March 28, 2024, 06:17:46 AM

Author Topic: Paraguayan honour vs T&T hopes  (Read 5601 times)

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Paraguayan honour vs T&T hopes
« on: June 19, 2006, 08:53:09 AM »

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Paraguayan honour vs T&T hopes
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 08:54:04 AM »
Paraguayan honour vs T&T hopes
19 June 2006
by FIFAworldcup.com

Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago head into their final match in Group B with the South American side having already been eliminated from advancement to the round of 16 after failing to take a point from their first two matches against England and Sweden despite playing tough in both 1-0 losses.
As for the Caribbean team, their tournament life is hanging by a thread with just one point to their credit. After bending without breaking to take a draw from Sweden, the Soca Warriors held off England for 82 minutes before finally relenting to the group’s seeded team.

Colours for the game
Paraguay: blue shirt, blue shorts, blue socks
Trinidad and Tobago: white shirt, white shorts, white socks

Enlarge Photo
Photo Gallery
How things stand
With no chance of reaching the final 16, Paraguay will look to be able to return home with at least some goals to their credit – Carlos Gamarra’s own goal against England is their only “score”.
T&T, meanwhile, can only tie Sweden on points and trail them by three on goal difference and will have to win convincingly and hope Sweden lose to England. If they finish even on both points and goal difference, total goals scored will be the next tie-breaker, and Sweden lead that category by one.

The duel
Roberto Acuna v Dwight Yorke
Paraguay’s Spain-based number-10 has been forced to defend and try to spark counter-attacks in their opening matching against two European sides flooded with attacking star power. Acuna will be keen to attack more and defend less against T&T, and Dwight Yorke, reincarnated now as a defensive midfielder, will once again be called on to put the clamps on the opposition’s playmaker.

Past meetings
These two teams have played twice previously, with the matches happening within three days of each other in 1989. Both games were friendlies, and both ended in draws: 2-2 on 19 March and 1-1 on 22 March.

What they are saying
Anibal Ruiz, (PAR): We will do our best in the final game and there is no chance of me putting out a team with reserve players. We need to leave with our heads held high.
Dwight Yorke, (TRI): We were supposed to be the whipping boys of this tournament and we were supposed to be out of the competition by now. But unlike five or six other teams, we’re still alive and kicking.

Offline TnTPebbles

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 08:58:38 AM »
Do or die game tomorrow. We are committed to complete the mission and pressha dem to the very end. :beermug:
Go Warriors. :D

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 09:11:08 AM »
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060616/7/7ppc.html

Ruiz: Paraguay to depart with heads held high
16 June 2006
by Reuters

Enlarge Photo
Photo Gallery
Paraguay coach Anibal Ruiz said on Friday that he was proud of his eliminated FIFA World Cup™ team and expects them to produce a solid farewell performance against Trinidad and Tobago before flying home.
The match is expected to be the last in a Paraguay shirt for long-serving captain and central defender Carlos Gamarra, 35, who confirmed after Thursday's defeat by Sweden that he is retiring from international football. He has won 109 caps.

Brushing aside questions about his future, Ruiz said none of his players had any reason for recriminations following narrow single-goal losses to England and Sweden in their Group B games.

"We will do our best in the final game and there is no chance of me putting out a team with reserve players," said the Paraguay coach. "We need to leave with our heads held high.

"We did our best and I am proud of the players, their performances and the responsibility shown."

He said he had concerns over injured defenders Carlos Bonet and Jorge Nunez but added that he expected Nunez to be fit to play against Trinidad and Tobago in Kaiserslautern on Tuesday.

Asked if Ruiz would be offered a new contract, the president of the Paraguay Football Association Oscar Harrison told reporters, "now is not the time to talk about the future -- we need to reflect before we make any decisions".

Ruiz's current deal ends after the FIFA World Cup. 

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 09:22:14 AM »
http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/article.aspx?hlid=396153&CPID=4&clid=114&lid=&title=Eriksson+wants+to+beat+Swedes

Sven Goran Eriksson is 'desperate' to beat his home nation Sweden and concedes he could play England captain David Beckham at full back for the Group B decider.

England meet Sweden in Cologne on Tuesday knowing a draw would send Eriksson's men through to the second round as group winners.

But The Three Lions have a poor record against the Swedes and have not beaten the Scandinavian country in almost 40 years.

Eriksson is aware of the history behind the match and is anxious to lead his adopted nation to victory over the country of his birth.

"I'm desperate to beat Sweden before I finish as England coach," Eriksson told The Sun.

"I really want to beat Sweden once and for all.

"It has been 38 years since an England win and it's about time we broke this long tradition."

Regarding his selection for Tuesday's match, Eriksson is toying with the idea of playing Real Madrid midfielder Beckham at right back.

With Gary Neville injured, Jamie Carragher started in that position against Trinidad & Tobago before Beckham dropped back after the introduction of Aaron Lennon.

Eriksson admits continuing with the experiment is an option under consideration, although it is unlikely to be from the start against Sweden.

He added: "David was very good there against Trinidad & Tobago.

"He would be the best wing back in football if he could learn how to play in defence.

"I will not count out that he could be playing wing back some more in this tournament.

"I have thought about playing him there, but it's a small thought."

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 10:06:20 AM »
its just like the mexico game
it boils down to who wants it more

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 12:03:17 PM »
I think Erickson would like Sweden to get to the next round, although he said he is looking forward to beating Sweden,  it's just lip service,putting Beckham at right will just wear him out as Sweden have some energizer bunnies that will run the 90 min, no problem, 'dead ball' England has a front line eager to score goals, an Erickson knows this.

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 04:05:56 PM »

http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/expert.aspx?lid=WC2006_Column_-_Phil_Thompson&hlid=396475

All Dwight on the night?
Monday 19th JunePrint this pageEmail page
Group B: Trinidad & Tobago v Paraguay
Tuesday June 20, Kick Off 8pm
Kaiserlautern

Trinidad & Tobago arrived at the World Cup with the intention of making their country proud and that's exactly what they've done.

They haven't set the tournament alight with their play but their bravery and spirit has impressed and they've been brilliantly organised by coach Leo Beenhaker. All credit to them.

It's not easy to do yourself justice at the World Cup - just look at France - and it's easy to be overawed by the opposition when it contains some of the most talented on the planet.

But Beenhaker's game plan has worked a treat for them, and whatever happens in this match they will go home as heroes. They could, of course, not be going home at all if they win.

Victory by a couple of goals, coupled with an England win in the other game, would see them through to the knockout stage. Can you imagine what the celebrations would be like in Port of Spain?!

Maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves here. If we're being honest T&T have done well for a lesser nation and have shown they no how to defend, but can they go and cut a team open?

When teams are already out of a competition they can go one of two ways - they either leave with a bang or a whimper. Paraguay, you have to say, were a bit unlucky to lose against the Swedes.

That is why I see them giving it their all in this game so that they can go home with their heads held high, and we also face the prospect of T&T having to go forward rather than just defend.

Saying that, I don't see them being reckless and attacking in sixes and sevens. They'll do what they have done so far and sit back, keep it tight and wait to pounce late on in the game.

Whether or not they can do that, I'm don't know. Yet even if they don't I can see some of their players getting their own rewards. Coaches around Europe will have taken note of them.

You never know, Dwight Yorke could be appearing in a central midfield in the Premiership or Championship next year. On his displays in Germany you have to think he's worth a punt.

Carlos Edwards, Dennis Lawrence and Brent Sancho have been solid and Chris Birchall held his own against Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard. The World Cup can change a player's career.

But this match will be an even bigger test of their credentials as Paraguay are quite savvy and the likes of Carlos Paredes and Nelson Valdez are busy players who have a go.

They haven't been great yet when people are playing for pride or their reputations it can be a strange game.

PREDICTION: ALL DWIGHT ON THE NIGHT?
Trinidad will give it their best - they have to - and Paraguay are playing for pride. So with both having something to play for I can see it being quite a good game. I see this being a draw but there won't be too many goals.
Is Thommo spot on? A 1-1 draw is 6/1 with Sky Bet! Click here for full odds!

KEY MAN: NEW YORKE
DWIGHT YORKE - Whoever gets Trinidad & Tobago's first World Cup goal will be a hero. Dwight's had a great career and you'd have to say he's been his country's greatest player. How fitting it would be if he got on the score sheet. He's done well in midfield, a new position for him, so it would cap off a decent tournament.
Is Thommo spot on? Yorke to score is 13/2 with Sky Bet! Click here for full odds!

1]; } ?>