March 28, 2024, 10:38:48 AM

Author Topic: Latas' last hurrah  (Read 5284 times)

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latas' last hurrah
« on: June 19, 2006, 10:02:09 PM »
Latas' last hurrah

Lasana Liburd

Tuesday, June 20th 2006

Rumour says Russell Latapy carries such a long face to the Trinidad and Tobago football team's training sessions these days that he is danger of kicking his own chin.

One of Trinidad and Tobago's all-time most gifted players, Latapy does not see himself as a fringe player, even at 37 years of age.

Few who followed Latapy's career from his emergence as teenage prodigy in the mid-1980s would disagree.

But then the "Soca Warriors" outfit has so captivated their own population that surely everyone with a Trinidad and Tobago passport-me included-can see himself on a field in Germany. There are several reasons for this sudden urge to lace up football boots. But the most prominent must be the distinct blue-collar qualities that coach Leo Beenhakker's boys have shown.

Who would imagine that our twin-island republic would fall in love with 11 players embodying the passion of defender Marvin Andrews rather than the mesmerizing skills of a Latapy or Evans Wise?

And why is that?

It is because Trinidad and Tobago's football public is slowly evolving from patrons to supporters; from persons seeking out entertainment to people craving success. First, Beenhakker changed the minds of his players. Now, he seems to be transforming the very psyche of the nation.

Anyone seen a letter that begged for the return of talented yet moody players like Arnold Dwarika or Kerwin Jemmott lately?

Nope. T&T are happy to grind out a goalless draw now rather than coo over a thrilling 4-2 defeat.

Perhaps we can finally understand why Italians rave about bulldog Gennaro Gattuso, England adore John Terry and the Czech Republic care more for Jan Koller than the elegant Tomas Rosicky. And why news of Cyd Gray's injury fills us with dread whereas the CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh defender was, not so long ago, considered a comic figure in his homeland.

Ah, to remember those moments against England. Bodies flung in the path of Steven Gerrard's thunderbolts, Densill Theobald sacrificing his own attacking instincts to effectively watchman David Beckham-while the England captain played at right midfield, at least-and Stern John bravely taking a physical bashing from Terry and Rio Ferdinand for his country's pride.

Deep down, we feel, if placed in that position, we would do the same. The Warriors who braved the elements in our two World Cup fixtures thus far, represented each fan for whom desire exceeds ability. Even Yorke traded stylish flicks and poses and tackled and closed down opponents more than anyone else in red, black and white strip. It was a triumph of pragmatism over panache.

Somehow, it is hard to believe that Latapy saw it the same way. He did not want to go on to the field to chase after Sweden's Freddie Ljunberg or England's Joe Cole; he wanted to pick the lock to their backdoor or to upstage their midfield general.

At present, Latapy is T&T's sole genuine "number 10" or playmaker and we cherish the fact that he is different to anyone else in the squad.

Truth be told, we would have it no other way. But using Latapy against either Sweden or England, considering the circumstances of those fixtures, would be akin to ordering champagne on a beer budget.

At Dortmund, the Warriors were a player short and Beenhakker opted for a runner-Cornell Glen-to give an outlet for long punts out of defence as well as to keep Sweden from pushing forward with abandon.

In Nuremberg, Beenhakker dared not take off either Aurtis Whitley or Chris Birchall who were keeping tabs on England's attack minded central midfield partnership of Gerrard and Frank Lampard, while Yorke was imperious in the free role. The captain does not possess Latapy's superb final pass but his more all-round qualities are a big bonus.

It is nice to have a sip of champagne whenever possible but Beenhakker is budgeting for a place in the second round.

Latapy, at 37, is at his best when T&T have a lead to protect or is able to force opponents backwards like against Bahrain or Iceland. Or perhaps against a team that does not bomb forward through the centre of the park like England.

T&T owe Latapy a high debt for nearly two decades of enchanting moments on the field. But the Falkirk player and ex-Porto star is not in Germany as a sympathetic gesture. He is there to help get his country results.

And, more likely than not, he will get his chance to do so today.

Paraguay might also be a stronger team but the onus now lies with the Warriors to dictate the terms of war. T&T must open the South American defence at least once today in Kaiserslautern.

For that reason, Beenhakker must get the most out of his diminutive number 10-albeit off the substitutes' bench to maximise his fading fitness.

We have weathered the worst of the storm. Trinidad and Tobago now needs an admiral not a labourer to navigate a path into the final 16.

A place in the knock out phase of the World Cup would be a first for any Caribbean nation. It is time for Beenhakker to bring out the champagne. The likes of Brent Sancho and Carlos Edwards have taken us this far. Only Latapy's quality can get us further.

Every performer knows that timing is crucial. It is time for our number 10 to shine.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latas' last hurrah
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 10:18:09 PM »
D-Day for Warriors
Trinidad Guardian
BY GAIL ALEXANDER

The Soca Warriors, playing in all-white against Paraguay today—and hoping to qualify for the next World Cup round—will have to stay on in Germany until month’end, if they do get to move on, Fifa vice president Jack Warner says.

But if they don’t qualify today, the team might return to T&T as early as Thursday evening, Warner said yesterday, speaking from Frankfurt in Germany.

“Right now, all options are wide open, and all the Warriors are focused on is attacking with full force, as they told me yesterday, because they know Paraguay is likely to play particularly hard.”

Team manager Bruce Aanansen, speaking from Kaiserslautern, where he was watching the Warriors practise, said today’s all-white ensemble for the team was the colour mandated by Fifa.

Paraguay plays T&T today in blue.

Aanansen said, “Fifa gave us red and black for the Sweden match, all-red for the match against England, and all- white for the match against Paraguay.”

Aanansen said the weather, so far, was good for the team: “About 20 degrees, drizzling a bit, and the same weather is predicted for Tuesday.

He said, “The team is aware that Paraguay, having suffered humiliation on two previous occasions—including by Sweden which drew with T&T—will not be giving way lightly, and will be playing aggressively for their pride.

"So the Warriors are not taking any chances and they’re moving to suit.”

Warner said he was not yet aware of what Government might be planning for the team, in terms of a welcome.

“But I’ve recommended that whenever they return, that they be afforded a welcome home programme with motorcade and reception.

“I’ve asked TTFF to speak with Government and Sports Minister Roger Boynes, particularly, on this, and I hope Government will take it from there.”

Warner said he had also spoken with coach Leo Beenhakker, who seems interested in continuing to serve. “He said he,d talk about it after Tuesday's match, and he seems open if conditions are right.

“I can say they’re right for me, but I alone can’t do it, of course.”

Warner, so far, is projecting to return home next Monday.

He was also on hand yesterday to welcome Gail Lawrence, mother of Warrior Dennis Lawrence.

Mrs Lawrence, of Morvant, arrived in Germany on Sunday, after obtaining surprise assistance from Warner, to go and see her son play.

Speaking yesterday from Munich, where a reception in her honour was being hosted, Mrs Lawrence said: “It was a very long trip, but everything was okay. I will be seeing Dennis for a short while before the match on Tuesday, and I will be returning home on Wednesday, but it is so good to be here!”

________________________________________________________________________________

Although Warner is ah smart man at least he does try to help people.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 10:19:44 PM by real madness »

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 10:28:13 PM »

Anyone seen a letter that begged for the return of talented yet moody players like Arnold Dwarika or Kerwin Jemmott lately?

only cause TI in Germany

Ms que un club.

Offline prince2980

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Is Latapy injured and TTF is keeping it a secret?
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 07:03:02 AM »
If Latapy does not play against Paraguay sumthing is definitely wrong

Offline GyurlTrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Profile
Re: Is Latapy injured and TTF is keeping it a secret?
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 07:49:31 AM »
All indications from recent interviews wit Beenhakker indicate dat Latas gonna play 2day & I even read where it was he plan 2 keep Latas off d field cuz he didn't need his skills on d field as yet.
Luv Kat

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Latas' last hurrah
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 08:50:49 AM »

Rumour says Russell Latapy carries such a long face to the Trinidad and Tobago football team's training sessions these days that he is danger of kicking his own chin.

One of Trinidad and Tobago's all-time most gifted players, Latapy does not see himself as a fringe player, even at 37 years of age.

Few who followed Latapy's career from his emergence as teenage prodigy in the mid-1980s would disagree.

But then the "Soca Warriors" outfit has so captivated their own population that surely everyone with a Trinidad and Tobago passport-me included-can see himself on a field in Germany. There are several reasons for this sudden urge to lace up football boots. But the most prominent must be the distinct blue-collar qualities that coach Leo Beenhakker's boys have shown.

Who would imagine that our twin-island republic would fall in love with 11 players embodying the passion of defender Marvin Andrews rather than the mesmerizing skills of a Latapy or Evans Wise?

And why is that?

It is because Trinidad and Tobago's football public is slowly evolving from patrons to supporters; from persons seeking out entertainment to people craving success. First, Beenhakker changed the minds of his players. Now, he seems to be transforming the very psyche of the nation.

Nope. T&T are happy to grind out a goalless draw now rather than coo over a thrilling 4-2 defeat.

Perhaps we can finally understand why Italians rave about bulldog Gennaro Gattuso, England adore John Terry and the Czech Republic care more for Jan Koller than the elegant Tomas Rosicky. And why news of Cyd Gray's injury fills us with dread whereas the CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh defender was, not so long ago, considered a comic figure in his homeland.

Ah, to remember those moments against England. Bodies flung in the path of Steven Gerrard's thunderbolts, Densill Theobald sacrificing his own attacking instincts to effectively watchman David Beckham-while the England captain played at right midfield, at least-and Stern John bravely taking a physical bashing from Terry and Rio Ferdinand for his country's pride.

Deep down, we feel, if placed in that position, we would do the same. The Warriors who braved the elements in our two World Cup fixtures thus far, represented each fan for whom desire exceeds ability. Even Yorke traded stylish flicks and poses and tackled and closed down opponents more than anyone else in red, black and white strip. It was a triumph of pragmatism over panache.

Somehow, it is hard to believe that Latapy saw it the same way. He did not want to go on to the field to chase after Sweden's Freddie Ljunberg or England's Joe Cole; he wanted to pick the lock to their backdoor or to upstage their midfield general.

At present, Latapy is T&T's sole genuine "number 10" or playmaker and we cherish the fact that he is different to anyone else in the squad.

Truth be told, we would have it no other way. But using Latapy against either Sweden or England, considering the circumstances of those fixtures, would be akin to ordering champagne on a beer budget.

At Dortmund, the Warriors were a player short and Beenhakker opted for a runner-Cornell Glen-to give an outlet for long punts out of defence as well as to keep Sweden from pushing forward with abandon.

In Nuremberg, Beenhakker dared not take off either Aurtis Whitley or Chris Birchall who were keeping tabs on England's attack minded central midfield partnership of Gerrard and Frank Lampard, while Yorke was imperious in the free role. The captain does not possess Latapy's superb final pass but his more all-round qualities are a big bonus.

It is nice to have a sip of champagne whenever possible but Beenhakker is budgeting for a place in the second round.

Latapy, at 37, is at his best when T&T have a lead to protect or is able to force opponents backwards like against Bahrain or Iceland. Or perhaps against a team that does not bomb forward through the centre of the park like England.

T&T owe Latapy a high debt for nearly two decades of enchanting moments on the field. But the Falkirk player and ex-Porto star is not in Germany as a sympathetic gesture. He is there to help get his country results.

And, more likely than not, he will get his chance to do so today.

Paraguay might also be a stronger team but the onus now lies with the Warriors to dictate the terms of war. T&T must open the South American defence at least once today in Kaiserslautern.

For that reason, Beenhakker must get the most out of his diminutive number 10-albeit off the substitutes' bench to maximise his fading fitness.

We have weathered the worst of the storm. Trinidad and Tobago now needs an admiral not a labourer to navigate a path into the final 16.

A place in the knock out phase of the World Cup would be a first for any Caribbean nation. It is time for Beenhakker to bring out the champagne. The likes of Brent Sancho and Carlos Edwards have taken us this far. Only Latapy's quality can get us further.

Every performer knows that timing is crucial. It is time for our number 10 to shine.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Mr Icky

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 08:59:15 AM »
Now allyuh going an hype a 37 year old player.

A THIRTY-SEVEN year old striker?

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 09:05:09 AM »

Yes we hyping up Latapy. You have a problem?

Aye when we make second rounds you better doh come jump up with we eh

Offline trini_chris

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 09:14:09 AM »
icky your negativity is not required here. latas is a legend.. a true prodigy in case u don't know. damn right we hypin him up. the little magician is on of the country's greatest sportsmen
d original WARRIOR PRINCESS. win or lose i am a FIGHTER.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 09:16:49 AM »

You eh find someting constructive to do yet??? Steups..................
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 09:21:42 AM »

Let me go as far and bold as saying that Latapy is the best center midfielder in concacaf. He is one of a kind. Very unique. No player in concacaf plays like him in my eyes. Maybe USA could use his services  :devil:

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 09:54:23 AM »
all de best latas

Offline Mock de Dread

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Beanhacker and Latapy ebony and ivory
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 05:17:43 PM »

For get tactics, forget the mans age, forget his level of fitness

the only thing i wish to point out here is that as a coach beanhacker forgot what latapy did for this side when he first came back to the team toward the end of qualification remember that guatemala match in the stadium. i had been to all the games and i never saw us play like that. He clearly brought a morale booster to the entire team which spured them on while on the field,  the crowd gets involved and we have that 12th man behind the 11. The players look up to him even more so than yorke and having him on the field is just like having a second well respected leader. In football that does alot. I'am sure Brasil losing ronaldinho would no doubt cast a shodow over the team. the same way the whole of england taught that rooney is now back and they now would win the cup. having an inspirational player does help

Sometimes  inspiration does a whole lot more than tactics

because come on for me my greatest moment of the world cup occured when i saw the little magician on the field for the last time those 20 mins, transforming the game with just his presence where everyone else seemed to come alive. the paraguay game changed with his presence we looked alot more of a threat. and before he joined us vs Guatemala the team was still dead more structured but dead lacking inspiration and the imagination that russel brought back with him

Thank you russel!!! You made my WC
Bean i also thank you
you did what you taught was best ......it just that that man latas means so much more to us even as an extra body on the field with no legs old age and all ..........because come on clearly he is still the little magician ....he has been our inspiration and should have been allowed to inspire us on the world stage win loose or draw

Bless

Offline triniboots

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Beanhacker and Latapy ebony and ivory
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 06:27:14 PM »
In a post I made a few weeks back post-Sweden suggesting Latas be played for at least last 1/2 hour, some said that coach did not need Latas on the field cause we were doing fine. Sometimes doing just fine leads to loss. Latapy showed how impactful he can be with the 20 or so mins he got against Paraguay. Too bad he did not get to sweat in earlier games, he would have gained the World stage experience and contributed even more to TT's performances. Oh well, W CUP done for we and all we can hope for is future impactful players like Latapy in our teams in the years ahead.

Thanks Latas, you have been a joy to watch ever since Sando Tech intercol days and we hope that your football skills can translate into great coaching skills as you aim for new goals.

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 06:46:24 PM »
Yuh know I like everyone else would of loved to see Latas play some more but come on allyuh and open yuh eyes. Really did you expect him to play in the England or Sweden game? Latas is a attacking mid fielder and as was extremely evident in those games we were defending. Lets all realize that we played the way we needed to and the right players played. All these if, buts etc.......will come but just leave it where it is and be proud of how the boys played. All for one and one for all!!!!!!!

Offline in dey pwefen!

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 07:29:14 PM »
In Latas written script after the game against England he said he thought he could have made a contribution. I guess he knew what could have happened once he was on the field, tired legs or not. I have no hangups with Beenie man but I thought it was an insult to have chosen to bring him on for just 20 minutes or so. An insult to bot hLatas and teh country. No doubt he dreamt of this as anyone else and as T&T's most celebrated player, and his vast knowledge and insight into the game of soccer, he knew what he had to do. The instant difference he made to the game is more than ample proof that the result in this and any other match may have been different. I am however still very proud of the guys. They did better than expected by many.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »
i feel he should have played latas in all 3 games he had 5 midefielders and yorke was sitting back grinding it out.  latas on the field vs sweden and moreso england would have helped us keep more possession and opposing team can't score if we have the ball.  And latas ability to distribute make the killer pass may have created a chance for stern and then the speedy glenn.  Just my view

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 10:24:47 PM »
Thanks Latas, you have been a joy to watch ever since Sando Tech intercol days

Allyuh act like de man never shine playing for Tranquil.  He spend more years at Tranquil if ah not mistaken....skinny short man with ah big fro and baggy clothes.  Since dem days dey was calling de man we future.  :o

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 06:15:48 AM »
In Latas written script after the game against England he said he thought he could have made a contribution. I guess he knew what could have happened once he was on the field, tired legs or not. I have no hangups with Beenie man but I thought it was an insult to have chosen to bring him on for just 20 minutes or so. An insult to bot hLatas and teh country. No doubt he dreamt of this as anyone else and as T&T's most celebrated player, and his vast knowledge and insight into the game of soccer, he knew what he had to do. The instant difference he made to the game is more than ample proof that the result in this and any other match may have been different. I am however still very proud of the guys. They did better than expected by many.

Why is it an insult to latas? he eh play scotland ,wolfe cox also ? again people acting like if latapy ah...........
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 01:12:35 PM »
Tell yuh wot I longing to see, an a bet yuh the man that produce it will make a decent change, is a Latapy video of his most celebrated moments. Ah mean compile a DVD from TTT/TTFF archives and put it together. Whey Skins, Ato, an man like dat.

Calling Latas Video, we need ah Latas VIDEO. . . . . .
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

1]; } ?>