April 19, 2024, 10:10:09 PM

Author Topic: Has anyone heard Concacaf will only be allowed 3 team at World Cup 2010  (Read 3222 times)

Offline leon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
I just read this at a BBC website a few minutes ago.

MickeyRat

Where?

Forward the link if it's true.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
It makes sense to me....with Australia going to Asia, Asia's half spot wil probly become a full spot. Or South America wil get a full and oceania and asia wil play off the half spot.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It makes sense to me....with Australia going to Asia, Asia's half spot wil probly become a full spot. Or South America wil get a full and oceania and asia wil play off the half spot.

I agree with you on this.. We will jess have to take it to USA and mexico early on when we meet again .. Fight it out for one for the 3 spots and not go through no back door again !
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile

Europe is not going to get less than 14 spots, unless something spectacularly bad happens to the European teams in the 2nd round (Portugal, Sweden, England, Germany, Netherlands, Italy/Czech, France/Switzerland, Spain, Ukraine)

The problem is that apparently FIFA is bent on giving Africa 6 or at least 5,5 spots to make up for the free spot South Africa is going to get.

The rumour mill has it that Oceania will get a half spot and that team will join the final 9 Asian(the two third placed teams in two groups of 5 will play for a fifth spot). They're either going to stay with their 4.5 or get 5. FIFA wants another china qualification bad.

South America is still complaining. At worst they'll still have 4.5 with the playoff being with the African or the oceania team

After Costa Rica's performance (and ours) if the US don't go through, we're most likely going to lose that half spot... That said, Costa Rica seems to be on the decline. They're losing a generation of players (Wanchope/Gomez/Solis/Centeno/Marin). Now would be the ideal time to hit them when they're weak and claim that third place spot for us.

That said, Honduras, Guatemala,Jamaica are all going to have something to say about that. We need to get our youth development program together.

Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
and who is to blame,fifa.cast no stones.concacaf did not perform with credibility.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That said, Honduras, Guatemala,Jamaica are all going to have something to say about that. We need to get our youth development program together.

I believe that now that T&T have gotten a taste of fooball at the highest level...and Jamaica's bitterness at failing to make the last couple of world cup finals....we could very well see a changing of the guard in CONCACAF.

Costa Rica is as you rightfully put it, on the decline..but you never know....

It doesnt matter if It sBeenhakker or some other coach..as long as a decent enough coach is brought in, good results can still be obtained.

Pesronaly, I'm very upbeat for my own team too. Already a few high profuile names have started going the rounds, John Barnes and former Brazilain player Junior the latest being linked with the job.

Honduras is due for another trip to the finals, rumor has it that they are lining up a former argentine national team coach to take th ereigns later this month....

Any of Jamaica, Trinidad and Honduras will give tremendous fight to the three big boyz....

Guatemala/Panama/El Salvador are fringe teams in my mind.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yuh could never write off Costa Rica nah, them will always be threatening.

From T&T's performances, I hope the days of damage control in Azteca are now done.

We have to start taking points from San Jose, the US and Mexico City now.

Thats the only way we could finish in the top 3.

Even if they only give us 3 spots, that aint too bad, cause we would have been aiming for the top 3 anyway.

I think now we will start WC qualification directly in the semi final round in exactly 2 years time. There are usually 3 groups of 4 in the semis, so that means that one group will have 2 world cup teams.

I think a top 3 finish for T&T is very realistic.

In CONCACAF, apart from USA and MEX, teams are very unpredictable though, so to call challengers now is premature.
Honduras, Canada, El Salvador, Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba, Panama and Guatemala will all have big dreams.
On current form, we should easily dispose of all these teams, but qualifying does not start tomorrow.
I cant wait.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pesronaly, I'm very upbeat for my own team too. Already a few high profuile names have started going the rounds, John Barnes and former Brazilain player Junior the latest being linked with the job.

You collect 6 from England and 5 from Australia and you upbeat  ??? 

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

You collect 6 from England and 5 from Australia and you upbeat ???

That man should be a politation. he does come here and talk niceness with us but real cut us up on the Jackass Fuckers Federation. board.

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
something like this shouldnt dissuade us if it true... we should be able to fight for that top 3 in the hex next time with less of a problem provided we have able players and staff... hopefully most of the team will still be available (discounting those who will retire) to add experience and what skill we have seen for the past year and our current technical staff (if not it must be better ;D)

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We should be aiming to be the no. 1 team in CONCACAF anyway. So even if there is one spot, we should be the team.

Offline The_Ice

• Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
i take it that he slightly illiterate

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We should be aiming to be the no. 1 team in CONCACAF anyway. So even if there is one spot, we should be the team.

lets be realistic. We talking about 2010 here. You don't become a number one team in a region without a decent club and youth system. We have neither one of either right now, and there is no way we will surpass Mexico/US in that department before that date.

An interesting question is that of the qualifying system to be used next 4 years. Concacaf is going to be in a bit of a bother about the semi final round. Either they seed the three top in the hex (as they should) or they seed the three top performers in the WC. Either way as someone pointed out, two WC teams will have to be in the same group. Quite frankly if the groups are as unblanced as last time around, we probably won't complain but i doubt that will happen again.

another option might be to go more the route of asian qualifications: semis will be 4 groups of 4,
finals won't be the hex but 2 groups of 4

it might look something like this after relevant playoffs

semis
MEX/GUA/SLV/SKN
USA/PAN/CUB/SVG
CRC/JAM/HAI/BAR
TNT/HON/CAN/SUR

finals
MX/CR/JAM/PAN
US/TT/GUA/HON

If we have 3 spots, the two second place play each other home and away to determine who goes SA...thats a minimum of 12 matches and a maximum of 16 (counting first playoffs and last playoffs)

Someone was suggesting a merger with South America to give the americas 8 spots total. While I know it'll never happen the 16 could be the 10 south american teams plus the 6 that would have earned their way to the hex under the new system (8 games in Concacaf plus 6 in the expanded setup = 14)

the groups might be like this. the only rules other than the 4 seeds is that there musn't be more than two concacaf teams in one group.

BRA/TNT/COL/PER
ARG/CRC/URU/CHI
MEX/PAR/JAM/VEN
US/ECU/HON/BOL
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline The_Ice

• Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades

lets be realistic. We talking about 2010 here. You don't become a number one team in a region without a decent club and youth system. We have neither one of either right now, and there is no way we will surpass Mexico/US in that department before that date.

An interesting question is that of the qualifying system to be used next 4 years. Concacaf is going to be in a bit of a bother about the semi final round. Either they seed the three top in the hex (as they should) or they seed the three top performers in the WC. Either way as someone pointed out, two WC teams will have to be in the same group. Quite frankly if the groups are as unblanced as last time around, we probably won't complain but i doubt that will happen again.

another option might be to go more the route of asian qualifications: semis will be 4 groups of 4,
finals won't be the hex but 2 groups of 4

it might look something like this after relevant playoffs

semis
MEX/GUA/SLV/SKN
USA/PAN/CUB/SVG
CRC/JAM/HAI/BAR
TNT/HON/CAN/SUR

finals
MX/CR/JAM/PAN
US/TT/GUA/HON

If we have 3 spots, the two second place play each other home and away to determine who goes SA...thats a minimum of 12 matches and a maximum of 16 (counting first playoffs and last playoffs)

Someone was suggesting a merger with South America to give the americas 8 spots total. While I know it'll never happen the 16 could be the 10 south american teams plus the 6 that would have earned their way to the hex under the new system (8 games in Concacaf plus 6 in the expanded setup = 14)

the groups might be like this. the only rules other than the 4 seeds is that there musn't be more than two concacaf teams in one group.

BRA/TNT/COL/PER
ARG/CRC/URU/CHI
MEX/PAR/JAM/VEN
US/ECU/HON/BOL

wtf man... u just come up with that???somebody using their noggin... lol... i follow it but it kinda complicated to implement currently i think unless they come up with something like that within the next few months and of course you would have the few countries who would want to oppose it... but anyway it sounds good... though i dont think we need a change

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
nah iceman..i been discussin this since 2002 qualifiers. but thanks anyway; let we just pretend i pull it out ah mih head in 2 minutes  ;D

the main problem with the concacaf/asia merger, is the money and the logistics. The easiest thing might be to have each group play in one country (most likely the seed own, and play it like a WC group stage) but it kinda eliminate all the passion of the derbies, the other south american teams won't get to see their teams play, blah blah blah

The real reason conmebol might support this is because some of them arrogant enough to feel they will get all 8 place. obviously brazil and argentina ent have nothing to gain, but some of the other teams will. Concacaf will gain much needed experience against bigger teams (not mexico though)

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
beside Korea what has asia done in this w/c to warrant their 4.5 places. if we lose our .5 place then asia should lose theirs also. Based on the results of the African teams so far would we say that they deserve 5 places?  I don't think that any of the non european confederations should lose any of their current spots. I'm tired of Europe trying to maintain their dominance of football by holding back the advancement of non european nations. In my opinion the only confederation that has a legit gripe about not enough spots is south america.

taking away spots from concacaf will not help the development of football in the region. Beside the w/c concacaf teams are rarely exposed to top level football.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
beside Korea what has asia done in this w/c to warrant their 4.5 places. if we lose our .5 place then asia should lose theirs also. Based on the results of the African teams so far would we say that they deserve 5 places?  I don't think that any of the non european confederations should lose any of their current spots. I'm tired of Europe trying to maintain their dominance of football by holding back the advancement of non european nations. In my opinion the only confederation that has a legit gripe about not enough spots is south america.

taking away spots from concacaf will not help the development of football in the region. Beside the w/c concacaf teams are rarely exposed to top level football.

Well the quantity of spots available for S.America is fair based on the number of countries in qualifying. I mean, it really make no sense to have more than half the countries being able to qualify (5/9) cause then ppl playing just to not come last, which could diminish the qualifying. The only way they could improve the number of spots is if we join them.

Another option could be,for Conmebol to have latin america in their qualifying and eventually Canada and the US and have a new confederation of the Americas. With our 3.5 and their 4.5, they could get 7 qualifiers from around 20 countries, maybe 3 groups of 6 or 7 with the first 2 going through and playoff spots after that.Then the Caribbean will get 2 1/2 spots...the winner plays oceania and the second plays either asia or another team from conmebol depending on the qualifying formats in those places. We will get 1/2 spots in the caribbean until we can prove ourselves consistently. But that may be more complicated as it would mean the CFU becoming it's own regional body, independent of Concacaf.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

1]; } ?>