April 24, 2024, 01:10:12 PM

Author Topic: Bring Stern on as a sub  (Read 7499 times)

Offline whayuhsay

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Bring Stern on as a sub
« on: June 11, 2006, 09:59:57 AM »
I though I would have seen more aggression from him, maybe that's the role Beenie wanted, to just loaf in de box but still, bringing him on as a sub in the 2nd half might light the fire I know he is capable of, I am just not seeing it lately.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Stern on as a sub
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 10:01:53 AM »
You must be crazy or you are a England supporter
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 10:07:18 AM »
You must be crazy or you are a England supporter

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
he hah to be supporting England ........
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline whayuhsay

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 10:11:53 AM »
allyuh good oui.... ;D

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 10:41:14 AM »
With the style of ball that we are playing Stern is crucial. teh only question is whether he should get another striker alongside him.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 10:41:32 AM »
england have to GIANT centre halves and stern go have he hands full dont say bring him on as a sub..wear them down for the first 70 minutes then bring on kenwyne tall quik ass to give more rpessure and see what go hapen

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 10:50:21 AM »
Ths problem with Stern is that he playing by himself. Look when Glen came on, it was a nice pass from Stern that sent him through to hit the crossbar.  It is the same with England. When they took off Owen, Crouch could do nothing on his own.

I belive the plan to to defend in mass and then put on the second striker in the 2nd half to go for the win. Unfortunately because Avery got sent off we could not stick to the plan yesterday. But don't worry against England we will put the full plan into action.

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 10:51:53 AM »
i agree when stern was playing with birmingham and scrubbing bench,when he come he used to be real thirsty.he to comfortable now

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 11:02:47 AM »
england have to GIANT centre halves and stern go have he hands full dont say bring him on as a sub..wear them down for the first 70 minutes then bring on kenwyne tall quik ass to give more rpessure and see what go hapen

You must be crazy,bring on kenwynne and not glenn,you is ah madman.............

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 11:33:41 AM »
EHy EHy

ALyuh doe bad talk #14

If I......could come here and defend he then yuh know the man play good.

#14 Real play today...3 men on him and he trap and screen and perform he role.

I giving him he pips for this one!

Not a man on the TT side pull stones today.

Lewwe just move orn and get better.

Bless

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 11:58:13 AM »
EHy EHy

ALyuh doe bad talk #14

Bless
touches not hitting #14..lawd fadda de end ah de world?? ah blue moon..let m,eh confess meh sins now  ;D
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 12:46:10 PM »
EHy EHy

ALyuh doe bad talk #14

Bless
touches not hitting #14..lawd fadda de end ah de world?? ah blue moon..let m,eh confess meh sins now  ;D

Well boy I an all stunned dat touches eat dat stew crow easy so

Next ting yuh go see is Disgruntled aksin stern for he autograph oui
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 01:49:16 PM »
EHy EHy

ALyuh doe bad talk #14

Bless

like yuh eh see theobald!

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 02:13:06 PM »
EHy EHy

ALyuh doe bad talk #14

Bless
Who is that who signed on with Touches account there?  I don't believe what I reading here.

Anyway, I welcome all converts. ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 02:15:09 PM by 1989 »
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline in dey pwefen!

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 02:42:18 PM »
I though I would have seen more aggression from him...

I doh know what you was looking at but how dat could happen when is he alone and he totally covered. give de man some props for how he played. if Glen did score instead ah sure you woulda talk bout de pass

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »
watch the mistakes england makes in the back... especially terry... iz real dotishness... we need a man like stern to capitalize on thing like that... maybe we should start with him and glen for the most... stern should stay we need his aggression (whenever he decides to show it) and his ability to retain the ball in the air... u cant judge the man by one game

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 03:00:27 PM »
EHy EHy

ALyuh doe bad talk #14

Bless

Touches boy I agree. I tried my best not to send out positive vibes about Stern for the whole week. The breeze carboard Stern still in one piece. :)

I do not think we should bring him on as a sub. Leave him in. He wants it, besides he is a good distraction for when glen is on the field. the defense wiil have two to worry about and most likely they might be too preoccupied with Stern cause of his record and what not and Glen might score a goal.

I do not believe that we should play with only him up front though. That jus not cutting it.

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 03:41:57 PM »
Stern should come on as a sub ,these days he not in form and we need form players like Glen on since is the world cup .and also ah find Stern falling down to fast and unable to turn with the ball coming on as a sub might bring back his form.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 04:03:26 PM »
If we playing 4-5-1 and looking for the striker to hold up the ball maintain possession and have the midfielders play off him. then only men that could fit that role in this team would be stern or dwight.
nobody else on this team could handle that lone ranger striker role.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 04:19:45 PM »
If Stern is to trap and hold up, surround by 2-3 defenders, shouldn't he be doing it, when those 2-3 defenders are least alert...and would maybe give him a slight leeway to work his magic...the way John plays, and he manage to make the trap, while under pressure, and he manage to safely hold up the ball, while our link men run up, and he just manages to pass to them, and the play doesn't finish with a shot,(more than 90 % don't), and those link men have to run back, cause that is their job, how much runs will they make, therefore Stern will be alone, most of the time, because of the way he plays...nb: Glen on the other hand, Left side, attack, Glen run over dey, for a ine ball, a chest trap, a true pass,right side ball. is line, is try, is shot, center ball is collect, is feed...the fella was everywhere... John still holding up.....waiting for what...2 of the 3 to fall down, Birchall/ Carlos to run 40, take on 2, and give him and open shot, and then run 40 back, immediately, to stop the opposing team....I don't think it will happen often...
I repeat, either Stern play behind the Target men, and capitalize on their hustle, or he comes on when the opposing defense are at their limits, and most likelly prone to error, cause he is the most likely to capatalize on such errors, but early in the game he could shield and hold how much he want, it requires to much work on our midfield at this level...as everyone has to play to their limits, not just do what yuh used to do, against, SVG or Genada, and expect it to work.....nb: I repeat, Stern is the best goal scorer we have, but the worst as far is work rate required....He does work hard, but unfortunately, he works hard for himself...whether intentionally or not....It requires to much of a perfect game from the rest of the Team, and puts us under high amt of pressure as we saw today...
So although Stern contributed today, his contribution was small in comparison to everyone else...even if he managed to touch 1 ball facing the goal..
Theobald was not on top his game either, but he did contribute...Whitley played well, but his running seemed as if he still carrying something....John is a big lorse, I thought that defense was playing better than I ever saw dem play, especially with the counters, to bad BeenE have to juggle again....Although Jack would have been my 1 st Choice...Shaka has always been a borse, and he was ready when called...Yorke raises our level to World Class....El CYD......Sancho started off nervous, buh did the business and more....Lawrence very good....Carlos made LUTON owners very happy, how cheap dey have him for... Birchall need to relax more, maintain the hard work, buh the head must stay cool. ...i.e. the engine working hard buh the brain operating in normal mode...doh play soca for im..give him ah ipod with some ColdPlay or some brit band so, an he go move in time nice, nice..jus teasin ;D..
Overall Team work and display - A
Shaka, Yorke, Edwards, Glen(sub) - A+
Sancho, Lawrence, Gray - A
John, Whitley(sub) - B+
Birchall, Theobald - B
Stern - C  ( he still get a good pass)

BeenE - A ( dat Glen sub was borse) for getting the guys as ready as they were.

Jus my opinion, thus one interpretation, not necessarily the only view

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2006, 04:57:06 PM »
all good opinions given here but bottom line is beenie is a good experienced coach and has made some good moves so far and he has decided that stern is best suited to his plan so stern continues to get the nod. Beenhaker is not an idiot he know what he is doing.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2006, 05:08:38 PM »
EHy EHy

ALyuh doe bad talk #14

Bless

like yuh eh see theobald!

I was ah big theobald critic in the past,but after watching him play against sweden I have kept silent so far,he played with heart and passion and most of all he proved to all of us he's worthy of a place on the team,sometimes all it takes is believing in yourself,we are all striving for perfection living in a imperfect world,remember the owens,beckhams,lampards and all those stars are human and prone to mistakes and as far as I see it england can be beaten................

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2006, 06:03:12 PM »
If Stern is to trap and hold up, surround by 2-3 defenders, shouldn't he be doing it, when those 2-3 defenders are least alert...and would maybe give him a slight leeway to work his magic...the way John plays, and he manage to make the trap, while under pressure, and he manage to safely hold up the ball, while our link men run up, and he just manages to pass to them, and the play doesn't finish with a shot,(more than 90 % don't), and those link men have to run back, cause that is their job, how much runs will they make, therefore Stern will be alone, most of the time, because of the way he plays...nb: Glen on the other hand, Left side, attack, Glen run over dey, for a ine ball, a chest trap, a true pass,right side ball. is line, is try, is shot, center ball is collect, is feed...the fella was everywhere... John still holding up.....waiting for what...2 of the 3 to fall down, Birchall/ Carlos to run 40, take on 2, and give him and open shot, and then run 40 back, immediately, to stop the opposing team....I don't think it will happen often...
I repeat, either Stern play behind the Target men, and capitalize on their hustle, or he comes on when the opposing defense are at their limits, and most likelly prone to error, cause he is the most likely to capatalize on such errors, but early in the game he could shield and hold how much he want, it requires to much work on our midfield at this level...as everyone has to play to their limits, not just do what yuh used to do, against, SVG or Genada, and expect it to work.....nb: I repeat, Stern is the best goal scorer we have, but the worst as far is work rate required....He does work hard, but unfortunately, he works hard for himself...whether intentionally or not....It requires to much of a perfect game from the rest of the Team, and puts us under high amt of pressure as we saw today...
So although Stern contributed today, his contribution was small in comparison to everyone else...even if he managed to touch 1 ball facing the goal..
Theobald was not on top his game either, but he did contribute...Whitley played well, but his running seemed as if he still carrying something....John is a big lorse, I thought that defense was playing better than I ever saw dem play, especially with the counters, to bad BeenE have to juggle again....Although Jack would have been my 1 st Choice...Shaka has always been a borse, and he was ready when called...Yorke raises our level to World Class....El CYD......Sancho started off nervous, buh did the business and more....Lawrence very good....Carlos made LUTON owners very happy, how cheap dey have him for... Birchall need to relax more, maintain the hard work, buh the head must stay cool. ...i.e. the engine working hard buh the brain operating in normal mode...doh play soca for im..give him ah ipod with some ColdPlay or some brit band so, an he go move in time nice, nice..jus teasin ;D..
Overall Team work and display - A
Shaka, Yorke, Edwards, Glen(sub) - A+
Sancho, Lawrence, Gray - A
John, Whitley(sub) - B+
Birchall, Theobald - B
Stern - C  ( he still get a good pass)

BeenE - A ( dat Glen sub was borse) for getting the guys as ready as they were.

Jus my opinion, thus one interpretation, not necessarily the only view

HOSS, you really think Birchall and theobald played better than Stern yday??????
Birchall and Theobald gave up the ball too easily... Birchall first touch was generally horrendous and he hardly made a good pass all game!!!
Theobald was too sluggish in attack and allowed too many Swdes to hustle him off the ball, Stern did well considering Í am yet to see any team do a job mraking so tighly as Mellberg and co., alyuh trinis rel ungrateful...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 06:32:49 PM by Arazi »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2006, 06:19:53 PM »
Yes, they did give up the ball too easy...buh tell which yuh prefer...somebody who give up the ball to easy, and wuk like rass to try and win it back...or somebody who give up the ball with ah fight..and dah's all, they ball give up...and you must hope somebody...like dah fella who give it up too easy, have to wuk like rass to get it back....and doh tell meh bout dah is not he job....cause nobody job, cyah be to score or keep it with difficulty...buh doh dig as ah say, it was only ah view....Yeah, I really think Stern played ok, Birchall and Theobald gave more effort...I am the type of coach (fan in this case), that prefers effort to attempt..dah's all

add: If yuh effort is towards helping the Team, even if is not your fault...I say yes..I for you.....If yuh effort benefits you, and the Team will benefit only if you are successful, well I wish yuh the best...buh I prefer others
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 06:24:49 PM by maxg »

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2006, 06:31:49 PM »
Yes, they did give up the ball too easy...buh tell which yuh prefer...somebody who give up the ball to easy, and wuk like rass to try and win it back...or somebody who give up the ball with ah fight..and dah's all, they ball give up...and you must hope somebody...like dah fella who give it up too easy, have to wuk like rass to get it back....and doh tell meh bout dah is not he job....cause nobody job, cyah be to score or keep it with difficulty...buh doh dig as ah say, it was only ah view....Yeah, I really think Stern played ok, Birchall and Theobald gave more effort...I am the type of coach (fan in this case), that prefers effort to attempt..dah's all

add: If yuh effort is towards helping the Team, even if is not your fault...I say yes..I for you.....If yuh effort benefits you, and the Team will benefit only if you are successful, well I wish yuh the best...buh I prefer others
or so just because they espended more energy they had a better game??? In dat case Cyd gray had a better game dan shaka hislop... ::) alright how much times did stern actuall give the ball in comparison the the 2 of dem? How many times did they give up the ball with 1 defender or more on the back at all times?? HOW MANY TIME DID THEY ACTUALLY WIN BACK THE BALL???
hoss, i admit i found stern was especially slow and didn't seem to challenge for the ball but to rate his performance worse dan Birchall or theobald yday, is ludicrous, yday proved dat someone should play upfront with stern, not bench him..

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 07:01:55 PM »
I stated what is my preference..I did not say Stern played badly....I did not base my prefernce on the amt of Energy expended, why yuh saying that...I rated Shaka Yorke and Carlos as my best...buh did I take away from Gray's performance in doing so...no....Stern performance was OK, not bad...so therefore good....but I wouldn't Compare Stern play with Anybody else but Glen and Samuel...Stern have 3 men on him and could do so well nbetter than Theo and Birchall...so (I could pull stuff too)...how come he not playing midfield then....and if yuh say well we need him to score, then how come he didn't score then ?...Now i jus being ridiculous....I wouldn't say nobody but Glen and tho I didn't mention it, Samuel, to some extent, played more the game I liked than what has become Stern's style cause they played closest to that position, buht at the same time I won't try to say, Sancho play better than Theo, even tho I rate him higher....cause Sancho played his position, and Theo his...

Let me show yuh something...I will guess at figures...not knockin
1. Stern recieved aprox 2/3 balls that he was able to win control, and 1 pass was good...no passes in decent position to take shot..
he had a ball where he was like showin Glen to "Run line nah" and the pass wasn't so hot...wha Glen do ? Did he jus pull up and doh bother ? did he look up in the air and shake he head ? did he stand up and point where the pass shoulda go  ?...no none of the above...
He run it down, even doh it was fair to say he was covered, if he defender did fall, he still might not of get it,,,yet he went..

The other way.. Glen have the bal....3 men between he and Stern, 3 men between he and the goal, (2 of the same 2 between he and stern).
Glen start run towards the middle, pass 1 between he and Stern, and when Glen a bit past the 2nd 1 between he and Stern, note whey Stern run ? go back and see it... Stern not only run away, from Glen and behind the men (probably doing his sneak in to score trick), effectively putting 3 men between him and Glen, but his run also put more pressure on Glen not giving him amd option to pass, but crowding the way of the run further...he lorse big marks dey for me....if he didn't for you, well you saw it differently, or it was no big thing for you...buh because I played Centre forward at an above average level in my time, I would notice these things... Yes, I used to score plenty goals, against fair defenses...No, I wasn't close to as good as Stern...so I expect more from him..

Offline Latent

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 07:25:02 PM »
Oh boy, one day gone after the game and the old Stern John debate start again ::) ::)

We could have left it alone till after the England game. Anyway, since we are debating it, might as well give my opinion.

Ok I believe the man should be left alone and play for the 90mins. He is a striker, once you keep on the field, he would ignite at some point. Just look at what happened during the Guatemala match when he scored two goals in five minutes.

Anyway, during the Sweden game, Beenhakker was playing a 4-5-1 formation. Stern John was alone up front and from my part, he played his role in the game. He was there as a distraction and may have prevented more Swedes from coming forward because they were concerned that on a counter  attack, if he got the right pass, he would have posed a threat to them. This is why there were always two markers on him at all times.

To add to this, he helped Cornell Glenn to get a shot at goal which ended up hitting the bar. His perfect pass nearly made the Swedes pay.

Thus, I believe Stern his doing his job on the field and should be left alone. Perhaps he needs a little assistance by having another striker who is able to run at the defense such as Kenwyn Jones.

All this is my opinion anyway.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2006, 08:02:22 PM »
no matter what criteria or measure u using, absolutely no way u could rate birchall above stern in tha game yesterday. I ain't know what more men want from stern yesterday being a man down.

bring on england can't wait to see what leo have up his sleeve. 

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2006, 08:13:18 PM »
so Latent, leh we jus leave everybody alone, let dem play for 90 mins and let the chips fall where they may...btw, who yuh not leaving alone to get KJ in there ? :D
no matter what criteria or measure u using, absolutely no way u could rate birchall above stern in tha game yesterday. I ain't know what more men want from stern yesterday being a man down.

bring on england can't wait to see what leo have up his sleeve.

Ok cause of your 'explained' criteria, ah changing Stern to a B+....everything good now...Bring England with they supposedly better defense and middle than Sweden...Stern go get ah A, just for being able to touch the ball...ah even if he lorse every ball except dah one, if he score....he will rate playing better than everybody in the World Cup outright....ent ? cause nobody else cyar do better....Goodluck everybody...well exceot Wanchope 2 outta 2, was he playing up front alone ? hmnnn

Offline Marky NYC

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2006, 09:14:29 PM »
So here is my take on this, Stern real good at taking down the long ball up front and shielding it until he get support, however I really do wish we had someone else that could have done that.

I went to school in El-Dorado with Stern and that man does always play better coming off the bench, they use to call him the super sub, but I don't think we have that kind of time to experiment now.

So there is a thin line here, I say leave it to Don-Leo he bring we here let him do he thing and carry we, I am sure he has a game plan for England.

1]; } ?>