May 01, 2024, 01:31:00 PM

Author Topic: Keller remains key element of US journey to Germany  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keller remains key element of US journey to Germany
« on: June 06, 2005, 01:53:15 PM »
FIFAworldcup.com

The United States have shown they have the firepower to reach a fifth straight FIFA World Cup™ finals, but it is the last line of defence that continues to underscore the Americans' presence on the world stage.

Goalkeeper Kasey Keller produced a series of stunning second-half saves in the US' 3-0 defeat of Costa Rica in a CONCACAF qualifier on Saturday in a performance that elicited praise from team-mates convinced Keller is doing more than just saving goals.

"We're fortunate to have probably one of the top three goalies in the world, maybe the top," said US midfielder Landon Donovan.

Two minutes after the break, with the hosts 1-0 up, Keller deflected Jafet Soto's volley. After 55 minutes he parried a vicious drive by Carlos Hernandez as the home defence was caught in disarray.

Keller then performed heroics with a 60th-minute fingertip save from a Soto header by his left-hand post. "I don't know what we were doing," a bemused Donovan said afterwards.

"We were sleeping in the second half, and Kasey makes two, three, maybe four incredible saves. Costa Rica hit it and you think it's in. Being a forward, I think it's in. He was phenomenal - he kept us in the game."

Fantastic reactions
US coach Bruce Arena also praised Keller's performance. "I think his play in the early part of the second half was the difference in the match," he said. "His reactions on the line are fantastic.

"He's still every bit as quick as he was five years ago and I'm just happy that he has the opportunity to be our number one keeper. I know his aspirations are to play in a World Cup again, so, hopefully, we can make that happen."

Keller, 35, is in the mddle of a two-year contract at Borussia Moenchengladbach, joining the Bundesliga side after losing his place at Tottenham Hotspur to England goalkeeper Paul Robinson.

His 15-year career also includes spells at Millwall and Leicester City in England and Rayo Vallecano in Spain, and if his recent performances are anything to go by, he is following a long line of goalkeepers who improve as they age.

After four games in the final CONCACAF group, leaders Mexico have 10 points with the US on nine, followed by Guatemala, Costa Rica and Trinidad and Tobago all on four.

The US are away to strugglers Panama, who are bottom with two points, on Wednesday. The top three qualify directly for next year's finals.

Keller is now the US' No1 keeper following the international retirement of Brad Friedel last February and he has played in 80 internationals and kept clean sheets in 39 of them.

Two of those 80 matches were at France 98 against Germany (0-2) and Iran (1-2), but he had to watch from the sidelines as Friedel played in all five matches when the Americans reached the quarter-finals in 2002.

Now he is looking forward to another FIFA World Cup and believes the United States are heading in the right direction.

"Our game plan, at the very least, was to try to get four points out of these two games and if we do that we will put ourselves in a good situation.

"We're obviously going down to Panama to try to get three more points, but we'll take one if it comes down to that. But all that concerns me is making saves, I'm not bothered which ones end up on some highlight reel."

Donovan scored twice in the American's victory on Saturday and Brian McBride once. Costa Rica finished with 10 men after Douglas Sequeira was sent off in the last minute.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Keller remains key element of US journey to Germany
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 02:16:36 PM »
Imps take note.  Keller get bench for de entire world cup finals (not just one qualifier) last time and still remains committed.    >:(

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 03:56:59 PM »
I have so much respect for Keller as a keeper it eh funny. De man is good, and I feel he is underrated. Personally, I feel he is the best in the world, I doh care what anybody else say.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline whayuhsay

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 07:17:37 PM »
I agree with yuh socafan, as a former keeper myself, Keller is amazing!

I have so much respect for Keller as a keeper it eh funny. De man is good, and I feel he is underrated. Personally, I feel he is the best in the world, I doh care what anybody else say.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 08:34:09 PM »
Maximum Respect to Keller.  I doh like de man but he GOOD. >:(  When the US played us at home on Ash Wednesday, he made the save of the game against Tiger in the second half, which would have made it 1-1.  As for those saves against Costa Rica on Saturday, some were out of this world, especially the save of the volley from Soto. 

On August 17 when we come up against the US, a lil break finger or sore back and Arena putting him on the bench would be just what de doctor ordered. ;D ;D
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 09:22:16 PM »

As for those saves against Costa Rica on Saturday, some were out of this world, especially the save of the volley from Soto. 

The save off the header was incredible.

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 10:47:04 PM »
Imps take note. Keller get bench for de entire world cup finals (not just one qualifier) last time and still remains committed. >:(

Interestingly enough, Brad Friedel, weary of his constant no. 2 status, quit the national team a few months ago.

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 06:07:14 PM »
Maximum Respect to Keller.  I doh like de man but he GOOD. >:(  When the US played us at home on Ash Wednesday, he made the save of the game against Tiger in the second half, which would have made it 1-1.  As for those saves against Costa Rica on Saturday, some were out of this world, especially the save of the volley from Soto. 

On August 17 when we come up against the US, a lil break finger or sore back and Arena putting him on the bench would be just what de doctor ordered. ;D ;D

I agree with you. It hurts to admit it but he is really good. The blight of the T&T team. Why can't they bench him when they play Trinidad.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 06:12:03 PM by nobody_s angel »

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 11:58:57 PM »

I agree.  He is a real pain in de ass and yuh hadda come with something extra special to beat him.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 05:17:32 AM »
After our performance last night, being a football peong I stayed up to watch the first half of the US vs Panama game and if any one doubts how important Keller is to the US chances look at the highlights of this game.  Keller made three crucial big time saves at critical point in the game (The US were leading 2-0 at the time).  Massive saves, one at point blank.  Yuh have to see it too believe it.  The final scoreline of the first half does not give any indication of how Panama played.

Keller Wicked!!!!!
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 06:20:33 AM »
Yeah Keller is ah boss, he is the man staning between us and 3 points in August.

1]; } ?>