April 24, 2024, 12:55:42 PM

Author Topic: Draft player system for PFL ???  (Read 6251 times)

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Draft player system for PFL ???
« on: January 20, 2006, 02:02:18 PM »
There was something in the Lincoln Philip interview that sparked a thought.  This is concerning the comments about the SSFL and the PFL teams and comments where primarily two teams dominate a league.

Do you think a draft system (similiar to the NBA) from SSFL to PFL could work in T&T  ??? ??? ???

In a nutshell, the draft system in the NBA allows a ranking amongst college players, and the lowest ranked team will get the first pick for the highest ranked player.  The teams could trade as they want after the draft...sometimes even negotiated BEFORE the actual draft.  But this system basically prevents the more financially advantaged teams from swooping up the best players by offering better contracts.  It also allows for team building so that if younger players stay with a club, they and the club benefit in the turnover years.  Domination would only come if after the draft, a team could still lure the big players old or new, and have a star boy like Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Shaq etc.....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 03:51:25 PM by Tallman »
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: DRAFT PLAYER SYSTEM FOR PFL ???
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 03:35:21 PM »
Nice idea, ah not sure how it would work in TnT though..real planning have to go into dat.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 03:39:48 PM »
Very good idea......Flex needs to pitch that to the TD
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Aymir

• JABLOTEH FOREVER
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Jabloteh
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 03:42:04 PM »
can you imagine the best ssfl player being drafted by tobago?

i dont think it would hurt jabloteh because they focus on trinidadian youth nationals to build their team but i cant see connection agreeing to that since they have only young brazilians on their roster

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Draft player system for PFL ???
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 04:15:13 PM »
Its a good idea but i do not think it will work based on how our society is setup..

the draft is in the USA pulls mainly college students who are going to graduate, or have  graduated.  MAINLY..

IF we set up a Draft for PFL, which youths are we going to pull.?. ssfl players ?. What about them continuing their education as most their parents WILL want.. Most will not want tthier kiddies dropping everything to go and play for a PFL team just like that. They will rather send their kids out, and what will happen is that the "Cream of the Crop" leaves the country to attend college and what not, and leave back the "dregs".. if it is that the PFL teams will work with the remainder that is still good, BUT, the league it self will not really get to where we want it to be via that method.!!

Its still ah good thought though.!!  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 04:19:46 PM »
Well, what about after college then? they could still have a draft set up for eligible graduates in the US...those who remain in TnT could be taken up for the PFL youth leagues. Just ah thought.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 04:25:41 PM »
Well, what about after college then? they could still have a draft set up for eligible graduates in the US...those who remain in TnT could be taken up for the PFL youth leagues. Just ah thought.

Big Up!

Well in that situation that will be cool.. But in order for that to be an attactive offer for these youths, the PFL has to be a lil bit more lucrative.! To me, only when PFl games start having SSELL out crowds that will work.. When I say sell out I mean 15k and more paying at least $50 each..

That guh result in higher wages, and a greater willingness by these guys to play in T&T. That would be a decent start!

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 04:29:36 PM »
Well why not do it on a different level....say from primary school to seconday school...

While a version of it does exist now when moving from primary to 2ndary, it was not fully devolped, marketed and made into a   farming system like the NBA draft......

Warrior For Life !!

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 04:35:17 PM »
What is needed is the youths. If we get the youths interested in football at an early age, whether as specatators or players, the sport would grow and then we can see the big following for the games. That is what the NBA and NFL has gooing for them..the college ball and college american football has just a big following, if not bigger in the US. Then the spectators follow thier players from colledge level to the NBA and NFL. ent we like to copy the US? why can't we copy the positive stuff like this to make our sports better?

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 06:12:43 PM »
Its a really good idea but dont u think that theres should be more teams to put additional players on? i know we could get more youths to play this beautiful game. i'll enter the draft if there is one ;D
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 12:53:41 PM »
Some good comments I must say..  I agree that the PFL needs to be more high profile, attract bigger crowds and pay better wages for a system like that to work.

It would help too if we go to more commnunity based teams.  When I check it out, teams that get the most support are the teams like North Eastern (Grande), Connection (Sando / Marabella / Couva), Defence Force (Tetron / Staubles) them have they own lil community.  Petrotrin have players form all over and very little crowd pullers.  Jabloteh supposed be from San Juan, but the players again from all over, and suuport not as good as long time.  The Tobago team would pull a crowd in Tobago, because they starve for big games over dey.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 01:29:54 PM »
Yea padners we had discussed that same point some time ago.. It is a very good idea. !

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 05:48:55 PM »
Draft?  How about developing players.  By the time men reach that age in Trini, they go be rotten with bad habits.  We need to adopt the academy system, and have youth teams at professional clubs train, eat, and mimic the way the first team plays. But say what, we need to first get some of those pro teams in better structure before we could even pattern youth teams after them.  With the exception of W Connection and Jabloteh, the other youth structures are lagging behind in terms of churning out players. 

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 07:52:58 AM »
Well ah mean.. Ofcourse other things have to be put in place.. I agree dat a potential Draft system cannot be look at in a Silo..

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Why don't we have an annual draft of Intercol players into the PFL
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 10:23:49 AM »
Just a suggestion, but we could possibly look at having a draft similar to what the US does with the NBA/MLB/MLS/NFL etc. Players would be drafted from the school league directly into the PFL annually, that way players would try to be more disciplined and work harder at the school level, knowing that they can start of their footballing career with a decent enough contract. Ofcourse there would be those who would want to further their studies abroad, but we can still put measures in place to have them return to Trinidad and help develop the local leagues by offering good incentives. Once this is properly planned and linked with the school leagues we could see a continued turnover of players coming into the leagues every year, this in my mind would help develop the local league and give players a tremendous opportunity in what could be a lucrative career in football and also create a greater love and discipline for the game from as early as primary school. Awaiting yr comments?
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't we have an annual draft of Intercol players into the PFL
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 10:35:18 AM »
Very good idea I think. One of the major problems facing the SSFL and Intercol is losing players during their stay at school to Pro Teams youth squads making them ineligible for school football. The youths feel it is necessary to break into the PFL system early and likewise clubs try to snap up talent too early and real people does fall through the cracks. If we hav this draft system it will encourage players to finish school and get a contract with top PFL teams as soon as they done.

As regards to players leaving to Universities abroad, we need to regulate this. It is very good that they get the opportunity to further their studies abroad but we must make sure they represent Trinidad. The government should offer sporting scholarships to accredited foreign universities and offer these to our secondary school talent. These contracts would state that they would need to respond to calls to national duty at any age group level and make themselves available when called and also report to the national youth training program at least twice a year or something like that. Each scholarship receipient should have a liason officer to keep in contact with.

These are just some of my ideas

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 10:41:29 AM »
Unless there is a move to DRASTICALLY IMPROVE the standard of the Colleges League....and by standard I mean IN ALL AREAS, no disrespect but we barkin uo the wrong tree.

Colleges is a FUN League.  No DEVELOPMENT takes place there.  No proper coaching takes place there.  Witness Ron La as legend in Colleges League with St Anthony's and bradang....full flop (no disrespeck Ron La...yuh try yuh bess I'm sure) wit de national U 21 team in international play.

Instead....we have a PFL.  The PFL has junior league divisions e.g U 19, U 17, U 15 etc.  They already have some sort of infrastructure.  Players from those teams supply the Colleges league....NOT the other way around.

Colleges league and Intercol is jes really and truly fuh kicks and braggin rights.  Check when we send a representative team to Jamaica or dem come down to T&T how much licks we does colleck in we collective pweffen.

I eh sayin it eh have a place fuh Colleges League....but a feeder for PFL clubs or National teams it is not.  Maybe back in de day....but in today's environment....certainly not now.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 10:45:08 AM »
How about a mandate to SSFF administration that the coach of any team competing in the league must have a Class B or C license like they do over in europe. I think without making things required we will just remain as is.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 10:50:54 AM »
I know things aren't ideal in the school leagues especially when it comes to supplying players for the professional league, but with proper consultation and the contribution of all stake holders this can be something that may assist us in the development of our football, especially for future generations.

Offline trinikid

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 11:26:56 AM »
Very good idea warrior king as far as loosing the players easrly to the fl is concerned you implement a age limit at 17 as he cause may go no player can enter the pfl draft until they complete the cxc level atleast we all know we have alot of raw talent in trinidad its just to develop it hopefully we can produce some more russel latapies dwight yorks etc

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 02:27:38 PM »
I started a thread about this already...maybe one of them moderators could provide the link.
There were some good comments on the pros and cons of a draft system.

Offline shooter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 02:33:21 PM »
thats a good idea yuh know...it will also improve the academics of players as they will be disciplined in the classroom and it will filter out on the field...but the authorits have to do a good job in improving the standard of play...it will help the pro league also...by keeping some of our better players home and playing more often than players who come to the US colleges and only play during the season...but good idea though

Offline Aymir

• JABLOTEH FOREVER
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Jabloteh
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 02:56:06 PM »
palos is very right. at the moment the some of the best players in the colleges leagues are the ones attached to pro league clubs. it would be better to strengthen the pro league youth system and let them get the best college league players with the clubs.

look at how quickly peltier graduated from jabloteh youth team now to pro league and is scoring winning goals.

i read somewhere where it said that when mucurapo met san juan senior comp in semi-finals last year, that jabloteh, about 16 players on the field from both sides were from jabloteh youth teams and most of the remainder were from superstar rangers youth teams.

imagine dat. ;D

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 03:44:12 PM »
This topic seem to be very interesting and i like the views and ideas being put forward here,one thing we must bear in mind is there are pros and cons to what ever we attempt to do.

I think the colleges should be the best place to go with this,my reasoning for this is that you have more control of players and a wider base to choose players from.

How many clubs have youth teams that supply the Colleges league like Jabloteh and Rangers do,the quality of our Coaches in the Colleges league have to improve,if every Secondary school have a quality Coach we will be in touch with all the youth players in the country.

Our Clubs should use the Colleges league to scout for players,if we look carefully all our players came from the colleges league and it was always that way from way back in Lincoln Phillips and them days.In the US they have what you call a show case for Coaches,they have these tournaments where coaches can scout for players.

I don't think the Colleges league is a kicks league,what is kicks is the Coaches those schools have,some have no discipline or knowledge of the game,at that age of development it's crucial for any young player.

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 04:07:38 PM »
yeah we need to do some thing to improve the quality of our leagues

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 06:24:23 PM »
I like this idea.....we need to integrate these players into a professional environment. However....quick question...i remember hearing in the interview conducted in the aftermath of the ill fated CAC games qualifiers one foreign scout mentioned that from the time that players recieve money for playing football they are inelligible for university scholarships and such. Can anyone confirm this and how it would affect this plan??
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 07:23:40 PM »
Posted by: Bourbon 
Insert Quote
I like this idea.....we need to integrate these players into a professional environment. However....quick question...i remember hearing in the interview conducted in the aftermath of the ill fated CAC games qualifiers one foreign scout mentioned that from the time that players recieve money for playing football they are inelligible for university scholarships and such. Can anyone confirm this and how it would affect this plan??

This is true, the player have to maintain a status of amatuerism. They can however receive a stipend for travelling to and from National training, but it must only cover the exact amount. there are some other minor expenses which can be covered but it cannot be a salary.

SECTION A. DEFINITION OF AN AMATEUR
1. To properly control competition in the NAIA program, only amateur students shall be eligible to
participate in a given sport. An amateur is a student who engages in athletics contests for
educational values, personal pleasure, satisfaction, and for the love of the sport, not for monetary
or material gain.
2. A student who becomes a professional in a particular sport recognized by the NAIA is considered
a professional in that sport only and therefore is ineligible for intercollegiate competition in that
sport, except as permitted by the governing legislation of the NAIA.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/naia/genrel/auto_pdf/2005-06_Official_Handbook.pdf

There is more to it you can use the link to read the rest. This is NAIA but it is very similar to NCAA.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2006, 08:06:06 AM »
Guys i merged the two topics.. both threads have similar points.

oconnorg

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2006, 08:30:02 AM »
What will get people more involve with the game or the youths is the MARKETING of the sport! Advertise the secondary school and College games lon TV and Radio and charge a minimum fee. Add some incentives like the first 30 spectators will receive a free Adidas soccer ball... just anything to attract people to becoming more supportive with not only the Pro League and National team games but the game overall!
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 07:19:04 AM »
There has to be a great effort on the part of all stakeholders to ensure that this is a success, corporate Trinidad & Tobago will have to begin to pump money into the leagues and the PFL  would have to provide players with good remuneration packages and incentives. U cant have a man comin tinto the PFL and only gettin $3000, we have to pay them well in order to attract quality players. It would be nice if we can also attract some big name players who played in Europe and England to attract attention to the league. Similar to what Cosmos did in the U.S when they brought Pele to play in their league.

1]; } ?>