April 19, 2024, 04:15:01 PM

Author Topic: "Dwight Yorke Gets Defensive"  (Read 4752 times)

Offline goodfootball171267

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
"Dwight Yorke Gets Defensive"
« on: June 19, 2006, 02:12:52 PM »
Dwight Yorke gets defensive.
By: FIFAworldcup.com.
[/size]

“The goals have to come against Paraguay,” T&T captain Dwight Yorke told FIFAworldcup.com from the team’s home base up north in Rottenburg. But surprisingly, despite his stellar scoring record and long-time membership in the strikers’ guild, he will not be the man expected to get them. Playing as a deep-lying midfielder, distributor and all-around playmaker, the former treble winner with Manchester United is currently showing a level of surprising versatility.
After locking up his bicycle (all the T&T players ride them to and from training in an unmistakable bit of Dutch influence from coach Leo Beenhakker), the 35-year-old chatted about his new role, the fairytale Trinidadians and the need for goals against Paraguay on 20 June in Kaiserslautern.

For those of us used to watching Dwight Yorke zip around up front as an out-and-out forward, this new defensive-midfield role is something of a shock. How has the transition to this new position been and how did it come about?
It just came about as a result of playing down with Sydney FC (of the Australian Premier League) where I have been moving around quite a lot in terms of position. Sometimes I’m in midfield; sometimes I’m up front. I felt that with my experience and my knowledge of the game and being the captain it was better for me to get on the ball more and plan things out and be the dominating figure in the midfield. Sure, that means a little defending and tackling now and then, but that’s life (laughs).
My legs don’t go as fast as they used to. I just felt that it would be better than me being parked up front as a striker, although I do know I can still do a job up there. I enjoy passing the ball and creating chances for others in the team, so it’s a good fit.

Is this something you discussed with coach Beenhakker before the tournament began?
I didn’t really know what plan he had for me. I knew he had something in mind but I didn’t quite know what it was. He likes to keep control as a manager and sometimes you don’t know what he’s thinking, but you can be sure he’s thinking something good for the side. It didn’t surprise me, and for him to have so much faith in me to put me in this crucial position on such a big stage is a real compliment to me as a player.

What’s your overall opinion of the Sweden draw (0-0) and the England loss (0-2)?
Overall, we’re pretty satisfied. We knew we’d have to stay organised and patient in both games. We knew we were playing against quality opposition with so many so-called superstars. But in the Sweden game I saw a team in Trinidad & Tobago that had suddenly matured and a group of guys who wanted to do well and worked extremely hard for each other.
We took that momentum into the England game and we tried to frustrate them the same way. We managed to hold them for 83 minutes and going back over the performance in my mind I’m confident that we deserved a draw. We were a little disappointed about the result, but at the same time pretty happy about the progress.

Against Sweden, Cornell Glen hit the woodwork and in the England match Stern John’s goal-bound effort was denied at the last by a sprawling John Terry. It seems you’re getting closer to scoring – do you think the floodgates could open against Paraguay?
They have to! We have to win the game to have any glimmer of hope of getting to the second round. We were supposed to be the whipping boys of this tournament and we were supposed to be out of the competition by now. But unlike five or six other teams, we’re still alive and kicking. To know that this little team still has a chance is very exciting. We know we have to attack and we have to go for it. We have no choice but to fight and try to get our first goal.

You get Avery John back from suspension, but news has just come in that influential central defender Cyd Gray is out with a knee injury for the Paraguay game. What do you think about these developments?
It’ll be great to have Avery John back and tackling hard and it means we can push Carlos Edwards back up the wing. But to be hit with an injury to Cyd Gray who’s done such a great job for us in defence, will be a big loss. We’ll just have to soldier on like we always do and hope the new guys show what they’re capable of. You never know, a new man can rise to the occasion when given the chance.

You must sense that T&T have become Germany 2006’s sentimental favourites, yes?
It’s special really. We are a genuinely nice people and the folks here in Rottenburg and all over Germany have responded to that. We are an easygoing people and we can get along with anyone under any circumstances. The whole country has made us feel extremely welcome and it’s really all been fantastic. When you’re the underdog and such a small nation like we are and you’re putting in the kind of effort that we’ve been putting in, I can understand people wanting us to do well – we’re a fun people.

You’ve won the UEFA Champions League, the English Premiership and the FA Cup with Manchester United, where does the 0-0 draw with Sweden rank in terms of meaning for you personally?
Honestly, it’s right up there with the great achievements of my career. To be in a Trinidad & Tobago jersey makes it that little bit more special. A tiny country did a great big thing that day and I am proud to have been a part of it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 04:12:15 PM by Flex »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: "Dwight Yorke Gets Defensive"
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 02:58:01 PM »
I now reading it.

Thanks boss.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline shivadee

• Full Warrior
  • There is only ONE number 7. And its worn in Trini
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 03:35:26 PM »
nice read
Stellar performance by Yorke for the last 2 games. No doubt he going to come out strong again.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 04:42:13 PM »
Ah hope Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy plant a few seeds in T&T we, them men came back after they fack up and came back to be we best we.

They have to breed a few women in T&T and let that blood generate some young talent, because de youths in T&T now studing to buy guns and cloths, they lost.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 08:01:57 PM »
well done
we proud no matter what

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior