April 24, 2024, 01:38:53 AM

Author Topic: would a team intentionally lose a game to avoid another team?  (Read 3339 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
i am asking this question because the 1st and 2nd place in group A will b decided b4 the last games in group b kick off.
lets just say ecuador draw with germany and hence ecuador top d group. that would mean that the winner of group b would have to face Germany. would england  try to avoid germany at all cost?? would they hand sweden a victory to avoid Germany?
ah not saying ah jus wondering out loud.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: would a team intentionally lose a game to avoid another team?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 02:17:10 PM »
personally i feel, yeah...dey wouldn't admit it though, but if sven have a chioce, germany or ecuador, ah feel dey going wid ecuador...we'll have to wait and see
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Trini Babe

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 03:04:09 PM »
Hope not.........Don't think so. England and Sweden squared off many times........ I think they will want to drive home a win against Sweden.  Either way England losing. They not playing at their full strength. Is licks either way.  :rotfl:
Wayne Rooney fabulous. I love the guy but he cannot hold England alone. They got a fine leader in David Bekham but they don't really play as a team........more like individuals. 
They all want their own glory. My two cents anyway.

The Impossible becomes the possible.
If you can dream it you can live it!

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »
i doubt Sven would want to lose against Sweden as he's under alotta criticism... plus everyone would notice it if the give away the match and that'll just add alot more pressure on them from their fans and media... sweden seems to be quite week this time around... they went full strength against paraguay and didnt score until the 88th minute... just pray that england do the right thing on tuesday if things "go bad" in group A and trust that our team can get the right result

Offline Viperist

• New Warrior
  • Live by the Gunners Die by the Gunners!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 06:15:44 PM »
 supposedly england does win the match, what position does trinidad and tobago have? Do you think paraguay wil give us the chance to go forward and qualify in the group. they have 0 points what goes is it going to do them if they get three against us think about it.l
By de Viperist!!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 06:40:28 PM »
You have no pride or what?
Everytime i step on a field to play a game, i playing to win, whether I first in the league or last.
Paraguay doh want to leave the world cup with 0 points any more than we do. So i expect them to play a spirited game.

If we want to make it to the 2nd round, we have to EARN IT.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Viperist

• New Warrior
  • Live by the Gunners Die by the Gunners!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 06:49:39 PM »
i hear you ok well i guess we go jus have to blow them out. i trust me when i say i do have pride!!!!
By de Viperist!!

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 05:40:17 PM »
i feeling a bit uneasy ah hearing the 2 SWEDISH coaches talking bout being happy with a draw. sven say he n mind toping the group with a draw. well boy is ah good thing english fans always demand maximum from their team
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 06:00:09 PM »
Yeah I kinda concerned about this game for real. Hopefully England push hard for a win
Ketch footballitis

Offline trini_chris

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 06:39:37 PM »
all of that is really out of our hands. we simply have to BEAT PARAGUAY BAD!!!!!
d original WARRIOR PRINCESS. win or lose i am a FIGHTER.

Offline Mr Icky

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 06:50:58 PM »
i am asking this question because the 1st and 2nd place in group A will b decided b4 the last games in group b kick off.
lets just say ecuador draw with germany and hence ecuador top d group. that would mean that the winner of group b would have to face Germany. would englandĀ  try to avoid germany at all cost?? would they hand sweden a victory to avoid Germany?
ah not saying ah jus wondering out loud.
In the interest of team spirit they might not DELIBERATELY decide to lose, but they might just play dey shit side instead.

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 11:07:40 AM »
yeah dem bastards master do that, thats why they had to let game play same time

Offline masterblaster

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 11:18:58 AM »
Remember that Ericksson is Swedish!!! As long as they don't lose to Sweden he will be satisying both sides.  The draw allows his country to go through and allows England to top the group. 
They probably done talk to the Swedes and arrange that already.  World Cup is big business in Europe allyuh.  I bet you if England don't score first that game remaining 0-0!!!

Offline Trini Babe

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 11:30:06 AM »
Don't think so......... I believe England winning against Sweden. Foreign Press not going to let them get
off so easy. The English fans too. If you can't win against Sweden what chance you have with Germany, Ecaudor, Brazil, Argentina and the rest.   
The Impossible becomes the possible.
If you can dream it you can live it!

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 11:41:05 AM »
England have much to prove still and with Rooney starting they would want to impress today and bury the rivalry at the same time

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER I WLL BE SAYING

GOOO ENNGLLANND GOOO!!

Offline Lstat

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 11:57:41 AM »
Well, England hasn't beaten Sweden in almost 40 years (so I hear), so I think he'll be looking for a win. They definitely don't want to lose to Sweden now though, because if they do that they meeting Germany next round, and they don't have a great record against the Germans.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 12:33:14 PM »
The football Gods are smiling...  England must get de win, can't afford to play for de draw because de "War Machine" Germany is knocking out de next opponent and they would rather it not be them so let Trinidad or Sweden or whoever go deal with dem.  England 3 -1

Trinidad vs Paraguay  2 -1  Goals by Glenn & Russell Latapy ( possible a third by Kenwayne Jones free kick)

boy if dis come Mother CornHucks done loss she wok....... well look at meh crosses :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Warren N. Boucaud

1]; } ?>