April 16, 2024, 12:12:27 AM

Author Topic: Theobald keeps cool for England.  (Read 1522 times)

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Theobald keeps cool for England.
« on: June 11, 2006, 09:52:34 PM »
Sunday, 11 June 2006, 13:14 GMT 14:14 UK
BBC SPORT / WORLD CUP 2006
Theobald keeps cool for England
http://www.myfootballnews.co.uk/news_jump.html?story=668746

Falkirk midfielder Densill Theobald is not letting unexpected success go to his head after helping Trinidad & Tobago to a fine World Cup start.

Theobald, who failed to break into the Bairns side this season, played for 66 minutes of the 0-0 draw with Sweden.

"We're keeping our cool heads," he said. "We know our next game is our most important game, which is England.

"We will go out there and show the same hard work, the same determination and the same fighting spirit."

But the Soca Warriors face selection problems if they want to build on a surprise draw in their first-ever appearance at the World Cup finals.

Rangers defender Marvin Andrews has tweaked the knee on which he a year ago refused surgery after picking up a cruciate ligament injury.

"It is without doubt the lowest point in my football career"
Trinidad & Tobago goalkeeper Kelvin Jack

He missed the game against Sweden and is a doubt for Thursday's meeting with England.

Coach Leo Beenhakker will also now have to do without New England Revolution left-back Avery John after his sending off against the Swedes.

"It will be difficult to make up for Marvin and Avery," added Theobald.

"We were able to deal with missing Marvin against Sweden. Hopefully, we will be able to deal with missing Avery too."

Former Dundee defender Brent Sancho, now with Gillingham, started in place of Andrews on Saturday.

And Atiba Charles or Evans Wise will most likely replace John in the starting line-up on Thursday.

Kelvin Jack will struggle to win back his starting place in goal after picking up an injury in the warm-up against Sweden.

Jack, out of contract with Dundee, was forced to watch from the bench as veteran Shaka Hislop made a string of crucial saves.

And he admitted: "I was in tears in the dressing-room before the game.

"It is without doubt the lowest point in my football career and all the boys were trying to pick me up.

"That shows the type of spirit there is within the squad, but the result more than any words helped dry away any tears.

"I got a calf injury on Tuesday and tried to shrug it off, but it was tight during the warm-up when I was doing my kicking.

"I didn't want to make it any worse or jeopardise things for the team.

"I hope this is just the beginning of our adventure and there will be more games to come and chances for me to play."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, 10 June 2006, 18:44 GMT 19:44 UK
Samuel & Theobald star in Germany
http://www.myfootballnews.co.uk/news_jump.html?story=668746

Densill Theobald (left) in action against Sweden Two players from Scottish clubs helped Trinidad & Tobago record a surprise 0-0 draw with Sweden in their opening tie at the World Cup finals in Germany.

Dundee United forward Collin Samuel started the game along with midfielder Densill Theobald, who did not make one appearance for Falkirk this season.

Rangers' Marvin Andrews dropped to the bench after picking up an injury.

Goalkeeper Kelvin Jack, out of contract with Dundee, was injured in the warm-up and was replaced with Shaka Hislop.

Veteran Falkirk midfielder Russell Latapy and St Johnstone striker Jason Scotland were also on the bench.

Both Theobald and Samuel were substituted during the second half of their country's first-ever appearance at a World Cup finals.

Former Celtic striker Henrik Larsson started up front for the Swedes
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 09:54:54 PM by rippin »
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Theobald keeps cool for England.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 11:10:44 PM »

well done theobald and samuel both had a great game..  :beermug:

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Theobald keeps cool for England.