April 28, 2024, 11:57:02 AM

Author Topic: Kudos for Warriors ..T&T give battling performance in 2-0 defeat to Mexico  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
Kudos for Warriors
T&T give battling performance in 2-0 defeat to Mexico
By: Ian Prescott (Trinidad Express)

Trinidad and Tobago's Warriors have come in for kudos from several quarters, despite a 2-0 defeat to Mexico in a CONCACAF World Cup qualifier in Monterrey, Mexico, on Wednesday night.
After a goalless first half, goals from Jared Borgetti (65th) and Luis Perez (89th) gave group leaders Mexico victory and extended their unbeaten streak to 18 World Cup qualifying matches.
But even in defeat, which left Trinidad and Tobago fifth in the six-team standings, many are encouraged by the Warriors' performance away to a traditionally difficult opponent and feel it is still possible to qualify for the 2006 World Cup from the five remaining CONCACAF qualifiers.

Here are reactions to Wednesday's match:

LINCOLN PHILLIPS-Trinidad & Tobago Football Federation technical director:

"I though it was the best performance of a Trinidad and Tobago team in Mexico...absolutely. I was very happy to see a continuation of the improvement that I saw from the Alianza Lima game, where we tried to possess the ball. It got even better in the game against Panama (which T&T won 2-0 last Saturday) and we were equally as positive against a world-class team as Mexico.
I think the tactics of the game were first class. We closed up the middle and played compact, to the point where the Mexicans were booing their own team and they made a substitution after 35 minutes." Overall, Phillip felt that Trinidad and Tobago were improving rapidly and with continued advancement could qualify for the World Cup. "I think we are going along a very nice line of improvement. I think the upcoming Gold Cup games will help to take us to that other level," he added.

EDGAR VIDALE-Former national coach/technical director:

"I was proud that we were able to keep the score as low as it was. The best I had hoped for was a draw, but I think they played very manfully, the defence in particular."

PETER O'CONNOR-Marketing manager, Local Organising Committee/ Former Football Association president:

"I had hoped for a draw and wished for a win, but I did not rationally expect either. I would have loved a point, but what I see is continued improvement. I see us fighting for third with Costa Rica and Guatemala. I think the Gold Cup is going to give us a chance to maintain the continuation of the good work that we are seeing with the team. Though I was disappointed, I see many positives."

DAVID JOHN WILLIAMS-Owner, W. Connection Football Club:

"I think that we defended well, although we did not have as much possession as the Mexicans. Looking at the history of us playing in Mexico, I think it was one of our better performances over there." John-Williams felt the Warriors have improved and that the squad is now more settled. "When last you see Trinidad play the same squad in consecutive matches?" he asked.

CLAYTON MORRIS-Former national captain:

"Just like in the Panama game, I think that we really improved again for the Mexico game. The way we structured the game, especially the defence, was very impressive. You can see that we are trying to play to a plan. You see that the team is now organised, has a plan, and is trying to play to that plan. I am impressed."

BRIAN WILLIAMS-Former national defender:

"I think the national team continues to improve. Since (coach Leo) Beenhakker took over, I see a new spirit in the team. I don't think it was bad performance."
Williams said, fitness-wise, the team has some work to do to maintain the intensity through a full World Cup qualifier, but he is confident that Trinidad and Tobago are playing well enough to pick up the seven or so points that will qualify the team for the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

MUHAMMED ISA-Former national coach:

"I think that we played well. Tactically, I think we approached the game well. There has been a great improvement in the team and the players are possessing the ball more. I thought that basically two errors cost us the game but, overall, I think they played well."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 11:33:52 AM by Tallman »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Everybody happy!!!!!! take an applause!!!!!!!!

Yuh know continious improvement is  one of the keys to this campagin. Now that we have played eveyone  once; if we can improve on the results from the first round, then there is more reason for optimism in our camp.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation

BRIAN WILLIAMS-Former national defender:
Williams said, fitness-wise, the team has some work to do to maintain the intensity through a full World Cup qualifier, but he is confident that Trinidad and Tobago are playing well enough to pick up the seven or so points that will qualify the team for the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

This fitness thing need to be worked on.  It is supposed to be the easiest and most straightforward area to rectify.
Come on guys, do your homework away from the field and it will reap rewards.  No pint sized Guatemalan supposed to be able to run longer or faster than us.  Make full use of your physical advantage.

jusme

I think Lincoln Phillips made the point that fitness was related to time of possession.  The team that is dominating the possession and letting the ball do the work will not get tired as fast as the team where men scrambling from here to there and back constantly chasing the ball.

Against Mexico, this is where we suffered, and that is to be expected, we not in their class as yet.  Against the US, sometimes it had seem like the american midfielders was playing monkey in the middle with yorkie.

1]; } ?>