April 19, 2024, 03:40:50 AM

Author Topic: ADOPT A Team - Pro League  (Read 7717 times)

Offline dctrini1

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ADOPT A Team - Pro League
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2006, 03:13:08 PM »
Anyon have any idea what it cost to run a team in the PRO League each year?

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2006, 03:16:58 PM »
Great ideas....

As a prelude...could someone of status...(somebody say Gilbert ?)...liaise with the PFL Admin and inform them of the prospective plans.  Just so that when men start hanging around a team and talking to people that nobody feel is some spying games going on and want to buss man head or run them from the ground and thing like that nah.

Consider this done...

Finding untapped talent should begin  with knowledge of every football league in TNT outside of the pro league. Then we set up a data base with all information on league standings here on WN website. Formites can then get info and make comments, Formites in TNT will have to attend games  and post reports on players they think could make the cut. Once we get to this point we plan a WN sweat  and invite about 20 of the best untapped players along with the pro league and national  people who are responsible for selection of players, this is really to serve as as informal invitation to newly found talent.

Interesting.. Also check out pro league site they have some info.. www.ttproleague.com.. Standings and all that.

Great idea. Might I also suggest that SW.net/WN try to recruit budding journalists/reporters who have the time to attend PFL games and produce detailed match reports. As all of you know, the local media's coverage of PFL games is poor to say the least. Even the official PFL website sucks. If we can develop a small network of journos to cover the games, not only would we be de facto fan clubs, but also a bone-fide news gathering organisation. If we want to attract more interest in local football, we need better media coverage and I say we should have a go at doing it ourselves rather than wait for local media and PFL to pull their fingers out of their collective asses

Excellent.. this is in the works as well.. WN members and forumites have already been approaced regarding the issue of SW and WN press.. I like the expansion of the ideas tho..

Guys keep it coming.

Coop's what suggestions you have for ensuring that the ideas projected here be a long lasting one. ?

Anyon have any idea what it cost to run a team in the PRO League each year?

No Clue.. But I would suspect 1 mil per year for player saleries..

oconnorg
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2006, 04:08:55 PM »
When you have been around T&T Football over the years like i've been and seen ideas after ideas,suggestions after suggestions just fall on deaf ears,i'm wondering if what we trying to do here is worth the time.

We are a country of plenty talk and no action,that's why Jack will always control because he backs up what ever he says.I've suggested a couple things that we will need in a previous post if this program is to be implemented,we can't have any Tom,Dick and Harry running this we must have people who will be respected(professional),i hear guys calling it a "sweat",no it's not this must be serious business,the people in charge must be qualified people.

The TTFF must be involved we can't do anything footballwise in the country without their blessings.Who ever decides to handle this must be based in T&T else it will not work,it's a full time job that's where we will need the finance,it looks simple on the surface but if we dig deeper we will realize how complicated it can become.I personally have been trying to do things in T&T over the years and there was always some excuse from the TTFF why what i wanted to do could not be done. 

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2006, 04:22:06 PM »
When you have been around T&T Football over the years like i've been and seen ideas after ideas,suggestions after suggestions just fall on deaf ears,i'm wondering if what we trying to do here is worth the time.

We are a country of plenty talk and no action,that's why Jack will always control because he backs up what ever he says.I've suggested a couple things that we will need in a previous post if this program is to be implemented,we can't have any Tom,Dick and Harry running this we must have people who will be respected(professional),i hear guys calling it a "sweat",no it's not this must be serious business,the people in charge must be qualified people.

The TTFF must be involved we can't do anything footballwise in the country without their blessings.Who ever decides to handle this must be based in T&T else it will not work,it's a full time job that's where we will need the finance,it looks simple on the surface but if we dig deeper we will realize how complicated it can become.I personally have been trying to do things in T&T over the years and there was always some excuse from the TTFF why what i wanted to do could not be done. 

Hey coops,

thanks for taking the time to respond and give your thoughts on this..

I really respect what you have tried to do.. I would like to say tho, that it is my intention to see this through and with yours and everyones help we WILL effect change... Its inevitable..

We will get it done.. As usual, look orward to your valued views and inputs..

p.s. come back and live in T&T nah!

oconnorg
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2006, 04:34:37 PM »
........    Maxg i take a Little offence to what is being projected about the Army in your Post,which jobs in T&T paying better than the Army?do you know you got to have passes to get in the now?are you saying that the Army picks up the less educated?It's not all about not having to salute.

Check the history of this team and you will observe there is no team to rival their achievements past or present,every tournament,league,local or foreign they have won at some time,the amount of international players they have produced starting from Lincoln Phillips,Kelvin Berassa,Gerry Browne etc etc days,did you know Jason Scotland,Denis Lawrence,Kevin Jeffreys,Mc Farlane etc etc came from that same Army?

The Army have always been involved in the development of Youth players in the country because they was always looked upon to do so,if you look at guys like Ken Elie,Errol Mcfarlane,Nevick Denoon etc i personally had the opportunity to work with almost every Youth player in the country in my time,just to mane a few that you are familiar with ,just call them i've worked with them,they work with various secondary schools all the time it's been going on for years,all our national teams usually have a Army Coach/trainer as part of technical staff.

Coops 1st orf let me apoligize for offending you...with some explanation....
Any athlete who has a choice of choosing a foreign scholarship to playing for the Army, >90% of the time I think they would go on the scholarship, any athlete who has other opportunities to acquiring a fairly decent job, as opposed to serving(a fairly decent job as well), would probably choose what would seem to be the easiest work...Any athlete who has the opportunity to make more money playing for Jabloteh, W connection or such, would be actively recruited and be more successful in acquiring their services, before the army..
I am not implying that the Army would recruit the uneducated, I am implying the Army may be left with 99% of the time ,the rest...
The Army takes this rest and I always believed through discpline, proper training, organization , attention and nuturing, unity and team bonding, develop these rest into better individuals (in most cases) as wel.
So although you worked with the Latapy,Chinapoo,Nakhid,Veron Skinner,Shaka etc...how many of them if any joined the army ? How many named player coming out of any secondary school joined the army team right away ? I don't know about the last 30 yrs, but I can tell you in my Time there was 1 I could think of -Wayne Lewis joined Police,  can't remember if Ron la did too.... if so, 1/2 in how many..I am not saying the Army does not produce good players, I am saying, I think they are average players (or below) before ...I am saying, the Army in very rare cases, if at all, has the best of the best...and they do a fantastic job and changes these players into the Henrys, Coopers, Phillips, Scotlands and Lawrences that represent our National team, it is probably therefore our best academy over the years in T&T.....I knew below avg. players I played with before they joined, and years later when I played against them in friendlies in MTL, there ability and self confidence in the game was amazing, and the only area I could match them was because I had a greater desire and determination to play professionally, although I myself though an average baller, was an above avg athlete..

It is for this I inquire because I recognize that what the Army does is a great thing, and would be interested in helping, by putting 1 or 2 of those better players in that setting and see where that goes...

Please respond, feel free to correct any misconceptions on my part. As I stated, I am making some assumptions, as things probably changed in the last 30 yrs.....thanks

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2006, 06:10:35 PM »
........    Maxg i take a Little offence to what is being projected about the Army in your Post,which jobs in T&T paying better than the Army?do you know you got to have passes to get in the now?are you saying that the Army picks up the less educated?It's not all about not having to salute.

Check the history of this team and you will observe there is no team to rival their achievements past or present,every tournament,league,local or foreign they have won at some time,the amount of international players they have produced starting from Lincoln Phillips,Kelvin Berassa,Gerry Browne etc etc days,did you know Jason Scotland,Denis Lawrence,Kevin Jeffreys,Mc Farlane etc etc came from that same Army?

The Army have always been involved in the development of Youth players in the country because they was always looked upon to do so,if you look at guys like Ken Elie,Errol Mcfarlane,Nevick Denoon etc i personally had the opportunity to work with almost every Youth player in the country in my time,just to mane a few that you are familiar with ,just call them i've worked with them,they work with various secondary schools all the time it's been going on for years,all our national teams usually have a Army Coach/trainer as part of technical staff.

Coops 1st orf let me apoligize for offending you...with some explanation....
Any athlete who has a choice of choosing a foreign scholarship to playing for the Army, >90% of the time I think they would go on the scholarship, any athlete who has other opportunities to acquiring a fairly decent job, as opposed to serving(a fairly decent job as well), would probably choose what would seem to be the easiest work...Any athlete who has the opportunity to make more money playing for Jabloteh, W connection or such, would be actively recruited and be more successful in acquiring their services, before the army..
I am not implying that the Army would recruit the uneducated, I am implying the Army may be left with 99% of the time ,the rest...
The Army takes this rest and I always believed through discpline, proper training, organization , attention and nuturing, unity and team bonding, develop these rest into better individuals (in most cases) as wel.
So although you worked with the Latapy,Chinapoo,Nakhid,Veron Skinner,Shaka etc...how many of them if any joined the army ? How many named player coming out of any secondary school joined the army team right away ? I don't know about the last 30 yrs, but I can tell you in my Time there was 1 I could think of -Wayne Lewis joined Police,  can't remember if Ron la did too.... if so, 1/2 in how many..I am not saying the Army does not produce good players, I am saying, I think they are average players (or below) before ...I am saying, the Army in very rare cases, if at all, has the best of the best...and they do a fantastic job and changes these players into the Henrys, Coopers, Phillips, Scotlands and Lawrences that represent our National team, it is probably therefore our best academy over the years in T&T.....I knew below avg. players I played with before they joined, and years later when I played against them in friendlies in MTL, there ability and self confidence in the game was amazing, and the only area I could match them was because I had a greater desire and determination to play professionally, although I myself though an average baller, was an above avg athlete..

It is for this I inquire because I recognize that what the Army does is a great thing, and would be interested in helping, by putting 1 or 2 of those better players in that setting and see where that goes...

Please respond, feel free to correct any misconceptions on my part. As I stated, I am making some assumptions, as things probably changed in the last 30 yrs.....thanks

There may be a lot more secondary school players that played for the Army but i'll just name a few,Lincoln Phillips,Victor Gamaldo,Ron and Len Laforest,Curtis Murrel,Kenny Joseph,Gerry Hackett,Francis Furlonge,Mervyn Joseph,Carlyle Andrews etc etc

The Army just like every other profession is not for everybody,i don't think if guys like Skinner,Nakhid etc had joined the Army they would have lasted just like Lawrence,Scotland etc i did not like it initially but i made it work for me,i made my name in there and so did many others.People have the wrong misconception of our Army and is all because we have no War to fight etc etc but i think it's one of the best places for any young man/woman,it's a career with retirement benefits because it's a government job.

Times have changed,in my time players was not making money through Football so what you find was the Services used to recruit them,Army,Police,Fire and Prisons,not only Football it was Basketball,Athletics,Hockey etc name the sport if you were good at it you could have gotten in.My hope is that all those guys that choose to play pro have something to fall back on when those days are over or they get damage.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »
appreciate your response, but I am not certain I understand it.
Was I still incorrect in my assumptions, although I may have some stats incorrect ?
 Were my statements offending or closer to fact?
Today, would the Army have the benefit of recruiting any of the better players in Trinidad & Tobago or does the Army make them better players?  Wouldn't the army produce a better team and better players have they had access to a few of the best early talented individuals ?

and my last question ?(not asked before)  How many of those great graduated Army players have returned to assist that Team with recruitment, development, motivational speeches to the present batch, help recruit for the Army.....there must be somebody there who has given some sort of extended service, and maintained some continunity in the programs, whose name comes to mind from your time, and who puts things in place now ? I don't have a clue and really would like to know. I found this on SW.net, but don't know if these are the present staff or the ones who maintain the quality. again appreciate your response.....I know I could PM all these questions, but I think a lot of ppl are like me and have just taken things for granted (DForce has always been there), but don't really know about them
Manager:
Colin Millington.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Head Coach:
Anthony Barrington.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assistant:
Kerry Jamerson

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2006, 07:32:36 PM »
appreciate your response, but I am not certain I understand it.
Was I still incorrect in my assumptions, although I may have some stats incorrect ?
 Were my statements offending or closer to fact?
Today, would the Army have the benefit of recruiting any of the better players in Trinidad & Tobago or does the Army make them better players?  Wouldn't the army produce a better team and better players have they had access to a few of the best early talented individuals ?

and my last question ?(not asked before)  How many of those great graduated Army players have returned to assist that Team with recruitment, development, motivational speeches to the present batch, help recruit for the Army.....there must be somebody there who has given some sort of extended service, and maintained some continunity in the programs, whose name comes to mind from your time, and who puts things in place now ? I don't have a clue and really would like to know. I found this on SW.net, but don't know if these are the present staff or the ones who maintain the quality. again appreciate your response.....I know I could PM all these questions, but I think a lot of ppl are like me and have just taken things for granted (DForce has always been there), but don't really know about them
Manager:
Colin Millington.
Head Coach:
Anthony Barrington.
Assistant:
Kerry Jamerson

Don't get me wrong i like this,your views are quite reasonable and i take no offence to what ever you have to say and that's why i'm responding.

As i said before we live in different times,the administration the Army has is not what it's used to be,when we had Jofre Serette,Mervyn Williams,Ralph Brown etc in charge sports was big,the last we had was Alphonso and Sandy,the big men now don't really care,another person that put some pressure on the Army was Theodore when he became minister of National Security but that's another storey.

I don't think what the Army used to do in the past they can do today,the reputation they used to have is gone so they are not attracting the best players any more,tell me how many players playing Football professionally in T&T making more money than those guys that play for the Army.The Army is not a civilian outfit so they can't operate like the clubs on the outside,in my time Serette and them used to do their own thing because no one question what the Army did,we were successfull because Football was all we did full time Coaching/Playing/Training.

I usually try to keep in touch as much as i can through Dexter Lee,he updates on what's going on with the Football down,i pay them a visit every time i go home,i try as much as possible to meet with the officer in charge, the Coach and players which i had the opportunity to do one time because they had just gotten recruits,but i'm in touch with these guys all the time it's a team that's dear to me.The personnel you mentioned here is correct that's the present technical staff.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2006, 07:54:07 PM »
btw Coops , a little bout mehself
I only had 1 GCE pass in Eng . Lit, yet I was in he top 1 pctile and top 8 th in Canada in chemistry, top 3 in physics and B + student in all other subjects after 1  yr of HS in Canada. I could only make QRC 2nd 11 in football, but after 2 yrs represented the province at the Canada Jnr Olympics... I was Jnr Nat. in ath. in T&T, but after ghetting tear up by Glance and Crawfie in TO, thought it best I stick with football. Was later invited for NASL tryouts, but had a career ending injury...nb. I didn't pursue any major academic pursuits either....nuther story...

My point being...Diifferent ppl, respond to different systems and motivations, and motivators..So I have learned not to judge an individual based on one system/method, neither their ability or character...cause In T&T, I myself may have been cast aside immediately, and luckily my parents recognized that and afforded me an opportunity....just felt I had to clear that up..thanks

add: I just saw you posted, just as I was about to post this... I will post it anyway..
As a side note I met Joffre Serrette at the MTL Olympics in '76 as I worked th VIP section(crowd control), spoke with him for bout half hour, twice, found him to be a very interesting, pleasant, but solitary individual, we discussed stuff about T&T, my desire to return home, I found it hard to believe this man was Army, he did change my opinion of the Army being stiff....I would like really to know how things do operate now, especially in youth development as far as players for the army is concerned....It won't be fair for Army to develop youths in St. Fx Nats. and they all end up playing for Joe Public, would it? but if some operation is in place now where they could be encouraged to serve, develop and progress in football as well as other interest, maybe they could be Army for life...but ah jus throwin stuff, obviously I am not fully aware of current operations..

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2006, 09:33:39 AM »
just a few questions i'm throwing out here:

Q: How many footballers playing for pro league teams are currently loaned out to other clubs?

Q: Are there other clubs in other leagues that have in the past arranged loans for TT-based players or even vice versa (arranging for their players to play in T&T)?

Q: Are pro league clubs well positioned to gain from doing more to develop local talent?

it seems to me that pro league teams need an incentive to invest their resources developing local talent; to make money off of their investment. there are only so many places on the roster - there has to be a way to "export" good talent and loan agreements are one such way.

at the beginning of the year, whitley had a loan spell at portsmouth. i didn't follow the details but it seem fenwick was a key part of that, leveraging his contacts at portsmouth.

the point i'm trying to get across is that only the pro league clubs that can make some money off of player development, would be motivated to do anything about it.

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2006, 10:37:05 AM »
so gilbert wa yuh sayin
yuh settin me up wit a team awa? :D

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
ADOPT A Team - Pro League
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2006, 01:02:04 PM »
Brej for Tobago united

Better yet Civic Center

Woi woi

OG i'm interested but i'm wonderin if i'll have the time.. we'll see what could happen so put meh name down

What i bring tuh de table, the ability to analize plays as that progress and the ability tuh see an play before it develops so count meh in dey

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2006, 12:12:02 PM »
nice idea but you guys realise who i would have to back, check my location :frustrated:Ah guh end up wit no hair on mih head!

Seriously though good idea :applause:

Offline Karasi

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2006, 08:21:23 PM »
Fantastic idea.  Will like to be in.  So I will now have to really take a closer look at the teams and choose one (or two). Although i am from Diego I like Jabloteh

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2006, 03:37:58 PM »
I got Civic Centre
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

1]; } ?>