April 29, 2024, 06:38:18 AM

Author Topic: Rochester Rhinos Release Rougier  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rochester Rhinos Release Rougier
« on: June 07, 2005, 01:51:18 PM »
Rochester Rhinos Release Rougier
rhinosoccer.com

The Rochester Raging Rhinos announced today that the team has released forward Anthony Rougier and defender Ryan Hall.

Rougier, the 5-8, 160-pound native of Point Fortin, South Trinidad, appeared in six games with the Rhinos this season. Rougier signed with the team on April 26th. A member of the Trinidad and Tobago National Team, Rougier spent time with Nanjing YoYo FC in the Chinese First Division last season.  In his career, Rougier led Trinidad and Tobago to the 1999 Copa Caribe title and the semifinals of the 2000 Gold Cup. In his professional career, Rougier has played in England with Reading FC, Brentford, Brighton, Port Vale, and Hibernian (Scotland).

Hall, the 5-10, 180-pound defender from Great Falls, Virginia, played two seasons with the Syracuse Salty Dogs (A-League). In 25 games, Hall collected four points (1+2) with the club. Prior to his professional career, Hall put together a strong career with the Syracuse Orange, where he finished his career with 19 points (6+7).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 03:54:46 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rochester Rhinos Release Rougier
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 01:57:08 PM »
that was quick

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 02:02:41 PM »
that was quick

I really think Rougier on the decline.  He has served the national team very well in the past.  However in recent times his performances have not been at a high level.  He is almost 34, so that is expected.  Some people on the forum beleives he could still play for the national team, however I doubt that very much.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 03:34:05 PM »
Yeah,that was very quick,but I doh think it is just football reasons.And yes I do believe Rougier can definitely be part of a Trinidad SQUAD.He can still contribute......utility man....forward,midfield,defence.The only player we have who can do that !

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 03:35:15 PM »
Yeah,that was very quick,but I doh think it is just football reasons.And yes I do believe Rougier can definitely be part of a Trinidad SQUAD.He can still contribute......utility man....forward,midfield,defence.The only player we have who can do that !

Kenwayne Jones

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 03:50:14 PM »
Understand your point Jahyouth but I believe Rougier can play ALL positions left and right and ain't too sure about Kenwayne although he  could be considered a utility man in terms of forward midfield and defence can he play equally as good left back,last stopper and right back ?I've seen Rougier having to do that for Trinidad.He plays a stricker also and is one of the best crossers of the ball on either side.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 04:04:23 PM »

He can't play for us in the shape he is in right now.

If he get himself back up to a certain level then yes but that is up to him to work on with a club.

Hope he find a good situation somewhere cuz lack of playing time for these old guys is a killer.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 10:20:53 PM »
THAT WAS SUPER QUICKKKKKKK

i think i read that he playin for the rihnos earlier today on this board i sure it prob on page 2

hard luck rougier them play him as a forward?????

wasnt he first stopper against usa ?????

any1 knows the difference between utility and stupidity by now he should hav chosen a spot and worked on it
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 05:51:14 AM »
Roug. at 34 is on the decline. Forward is no longer a role for him, but perhaps def. mdfld or just plain defender.

He has served us EXTREMELY well and I wish him well.

I hope the TTFF have a farwell game for this man yes.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rougier get release because of payroll issues
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 08:52:57 AM »
Rhinos release Rougier, Hall
Jeff DiVeronica (Rochester Democrat and Chronicle)

In their continuing yet slow effort to trim their player payroll, the Rochester Rhinos cut two more players Tuesday, releasing Anthony Rougier and defender Ryan Hall.

Hall, 24, a defender who played for new coach Laurie Calloway the past two seasons in Syracuse, joined the team late, arriving only two weeks ago because he was finishing the indoor season with Cleveland. His departure wasn't surprising, but Rougier's was.

The former Trinidad and Tobago national teamer started six of eight matches, starting at forward and then shifting to central defense for the last match to fill in for injured Scott Schweitzer. But Rougier, who turns 34 next month, was hurt by his age and status as a foreign player.

USL First Division soccer teams can use only five foreign players in a match, and the Rhinos had eight. Midfielder Pato Aguilera (Bolivia) hopes to secure a green card, which would mean he doesn't count as a foreigner, by the end of this month, meaning Rochester could be down to six.

"With back-to-back games and injuries, six is manageable," Rhinos general manager Chris Economides said.

The other foreigners are Rene Rivas and Mauro Carabajal (both Argentina), Rey Angel Martinez (Cuba), Jonny Steele (Northern Ireland), Jonathan Bolanos (Costa Rica) and Lenin Steenkamp (South Africa).

The team is reluctant to part with young midfielders Martinez (age 23) and Steele (19), who could be key players for years, and Bolanos and Carabajal clicked together at forward in Friday's 3-1 win over Portland. Rivas also arrived late from indoor, but the Rhinos (3-4-1) are 2-0-1 since the veteran defensive midfielder became a starter.

"He's the conductor of the orchestra with the Latin boys, and they're playing good music right now," Calloway said.

That left Steenkamp, who hasn't played in the past three matches, and Rougier. The organization seems to be showing loyalty to Steenkamp, 35, the only player in team history to have suited up in each of its 10 seasons. Steenkamp started the first three matches this year, then came off the bench the next two. He hasn't played in the past three.

"I thought Rougier helped us big-time in both Montreal matches. It was a difficult decision," Calloway said. "It's a voice we won't have back there."

With Schweitzer out because of a calf injury and veteran Craig Demmin still out after off-season knee surgery, Calloway needs another central defender for Friday's home match with Toronto (0-7-4). He can choose between Jason Perry and Tenywa Bonseu while leaving veteran Bill Sedgewick and youngsters Scott Palguta and Frankie Sanfilippo on the outside.

Rochester's roster is down to 23 players with the addition of forward Greg Howes, whose deal is expected to be done soon. Economides couldn't rule out more roster reductions but said "for right now I just want these (players) to have some peace of mind.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>