April 29, 2024, 03:02:32 AM

Author Topic: Looking for a silver linning.........................  (Read 2139 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Looking for a silver linning.........................
« on: June 09, 2005, 07:17:11 AM »
Work has me preoccupied at the moment and I am trying to be less conspicious with my zeal for comments.   I was not home to follow the game, my comments/refelctions are not from a position of authority but are mere thoughts/ and questions which I have conceptualized afeter reading the  postings about the game to date. As a conscientious observer, I have chosen to refrain from reacting without the emotional and  overwhelming disappointment I share with others following this loss; I would like to invite others to be analytical with me and to explore possible questions to detremine what we ought to be doing differently to achieve  better results in Round Two.

It would appear that TNT despite the loss played a meritious game. If Mexico is the measuring stick and the team that is the clear cut qualifier to this point, to be 0-0 at half time is a moral victory of sorts.

Let's reflect on the  way things are playing out. Panama held this same Mexico to a 1-1- draw. We defeated Panama. The least we should have accepted was a draw in Mexico. It did not happen; let's move on  to the next game. I noticed postings attesting to the  miscues of our goalkeeper. Well you know what? we had  similar issues in the game aganist Guatemala, and now there is a clamour for the same said keeper to  come back. Keep in mind all players  will perform at different levels aganist particular opposition. Everyone is prone to having a bad game.It's the nature of sports, The  idea is how does one bounce back and perform at a consitently high level of play? This consistency, and heighten level is needed if we do see ourselves as worthy participants in a world Cup.

Realistically, how do we match up aganist the other  teams? And given the number of players with yellow cards, who do we have in reserve to sustain our chances of qualifying? This game marks the end of the first Round!!! we have 4 points from a possible what 15?  What realistic attaniable results could we expect in Round Two?

Now that we have played all the teams, what lessons have we learned and what do we need to do differently to achieve success? If qualifying for the World Cup was that easy, every team would be on the big stage. We have to confront the brutal facts and to maximize the potential we have from our players avaliable to us at this time.

As winning breeds winning, negativity breeds negativitly. Are we part of the problem or the solution  when we utter disparaging remarks  about the team? What positives did we see from that game? If the first half was our victory how did the second half become our 'Waterloo?'  Do we need  to explore different  players in the role of 'Striker?"  What was the biggest differance in the team play aganist a weaker opponent in Panama and a stronger Mexican team? Had we played the same  kind of game as we did aganist Panama yesterday, would that have been enough to guarantee us success aganist Mexico?

My humble reflections
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 07:32:31 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a silver linning.........................
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 07:27:08 AM »
alberta good point about shaka in guatemala and i am a shaka fan
nobody said a thing-funny

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 07:35:07 AM »
AlbertaTrini.As a lover of the game you should know by now football is not Maths.Because Mexico draw with Panama and we beat Panama does not neccesarily mean we should at least draw with Mexico.Dat equation doh work.That Mexico/Pananma game was in Panama any way.Look last night USA beat Panama in Panama and lost to Mexico who draw with Panama.What yuh have to say about dat equation ?

Offline Liburd

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 08:08:43 AM »
Silver Lining:  The silver lining here is not anything to do with any one aspect of the game.   The silver lining is that out of nowhere, Trinidad was able to pull the team up by the boot straps and become a world class team!  Your goal keeper had me cursing well before the second half.   Your strikers had a badlucky day.  Yet the number 7th team in the WORLD was only able to earn one goal and was gifted one by bad goal keeping.   In fact you can say they were both due to an outta shape goal keeper who dragged his gut on the ground.  Everyone is standing up and taking notice!

Outlook:  I honestly believe that this new focused Trinidad will tear through Guatemalas defense.  For some strange reason, they don't seem to change up thir failed gameplan.  Thats a guaranteed 3 point htere.  The US game is a wash, unlike Mexico, the US team has a lot more depth so a single injured player will not dramatically effect their offense or defense.  Mexico's defensive leader was out for the game with a groin injury and it showed!  Now the COsta Rican game is a toss up because I don't see this professional touch that everyone is talking about here in the US.  They ahave to prove themselves to T&T before I can give them any respect.

PS:  I hate Mexicos Goal keeper and that arse Borgetti.  They had some particualry arrogant things to say when they beat the US, tied with Panama, and  were "preparing" for Trinidad.  I can't wait to hear the next round of excuses if the S kicks them outta the world cup again.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 08:43:04 AM »
Liburd I agree with much of what you say, but to call T&T a World Class Team at this point is stretching the statement "World Class" Ok we beat Panama but let us not forget not 4 years ago we give dem 6. We have now lost to Mexico, in Mexico but then again that was a tall order. However, what we should be talking about if we are to lay blame on an individual in a team sport is how many shots/ attacking opportunities did Mexico achieve over the entire game. This is usually a good indication of quality defending by the defense and team. If the opposition are raining in crosses and getting shots on our goal from dangerous positions, then fault lies not simply with the GK. Back to being World Class unless we can consistently take points from the dominating teams of CONCACAF, I for one cannot see how we can be classified as World Class------ Just a thought
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 08:45:54 AM »
By world class I think he means no longer being totally embarrased on the word stage.  Like we were against Guatemala (twice), Scotland, Northern Ireland, Antigua etc. etc.

Offline Liburd

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 08:59:42 AM »
Good job checking me on the "World Class".   

World class means,  can actually go to Germany and make it through a round.  In fact.  I wouldn't be suprised if TNT grabs 4th and thrashes the Asian contingient. You've always had the talent.  The new management just brought it out.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 02:12:43 PM »
Nice to see you around Alberta. I say them fellas mash yuh up or something. ;D
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 09:29:22 AM »
I am encouraged by the postings which all point to the fact that our team is improving and playing amore disciplines game. Except for the lapses, which led to goals, it appears that there are signs to indicate that we are seing an improved team effort.

Are we lacking in the attack? do we need a more prolofic striker up front?

1]; } ?>