March 29, 2024, 09:41:31 AM

Author Topic: President Richards dines with the “Soca Warriors”  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
President Richards dines with the “Soca Warriors”
« on: June 13, 2006, 03:48:52 PM »
President Richards dines with the “Soca Warriors”
By Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, George Maxwell Richards says he has already cancelled his flight back to his homeland schedule for June 21 because he has full confidence in the “Soca Warriors” advancing to the second round of the 2006 World Cup.
Richards, an avid follower of the team, was speaking as he paid a courtesy visit on the team at the Landhaus Wachtelhof Hotel on Tuesday evening along with his wife Jean.
Richards was at Saturday’s 0-0 draw with Sweden in Dortmund and made the journey over to Rotenburg on Tuesday. Also at the lunch meeting was Minister of Sport Roger Boynes who arrived earlier in the day and was present at the opening training session.
“I just wanted to mention the way that you have been able to turn around the world’s media which is now paying serious attention to Trinidad and Tobago and this is because of you and to you we are eternally grateful. I want to extend my heartiest congratulations to each one of you. I found it extremely difficult to differentiate among any of the players when it came to the man of the match award,” Richards told the players.
He further added: “We go forward with everything and I had always found that Sweden would be the hardest nut to crack and now that we have done that, then we are definitely  in for the rest to come. We will go forward with or without Rooney with all the confidence and we are all behind the team.
“I have myself taken a decision to change all my travel plans, I had intended to travel back on June 20 but it seems that we will be here either for Stuttgart or Munich for the second round. The team has all the expertise, the talent and the will to progress,” Richards added to TTFF Media.
And Boynes said there was current ongoing discussions with Prime Minister Patrick Manning on how the Government will reward the “Soca Warriors” for what they have already achieved in Germany.
“What is happening here is we have taken the world by storm. The entire foreign media bombarded the players, the coach and even me today saying that this is indeed a fairy tale story. They cannot understand how we can hold Sweden which has some of the best strikers in the world. That is a victory for us,” Boynes told TTFF Media.
“This has inspired all of Trinidad and Tobago and this is what dreams are made of. The entire German population and other countries are also behind us. Our memorabilia items are among the hottest in Germany today.”
On the topic of the rewarding of the players, Boynes was quick to point out that the matter was under discussion.
“At the moment, the Prime Minister is considering a proposal I had sent to him coming out of a discussion with Dwight Yorke who had spoken to the rest of the team. He will be making a decision that will make the country proud and the team is very much mindful that the Prime Minister is considering it. They are also prepared to come back after the World Cup if called by the Prime Minister,” Boynes said. He added that there was consideration being given to the idea of honouring all the players back home.
“The players did say they were stunned when the Prime Minister called them on the bus on the way back from the game and they can tell he is excited and motivated by what they have done,” Boynes noted.
Apart from the heads, several fans continue to also issue their messages to the team, particularly those here in Germany who continue to show up in numbers in Rotenberg with home of at least getting a glimpse of the players. And none other than songster Maximus Dan has also conveyed his congrats to the team. He is in Nuremburg and will be at the game, citing that in spite of the aggression they expect from the die hard English fans, he and his band of fans will be representing to the fullest on Thursday.
“We know it’s going to be a battle on and off the pitch because win, lose or draw, we expect the English fans to be a tough bunch. That really is the only concern for us but even with that, we are prepared to go all out for our team and we want them to know that we will be in the stands screaming for them throughout the match. We want them to know what they have done to us and the country on a whole so far. I wonder if they even realize the extent to which they have caused high emotion among us and we have such a strong belief now that as a country we can progress both on and off the football field,” a pumped up Maximus Dan told TTFF Media.
The team will depart Rotenberg by bus at 9:30 am (German time) and then leave Bremen by plane on their way to the Hilton in Nuremberg with a scheduled arrival of midday. Beenhakker will then hold one final session at the match venie – Franken Stadion which has a capacity of 41,000.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 04:21:42 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline CarenageBoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: President Richards dines with the “Soca Warriors”
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 05:44:59 PM »
There was also a similar report from Reuters:
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=footballNews&storyID=2006-06-13T180855Z_01_L1319935_RTRIDST_0_SPORT-SOCCER-TRINIDAD-PRESIDENT.XML

The boys will do fine. They will fight the fight one game at a time. Go Warriors!!!

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 07:10:06 PM »
President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, George Maxwell Richards says he has already cancelled his flight back to his homeland schedule for June 21 because he has full confidence in the “Soca Warriors” advancing to the second round of the 2006 World Cup.
“I just wanted to mention the way that you have been able to turn around the world’s media which is now paying serious attention to Trinidad and Tobago and this is because of you and to you we are eternally grateful. I want to extend my heartiest congratulations to each one of you.

I found it extremely difficult to differentiate among any of the players when it came to the man of the match award,” Richards told the players

He further added: “We go forward with everything and I had always found that Sweden would be the hardest nut to crack and now that we have done that, then we are definitely  in for the rest to come. We will go forward with or without Rooney with all the confidence and we are all behind the team.

“I have myself taken a decision to change all my travel plans, I had intended to travel back on June 20 but it seems that we will be here either for Stuttgart or Munich for the second round. The team has all the expertise, the talent and the will to progress,” Richards added to TTFF Media.

“What is happening here is we have taken the world by storm. The entire foreign media bombarded the players, the coach and even me today saying that this is indeed a fairy tale story. They cannot understand how we can hold Sweden which has some of the best strikers in the world. That is a victory for us,” Boynes told TTFF Media.

“This has inspired all of Trinidad and Tobago and this is what dreams are made of. The entire German population and other countries are also behind us. Our memorabilia items are among the hottest in Germany today.”

“The players did say they were stunned when the Prime Minister called them on the bus on the way back from the game and they can tell he is excited and motivated by what they have done,” Boynes noted.

And none other than songster Maximus Dan has also conveyed his congrats to the team.
“We know it’s going to be a battle on and off the pitch because win, lose or draw, we expect the English fans to be a tough bunch. That really is the only concern for us but even with that, we are prepared to go all out for our team and we want them to know that we will be in the stands screaming for them throughout the match. We want them to know what they have done to us and the country on a whole so far. I wonder if they even realize the extent to which they have caused high emotion among us and we have such a strong belief now that as a country we can progress both on and off the football field,” a pumped up Maximus Dan told TTFF Media.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:03:49 PM »
Yes, sing again:  "I'm a soca warrior"  Thanks Maximus Dan for the best song/chant/music in the world cup.  It was a joy to hear the relatively small group of Warrior fans, belting out the "Fighter" during the match over 20,000 Swedes
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 08:33:43 PM »
I am happy he is physically supporting the team. Maybe he can pull some strings for more money to be pumped into our domestic football league and the TTFF.

Kingman
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:35:43 PM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 08:42:06 PM »
I am happy he is physically supporting the team. Maybe he can pull some strings for more money to be pumped into our domestic football league and the TTFF.

Kingman

dat  cross my mind also
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>