March 29, 2024, 05:08:34 AM

Author Topic: Jloyd Samuel-Represented England?  (Read 5759 times)

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jloyd Samuel-Represented England?
« on: June 09, 2005, 09:14:40 AM »
www.soccernet.com

3 - Jlloyd Samuel 
Club: Aston Villa

Shirt Number: 3

Position: Defender

Date of Birth: March 29, 1981

Birthplace: Trinidad

Height: 5' 11''

Weight: 11.4

Seen as a star of the future at Aston Villa, JLloyd came through the YTS trainee scheme and was given his first professional contract at the beginning of the 1999/2000 season.
He made his first appearances in the first team at the end of the season as cover for Gareth Southgate, but is comfortable anywhere across the back four. His debut came in a 5-0 thrashing of Chester City in the League Cup.

The defender made a handful of further appearances before joining First Division Gillingham on loan in October 2001. He played eight games for the Gills.

On his return he finally earned a run in the Villa first team. Although he may have looked green at times, the England Under-21 international showed enough promise to keep a player like Alan Wright out of the side.

His performances earned him an extended contract at Villa Park.

Samuel only missed out on the European Under-21 Championships due to a groin injury.

He became a regular under Graham Taylor in the 2002/03 campaign, although he looked far from assured in the Premiership.

When David O'Leary took over in the summer of 2003 there were doubt about his long-term future at Villa Park, but how silenced the critics.

The Trinidadian player was one of the best left-backs in the Premiership in 2003/04, picking up his first full England cap in the friendly with Sweden in March.
His driving style and willingness to get forward is very similar to Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge although he remains behind them in the England pecking order.

He signed a new Villa contract in November of the season, keeping him at the club until 2007. He also made his 100th Villa appearance that term.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jloyd Samuel-Represented England?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 09:16:15 AM »
I saw in another post that somebody said that Lincoln and dem planning to contact Samuel.  However according to his profile (www.soccernet.com) he represented England at the senior level. 

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 09:34:57 AM »
Although Jloyd Samule reprsented England at senior level it was not a FIFA sanctioned game and he is therefore still eligible to reprsent T&T. However I highly doubt he would make such a move as he'll still hold out for call up for the England squad, his agents & Aston Villa will no doubt pound this into his head. Bobby Zamora is also still eligible but as he's back in the Prem with West Ham, he too would give us a look. I don't know if I'd want any Johnny come lately on the team WHEN we qualify. Even if T&T gets 4th, I think we can beat Kuwait, Bharain or Uzbekistan.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 09:35:40 AM »
I saw in another post that somebody said that Lincoln and dem planning to contact Samuel.  However according to his profile (www.soccernet.com) he represented England at the senior level. 

How much times ah must post this!!!!! He never made it off the bench in that game!!!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=147163&cc=3888

8 subs were made... he wasnt one
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 09:36:26 AM »
Although Jloyd Samule reprsented England at senior level it was not a FIFA sanctioned game and he is therefore still eligible to reprsent T&T. However I highly doubt he would make such a move as he'll still hold out for call up for the England squad, his agents & Aston Villa will no doubt pound this into his head. Bobby Zamora is also still eligible but as he's back in the Prem with West Ham, he too would give us a look. I don't know if I'd want any Johnny come lately on the team WHEN we qualify. Even if T&T gets 4th, I think we can beat Kuwait, Bharain or Uzbekistan.

yuh talking too-too it was a fifa sanctioned game.. but he never played...

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 09:40:25 AM »

yuh talking too-too it was a fifa sanctioned game.. but he never played...

hahahahahahahahhaa   :D

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 09:40:53 AM »
Thanks FF....

It was a FIFA sanctioned game, if he had played he would not be able to represent us.  I doubt those guys interested in representing us unless we qualify.  Like how all dem English Jamicans suddenly appear after Jamica qualify.  I have no problem with giving Samuel and Zamora ah chance but they must do it before the qualifiers done and not after we qualify.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 09:44:40 AM »
I doubt those guys interested in representing us unless we qualify.  Like how all dem English Jamicans suddenly appear after Jamaica qualify.  I have no problem with giving Samuel and Zamora ah chance but they must do it before the qualifiers done and not after we qualify.

See dis post: http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=1498.msg9217#msg9217
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 09:47:13 AM »
Thanks FF....

It was a FIFA sanctioned game, if he had played he would not be able to represent us.  I doubt those guys interested in representing us unless we qualify.  Like how all dem English Jamicans suddenly appear after Jamica qualify.  I have no problem with giving Samuel and Zamora ah chance but they must do it before the qualifiers done and not after we qualify.

I disagree.  Look how Birchall (de white boy) come in the mix in the middle of the Hex and conducting it nice in the center.  We need all the help we could get.  J'Lloyd would possibly solve the left midfield problem we have now, and could play left back too.  Zamora is a blessing to any side, far less one in CONCACAF.

Beenie, approach them men one time.  Tony Warner too.  We have plenty games to see what they can add (Gold Cup).  

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 09:51:26 AM »
They must do it now then... because we have as good as chance as '73 and '89.I think both men can contribute.Zamora with that speed up front and Samuel with that trouble left back position.
I remember when we were first persuing Zamora a few years ago his father was all for it and coaxing him to play for Trini.But them blasted Englishmen put thing in his head how he will be a star for England soon.Well soon never came.I know it is every footballer's dream to play World Cup just ask Deon Burton and dem.  

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 09:53:22 AM »
Thanks FF....

I disagree.  Look how Birchall (de white boy) come in the mix in the middle of the Hex and conducting it nice in the center.  We need all the help we could get.  J'Lloyd would possibly solve the left midfield problem we have now, and could play left back too.  Zamora is a blessing to any side, far less one in CONCACAF.

Beenie, approach them men one time.  Tony Warner too.  We have plenty games to see what they can add (Gold Cup).  

I am not against them representing us in the qualifiers.  What I am saying, I am against them not taking us seriously and waiting to represent us after we qualify.  Don't wait for success and then jump on board.  Samuel and Zamora will be great additions, no doubt.  But they have to commit now, not after the current players do the dirty work.

jusme

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 09:58:17 AM »

I disagree.  Look how Birchall (de white boy) come in the mix in the middle of the Hex and conducting it nice in the center.  We need all the help we could get. 

the difference is that birchall join when the chips was down.  we don't need ppl to jump in now that we looking good.  JLloyd has always maintained that his heart is with England.  Let him be.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 10:03:18 AM »
jusme...i agree

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 10:08:43 AM »
Tallman or others ....is de brazilian defender who played for W Connection and now playing in sweden  eligible for Trinidad because he has express an interest through marriage ? Because I think a Nigerian girl and an American played for our womens team through marriage.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 10:12:25 AM »

I disagree.  Look how Birchall (de white boy) come in the mix in the middle of the Hex and conducting it nice in the center.  We need all the help we could get. 

the difference is that birchall join when the chips was down.  we don't need ppl to jump in now that we looking good.  JLloyd has always maintained that his heart is with England.  Let him be.

You on too much moral victory scene for me oui.  This is not colleges league where yuh care about men feelings and thing.  Out here in the professional world the best men play.  Full-stop.  

Look how Liverpool gone and win the Champions League and right after Benitez say he cleaning house, including Baros and Dudek.  Is new men go defend the title in the Champions League if EUFA let them in  -- hard luck for who get released or sold.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 10:36:58 AM »
Talking about cleaning house jahyouth i wonder if we qualify if beeieman would start from scratch re-evaluating players to select the best 22  for germany
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

jusme

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 10:43:03 AM »

You on too much moral victory scene for me oui.  This is not colleges league where yuh care about men feelings and thing.  Out here in the professional world the best men play.  Full-stop.   

Look how Liverpool gone and win the Champions League and right after Benitez say he cleaning house, including Baros and Dudek.  Is new men go defend the title in the Champions League if EUFA let them in  -- hard luck for who get released or sold.

come nah man. doh compare club football to international football.  Das literally two different ballgames.  this is not about hurting men feelings.  men who wearing a national team shirt shouldn't be there just because somebody else didn't want dem, worse yet after other men do all the legwork while yuh was bussing style.

using your logic, you could transfer to Mexico and support them if you wanted couldn't you.  But it doh wuk so does it?

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 11:03:08 AM »

You on too much moral victory scene for me oui.  This is not colleges league where yuh care about men feelings and thing.  Out here in the professional world the best men play.  Full-stop.   

Look how Liverpool gone and win the Champions League and right after Benitez say he cleaning house, including Baros and Dudek.  Is new men go defend the title in the Champions League if EUFA let them in  -- hard luck for who get released or sold.

come nah man. doh compare club football to international football.  Das literally two different ballgames.  this is not about hurting men feelings.  men who wearing a national team shirt shouldn't be there just because somebody else didn't want dem, worse yet after other men do all the legwork while yuh was bussing style.

using your logic, you could transfer to Mexico and support them if you wanted couldn't you.  But it doh wuk so does it?

What you talking bout boy????  Steups.  Look  at Deco for example.  No hope of getting to play for Brazil so he went and play for Portugal.  Another example is Olisabede, the Nigerian who mash up for Poland.  Nigeria didn't want him so he play for Poland of all places and tear up and life the national team.  This is not pro versus club football.  This is simply big man football and business. 

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 11:09:15 AM »

How much times ah must post this!!!!! He never made it off the bench in that game!!!

LOL, ah like dat, some ah dese fellaz does panic fast!!

by de way, ent shaka was on ah england bench too!?? but didnt play??
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

jusme

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2005, 11:16:44 AM »
ok first of all you could use all the examples in the world and it still wouldn't justify your stance.  that is just simple logic and ent have anything to do with football.  all it means is that it have other ppl doing it.  Doh make it right.  It have plenty ppl stealing and killing and kidnapping.  lewwe stop spending so much time on the internet and follow dem nah.

Deco living in Portugal since in his late teens.  He probably have family there, so you eh know his business.  Maybe he genuinely has an allegiance to Portugal, maybe he doesn't.  Either way that ent our business.

the key word here is one you used two posts ago: professional.  The crux of the matter is that this is not the professional sphere we talking about.  this is international football.  People representing their country out of patriotism, not convenience.  JLloyd has been very clear about saying where his allegiances lie, and he is entitled to that, after all he living there since he could remember.  So just let him be.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2005, 11:18:32 AM »
As far as i know, the FIFA rule is that you can switch countries you play UNLESS IT IS IN A FIFA TOURNAMENT, eg WCQ, Gold Cups etc etc.
Friendlies dont count, although they are FIFA sanctioned, it is not a tournament.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2005, 11:34:02 AM »

No man! Shaka was never in the full England squad. He played as an overage player in an U23 fixture against Russia. It was organised by Glenn Hoddle to look at options for the WC98 squad. They also had a 'B' international the same week vs the Ruskies which Matthew LeTissier scored a hattrick in....neither player made the squad as we all know.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2005, 11:51:46 AM »

No man! Shaka was never in the full England squad. He played as an overage player in an U23 fixture against Russia. It was organised by Glenn Hoddle to look at options for the WC98 squad. They also had a 'B' international the same week vs the Ruskies which Matthew LeTissier scored a hattrick in....neither player made the squad as we all know.

cool, ah know i was something like that!  i thought he was on de bench for an england B match against chile
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 12:09:20 PM »

I not panicing, just asking ah question regarding a comment by Lincoln.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 12:14:24 PM »
As far as i know, the FIFA rule is that you can switch countries you play UNLESS IT IS IN A FIFA TOURNAMENT, eg WCQ, Gold Cups etc etc.
Friendlies dont count, although they are FIFA sanctioned, it is not a tournament.

What too too you talking now??

Allyuh men does open allyuh mouth and don't check de rules at all.

they right here   www.fifa.com

you can only switch if you have played at youth level... you cannot switch allegiance once you played at senior level and only do so before turning age 21... Friendly games COUNT

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 12:44:18 PM »

What too too you talking now??

Allyuh men does open allyuh mouth and don't check de rules at all.

they right here   www.fifa.com

you can only switch if you have played at youth level... you cannot switch allegiance once you played at senior level and only do so before turning age 21... Friendly games COUNT

Bro, that's just part of the rule if you look at the entirety of Article 15 in the FIFA statues

Article 15

1 Any person holding the nationality of a country is eligible to play for the representative teams of the Association of his country. The Executive Committee shall decide on the conditions of eligibility for any Player who assumes a new nationality and for whom par. 3 of this article does not apply, or for any Player who would, in principle, be eligible to play for the teams of more than one Association due to his nationality.

2 As a general rule, any Player who has already represented one Association (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category may not play an international match with another Association team.

3 If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new nationality, or if the Player is eligible to play for several Association teams due to his nationality, the following exceptions apply:

(a) Up to his 21st birthday, a player may only once request changing the Association for which he is eligible to play international matches.

A Player may exercise this right to change Associations only if he has not played at “A" international level for his current Association and if at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition of any other category, he already had such nationalities.

Changing Associations is not permitted during the preliminary competition of a FIFA competition, continental championship or Olympic Tournaments if a player has already been fielded in a match of one of these competitions.

(b) Any Player who has already acquired eligibility to play for one

Association but has another nationality imposed upon him by a government authority, is also entitled to change associations.

This provision is not subject to any age limits.

4 Any Player who wishes to exercise this right to change Associations shall submit a written and substantiated request to the FIFA general secretariat. After submitting the request, the Player is no longer qualified to play for his current Association’s team. The Players’

Status Committee shall decide on the request. The committee’s decision may be brought before the Appeal Committee. The Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players contain more detailed provisions.

5 Any Players who have already had their 21st birthday at the time of implementation of these provisions and who fulfill the requirements in par. 3 (a) are also entitled to submit such a request to change Associations. This entitlement will expire definitively twelve months after implementation of this provision.

The FIFA statues Re: eligibilty can be vague but a game considered "A" level game will not have 8 substitutions. The Sweeden v Engalnd game we're talking about was not considered "A" level game. Also the rules were recently changed again. Freddy Kanoute is over 21 years old and the news rules allowed him to play for Mali although he played for several French youth teams.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2005, 12:50:59 PM »

The FIFA statues Re: eligibilty can be vague but a game considered "A" level game will not have 8 substitutions. The Sweeden v Engalnd game we're talking about was not considered "A" level game. Also the rules were recently changed again. Freddy Kanoute is over 21 years old and the news rules allowed him to play for Mali although he played for several French youth teams.

Papa, there is an exception for those who turned 21 before the enactment of the rule change...

right here:

5 Any Players who have already had their 21st birthday at the time of implementation of these provisions and who fulfill the requirements in par. 3 (a) are also entitled to submit such a request to change Associations. This entitlement will expire definitively twelve months after implementation of this provision.

Also please provide your source where you claim the England Sweden game was not an "A" international...

« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 01:01:39 PM by FF »

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2005, 01:01:45 PM »
I have no problem with either Samuel or Zamora play for us personally. Because to be fair to those fellas we Never really had a coach of the calibre that they would respect or I would respect enough to play for. Not that I wouldnt respect example BSC or Stuart Charles or Porterfield but really....you been accustomed to a certain level of football, and then you have these kinda coaches tryin to convince you to play for them...when you hear Bertie talk....come on...who woulda take him seriously. I just sayin it as it is.

As for Beenie man....IF he ask for them and they turn him down...knowing his pedigree...I would NEVER ask them again. Because he coached players much better than them so they have to respect that. It don't really get much better than that. Half them coaches in England doh have his experience so they cyah feel the coach aint good enough for them. Cause I suspect that they might have felt that way after talking to BSC.

But I wouldn't say exclude them because as we see with Birchall...he shows our players that they need to step it up a few notches. It would bring out competition and competition is healthy. If you worried about being dropped for either of them or others. STEP YUH GAME UP.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2005, 01:15:42 PM »
TriniMassive, I have to agree with you, a player in Zamora's or Samuel's position will more lilkely be suaded by Beenhakker as opposed to BSC or Fervier or even Porterfield. I'm working with several Dutch nationals here in Curacao and Beenie is well respected in Europe and the Ducth press following his progress and that of the team. Also, I think T&T has some outdated laws concerning residency & citizenship. Imagine I can gain British citizenship because my grandfather was born in England before migrating to St. Vincent and my parents from St. Vincent to Trinidad. Point is, men like Ellington can't play for T&T although he has a Trini grandmother. If it was reversed he would be eligible to play for England, USA, Jamaica or most other countries. Also most other countries have clauses that allow people to become citizens if it is in national interest, just look at the U.S.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2005, 01:49:10 PM »
Also, I think T&T has some outdated laws concerning residency & citizenship. Imagine I can gain British citizenship because my grandfather was born in England before migrating to St. Vincent and my parents from St. Vincent to Trinidad. Point is, men like Ellington can't play for T&T although he has a Trini grandmother.

good point sir very good point me and rodney could agree witht that.Aye and how you know id grandmother is trini by the way boss you get every thing on this site according to Tiger
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 02:08:41 PM by Tallman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>