April 16, 2024, 03:53:03 AM

Author Topic: Phone-pest Yorke to cheerlead England win  (Read 3306 times)

Offline trinikid

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Phone-pest Yorke to cheerlead England win
« on: June 18, 2006, 09:37:14 AM »
Updated: June 18, 2006
Phone-pest Yorke to cheerlead England win

ROTENBURG, June 18 (Reuters) - Trinidad & Tobago captain Dwight Yorke intends to text or call as many England players as possible, urging them to win against Sweden and help his country to progress from World Cup Group B alongside the English.

If Trinidad beat Paraguay in their final group match on Tuesday and England defeat Sweden at the same time, the Caribbean side will reach the second phase at their first finals if they have a better goal difference than the Swedes.

'I will be texting or will call the boys, like (Wayne) Rooney, Becks (David Beckham), Rio (Ferdinand), Gary (Neville),' he told reporters on Sunday.

'To honest I will text them all if I can get their numbers, but certainly most of them anyway.'

Yorke is firm friends with many of the England squad, especially those who play or have played for Manchester United.

The 34-year-old spent four years at Old Trafford and returned to United recently by invitation to prepare for the finals.

Trinidad held Sweden to a scoreless draw in their opening game, before losing 2-0 to England after two second half goals.

'Obviously, after the game we had a good chat and they (England's players) said they hadn't expected such a tough game, so that is a credit to us,' Yorke said.

'We have done what we wanted so far, we didn't want to be the whipping boys and you know the tournament is over already for some teams, but it isn't over yet for us.'

Despite having one eye on the England game, Yorke was also quick to point out that his team must do their part.

'We need to make sure we get maximum points against Paraguay, first and foremost and let everything else look after itself,' Yorke said.

'But of course we do need England to do us a massive favour and I hope they can.'

England have already booked their place in the last 16 after beating Paraguay as well as Trinidad & Tobago.

espnsoccernet-source

1]; } ?>