April 19, 2024, 10:00:21 PM

Author Topic: Indian Players in T&T  (Read 38558 times)

Offline lizzard1910

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Indian Players in T&T
« on: June 12, 2006, 11:30:20 PM »
As far as I remember from my visits to T&T, you have a huge Indian poulation (About 40%??), and yesterday at the FIFA-party in Hanover I ran into a group of eight fans from TT that fit into that (Half African and half Indian heritage). But there are no Indian players in the national team. Have their ever been any?? Do they play football at all? What's the story?
I'm just interested ...
Thanks for your inputs.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: Indian Players in T&T
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 12:38:12 AM »
Yuh never heard bout Dwarika ;D de man had fitness problems but i de days when he was fit he was de man. Infact from reports I heard he playing kinna good again
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:58:12 AM »
Yuh never heard bout Dwarika ;D de man had fitness problems but i de days when he was fit he was de man. Infact from reports I heard he playing kinna good again

In recent time Dwarika is the closest to an Indian on the team, but he was mixed.
Despite the absence of this ethnic section on the team, should not be takes as a indicator that indians don't play ball what you have in Germany is 23 Trinibagoians, the best 23 that represents all sections of the population.  The interest in the beautiful game permeates throughout the country and everyone plays it at the rural level.

Unfortunatley I am unable, to give you quantifiable answer, if you vist here you can see a llist of some of our  past players such as Boobly Sookram , his name is an indian surname , if he was mixed I can't say.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 06:11:38 AM by trinindian »

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 02:48:53 AM »
yeh bobby sookram is the only name dat comes to mind really

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 02:57:16 AM »

"Fitness problems"?

That is a euphemism if I ever hear one.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 04:03:55 AM »
the indians more prefer to play cricket

Offline lizzard1910

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 05:52:05 AM »

That's what I thought - but don't try to eyplain cricket to a German...
I know it will sound blasphemic to you: But for us it's about the same as baseball  ???
Somebody throws a ball and somebody els tries to hit it with a stick ::)
I know that cricket games can last for some days, that's it...
I serious: Neither a single cricket nor a baseball match have ever been televised on German TV - I swear  :-[ but I don't miss it yet  ;D

Offline SweetParkie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 06:24:55 AM »

That's what I thought - but don't try to eyplain cricket to a German...
I know it will sound blasphemic to you: But for us it's about the same as baseball  ???
Somebody throws a ball and somebody els tries to hit it with a stick ::)
I know that cricket games can last for some days, that's it...
I serious: Neither a single cricket nor a baseball match have ever been televised on German TV - I swear  :-[ but I don't miss it yet  ;D

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
you have to really grow up with it to love it! I am a west indian and I dont like test matches (the several days of cricket) I only prefer to watch 1 day matches.
Its a lovely sport doh. Watch it sometime....a 1day preferably
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy!

Trinidadians unite and respect each other!!!

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 06:26:38 AM »
Indians never got the chance in football before so they lose interest, now they get a little more respect, hopefully we will see a few in 2010 (Javed Mohammed) remember that name. They will have to now step it up.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 06:43:34 AM »
the Indians more prefer to play cricket

all yuh men real good in truth

come now do you know this for a fact?
I grew up in chaguanas and I do not like cricket.
Growing up every afternoon we kicked  ball on some level, cricket was only played occasionally.

Indians never got the chance in football before so they lose interest, now they get a little more respect, hopefully we will see a few in 2010 (Javed Mohammed) remember that name. They will have to now step it up.

Lizard, i agree with sando, there is a mind set that some of us are  more inclined  to play some sports. A mentality that is only compounded by the fact they have been no truly great  players of Indian origin. It take a little while to break out of the mold that has been prescribed to us.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 06:57:16 AM by trinindian »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 06:49:08 AM »
Alright...Lewwe not bring this Indian race thing into football.

But I want to share some points here and den alyuh could cuss meh.

I would not say indian sportsmen play cricket generally and football second.

What I would say is that they take education a little more seriously than their other counterparts and hence when exam time comes around they do not sacrifice schoolwork for sports.
Also many families stress education, working in the family business etc. Instead of sports.
Only if they are super talented are they pushed and supported in this regard.

Now alyuh doe get vex...but is mainly Indian people does bawl why no indian on the national team.

Let me tell you why....They are simply not good enough! and there are very few of them who are competent.

To back up my above statement and lets see how many of you if atall can refute or answer these simple questions.

What Indian baller Lighting up Colleges League and is head and shoulders above his peers of other races?

What Indian baller has gotten a scholorship to a University abroad and is on some sort of All star side and performing creditably?

What Indian baller is Lighting up PFL, on the starting 11, is top scorer, big defender or midfield maestro?

What Indian baller playing in the MLS, English premier league or any other league as a matter of fact.

In fact look at any other race and answer the above questions....that is the basis for selection...not race.

I could be crude and crass and say they too thin and dey shitty but until A big Indian baller is performing day in day out and gets left out of the team then alyuh have a case. Until then NOBODY HAVE A CASE FOR A INDIAN MAKING THE NATIONAL TEAM.

Rahim and Dwarika made it on merit...not race...try and remember that nah.

There is no conspiracy....We have no WC quality Indian ballers in TT and that is FACT!.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 07:02:17 AM »
What Indian baller Lighting up Colleges League and is head and shoulders above his peers of other races?

Kahlil Mathura, I am sure they had more in the pass..

What Indian baller has gotten a scholorship to a University abroad and is on some sort of All star side and performing creditably?

Vijay Samaroo, Kahlil Mathura.

What Indian baller is Lighting up PFL, on the starting 11, is top scorer, big defender or midfield maestro?

Javed Mohammed (United Petrotrin), Anton Ramnarine, Vijay Samaroo (Starworld), Kendell Jagdeosingh (half indian), Randy Ramcharan (Caledonia).

What Indian baller playing in the MLS, English premier league or any other league as a matter of fact.

None because they do not play football after college.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 07:09:45 AM by Flex »

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 07:04:02 AM »

What I would say is that they take education a little more seriously than their other counterparts and hence when exam time comes around they do not sacrifice schoolwork for sports.
Also many families stress education, working in the family business etc. Instead of sports.

Now alyuh doe get vex...but is mainly Indian people does bawl why no indian on the national team.

Let me tell you why....They are simply not good enough! and there are very few of them who are competent.

To back up my above statement and lets see how many of you if atall can refute or answer these simple questions.

In fact look at any other race and answer the above questions....that is the basis for selection...not race.

I could be crude and crass and say they too thin and dey shitty but until A big Indian baller is performing day in day out and gets left out of the team then alyuh have a case. Until then NOBODY HAVE A CASE FOR A INDIAN MAKING THE NATIONAL TEAM.

There is no conspiracy....We have no WC quality Indian ballers in TT and that is FACT!.

Touches Indians cya find a f**kin Job in Trinidad jes because we is indian yu think sey Indian wah play football.. Is rum and cricket for we . Yu sound jes like ViV Richards dey wid dat last stetement of yours though ..  I remember when richards mek a statement like dat in Guyana and dem curry mouth indian stone he ass. But gwan talk yu talk,  you could be correct there but I jes cant second dat statement because I am Indian ,anyway   mi still support mi warriors , black, white ,yellow,  purple it nuh matter to war.. Mi A Trini first and foremost.... talk done mi gone..

warmonga..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 07:04:29 AM »

You contradicting yuhself doctor

First yuh say the culture dictates education over sports....then yuh say dey simply not good enough?

Perhaps is de  case of supremely talented men who family tell dem (or dey tell deyself) it have no money in football...but being a doctor, businessman does pay??

Me eh know

However I think an innocent question by the german fellah will either spark this thread into a raging fire or men could simply keep their polarizing opinions to deyself and let it fizzle quietly.....until after Thursday

Personally, me eh care whey yuh look like....yuh from Trinbago? we limin STRONG
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 07:08:07 AM »
Touches, You are correct is some of your points
The team is the bess 23 not the all inclusive 23.
And it is very true my folks stressed education over sports, my parents would pay for extra lessons before the send me to summer camp to play ball.

But Lizard indians do play ball,but as it so happens the top 23 is not of indian descent and  what you see in germany right now, is our best players.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 07:11:24 AM by trinindian »

Offline lizzard1910

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 07:35:35 AM »
Indeed it was only supposed to be an "innocent question" from my side - I just wanted to know why...

For the German team I could also say it's the best 23 we have. But in our case it's onls parlty true. Because players like Halil Altintop, Hamit Altintop, Nuri Sahin (all playing for the Turkish National team) were born in Germany, grew up in Germany, speak much better German than Turkish, still play in Germany, but as a matter of poor integration policy in Germany they don't play for Germany...(same with Ivan Klasnic, playing for Croatia)
Most Junior teams in Germany , esp. in bigger cities ,wouldn't survive without players with Turkish, Croatian or African heritage...I'd say they make up about 50% these days, but only few end up playing for Germany (Asamoah, Odonkor, maybe Podolski who came to Germany at age 2). But things are changing, and we (finally!!!) will get used to the fact that a German National player (or Germans in general) can have ancestors from Africa or names like Mustafa!

Amen  :praying:

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 07:42:12 AM »
Sando

Them names yuh call there is 5 names in a 10 team league...a team go have at least 25 men on a roster maybe 30.

So out of approx 250-300 they only have 5 Indian?

So by the numbers game they already at a disadvantage.

Then yuh qualify yuh statement by saying they do not play football after college.....thus how yuh could expect them to play at the WC if they not even playing Pro ball?

Yuh understand what I saying....Thanks for reiterating they not competent enough to make it at the WC level.

Dutty I not contradicting myself...look at it as two important factors which do not produce Indian footballers....and if you check it talent is nothing unless and until it is used. So it is a mute point saying the man had talent, but he become a doctor or engineer. The point can only be explored if he have talent and follows thru with it and it is compared with other players of different races.

Warmonger, I not understanding yuh post....What does you or I being Indian and half indian respectively have anything to do with the absence of Indian players on the national team. It is a combination of factors that contribute to their absence.

Leww not get into no race issue here.

I just stating things man seeing but just ent want to say.

At the end of the day it is TT and the Socawarriors.

Bless

I agree lewwe put this talk to rest till after World Cup.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 08:11:45 AM »

Kahlil Mathura, I am sure they had more in the pass..

Vijay Samaroo, Kahlil Mathura.

Javed Mohammed (United Petrotrin), Anton Ramnarine, Vijay Samaroo (Starworld), Kendell Jagdeosingh (half indian), Randy Ramcharan (Caledonia).

None because they do not play football after college.

Vijay Samaroo didn't finish school and I don't think he is playing for Starworld again..long story that I am not getting into...but he was very good back in dey but attitude is just as important as talent...cant recall mathura mashing up SSFL to the point of being on the national senior team.

I haven't seen Javed Mohammed and Jagdeosing play but I heard they arevery good..only time will tell.

Back in my day at pres, we have quite a few talented players of indian decent that were successful at the U14 and U16 level (even played for national youth teams) but somehow they struggled at the championship level...the one area most of them struggled with was the physical aspect of the game...they had skill  but always got pushed around...so that might be a reason why they are not on the national senior teams.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:17:28 AM by real madness »

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 08:22:30 AM »
All this talk about Indian Footballers, I saw an Trini on saturday wearing his Adidas Warriors Shirt on the bus and started speaking to him and told where to watch the game (He didnt want to take his daughter to the pub) he said He used to play for Petrotrin but gave up for his education. Didnt catch his name though!

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 08:25:09 AM »
Yes Indians from Trinidad do play FOOTBALL

I am an Indian...that love FOOTBALL way more than I like CRICKET....I was a good cricketer, however my game is FOOTBALL. Its is true the number of Indians playing school or professional football are minute, does not mean they don`t play.

So leh we leggo this Topic, cause it go only cause more grieve........I think skill is the defining factor to be chosen to rep your country, so if you not good enough no matter what RACE u are not gonna be selected. :beermug:

Once we continue to pick the best 11 from Trinidad and Tobago ....I really doh care what race they is.......This is how I was breed as a Trinidadian. We Cosmopolitan AND OPEN TO EVERYONE. So if u have the skills come and try out!

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 08:25:30 AM »

Theres one on the french team though Indian Descent Via Mauritius  ;D

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 08:26:27 AM »
Yes Indians from Trinidad do play FOOTBALL

I am an Indian...that love FOOTBALL way more than I like CRICKET....I was a good cricketer, however my game is FOOTBALL. Its is true the number of Indians playing school or professional football are minute, does not mean they don`t play.

So leh we leggo this Topic, cause it go only cause more grieve........I think skill is the defining factor to be chosen to rep your country, so if you not good enough no matter what RACE u are not gonna be selected. :beermug:

Once we continue to pick the best 11 from Trinidad and Tobago ....I really doh care what race they is.......This is how I was breed as a Trinidadian. We Cosmopolitan AND OPEN TO EVERYONE. So if u have the skills come and try out!

:applause: :applause: :applause:
what i have been saying all along

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 08:27:37 AM »

Vikash Dhorasoo(french league) and theres Chopra (ok Half Indian)

Aron Winter, Most Capped Dutch Player Ever (via Surinam) (Van der sar is going to take over soon though)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:30:43 AM by Carib-briton(aka Futbol) »

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 08:30:14 AM »

Vikash Dhorasoo(french league) and theres Chopra

Theres one on the french team though Indian Descent Via Mauritius  ;D

wow i did not know that , tanks for the education lesson

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 08:32:13 AM »
It have some good indian players down in Trini...Dawirika...Apachi also known as Ricky... hardess also known a Dawyne! But some ah them indian like to much rum and criket! rotfl:  :rotfl: Is joke ah making I love all people!  :)
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 08:46:32 AM »
Is amazing how funny Trinidadians are eh...
The man ask a simple question how come they have no Indians on the team, and everybody suddenly up hot and hungry to beat down saying how they eh care, they want the best 11, they doh want no all inclusive thing etc etc....
If was a Trini ask the question I coulda understand, but the man is a foreigner who obviously know more about us than the average one.

People like to say that race is not a problem in Trinidad, but the responsse to this thread alone proves that that is a pack of nonsense. I remember when TriniInfinite start the are the Hindus supporting the Soca Warriors thread how the thing degenerate...

People on this same flicking board does want to know why France have so many black players on they team. They see any racialism asking that there? Steups

BTW, Touches, the man never ask if there was a conspiracy and i doubt he was implying there was one.
I agree with some of your points (the earlier ones) but your education theory doesn't explain why we have so many cricketers of East Indian descent...

To respond to the original question there have been a few rare ones. The names that I've found are Steve Khan, Bobby Sookram, Adrian Narine, and in recent times there have been two Mixed Indian players - Arnold Dwarika and Brent Rahim.

On the club level, Dhanoolal for Caledonia, now with WASA apparently, used to stand out.

On the school level, both Javed Mohammed and Jagdesingh have received good reviews - I went to school with Mathura and I never realise he was an Indian - if anything he half white/half indian but whatever, its all good.

On the international level, I could be very wrong, but I think Aron Winter (Holland) was of (Surinamese) Indian origin
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 09:05:20 AM »
Is amazing how funny Trinidadians are eh...
The man ask a simple question how come they have no Indians on the team, and everybody suddenly up hot and hungry to beat down saying how they eh care, they want the best 11, they doh want no all inclusive thing etc etc....
If was a Trini ask the question I coulda understand, but the man is a foreigner who obviously know more about us than the average one.

People like to say that race is not a problem in Trinidad, but the responsse to this thread alone proves that that is a pack of nonsense. I remember when TriniInfinite start the are the Hindus supporting the Soca Warriors thread how the thing degenerate...

People on this same flicking board does want to know why France have so many black players on they team. They see any racialism asking that there? Steups

BTW, Touches, the man never ask if there was a conspiracy and i doubt he was implying there was one.
I agree with some of your points (the earlier ones) but your education theory doesn't explain why we have so many cricketers of East Indian descent...

To respond to the original question there have been a few rare ones. The names that I've found are Steve Khan, Bobby Sookram, Adrian Narine, and in recent times there have been two Mixed Indian players - Arnold Dwarika and Brent Rahim.

On the club level, Dhanoolal for Caledonia, now with WASA apparently, used to stand out.

On the school level, both Javed Mohammed and Jagdesingh have received good reviews - I went to school with Mathura and I never realise he was an Indian - if anything he half white/half indian but whatever, its all good.

On the international level, I could be very wrong, but I think Aron Winter (Holland) was of (Surinamese) Indian origin
he is.

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 09:05:42 AM »
lol your right men jump up on this thread. but i go jump on it abit too ;) Fact is if there arnt as many indian players playing then dats 1 reason, size strength can come into it too. but its Trinidads loss if all races arnt trying. we all want the best 11 not matter their race. but look at it this way. We are an island of 1.3 million our talent pool is tiny its amazing that we can even compete in Concacaf let alone the world cup. if we have 5000 players right now then with all races getting more involved we could have say 7500-10000 which doubles the talent pool which could be the difference between having an ok 11 and a good squad. if even 3 indians make it maybe a chinese and a syrian it would have been worth the effort not because of race but because of numbers and quality. imagine if brazilian indians didnt play ball.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 09:09:30 AM »
lol your right men jump up on this thread. but i go jump on it abit too ;) Fact is if there arnt as many indian players playing then dats 1 reason, size strength can come into it too. but its Trinidads loss if all races arnt trying. we all want the best 11 not matter their race. but look at it this way. We are an island of 1.3 million our talent pool is tiny its amazing that we can even compete in Concacaf let alone the world cup. if we have 5000 players right now then with all races getting more involved we could have say 7500-10000 which doubles the talent pool which could be the difference between having an ok 11 and a good squad. if even 3 indians make it maybe a chinese and a syrian it would have been worth the effort not because of race but because of numbers and quality. imagine if brazilian indians didnt play ball.
They would call up someone else because they have the talent regardless of race.

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2006, 09:11:44 AM »
They would call up someone else because they have the talent regardless of race.

Yes and they would be a weaker team for it. so u see what i mean

1]; } ?>