March 28, 2024, 03:03:00 PM

Author Topic: THERES HOPE!!!ROONEY TO START AGAINST SWEDEN  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
THERES HOPE!!!ROONEY TO START AGAINST SWEDEN
« on: June 18, 2006, 09:12:46 PM »
Rooney to start as England fiddle the middle and front

Daniel Taylor in Baden-Baden
Monday June 19, 2006
The Guardian

Sven-Goran Eriksson has confirmed Wayne Rooney will start England's match against Sweden tomorrow but the coach is considering a more radical alteration that would see an angry Steven Gerrard sit out the final group game.

Rooney was asked to partner Michael Owen in attack yesterday during England's final training session in the Black Forest before heading to Cologne, while Owen Hargreaves took the place of Gerrard in midfield. Eriksson also considered playing Tottenham's Jermaine Jenas in place of Frank Lampard, but in the end stuck to his assertion of Saturday that he would change no more than two of his starting line-up for a game England do not need to win.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: THERES HOPE!!!ROONEY TO START AGAINST SWEDEN
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 09:44:02 PM »
ah doh really support england but they need to pull off ah big victory fuh we.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 10:36:06 PM »
Now if Yorkie want to send text and ting telling dem why dey should win.....hear de line he hadda take with Rooney:

Watch meh.....if yuh notice all dem contenders for best young player eh sticking....Mess, C. Ronaldo and Podolski done hit de net already. Dem done in stride already!! Yuh hadda make up for lost time and the best way to do dat is to hit a hattrick...and with that yuh might be close to the top for golden boot one time!! Imagine dat....yuh could go home with a minimum of two trophies!!!

Somebody please inform Dwight of various methods of selling the product nah....to ensure we get de sale.  :beermug:
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 10:42:41 PM »
did i miss sumting? is Rooney  Pele or someting?

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 10:44:26 PM »
Well see by virtue of England winning....they would at least be sent back to a goal difference of 0.....cuz right now its +1.  If we score two....we go be level on goal difference. The only way we have control is in how much goals we score.....so we really cyar lapse with chances and ting. If england win....and we score 3...we in the game.

did i miss sumting? is Rooney Pele or someting?

Apparently to england....he is  ::)....i eh go mind if he live up to that name for just this one game though.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 11:09:14 PM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline lunz

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
England, with Rooney starting eager to finally beat Sweden -Yahoo Sports
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 01:20:19 AM »
England, with Rooney starting eager to finally beat Sweden

By KRYSTYNA RUDZKI, AP Sports Writer

BUEHLERTAL, Germany (AP) -- England hasn't beaten Sweden since 1968. It's starting to irritate.

The run goes back 11 matches and includes a 1-1 draw in the group stage at the 2002 World Cup.

Then, Sweden won the group. On Tuesday, England wants to be there instead -- for the first time since the 1990 World Cup.

"I think it's about time we put a stop to this Sweden thing and we go out on Tuesday and get a win against them," England midfielder Steven Gerrard said Saturday. "We're really confident we can go and get three points."

There have been four Swedish victories and seven draws since England won 3-1 on May 22, 1968. Two games were in World Cup qualifying in 1998 and '99, with neither team scoring in either match. In a first-rounder of the 2002 World Cup, they tied 1-1.

Sweden's wins were 1-0 in a friendly in 1986, 2-1 in the 1992 European Championship, 2-1 in the 1998 qualifying rounds for the 2000 Euros, and 1-0 in a friendly in March 2004.

The last time England won all three of its group games was at the 1982 World Cup, where it was eliminated in the second round. England only needs a tie against Sweden to advance as Group B winner.

"That record is something that, for me, has no bearing on the game," said midfielder Frank Lampard, who turns 28 on the day of the match. "It's a nice to thing to talk about, it's an interesting fact and it's something that we don't like hanging over us, but this is a one-off game that is important for us to top our group."

Both players acknowledge that England has to step up a gear. It struggled in the heat during its 1-0 victory over Paraguay, secured through an own-goal. It then took 83 minutes for England to break down the Trinidad and Tobago defense in Thursday's 2-0 win that advanced it to the second round.

"The players are desperate to improve and want to improve," Gerrard said. "We've come under a bit of criticism of late and we're taking that on board.

"We do understand that we need to start playing better quickly. I'm really confident that the further we go into this tournament, the better we'll play. We've got a lot of big players in our squad who can perform on the big stage. We won't disappoint in this tournament."

Lampard wants England to better dictate the pace of the game, something it didn't against the Soca Warriors.

"We have to up the tempo, we have to find the right times to move the ball about quickly, and sometimes playing to the strengths that we have up front," Lampard said. "When we have the ball and we move it quickly, I think we're very hard to defend against."

It helps that Wayne Rooney is back in the starting lineup. The Manchester United striker made his World Cup debut in the 58th minute against Trinidad and Tobago, not quite seven weeks after breaking a bone in his right foot. He didn't score, but the focus on him freed up other players, and he also helped provide a link from the midfield to the forwards.

"We always knew that the moment he came on, it would be a lift for the fans and the team because he's a very important player for us," Lampard said. "We have become obsessed with the Wayne Rooney situation. Now that he's fit, it's about the team."

Lurking in the round of 16 is Germany. The World Cup hosts' match against Ecuador earlier Tuesday will determine first and second place in Group A. Ecuador needs only a draw to claim the top spot on goal difference. Group B's winner plays the runner-up of Group A and vice versa.

Lampard doesn't mind who England faces.

"We will be difficult opponents for whoever," he said.

Hopefully England will beat Sweden by 2 goals and TnT will win over Paraguay. TnT will go to the last 16.

Little prayers for TnT,I wish all the best and fight like a warrior.

Offline WarriorGoal

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 05:08:56 AM »
I see nothing to get excited here. Rooney wasn't on form against TnT though he couldn't do anything against our defense whether he was fit or not. Sweden won't layabout and England will. They don't need to win this match so they will just go through the motions since they are naturally lazy players.
Soca Warriors only score Warrior goals!

Offline Trini Simply Better

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 05:53:57 AM »
Rooney is not in his form.  He will hurt England more than help.......  He needs to be kept out. It was a shame that Defoe was not chosen to be with the team.  England needs him more that Crouch in front!! Especially with Rooneys injury.

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 06:34:43 AM »
did i miss sumting? is Rooney  Pele or someting?

Babalawo Rooney is the English version of Pele. I do think the England team is sorely missing a spark. They have not been convincing in their first 2 games, even though they have 6 points. They themselves know they need to play alott better. They are hoping the ROON was the missing piece to their talented jigsaw puzlzle.......I wish him a nd England all the best against the Swedes....England have not beaten the Seedes since 1968 I think, so they need our support too...... :beermug:

1]; } ?>