April 20, 2024, 08:55:21 AM

Author Topic: Remember when?..My World Cup thoughts  (Read 9988 times)

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Remember when?..My World Cup thoughts
« on: June 20, 2006, 10:36:50 PM »
Remember when we got 5 from Guatemala?
Remember when we all cried on Nov 19?
Remember when Haiti robbed us?
Remember when Jamaica made the world cup before us although we use to always win the Shell Cup?
Remember when we had to support another country because our own was not in the big dance?
Remember when this forum was cool and men (and women) use to catch kicks and have ah good time with the small talk?

This post is going to be very long so now is yuh chance to stop reading.

This summer I am working with people from several different countries and we are all big football fans and following the world cup.  These people are from countries such as Brazil, England, France, Argentina, Nigeria, Spain, Ghana, Mexico, China, Jamaica, and Peru just to name a few.  These people from the 11 countries listed above were very impressed by the Soca Warriors.  Three things impressed them
1) Pictures I showed them of our celebrations back home after we qualified and local newspaper articles
2) My excitement over the Sweden result
3) Watching our team of low division players and bench warmers play against big players like Lampard, Gerrard, Larsson, Zlatan, Ljunberg, Cuevas, Ferdinand, Rooney, etc. and hold their own.

Some players impressed more than others.  I am not going to call names and point out men for criticism or compliments.  I firmly believe you win as a team and lose as a team. My biggest and only disappointment in the WC campaign was the qualifier against the US in Connecticut.  Drove all the way to Connecticut, broke as hell, spent money I didn't have and before I could sit down in the stadium, TNT concede a goal and proceeded to play the most amount of shit I have ever seen.  There was one positive thing that...Kelvin Jack. Otherwise the scoreline would have been at least 6-0.

Positives
1) Qualified for the world cup for the first time.
2) Smallest nation to ever qualify.
3) Did not get any blowout defeats in the world cup.
4) Did not lose our first game in the world cup, USA played 9 world cup games in Europe before they finally managed to avoid a defeat.
5) Latapy and Yorke got an opportunity to play on the big stage after they experienced Nov 19.
6) Seeing people from different countries with a big football tradition supporting us and wishing us well.

Negatives
We can all come up with negatives.Brazil won the world cup in 1994 and their fans had a lot of negative comments.  So imagine how much negative stuff we trinis can come up with after 1 draw and 2 defeats.  So I will leave the negative stuff to the ungrateful ignorant people.

In my view, fans are there for 2 reasons..1) To support 2) to offer constructive criticism.  However, some people have gone overboard.  I have played sports at a competitive level, football not being one of them (i am a small goal loafer).  I know about some of you forumites who have played football at intercol level, US college level, national youth level, etc.  So you guys have an idea about playing competitive sports and the pressure it entails.  Then there are some of you couldn't play anything at all, not even chess but here on this forum criticizing players like you have any experience in playing serious sports.  I am not saying don’t offer constructive criticism but think before you post especially when you can’t even trap a ball (referring to certain men I know who surprisingly criticizes the most, the guys I know play serious football are not as critical..very interesting).

My point is none of us have played at World Cup level.  We don't know what it feels like to run out on a field in front of large crowds and play against guys who make more money in a week than you make in a year.
Some of us don't understand what is like to train everyday and play competitive sports and undergo continuous criticism from fans.

Leo Beenhakker has been demoted from genius to a sell out coach.  Personally, I did not agree with several decisions.  Decisions such as not playing Latapy, selecting Theobald, selecting Wise, and replacing Shaka today were a bit strange.  However, he did a few things that no other coach have done for us.  He qualified us for the World Cup and we held Sweden to a draw when most people expected us to get blowout.

Personally looking at that these guys play leading up to the WC, I expected 3 losses and about 9-10 goals conceded.  Not that I didn't believe in them or wasn't supporting them but it was based on what I was seeing and accustom to.  True we did not score but we only conceded 4 goals and got 1 point.  Beenhakker is human, so he must make mistakes.  I am sure he and the players as well wished they had done certain things differently.

Some of you acting like we could have won the WC or even qualify for the second round.  Qualifying for the 2nd round was possible but highly unlikely.  It was nice to play the 3rd game and still have a chance of qualifying but honestly speaking, we didn't have much of a chance before the WC started.  The good thing is these players gave their best and hopefully they will realize that they are capable of competing with the big teams. 

Now we need to build on this.  Maintain the positive stuff (strengths) and improve the negatives (weaknesses). I hope all you local people flood the airport when the team returns home and give them a warm welcome, make them feel they won the world cup.  We need to reestablish our dominance in the Caribbean and challenge Mexico, USA and Costa Rica for Concacaf supremacy.

P.S.  I am taking a hiatus from posting till the dust settles on this forum.  Too much cussing and disrespect going on.  Man talking about people mother and all kinda real madness.  I will just read and try to enjoy.

I feel I just break Alberta Trini record for longest post ever..sorry about that.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 09:26:20 AM by real madness »

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
Re: Remember when?..My World Cup thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 10:45:49 PM »
Remember when we got 5 from Guatemala?
Remember when we all cried on Nov 19?
Remember when Haiti robbed us?
Remember when Jamaica made the world cup before us although we use to always win the Shell Cup?
Remember when we had to support another country because our own was not in the big dance?
Remember when this forum was cool and men (and women) use to catch kicks and have ah good time with the small talk?

This post is going to be very long so now is yuh chance to stop reading.

This summer I am working with people from several different countries and we are all big football fans and following the world cup.  These people are from countries such as Brazil, England, France, Argentina, Nigeria, Spain, Ghana, Mexico, China, Jamaica, and Peru just to name a few.  These people from the 11 countries listed above were very impressed by the Soca Warriors.  Three things impressed them
1) Pictures I showed them of our celebrations back home after we qualified and local newspaper articles
2) My excitement over the Sweden result
3) Watching our team of low division players and bench warmers play against big players like Lampard, Gerrard, Larsson, Zlatan, Ljunberg, Cuevas, Ferdinand, Rooney, etc. and hold their own.

Some players impressed more than others.  I am not going to call names and point out men for criticism or compliments.  I firmly believe you win as a team and lose as a team. My biggest and only disappointment in the WC campaign was the qualifier against the US in Connecticut.  Drove all the way to Connecticut, broke as hell, spent money I didn't have and before I could sit down in the stadium, TNT concede a goal and proceeded to play the most amount of shit I have ever seen.  There was one positive thing that...Kelvin Jack. Otherwise the scoreline would have been at least 6-0.

Positives
1) Qualified for the world cup for the first time.
2) Smallest nation to ever qualify.
3) Did not get any blowout defeats in the world cup.
4) Did not lose our first game in the world cup, USA played 9 world cup games in Europe before they finally managed to avoid a defeat.
5) Latapy and Yorke got an opportunity to play on the big stage after they experienced Nov 19.
6) Seeing people from different countries with a big football tradition supporting us and wishing us well.

Negatives
We can all come up with negataives.Brazil won the world cup in 1994 and their fans had a lot of negative comments.  So imagine how much negative stuff we trinis can come up with after 1 draw and 2 defeats.  So I will leave the negative stuff to the ungrateful ignorant people.

In my view, fans are there for 2 reasons..1) To support 2) to offer constructive criticism.  However, some people have gone overboard.  I have played sports at a competitive level, football not being one of them (i am a small goal loafer).  I know about some of you forumites who have played football at intercol level, US college level, national youth level, etc.  So you guys have an idea about playing competitive sports and the pressure it entails.  Then there are some of you couldn't play anything at all, not even chess but here on this forum criticizing players like you have any experience in playing serious sports.  I am not saying don’t offer constructive criticism but think before you post especially when you can’t even trap a ball (referring to certain men I know who surprisingly criticizes the most, the guys I know play serious football are not as critical..very interesting).

My point is none of us have played at World Cup level.  We don't know what it feels like to run out on a field in front of large crowds and play against guys who make more money in a week than you make in a year.
Some of us don't understand what is like to train everyday and play competitive sports and undergo continuous criticism from fans.

Leo Beenhakker has been demoted from genius to a sell out coach.  Personally, I did not agree with several decisions.  Decisions such as not playing Latapy, selecting Theobald, selecting Wise, and replacing Shaka today were a bit strange.  However, he did a few things that no other coach have done for us.  He qualified us for the World Cup and we held Sweden to a draw when most people expected us to get blowout.

Personally looking at that these guys play leading up to the WC, I expected 3 losses and about 9-10 goals conceded.  Not that I didn't believe in them or wasn't supporting them but it was based on what I was seeing and accustom to.  True we did not score but we only conceded 4 goals and got 1 point.  Beenhakker is human, so he must make mistakes.  I am sure he and the players as well wished they had done certain things differently.

Some of you acting like we could have won the WC or even qualify for the second round.  Qualifying for the 2nd round was possible but highly unlikely.  It was nice to play the 3rd game and still have a chance of qualifying but honestly speaking, we didn't have much of a chance before the WC started.  The good thing is these players gave their best and hopefully they will realize that they are capable of competing with the big teams. 

Now we need to build on this.  Maintain the positive stuff (strengths) and improve the negatives (weaknesses). I hope all you local people flood the airport when the team returns home and give them a warm welcome, make hem feel they won the world cup.  We need to reestablish our dominance in the Caribbean and challenge Mexico, USA and Costa Rica for Concacaf supremacy.

P.S.  I am taking a hiatus from posting till the dust settles on this forum.  Too much cussing and disrespect going on.  Man talking about people mother and all kinda real madness.  I will just read and try to enjoy.

I feel I just break Alberta Trini record for longest post ever..sorry about that.

wham boy yuh take some ah meh angostura  bitters ...yuh right  cuss dem out  :rotfl: :rotfl: .....but seriously ,very well said !!
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Source

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 11:51:43 PM »
It's all about perspective.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 12:50:43 AM »
Wonderful post. :notworthy:

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 02:12:31 AM »
Real, i wish de men in charge ah dis forum, could remove all post and just leave only dis one up-at least for a day, so when men come here all dey see is dis one to make them stop and think....like another man reply say, it's all about perspective.....well thought out and written man, bless
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 02:27:27 AM »
Long but really good, cheers breddar  :beermug:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 02:30:39 AM by Compre »

Offline morgz

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 02:30:52 AM »
I don't believe that many of us could put it much better than you did

a lot of people went around singing "win lose or draw I am a fighter"

well we draw 1 and lost 2 and all the fakers and posers show they true colors is alright to be hurt but what does it solve taking it out on the team
now is the time for all of us to show that true warrior spirit that captivated the world usa and most of these so called better teams could not even attain such a feat

GREAT post and well done to all the true warriors

VIBES IT UP

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 07:38:05 AM »
Excellent post Sir.  :applause:

Offline Lstat

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 07:45:23 AM »
Excellent post! It's all about baby steps, and the team is moving in the right direction. I have always supported them, and will contiue to lose my voice every single game the warriors play! I never scream at a tv screen as much as I did yesterday. All the best to the future of the players and the coaching staff of the T&T team. I am still in awe at this tiny twin island Republic that made it all the way to the World Cup........amazing!!!!!! Dwight, Shaka, Latas and Marvin, we will always remember your contribution to this outstanding effort, thank you, and thank you again to the whole team.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 07:55:04 AM »
Blessings - Brother

POST Of The Year.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 08:30:40 AM »
One of the best posts I have read in a while.

All we ever really wanted is for the boys to qualify for the WC and give their best and make us proud.

If that is your criteria to judge, then the T&T Warriors come though with an A Grade.

Most teams first time out at the WC results in humbling defeats.

It is human nature to be sad when you dont win, but even if we had won, and we get licks from Germany in the next round, we woulda fn some other reason to cuss and be vex.

I proud of the boys, and I proud of my country.

I hope we dont turn into an ALSO RAN for future WC qualifying tournaments, like El Salvador, Jamaica, Canada and Honduras. That should be our main aim.
Then we will concentrate on scoring and getting to the second round in the finals....It take about 40 years just to qualify, we could wait another 4 to try to get to the next level.
Congrats to Paraguay, they showed they are a better team than us.
Congrats to Sweden and England, undoubtedly the top 2 teams in the group.

Offline torontotrinikey

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 09:59:29 AM »
GREAT POST

I just posted in the congrats thread, i had to register to vent my anger at something i heard on i95.5. I too hope the flood the airport in support.

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 10:04:35 AM »
I agree 100%, you will never be able to please people...they love yuh when u hottt and dey hate yuh and criticizin yuh when u nottt...eg Stern, Ronaldo, Shaka etc..

It's time we learn to support our guys through thick and thin...dats one of the reasons i llove this forum,,we have real supporters who would offer constructive criticism but support the guys die hard (although we have a lot of pretenders and waggonists in our midst as well) 
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline fire

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 10:45:12 AM »
Very good post...we should all be proud of the warriors and their fighting spirit..we have done well and T&T should be proud of their achievements!  On to 2010.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 11:15:16 AM »
Good post...

Everybody will have their points of criticism now...both good and bad...but hindsight is always 20/20.  Only after the fact man go talk how we shoulda do this and we shoulda do that.

More importantly now, is where do we go from here and how do we build on the relative successes of this team.  How can we in our limited capacities help to ensure that T&T are in fact represented in WC 2010.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline lihalquay

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 11:39:31 AM »
Good post...

Everybody will have their points of criticism now...both good and bad...but hindsight is always 20/20. Only after the fact man go talk how we shoulda do this and we shoulda do that.

More importantly now, is where do we go from here and how do we build on the relative successes of this team. How can we in our limited capacities help to ensure that T&T are in fact represented in WC 2010.

Also who is going to put their money where there mouth is.

Offline Yellowman

• Jr. Warrior
  • Warrior 4 Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 11:46:29 AM »
Man I enjoyed your post!!

I couldn't have put it in words any better...

This post make my day...respect!!
Trinidad & Tobago in the 2006 World Cup Finals?...Impossible Is Nothing...

Offline biciwolf

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 01:20:27 PM »
Dear Warriors,

i'm a german supporter and have the great pleasure to see TnT for the very first time yesterday in Kaiserslautern.

You must be adviced that mostly the german crowd is absolutely with you and your team.

We are very glad to have you here and enjoyed the contacts to the lovely supporters of the soca warriors.

I think you can be absolutely proud about your team.

regards from germany,
Lothar
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 02:06:26 PM by biciwolf »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 02:28:03 PM »
Dear Warriors,

i'm a german supporter and have the great pleasure to see TnT for the very first time yesterday in Kaiserslautern.

You must be adviced that mostly the german crowd is absolutely with you and your team.

We are very glad to have you here and enjoyed the contacts to the lovely supporters of the soca warriors.

I think you can be absolutely proud about your team.

regards from germany,
Lothar

Thanks very much Lothar.  You and all Germans we encountered were very gracious and hositable to our team and supporters.

Respeck!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline ZURITRESS

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 02:30:47 PM »
my fellow country man with this post you have displayed the same spirit and charactar as our soca warriors and for that much respect. we have always been blessed with talent in all areas but have fallen short on the  mental aspect as alot of the post that are showing up now confirms. as a man you have my respect ,as a trinibagonain i honur you by saving this post to remind me that i'm A WARRIOR , WIN, LOSE or DRAW i will stay a fighter because trinidad is where i was born and where we all belong              
guidance to all on this board, please think before you post[/center]

Offline shivadee

• Full Warrior
  • There is only ONE number 7. And its worn in Trini
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 03:49:53 PM »
a brilliant post....BRILLIANT. I dont think anything else needs to be said

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 03:52:15 PM »
well said,could not agree more

*sexytrini2dabone*

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 04:19:13 PM »
I just joined this forum and i your post is awesome, i agree with you 100%. Well said sir, well said ..... :)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 05:56:22 PM »
This is the thread of this forum , post trini exit. this man make me feel porud to call my self ah trini. thank good we have level headed intelligent individuals in here. bless up man.  :beermug:
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 08:10:54 PM »
wow that opening post was long... but u have a point... great post there we would do more wonders in 2010

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 08:34:36 PM »
I left T&T in 1972 and have only returned twice since then.  As a part time football fan I have to admit that my interest only picks up during the Eurocup and World Cup.  I do not follow the game-to-game activity of the national teams (including Canada where I live).  When I heard that T&T had qualified, I was thrilled.  In the months preceding the Finals, I began to feel a sense of T&T patriotism that I knew I had never lost but until now, had not realized how strong it was.  I joined this forum recently and began to learn more about the Warriors and was somewhat taken back by many of the nasty comments that were made after the England game.  Nevertheless, this forum allowed me to become part of the T&T football community, something that I never experienced before.

T&T was never given a good chance of playing well against the other teams in Group A, much less getting out of Group A.  But the spirit the team displayed told me that there is much more to the game than winning.  They have my respect and they have my gratitude for helping me remember that Trinidad and Tobago is still a part of me.

"real madness", thanks for staring this thread.  Hopefully, some people will read it and re-evaluate their thoughts.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 08:54:49 PM »
1 Country, 1 People, 1 Game.  No one could have done it any better, I wish all the Warriors the best and we look forward to supporting you in the next world cup.  All is not lost and we have a solid base to build on(after so many years of not having a leg to stand on).  All de true footballers will be here waiting and counting down the time we could unite under one banner.  Soca Warrior forever.   :beermug: :applause:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Karasi

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 09:20:34 PM »
Long but very balanced and worth the read.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2006, 03:41:47 AM »
I left T&T in 1972 and have only returned twice since then.  As a part time football fan I have to admit that my interest only picks up during the Eurocup and World Cup.  I do not follow the game-to-game activity of the national teams (including Canada where I live).  When I heard that T&T had qualified, I was thrilled.  In the months preceding the Finals, I began to feel a sense of T&T patriotism that I knew I had never lost but until now, had not realized how strong it was.  I joined this forum recently and began to learn more about the Warriors and was somewhat taken back by many of the nasty comments that were made after the England game.  Nevertheless, this forum allowed me to become part of the T&T football community, something that I never experienced before.

T&T was never given a good chance of playing well against the other teams in Group A, much less getting out of Group A.  But the spirit the team displayed told me that there is much more to the game than winning.  They have my respect and they have my gratitude for helping me remember that Trinidad and Tobago is still a part of me.

"real madness", thanks for staring this thread.  Hopefully, some people will read it and re-evaluate their thoughts.
We was in group B
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Latent

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2006, 07:21:13 AM »
Nice post

1]; } ?>