April 25, 2024, 06:50:03 PM

Author Topic: US likens team to Soca Warriors (lol)  (Read 9577 times)

Offline GyurlTrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Profile
US likens team to Soca Warriors (lol)
« on: June 18, 2006, 11:46:42 AM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/18/SPGRMJG9D11.DTL

ALIVE & KICKING
After plucky tie, U.S. deserves some respect

Scott Ostler

Sunday, June 18, 2006

(06-18) 04:00 PDT Kaiserslautern, Germany -- Maybe it's time for the USA to get some of that Trinidad and Tobago-style love and admiration from the rest of the soccer world.

What, America's team and fans can't be cool and lovable?

What's the USA? Chopped liver?

Trinidad and Tobago, if you're joining the party late, was the feel-good hit of the first week of the tournament after they held powerful Sweden to a scoreless tie and battled England even for most of the match. Everybody, even neutral fans, jumped on the Soca Warriors' bandwagon.

The U.S., after Saturday's historic 1-1 finish against way-more-talented Italy, not only is now very much alive in the tournament, but has earned something you can't buy here with a barrel of Euros -- respect.

The Trinidad and Tobago kind of love probably won't come, not yet, which is too bad. The Soca Warriors had island music, we've got island music -- Jimmy Buffett, Billy Joel (Manhattan Island).

Trinidad and Tobago showed endearing pluck and courage, and the U.S. team somehow managed to find that same rare stuff Saturday. If the rest of the world isn't yet ready to give it up for Uncle Sam's boys, the U.S. generated enough self respect Saturday to keep themselves warm.

And now it can be told: Even though the U.S. players put on a happy face in the days after the 3-0 loss to the Czech Republic, they now admit that they know they sucked, they were embarrassed and puzzled, they were reeling.

"There were a lot of smiles in the locker room tonight," said U.S. defender Jimmy Conrad. "We could look each other in the eye. We had four or five days where we couldn't look each other in the eye."

Landon Donovan, one of the players who went from very small to very big in five short days, said pretty much the same: "You can't fault our effort. We didn't have that Monday, but we had it today. We were in a position (Monday) to make plays, and we didn't, because guys weren't giving that extra effort. Tonight they were."

What flipped the switch? Can the U.S. duct-tape the switch in the "up" position? Nobody knows, and that's part of the fun, but Saturday's game now occupies a place very high on the list of America's Greatest (soccer) Hits.

Italy is loaded with world-class talent, a very hungry team, and is very physical, exactly the kind of team the timid U.S. didn't seem ready for. When the Americans lost their second player to a red card early in the second half and knew it would be a man down the rest of the night, 10 vs. 9, the fat lady was clearing her throat.

She never sang a note.

Goalkeeper Kasey Keller got the Man of the Match award, but veteran forward Brian McBride was the Americans' poster boy for pluck. Late in the first half he and Italy's Daniele De Rossi went up for a high ball and De Rossi threw a right elbow that sliced open a cut under McBride's left eye. World's easiest red card, although De Rossi eloquently mimed his innocence to the ref. Elbow? I was merely leaping for the ball, and the arms were flying!

The Italians are marvelous thespians, absolutely breathtaking in their range of emotion when they flop or protest their innocence.

"Are there snipers shooting those guys?" an American fan wondered in the men's room at halftime. "Do those guys live with their mothers?"

The Italians flop gorgeously. They are probably the only team that holds stretcher practice. De Rossi apologized to McBride after the game, then told the media, "I don't know what happened, I was fighting for position and I guess we bumped."

I asked McBride what the shot felt like.

"I'm fortunate that I don't have any feeling in my face in that area, from my two plastic surgeries," McBride said.

How much hardware does he have in his face?

"Four (titanium) plates here (left side), three here (right)."

Keller, whose three previous World Cup starts were losses, said Saturday's enormously pleasing result was just a matter of the boys digging down.

"You go from a man up to a man down within three minutes and you know you gotta roll up your sleeves," Keller said. "And we created chances. We didn't just sit back and kick balls out of bounds. One point (for the tie) was a victory for us. We've still got a mountain to climb, but at least it's climbable, we haven't fallen off the cliff."

That kind of pluck deserves some props from the world. The likelihood of the Americans getting it? Slim. For various reasons, some of them legit, the U.S. just isn't as lovable as Trinidad and Tobago, or, for that matter, Ghana, America's next opponent.

It's tough being an unloved underdog. U.S. coach Bruce Arena said he thought the red card on America's Pablo Mastroeni was a make-up for the red on DeRossi, and, "I think it's natural that the traditional powers (top teams) probably get a little bit more respect from the officials. It's the same in every sport. One day, the U.S. will get those calls."

First you have to go out and win a few World Cups, as have the Italians. For the U.S., the immediate challenge is to advance to the knockout round. If they do, the world will have to give them some love.

Until then, they've earned respect from where it means the most -- each other.

*I'm so tempted to send in a response - dunno wat 2 say yet tho, lol*
Luv Kat

Offline shivadee

• Full Warrior
  • There is only ONE number 7. And its worn in Trini
    • View Profile
Re: US likens team to Soca Warriors (lol)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 11:53:39 AM »
wait wait wait......after Tuesday we go answer this one ;) :beermug:

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 11:58:19 AM »
LOUD AND CLEAR THE USA MUTTA COUNT....... what they still trying to get props? and lok they want to align with we? let the USA sink in they own heap ah tata.
Ah hope they  get real buss up next game.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 12:09:56 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline browneyed warrior

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 12:06:11 PM »
Huh?

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 12:44:36 PM »
The referee lost control of the game yesterday and it was not a fair contest, yes the US showed up at last but. they themselves did not score and Italy just like all the big boys underestimated you. However you have GHANA to deal with and they would not care either way about UNCLE SAM'S ARMY, they also know they have to win that game to make the second round, and after that game Saturday it would take soething special from the US to beat them.

GO GHANA GO!!!! US HAVE  NO RIGHT TO BE 4TH IN THE WORLD

Offline Verteidiger

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 01:48:53 PM »
GIMME A CHANCE!!!

So them want "Soca Warriors" Type love now??
After they bash we and say all kinda ting...

steups..them alright yes

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 01:51:23 PM »
steups

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 02:06:40 PM »
steupsssssssssssssssssss

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 02:14:15 PM »
I don't blame them for these silly articles. They are in a position where the overwhelming majority of the teams at this cup are not. They are still trying to sell this game to their people. They need all the verbal torrents of patriotism they can get.

Offline GyurlTrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 02:20:41 PM »
yea that's true, but ... to say things like we can find island music to bring with us to the World Cup, I mean, come on! Statements like that don't show any kinda understanding of the role that our local music plays in our local sporting culture & no understanding of why we party while we have matches playing, that's the vibe I get from hearing the US commentators comments about Trini's partyin in Germany. I mean, that's our way of cheering our team on & boosting their spirits.
Luv Kat

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 02:25:24 PM »
fire bun usa

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 02:34:27 PM »
Damn Americans...

Steupppsssss :P

Dey give we no respect, now dey want love n respect from de rest of de world...

Old sayin "Hold dey A.."

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 05:33:35 PM »
I cannot not understand....before the WC USA was the biggest team, they got cheated out of being seeded and all that jazz. Now all of a sudden they are less talented and less experienced than all these teams ranked lower than they are. It's a complete about face turn. From all snotty and almighty, to the humble and meek in less than a week time? How odd.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline GyurlTrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 05:42:36 PM »
lol yea! ... my thoughts exactly.
Luv Kat

Offline in dey pwefen!

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 06:48:01 PM »
That's a very interesting article. There are some positives on our behalf that speak tonloads on the weay the world is now seeing us. The "mighty" Americans who for ages have looked on us with pride and arrogance are now looking at us as an example to gain that "Trinidad & Tobago-style love and admiration". They have finally realized that they are in need of something vital for world acceptance. I do not think that they will ever look on us again as being easy. This goes to show how much more than we can see that the Soca Warriors have progressed. The word that comes to mind is "enchanting:" Do not worry about that 'island music' crap. They are looking for comparisons which are just not there. As the writer suggested, or rather questioned and I say a loud yes to the yare "Chopped Liver".
Do not let those things un-nerve you to make you swear. They have been belittled by the intensity and unity of a nation at the height of not just success but on the brink of greta things.
Stay cool peeps. Stay cool and watch how they have crumbled. We will now beat the crap out of them on the field of play. Is true Trini style soca soccer with "island music" t ospur us on.

Offline Rymizx

• Full Warrior
  • It's a small world ! - No Really...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 06:53:30 PM »
Utter utter crap...

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 06:55:20 PM »
10 more months in this stinking country and ah gone forever
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 06:57:00 PM »
Jah Gol I real tired oui.  Ah glad you have de energy to try and smarten up some people.

Mad props breds!

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 10:47:31 PM »
It's real funny...many of us can read the same article and yet come to many different conclusions, though I think that only the negative vibe's hitting this thread, and I don't blame anyone for that.  The way i see it, the article could be construed as mildly flattering to T&T.  The writer is obviously not well versed on our culture, and the key elements that compose the symphony of our people.  Remember, at least he's trying.  Foolhardy, yes.  He got it wrong, admitedly...but the poor guy's trying.

Anyway, I wish the US well in their encounter against Ghana.  Without much natuaral talent, the US plays the game as a team, and with cocky and sometimes arrogant abandon, plays above their means.  Sadly, arrogance is a disease that plague most nations at the World Cup.  A select few can back it up.  Most cannot. 

Ghana will advance, and hopefully will advance far into the later stages of the tournament.  The US will not.     
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 11:18:07 PM by fidel2xl »
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline marcel

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 02:03:08 AM »

the usa again.......
pfff...
one more game and they are gone,finally....

think they are great again when they draw against italy.

and that donovan guy
i dont see him do the great things that the americans see him doing.
but then again.......the are americans.....they see more things that are not there......

Offline GyurlTrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 08:57:07 AM »
It's real funny...many of us can read the same article and yet come to many different conclusions, though I think that only the negative vibe's hitting this thread, and I don't blame anyone for that.  The way i see it, the article could be construed as mildly flattering to T&T.  The writer is obviously not well versed on our culture, and the key elements that compose the symphony of our people.  Remember, at least he's trying.  Foolhardy, yes.  He got it wrong, admitedly...but the poor guy's trying.

Anyway, I wish the US well in their encounter against Ghana.  Without much natuaral talent, the US plays the game as a team, and with cocky and sometimes arrogant abandon, plays above their means.  Sadly, arrogance is a disease that plague most nations at the World Cup.  A select few can back it up.  Most cannot. 

Ghana will advance, and hopefully will advance far into the later stages of the tournament.  The US will not.     

Yea I agree, when I found that article, I kinda read all of that into it & didn't really know what to think, lol. Part of me wanted to explain this part of our culture to him, part of me thought it was ironic that after all these years of hearing bout how "Americanized" d Trini youths were becoming (because we thought it was cool to follow the American example) the Americans now tinkin dey need to look 2 us for an example, but den I was also like "how dey cud compare dey team to ours? We started off d competition on a much worse foot dan dem. Dey had World Cup experience, where we had none. Dey was d #5 team in d worls or sumtin so, in comparison 2 our #47." But I understand & respect d fact dat dey prolly feelin low given dat dey not doin so well & a team like ours who originally was considered worse dan dem, doin betta in dey eyes.
Luv Kat

Offline TnTPebbles

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 09:04:46 AM »
LOL Trinidad and Tobago got the best fans.  We represent to the fullest and we able to show the world our very passionate and fun loving spirit/energy like no other country in the world cup.  ;)

Offline GyurlTrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 09:06:03 AM »
lol yup ... daz 1 ting we hadda b real proud a weselves 4.
Luv Kat

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 09:21:09 AM »
I think the author was jokin about that "island music" part.  Ah mean, Billy Joel's Manhattan Island music?  The writer just injectin some humour there.

Offline whistler91

• Full Warrior
  • Love, Respect, Honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 09:23:23 AM »
take it for what it is worth....
they love us too bad
“There is no force like success, and that is why the individual makes all effort to surround himself throughout life with the evidence of it; as of the individual, so should it be of the nation.”

Offline WarriorGoal

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 09:54:07 AM »
All that article comes across as saying isthey want the attention the Trinis are getting.

Its simple Tnt doh carry on so. We don't rub it in peoples face about how great a country we are ad neither will we make a chupid movie about how we win the world cup against all the odds. ::)

Its the yanks previous behaiviour is why they get treated as such.
Soca Warriors only score Warrior goals!

Offline lil one

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 12:34:19 PM »
I feel sure to say that one man, who probably is not well versed on either Trinidad or World Cup, does not represent the sentiments of the enirety of the US. Not to mention the way I read that article was very complimentary of not only the Warriors as a team but their fans as well.

The T&T way is proving to be infectious in Germany which is being broadcast aroung the globe and that makes me proud, but this thread brings me shame. Quit hating on something so silly especially if your posting from the US!

Offline trini_chris

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 12:46:02 PM »
fuego 4 the US, allyuh could never have what we've got... TRU WARRIOR SPIRIT!
outside with allyuh
d original WARRIOR PRINCESS. win or lose i am a FIGHTER.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 01:51:19 PM »
How that fool begging for love so, US  is a bunch of arrogant, anal, uptight people. What Trinis have comes from generations of lifestyles that make us who we are. People  around the world like us because like Dwight says, "we can get along with anyone", we have an accomodating nature and we don't sweat the small stuff but at the same time we have a high sense of work ethic and attitude balanced with a passion to party.

Yuh either a trini or yuh not simple as that........

Poor US I feel no symathy for them, going into the tournament like they should be seeded and one of the favorites PLEASE! How the tables have turned, we are scorned by their media and now they are last in their group with 1 point -4 goal difference and they want to beat who GHANA. Keep dreaming US and enjoy the return flight Friday morning after Thursday's bullpistle session. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline scrunter2

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 03:28:11 PM »
New Warrior

« Reply #27 on: Today at 02:34:19 PM »   

-
." Quit hating on something so silly especially if your posting from the US! "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why are you so naive or who you trying to impress. yuh think dem yankees care bout you all dey care bout is dey and demselves.....dey badmouthing we...dey try to sabotage we chances of qualifying by playing a substandard team against Costa Rica ....Bruce instead ah encourage we as one of de teams from de same region pound we and now you telling we to turn the proverbial cheek....we do that so many times already dat we face wear out from turning.

Yuh want love ...EARN IT!!!!!!

Yuh want respect EARN IT....duh try to buy it.

WARRIORS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:30:55 PM by scrunter2 »

1]; } ?>