April 19, 2024, 09:11:21 AM

Author Topic: Exclusive Interview with TTFF TD Lincoln Phillips Part 3.  (Read 11545 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Exclusive Interview with TTFF TD Lincoln Phillips Part 3.
« on: June 21, 2006, 03:20:17 PM »
Exclusive Interview with TTFF TD Lincoln Phillips.
Interview Conducted By Flex Mohammed.
[/size]

1. Is this your first world cup you have been to and, how is the experience this far.
LP: This is my second world cup experience. I was part of the Technical Study Group for the US in the 1994 world cup. Prior to that I wroked with then US coach Bora Milutinovic as the goalkeeper coach during the US team's preparation for the cup.

2. Do you think we are capable of completing the job against Paraguay.
LP: Yes, but this will most likely be our most difficult game. Sweden and England have similar styles and our players are familiar with and respond well to the style of play offered by our first two opponents. However, the Latin American style of quick combination passing has posed problems for us in the past. Fortunately, Leo's exposure to this style of play will enable him to adjust and prepare the team accordingly.

3. Where in your mind did you think we went wrong versus England, especially since we had the game under control a bit.
LP: I don't think we went wrong. I think Eriksson's decision to bring on Rooney was a huge statement that spoke volumes about our performance. For 83 minutes a lot went right, but for the referee not seeing the awful infraction Crouch committed on Sancho, we would likely be talking about another point. Leo planned and the players executed an open game with a 4-4-2 system. While I can't be completely happy because we did after all lose the match, I am very proud of the display as well as the spirit we brought to the two games. But it is far from over, the second round is still a very real possibility and to me this moment is something we must build upon.

4. Many felt that Russell Latapy should have been given a run against both Sweden and especially England. Do you agree.
LP: No. Leo is not infallable, but the truth of the matter is that he is around the players and assessing their state of readiness in order to determine how each player will fit into his game plan. No one outside the camp has the necssary information to make such a decision and there are very few who are experienced enough in technical matters to determine who should start, who should play, etc. So as a technical person I understand Leo's personnel decisions in both games.

5. How important is keeping Leo Beenhakker and Wim Rijsbergen as head coach and assistant of the T&T (teams).
LP: Even before Leo and Wim came on board, In 2004 I presented in my coaching and player development plan that we must look to adopt the Dutch approach as quickly as possible. Keeping Leo and Wim is consistent with my plan and the vast improvement of our team has shown under their guidance speaks for itself. But we must be mindful that the Dutch influence that I favor does not mean Dutch dominence. Our local coaches must be given the opportunity to learn from coaches such as Leo and Wim so that Trinidad and Tobago can eventually become an exporter of coaching talent rather than an importer.

6. Brian Haynes name keeps popping up, is he being considered to be a future coach of the T&T youth team.
LP: Brian and other former T&T internationals who have also developed their coaching pedigrees abroad are being seriously considered for our national teams. Brian has a USSF A badge, was an assistant coach with FC Dallas in MLS, and has worked extensively within the youth system in Dallas which is one of the best in the US. We also have some local coaches with international experience who can also play a role in our national programs. Our players must be exposed to modern methods of coaching on every level of play; from club to Primary and Secondary Schools and especially our national programs. All of our Head Coaches must have the ability to convey such methods. As we speak, the TTFF Technical Committee has adopted my recommendations of a coaching criteria that includes successful touchline as well as playing experience.

7. After the 2006 world cup, what's the next step for T&T, where do we go from here, are we planning for 2010 already, I know your aim is 2014 for all teams, but is 2010 being taken serious as any.
LP: 2010 is a major and vital part of the journey. The mission of GOAL 2014 is to have all our national teams qualify for FIFA tournaments by the year 2014. There is a plan in place that I have developed along with the Technical Committee. It is vital that the plan approved by the TTFF and government is implemented so we can build upon our 2006 campiagn. Make no mistake, the 2006 World Cup is not going to be a "one and done" appearence. Hopefully, the necessary support will be forthcoming from government and corporate sectors in order for us to provide the needed resources for our players and administrators. I would also add that a major resource which will enable Trinidad and Tobago to perform consistently well on the international stage is a national residency academy.

8. Now it seems we are getting a lot of interest from foreign born men and women players wanting to represent T&T, how will you be assessing this. Do you have a hotline set up, how will you go about weeding out the good ones or evaluating them, will you have coaches set-up in the UK, North America and T&T every quarter to evaluate our teams there and the possible foreign born players.
LP: We have already started compiling a database of players as young as 13 years who have T&T parentage and currently playing abroad. Through the assistance of a network of coaches, agents, and socawarriors.net, we have identified a number of players already. But more must be done to uncover additional players. However, it must be stated that eligible players must have within them the hunger and desire to be a model professional as well as acknowledge the significance and honor of wearing the national shirt. This profile must be permanent characteristic of a T&T national team player.

9. What's your role exactly as Technical Director as it seems your name never comes up when a big event is happening. Do you feel you get the support both financially and collectively to do or, continue to do your job. Or did I miss something.
LP: Flex, my role is to bring what I call "IdEaS" to the national programs. Meaning that under my portfolio, I help to;

(A) Identify players who can represent our national teams.

(B) Expose coaches and players to programs and resources that will improve their abilities. This includes sending them to workshops, camps, and seminars abroad as well as bringing the best possible practioners to T&T so our football family will be exposed to best practice methods and pedagogy.

(C) And bring a scientific approach to the game to stress the importance of implementing nutrition, physiological, and mental well-ness programs so our players will have every possible opportunity to perform to the best of their abilities at the highest level.
As for the level of support I have received, the truth of the matter is whatever slights and marginalization I have endured have been addressed. This entire experience of having a technical director has been a new one for our country and the role has not always been understood or even appreciated. In addition, I had to re-adjust to T&T society after being away for 30 years.  However, one thing we must do not only in our football but in our community in general is treat each other with a higher level of respect and not take our abilities and accomplishments for granted. We are a very blessed and talented people and this should be acknowledged most importantly by us.

10. Any thing else you want the T&T fans/public to know about your role, your plans, your programs or anything else you would like to share with us.
LP: An administrative and technical staff will be coming on board to join me and current my staff of two people and a handful of volunteers. The inclusion of more staff will mean the outlined programs will be implemented and executed. This is a tremendously important accomplishment. The success of our team in two games has resulted in a tremendous level of international goodwill. Everybody I have met while in Germany have embraced and admired the Soca Warriors. I even got word that Bruce Arena used our performances as inspiration for his players in preparation for the US/Italy game. Imagine that just two weeks ago he and many others were insulting us by saying we would be the weakest team in the tournament and now we are a source of inspiration. But Flex, I want everyone to know that we haven't reached, the journey has just begun. Blessings to you and all who have made this such a great experience.

Thank You...
Lincoln Phillips.

Note:
On behalf of the Soca Warriors Online I just what to say Thank You to Mr. Lincoln Phillips for taking the time to do this interview for us. Please keep up the great work you are doing and we all wish you all the best for the future of T&T football...

18-Jun-2006.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 07:00:00 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Exclusive Interview with TTFF TD Lincoln Phillips Part 3.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 03:54:57 PM »
yeah man lincon thanks fuh taking de time to keep us informed

flex :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 05:59:09 PM »
GREAT INTERVIEW FLEX!  Think this is your best so far.

Maximum Respect to Mr. Phillips.  A man who works tirelessly in the background with the aim of the betterment of T&T football.

Just hope some of the usual suspects don't look to sabotage his efforts as they have already tried to do in the past.

Keep up the great work Mr. Phillips!!!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 06:33:03 PM »
Excellent interview Flex and ah ent just saying that. Your questions were on point and it allowed an intelligent person as Lincoln to address each question with much detail.

Keep up the good work breds :chilling:

If yuh could Flex....it would be a good idea I think to add the dates/times your interviews are conducted as reference. I know this was before the Paraguay game but for future interviews I think it would be good to add.

Again great work
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 09:52:34 PM by Trinimassive »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 08:51:07 PM »
Flex and Lincoln,
 Thank you for your leadership, class and great concern and love for Trinidad and Tobago football. This interview is an example of why this site is as popular as it is. EXCELLENCE
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 09:59:23 PM »
Good work Flex.....and Mr Phillips. We could do with the whole of TTFF being like you. At least yuh eh suffering from mypoia like de rest of dem......and i hope wha you have contagious so dem go get it too.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 10:14:27 PM »
Well spoken Mr Phillips and thanks Flex for the interview. Another example why this site is the #1 supporter site :beermug:

Lincoln on the right track, he have plenty experience and I know he have the well being of the team in mind. Development is key to sustain longevity. As we get a taste of the BIG dance, I wah see my BOYZ often  ;D I get accustom hearing the commentators mangle SOCA WARRIORS I almost miss it , no yet though ;D

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 02:53:52 AM »
BOSS INTERVIEW FLEX......

I like this quote a lot..........  "I would also add that a major resource which will enable Trinidad and Tobago to perform consistently well on the international stage is a national residency academy"

Lincoln has always take time out to do interview for us here and that is very nice.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 09:26:36 AM »
Well done flex, I would really like to see us develop our player pool. We have a solid core of World Cup veterans to go into the next campaign and this can only inspire up and coming players to raise their game.

We should start inviting scouts to view as well as coach in the school leagues, where we first got our glimpse of the HISLOPS' LATAS' AND YORKES'. Get them while they are young and groom them to international standards

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 11:11:26 AM »
Great interview Flex,
I wonder about two things. Why does Lincoln seem to be the odd man out when it comes to T&T football?
Talk is cheap.Execution is needed to get things done. We in T&T love to talk we will see what happens in six months.

Marc
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline ffreturns

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 12:07:15 PM »
Lincoln Phillips is full ah sh** back in 89 he was bashing Galley Cummings for not wanting to play both Yorke and Latapy at the same time and how Galley made so much mistakes and now that Beenhacker doing the same thing he supporting the coach he's full ah sh**.

Offline Yellowman

• Jr. Warrior
  • Warrior 4 Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 12:07:27 PM »
Thanks for the interview Flex...

Thanks for keeping us informed!!
Trinidad & Tobago in the 2006 World Cup Finals?...Impossible Is Nothing...

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 12:58:43 PM »
Flex it would be interesting to hear comments from Angus Eve, Rougier, Leonson Lewis about the Warriors performance

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 03:41:24 PM »
Well I agree to a point, we need to see some action, what I also understand is that Lincoln does not get the support he needs or else I am sure we would have seen some action by now, remember he cannot come out and say anything that could affect his position or job, de man real love his work, but the TTFF members like Gorden and Corneal does buss he throat, I surprise Lincoln eh leave that wok yet.

Good interview Flex boy....

Lincoln have my support, the only thing I ask is that he needs to get tough, because man will try to cut him down and you dont want all your hard work get credited by another man, he have to get more balls and stamp his authority and just go out there and do your thing.

2010 qualifiers his closer than we think, 2 years is slim to build a good team, so we must start now and make use of our time.

About the game vs Paraguay, our coach mess up and our players played with low confidence, soon as we concede a goal we head does drop one time, we does just lose it, like they dont have faith in they team mates or ability. Paraguay build confidence when they realise how easy it was to beat T&T after we just give up after de first 5mins. Beenhakker made bad selection and bad subs during the entire world cup, he bring alot to us, but his loyalty to some players cost we even a tie vs Paraguay. We playing to flat man, we need some creativity, flair, confidence to shoot and to play faster, we to slow as a team, we have some big hard back creole on de team and they making them lil spanish Paraguay man roughing them up, come on man... play like yuh sure, allyuh watch Ivory Coast and Ghana and learn something man, when is time to step up, step up, allyuh did great vs England and Sweden, what de hell happen to Paraguay a team everybody was hoping to take points from....

I was also a bit dissappointed in Evans Wise, Samuel is much better. Even Scotland would have done better.

Yorke should have stick to defensive midfield and Brichall need to build some speed BAD !!!!

Latapy is just class, even if its for 15 mins...

Edwards was my best player in the world cup.

Stern needed support to score, but he did ok.

Gray, Yorke, Shaka and Sancho was class to, who ever blame Sancho for that own goal should get shot.

Say what, I still love de team and big up T&T !!!!!!

PS: ffreturns,,,,, Lincoln and Beenhakker works for the same team how do you expect him to bash Densill father Beenhakker, you have to remember also that Beenhakker took us to the world cup, that was bigger that Gally 10 million times. We have to be grateful to Beenhakker, but I agree to a point, his selection and subs was NOT up to par, maybe their was something behind de scenes went on and we didn't know, Whitley, Samuel, Latapy, Scotland and Edwards was the men to really make T&T pull through up front.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 05:00:21 PM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline mr.talented

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 08:47:24 PM »
i really hope they keep the momentum going...it will hurt if we fall back now...

"you could change your religion,your sex and everything else but not your football club"

Offline whayuhsay

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 10:07:06 PM »
Phillips remind meh ah Condi Rice kissin George Bush arse...

[/size]

4. Many felt that Russell Latapy should have been given a run against both Sweden and especially England. Do you agree.
LP: No. Leo is not infallable, but the truth of the matter is that he is around the players and assessing their state of readiness in order to determine how each player will fit into his game plan. No one outside the camp has the necssary information to make such a decision and there are very few who are experienced enough in technical matters to determine who should start, who should play, etc. So as a technical person I understand Leo's personnel decisions in both games.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 11:49:32 PM »
Phillips remind meh ah Condi Rice kissin George Bush arse...

[/size]

:rotfl:

Boy yuh make it over here too.

Yuh sure yuh not bout 5 ft 7in, weigh bout 100 lbs holding ah 5 pound bag ah sugar, and have ah Ras

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 06:00:30 AM »
Excellent piece Flex !!!!!

Now lets see some action Mr Phillips... the world cup is over, back to business ! and I hope we dont start hot and then fade or forget our aim. We know 4 years in advance when is the next world cup, so no excuse, 2010.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 06:05:29 AM by Flex »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 01:00:07 PM »
Regarding question number 4, every player should be ready once called upon, this is what we trained for and this is why the coach pick these players, because they are ready and able. Latapy should have been use in all 3 games, even if it was a 10mins sweat. The friendly games and world cup qualifiers revealed plenty, why change now ? How come Theoblad was benching all this time and all of a sudden he starting every game for T&T and not even making an impact.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:01:22 PM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>