12 (57.1%)
4th assistant consultation for all questionable decisions in play
1 (4.8%)
Additional referee's assistant behind each goal
2 (9.5%)
Leave system as is
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Technology and Football  (Read 6614 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: The debate for goal line technology
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 03:56:06 PM »
almost eveybody wants the replay option apart from FIFA .....how yuh could run de mafia with CCTV watching everyting ?

:whistling: ent
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline xixgon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 04:23:44 PM »
Goal-line technology and Video Replays should be seperate really.

There should be a system where the ref is indicated in real time whether the ball crossed the line or not.

For other incidents - there likely should be a 5th official who is looking at monitors during the game (just like ppl at home watching tv) and can tell the ref through instant replays whether a call is right or not.

Alternatively there could be a challenge system where Managers get 1 or 2 challenges per game - which limits possible stoppage time.

Barring an efficient streamlined system - there needs to be a judicious use of video technology - because there are simply too many incidents in an average game that could possibly qualify for review.

Fouls off the ball, dives that lead to free kicks or penalties, offsides, determining whether or not the ball crossed the touch-line/goal-line, handballs etc etc.

I think that in many cases the correct (or as close to correct as possible) call could be relayed quite quickly to the ref - just like us fans can see it pretty much right away in a slo-mo.

Either way - basically all of the managers want some technology introduced - clearly it's just the archaic Sep Blatter & Michel Platini that are holding such an initiative back. Till which time the game will continue to be marred by unfair decisions and results.

There would be no harm in at least trying out such a scheme in a series of friendly matches to get a feel for how it would play out in an actual match - FIFA & UEFA need to get themselves out of the stone age and entire the world of modern sports.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2009, 03:22:50 AM »
What FIFA refuse to comment on is post match video analysis with penalties attached. They can do this easily and would soon change behaviour on the pitch. If players knew that after a game evidence could be reviewed watch how quickly beahviour would change. As much as instinct plays a part (according to Henry) if he knew that after the game the incident could be subject to review and then lets say he was banned for 5 games (international games) I am sure it would change the behaviour or at least to after the handball going to the ref and saying "look nah fren I did hans de ball day" (in a french accent of course).

It would not change all behaviour but it would surely be a start..... it means too much these days with too much money involved .....I still vex with crouch for pulling Sancho hair :-)
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Views on technology in the game to prevent controversy?
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 08:25:35 AM »
So it seems that there are 2 different types of technology that is being tested in an ultimate attempt to introduce to the game...
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1049882/fa-reiterates-desire-for-goal-line-technology?cc=5901
One using an electronic chip in the ball to detect when it pass the line
the other using the familiar hawkeye (that cricket and tennis use) for line decisions, lbw etc.

What allyuh think about the introduction of technology to the game? I know for many years FIFA had a set stance of not bothering with it and maintaniing the "humanity" of the game, but it seems like they have changed now...
Which technology allyuh feel better? I feel Hawkeye is the way to go for the one simple reason that offsides are the second most controversial set of calls. Just like how they review LBW's now in cricket, I feel is high time now to review goals that are controversial...This has many advantages - the linesmen cld be more generous and allow play to continue when in doubt, cause they know the plays could be reviewed after...
Hawkeye would allow for this as well

I dont think technology shld be used just yet for other issues like fouls, penalties, hand ball etc (like how NBA and NFL review everything).

And on this topic - can anyone tell me the role of the 2 extra officials in European games, the men who stand behind the goal?

1]; } ?>