursday. An MRI revealed a severe sprain, and manager Bruce Aanensen doubted he would start on Saturday.

A year ago, Andrews defied medical experts when he refused an operation to repair left knee ligaments, and returned to training two weeks later. He has been playing ever since, though he hurt the same knee in training last week in Austria.

Andrews' injury added to the disadvantages for Trinidad and Tobago, which will make its debut in the World Cup against one of the tournament's most experienced teams.

Sweden has more players on its current squad from the 2002 World Cup than any other team in Germany.

In 2002, in it's 10th World Cup, Sweden won the "Group of Death" ahead of England, and eliminated Argentina and Nigeria.

Two years ago in the European Championship, the Swedes lost only after a penalty shootout to the Netherlands.

Sweden's experience will be a big advantage against Trinidad and Tobago, making its first World Cup start.

"We know it's a very important game for us," said striker Henrik Larsson, who set up both goals in FC Barcelona's 2-1 win over Arsenal in the Champions League final. "It's the first game of the tournament so we know we need to get a good result.

"We have great respect for them, but at the same time we have belief in our own team. So we're going to go out there and try to do our best to get the result we want."

Larsson, who has scored 35 goals in 89 internationals, is Sweden's oldest and most capped player.

A two-time winner of the Golden Shoe as Europe's top goalscorer in 2000 and '01 when he played with Celtic, Larsson is one of two Swedes who played in the 1994 side which finished third in the United States and made the second round in Japan four years ago.

Now he's one of the "Big Three" along with Arsenal's Fredrik Ljungberg and Juventus' Ibrahimovic.

The trio scored 20 of the team's 30 goals in the qualifying rounds.

"But I don't think they (Trinidad and Tobago) should be afraid of us three," Ibrahimovic said. "I think they should be afraid of the whole team. We came to the World Cup as a team, not only three players."

For Ibrahimovic, it's been a tough second season in Italy. He scored only seven goals for Juve - less than half compared to his rookie campaign in the Serie A.

When Ibrahimovic netted in early May, he snapped a nine-game goalscoring drought. For Sweden, "Ibra" has played 173 minutes without scoring.

But he's not worried going into his second World Cup.

"I'm confident for this World Cup," said Ibrahimovic, a substitute in two games during the 2002 World Cup.

Trinidad goalkeeper Kelvin Jack is impressed by Ibrahimovic.

"I think anyone with cable TV would see him all the time," Jack said. "He's a very good player. There's no doubt about that. They have a lot of very good players.

"You have Larsson, you have Freddie Ljungberg, and (Olof) Mellberg. But at the end of the day, they are only human beings and if we can do the right things maybe we can unsettle them a bit."

Trinidad striker Stern John is looking forward to lapping it all up.

"Probably one of the biggest games in the country's history," John said. "The expectation in Trinidad is for us not to get embarrassed. We just go out to try to play good football and work hard as a team, and maybe we can make some friends.

"You have to enjoy it a little. Opportunities like this don't really come every day. It's a great achievement by the whole team and even for the country. So you need to stay focused as much and enjoy it as much as you can."

Offline marcel

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: AP: Sweden heavy favorites in Group B opener
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 08:53:46 AM »

t&t have a good chance against sweden
this is the crucial match in the poule
too bad its the first one
i have the feeling beenhakker is going to start very defensive
should be wise

just put an elbow in zlatans face,he knows how its works.

larsson has a dutch wife,just ask beenhakker for some nice swearwords,
should work

ljungberg is being kept by yorke,so no problems there

only problem is to keep stern awake,can we build an mp3 player in his head with some nice ac/dc rock?
2 goals a match,garanteed!

have a great weekend rockerzz!!

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Sweden's 1st String Goalie Injured...Even More Lash For Them Now!!
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 09:13:17 AM »
Swedish 1st string goalkeeper Andreas Isaksson is injured.

Isaksson has been our number one since 2002. Now, just days after he injured his rear, falling awkwardly, the 24-year old keeper has been ruled out of Sweden’s World Cup opening match on Saturday Trinidad & Tobago after taking a vicious shot from midfielder Kim Källström in the face.

Isaksson was hit by a shot in the face and fell to the ground, knocking his head.

“His head hit the ground. He was never unconscious but disorientated and the symptoms persisted for hours,” said Anders Vallentin, Sweden’s team doctor.

“It is too early to play against Trinidad and Tobago. It will take around five or six days for him to get back.

Sweden’s coach Lars “Lasse” Lagerbäck will now have to choose between the in-form Rami Shabaan, who currently plays for Norwegian side Fredrikstad, and Viborg’s John Alvbåge.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 09:51:09 AM by #8 »

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Don't See Why De Goals Won't Flow Against Them...Even More Now!!
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 09:18:58 AM »
that is sad news for him...he is a boss goalie. Hope he recovers in time to get some playing time this WC

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad team is decided, says coach Beenhakker
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 03:37:46 PM »
whey de insider man? arouca ah think he name, come on breds leak some info  ;D
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 04:17:21 PM »
Ah see in yesterdays UK papers the ex-joint Sweden coach Soderberg saying he expect Sweden tuh give we between 4 and 6 goals tomorrow (Sorry too depressed tuh quote sources). The UK media and TV pundits only concerned with paraguay and sweden.....as far as the T&T game, they think that already done! Ah know the realists go come and start saying "What yuh expect...we doh deserve respect!", well it still pretty hurtfull. Ah envy the people back in T&T and States who doh have to hear the constant crap! Even meh own Wife and Kids saying they hope T&T get serious licks (no holiday fuh dem this year...or next!)

COME ON WARRIORS! SHOCK THE WORLD!

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 04:29:15 PM »
Ah see in yesterdays UK papers the ex-joint Sweden coach Soderberg saying he expect Sweden tuh give we between 4 and 6 goals tomorrow (Sorry too depressed tuh quote sources). The UK media and TV pundits only concerned with paraguay and sweden.....as far as the T&T game, they think that already done! Ah know the realists go come and start saying "What yuh expect...we doh deserve respect!", well it still pretty hurtfull. Ah envy the people back in T&T and States who doh have to hear the constant crap! Even meh own Wife and Kids saying they hope T&T get serious licks (no holiday fuh dem this year...or next!)

COME ON WARRIORS! SHOCK THE WORLD!

i know how yuh feel hoss... my girlfriend laugh at me when i say we gettin into the 2nd round if we play hard... and she laugh when i get upset b/c i read a article where ppl wuz saying that we going to do the worst in the WC... c'mon warriors prove the world wrong!!!!lol

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2006, 11:21:11 AM »
Some babtism that was :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

We had de fire water :rotfl: :rotfl:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 11:24:29 AM »
dey didn't know we use different kinda water to baptise in...

bush water and ah touch and rum

1]; } ?>