April 29, 2024, 04:40:38 AM

Poll

Will Erikkson feel compelled to play Rooney after what we did to Sweden with 10 men?

Yes
16 (66.7%)
No
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: June 18, 2006, 04:31:57 PM

Author Topic: Erikkson: Decision Time...  (Read 3200 times)

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Erikkson: Decision Time...
« on: June 11, 2006, 04:31:57 PM »
I remembered commenting about the T&T vs. Wales game that Don Leo Beenhakker was playing a decoy.  Some people disagreed, but apparently that was exactly what he did for all of the warm up games... that we lost... just ask Sweden ;) 
But now that England knows what they're likely to be facing, (including the fact that a win is no longer guaranteed by simply showing up for the match as some BBC comentators agreed after the Wales game), I think that Erikkson will risk it all not to get soundly embarrassed in this game, and hence play Rooney - bad leg or not.

Agree or disagree? (Give your reason too.)

Will it make any difference at this point?
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline UK_Soca_warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Erikkson: Decision Time...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 06:01:46 PM »
I dont think Sven will look at the Trinidad game and say "we must play Rooney to ensure victory". England, (dispite how we played against the Swedes), still believe they will beat us 3 or 4 nil. Without Rooney. They dont have any fear of us, or respect us that much. So he will play his strongest side to get 3 points to get into round 2.

As for us, we need to take that on board. We played like warriors against the Swedes, now we must repeat the same against England. But this time, put more punch in our attack. We dont have to win the game, but just embarrass England. Make them work, make them sweat, make Gerrard and Lampard look like they running out of ideas. The longer we hold them, the better. Make them know they are in a game. Put plenty hard tackles, and show no respect or mercy.  Cus that is what they will be doing to us.

Remember, the majority of neutrals want Trinidad to upset England. Only England fans and some neutrals want an England win.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 06:06:34 PM by UK_Soca_warrior »

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 06:13:14 PM »
Yes I feel he will play him but I also feel it will be a mistake. Erikkson will still think of us as sure points and want to give Rooney a sweat to biuld him up for later in the tournament. Problem is that this ent go be no easy game for them....

Hopefully he will find that out the hard way.

BLADE

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 06:15:39 PM »
Yes I feel he will play him but I also feel it will be a mistake. Erikkson will still think of us as sure points and want to give Rooney a sweat to biuld him up for later in the tournament. Problem is that this ent go be no easy game for them....

BLADE

Cyd preparing for him.  :rotfl:

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 06:16:15 PM »
check this man article nah:

Go on, Trinidad, give Rooney a good kicking
By Tony Cascarino
The Times (UK)

MY MESSAGE TO Trinidad & Tobago’s players: if Wayne Rooney comes on, get stuck in. Tackle him hard, test him out, leave him face down on the floor. Please — it’s just what England need.
Think of the morale boost if Rooney is scythed by a psycho-tackle from behind then writhes around clutching his injured foot — only to get back up again a few seconds later and resume normal service. His team-mates will look at each other with relief and think: “The kid’s fine.” Twenty minutes of Rooney in an easy win over Trinidad that helps England into the next round, then the full 90 in a match against Sweden that has no more importance than a friendly. Perfect, eh?

I damaged my ankle ligaments as a 19-year-old playing for Gillingham in the third division. A buzz was starting to develop that I might be capable of playing at a higher level, so opposition players knew who I was. I was just back from injury and we played Lincoln City. A veteran Lincoln centre back came up and asked how my ankle was. “Yeah, it’s all right,” I said. “You’re going to find out how ‘all right’ it really is today,” he said with a sneer and duly launched into a few choice tackles from behind during the game.

It’s not cheating, it’s a part of football. If you think your opponent has a weakness, exploit it. You’d be stupid not to. If I was Leo Beenhakker, the Trinidad & Tobago coach, I’d tell my players to get stuck in to Rooney, to test him out as soon as he’s on the pitch. Unsettle him, see how frail that metatarsal still might be. Tell your defenders: “Go straight through him on the first challenge and see if his foot holds up.”

Rooney will know all this and, given the kind of player he is, he’ll probably be thinking: “Bring it on.” He wouldn’t ask for special treatment. Test after test after test — that’s what football is. So you might as well enjoy it. After all, even a fully fit player is only one tackle away from a devastating injury. Handling the sly tactics of inferior opponents is part of being a great player. Loads of people went after Diego Maradona and he relished it. He seemed to see himself as a matador, inviting on the dumb animals, teasing them, putting himself in danger and trusting in his genius to evade harm.

Even in the Barclays Premiership, Rooney is hunted by opponents, such is his talent and reputation. Multiply that by a factor of ten against Trinidad because many of their players are from the English lower leagues and you only have to look at the FA Cup to see how much lower-league footballers love to rough up rich superstars.

It’s potentially a tough environment to bring Rooney into, but there’s no point wrapping him in cotton wool. Whether England fans will want to watch from behind the sofa when Rooney is on the ball will depend on how the match unfolds. If England are struggling and need Rooney to rescue them, expect the tackles to be stiffer than if they are cruising to victory.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline UK_Soca_warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 06:18:13 PM »

Totally agree. Lets go out there and buss dey tail!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 06:22:10 PM by UK_Soca_warrior »

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 06:25:01 PM »
check this man article nah:

Go on, Trinidad, give Rooney a good kicking
By Tony Cascarino
The Times (UK)

MY MESSAGE TO Trinidad & Tobago’s players: if Wayne Rooney comes on, get stuck in. Tackle him hard, test him out, leave him face down on the floor. Please — it’s just what England need.
Think of the morale boost if Rooney is scythed by a psycho-tackle from behind then writhes around clutching his injured foot — only to get back up again a few seconds later and resume normal service. His team-mates will look at each other with relief and think: “The kid’s fine.” Twenty minutes of Rooney in an easy win over Trinidad that helps England into the next round, then the full 90 in a match against Sweden that has no more importance than a friendly. Perfect, eh?

I damaged my ankle ligaments as a 19-year-old playing for Gillingham in the third division. A buzz was starting to develop that I might be capable of playing at a higher level, so opposition players knew who I was. I was just back from injury and we played Lincoln City. A veteran Lincoln centre back came up and asked how my ankle was. “Yeah, it’s all right,” I said. “You’re going to find out how ‘all right’ it really is today,” he said with a sneer and duly launched into a few choice tackles from behind during the game.

It’s not cheating, it’s a part of football. If you think your opponent has a weakness, exploit it. You’d be stupid not to. If I was Leo Beenhakker, the Trinidad & Tobago coach, I’d tell my players to get stuck in to Rooney, to test him out as soon as he’s on the pitch. Unsettle him, see how frail that metatarsal still might be. Tell your defenders: “Go straight through him on the first challenge and see if his foot holds up.”

Rooney will know all this and, given the kind of player he is, he’ll probably be thinking: “Bring it on.” He wouldn’t ask for special treatment. Test after test after test — that’s what football is. So you might as well enjoy it. After all, even a fully fit player is only one tackle away from a devastating injury. Handling the sly tactics of inferior opponents is part of being a great player. Loads of people went after Diego Maradona and he relished it. He seemed to see himself as a matador, inviting on the dumb animals, teasing them, putting himself in danger and trusting in his genius to evade harm.

Even in the Barclays Premiership, Rooney is hunted by opponents, such is his talent and reputation. Multiply that by a factor of ten against Trinidad because many of their players are from the English lower leagues and you only have to look at the FA Cup to see how much lower-league footballers love to rough up rich superstars.

It’s potentially a tough environment to bring Rooney into, but there’s no point wrapping him in cotton wool. Whether England fans will want to watch from behind the sofa when Rooney is on the ball will depend on how the match unfolds. If England are struggling and need Rooney to rescue them, expect the tackles to be stiffer than if they are cruising to victory.

This writer, Tony Cascarino, did not watch the/hear about Sweden game, and hence doesn't know a thing about football. 

T&T Game plan:
Deny Rooney any ball possession - game over.
Plan B:
If Rooney gets possession - blade him hard.
and finally
"Stern John" the goalkeeper repeatedly... or "ee oo aa check the danger oh Latapy in the area" the goalkeeper repeatedly... or "Glenn" the goalkeeper... or "AnnaYorke" the goal keeper...hell - "Me mum" the goalkeeper...

Either way the final Result:

T&T Win England Lose.

I am a Soca Warrior.[/size]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 06:28:55 PM by 1989 »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 06:57:25 PM »

This writer, Tony Cascarino, did not watch the/hear about Sweden game, and hence doesn't know a thing about football. 

Do you know who Tony Cascarino is ? If not, look him up.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 07:37:55 PM »

Mr. Cascarino watched T&T play and still writing stupidness.  I don't care how many Primiership clubs he played for, his years of experience should give him enough sense to know that T&T who held Sweden with only 10 men - a team that England struggle with - would be no push over for England.

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 07:40:14 PM »
ppl dont learn... leave them to... bahrain thought t&t would have been a pushover... look what happen... sweden thought t&t would have been a pushover... look what happen... england (and most of the world) still think t&t will be a pushover... guess what go happen there

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 08:17:58 PM »

Mr. Cascarino watched T&T play and still writing stupidness.  I don't care how many Primiership clubs he played for, his years of experience should give him enough sense to know that T&T who held Sweden with only 10 men - a team that England struggle with - would be no push over for England.

I'm not saying to agree with what he wrote...I was just wondering if you knew who he was when you said "he knows nothing about football".........but I see you looked him up.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 08:54:23 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 08:52:26 PM »
I think he will get a run....most likely as a substitute. Sven might bring him on to just get a lil corbeau sweat cuz he feel by then they should have a decent lead. Howver.....this plays in a sense perfectly to plan. Crouch and Owen are virtually innefective when deprived of supply from their midfield. If we strangle their midfield, as well as their absence of a proven ball winner, that will indeed up the pressure on england. However......rooney drops back and helps the midfield when times get lean......and we know he tackles like a defender. However.....i feel sven go give him a run like bout the 75 minute.....if they under pressure or not....cus he will most likely be needed for the sweden game....so give him as much of a sweat as possible. I doh believe he go start him but it remains to be seen.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 09:42:40 PM »

if he need to score goals he will put him on. and they way england playing the need a goal scorer

Offline marcel

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 07:23:26 AM »

i dont know....
but the rest of the world is not very interested in england
just a good team,like 10 other european teams.
nothing THAT special

what the world really likes is a good performance from t&t.

i hope everybody from t&t knows what kind of impact the draw against sweden made in europe.
it was great!
the mouths are shut again.
beenhakker told us:no making up the numbers!
and it was no blabla

england 1
t&t       2

and enterrrrrr the second round

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 07:39:44 AM »
two points I'd like to make.

I would be very surprised if we see Ronney at all on Thursday, unless England are losing and then I would only expect to see him for 15-20 minutes. It is not a make or break game for England, becasue if we lose we will still qualify if we beat Sweden.

point two.

there are a lot of guys accusing the English team of being over confident and expecting to just turn up and win. I hope this is not the case and I am sure they will be well prepared becasue they are professionals. I am reading on here how after the ten man warriors held Sweden, they are unbeatable and will beat England. If they go into the game with that attitude they will get their asses kicked, but I am sure Leo has got them well prepared, because again, they are pros.

It's very easy for us all to get carried away isn't it.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 07:55:37 AM »
I feel Sven will run Rooney too! He is arogant enough to do it. Alex Ferguson is already pissed that he is even considering it, but the English public are giving him pressure and he'll throw caution to the wind.

This is going to be a very hard game but DON LEO is the man!! His brain is working overtime to counter and neutralise the England threat.

Offline marcel

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 08:20:21 AM »

true pompey true

1]; } ?>