April 26, 2024, 10:53:46 PM

Author Topic: Drop Browne, Select Ramdin  (Read 2331 times)

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Drop Browne, Select Ramdin
« on: June 06, 2005, 09:41:03 PM »
The Trinidad Guardian
BY VINODE MAMCHAN

Disgruntled local cricket pundits are calling on the West Indies selectors to replace wicket-keeper Courtney Browne and include either Dinesh Ramdin or Carlton Baugh for the upcoming tour of Sri Lanka.

Chairman of the T&T cricket selection panel, Dudnath Ramkessoon, told G-Sports yesterday:

“We have had enough of Browne. It is time to bring in a youngster, especially with the 2007 World Cup in mind.

“We need to start the grooming process as far as the wicketkeeping is concerned and Browne is really not playing up to mark.

“He has historically made crucial errors and continues not to contribute with the bat.”

“I think that the West Indies selectors should go for Ramdin for the upcoming series in Sri Lanka, because he is a very intelligent cricketer,and is really committed to cricket.”

Former Test pacer Anthony Gray believes that Browne should be taken to Sri Lanka if they are taking two wicket-keepers, but Ramdin must play in the Tests.

“I am not one of those who think that Browne is the best wicket-keeper in the Caribbean. I think the selectors should think of horses for courses and seeing that we would be up against a lot of spinners in Sri Lanka, Dinesh Ramdin should be taken across there.

“Ramdin is also a better wicket-keeper and can bat well against spinners, who he has been facing all his cricketing life in Trinidad.

“I am of the opinion though, that they must take along Browne if they are taking two wicket-keepers. They cannot really take two inexperienced wicketkeepers along—so Carlton Baugh would have to miss out.”

Former manager of the T&T team, Omar Khan, believes that the time has come for the selectors to think over the matter of Browne, because it is hurting the team too much.

“We have to face reality and look at what Browne has cost us. The man has dropped vital catches in the past and continues to do that.

“He has dropped players of the calibre of Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh, Sachin Tendulkar, Jacques Kallis and Inzamam Ul-Haq.”

His latest error cost the West Indies 117 runs—as he dropped Pakistan skipper Inzamam when he had not scored and the burly right hander went on to record an unbeaten 117.

Khan said the only reason he thinks that Browne was included against Pakistan was because he was probably made vice-captain for the entire home season.

“I just cannot understand the selection, as Browne continues to put the team under pressure.”

Khan said something has to be wrong with the selection process, as pacer Ian Bradshaw was not selected in preference to Reon King.

“The left hander should have been included for variety. It makes no sense playing all these fast bowlers of the same type.”

Patrick Rampersad, executive member of the T&T Cricket Board, said that the West Indies selectors missed the boat when they failed to play both young wicket -keepers in the twin series at home with South Africa and Pakistan.

“The selectors missed the boat really and now they will have to take at least Ramdin to Sri Lanka to play in that series.

“It is always easier to bring in these young players at home.”

1]; } ?>