March 28, 2024, 06:24:18 AM

Author Topic: T&T looks to 2010 - we playing Japan in August  (Read 4887 times)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T looks to 2010 - we playing Japan in August
« on: June 21, 2006, 04:21:11 AM »
By Gail Alexander
Trinidad Express

T&T’s Soca Warriors are expected to return home by Friday or Saturday to a national parade and honours following yesterday’s ousting from the World Cup series as a result of Paraguay’s two goals.
“And we pick up the pieces and move on to preparing for World Cup 2010 in South Africa,” Fifa vice president Jack Warner vowed in Kaiserslautern, Germany, yesterday.
The same sentiment was expressed by Sports Minister Roger Boynes yesterday.
“The team has emphasised T&T’s place on the world map and we are proud of them, regardless,” Boynes said.
“From here on there must be no looking back since we must ensure the standard they’ve initiated in this World Cup series is carried over and beyond into the next World Cup in 2010.”
After their performances against Sweden and England, T&T was knocked out of the World Cup series yesterday as a result of two goals obtained by Paraguay—one of them an own goal put over by Brent Sancho.
Warner said Fifa had the team booked to leave Germany on Thursday.
Whatever reception to be held here was being worked out by the Football Federation and the Government, he added.
Last night, team manager Bruce Aanansen said arrangements for the team’s return were still being finalised with the Government, since the players had initially been booked to return to the countries where they were professionally based.
“We’re aiming to bring them to T&T by June 23 (Friday) or the 24th latest, and this depends on what arrangements the Government is putting in place for BWIA to do so,” Aanansen said.
“We spoke to the Sports Minister and have an agreement in principle from Government on bringing them home and we’re now awaiting confirmation.
“Mr Warner and I will have a final discussion on it by tomorrow (today),” Aanansen added.
Yesterday, Prime Minister Patrick Manning assured reporters that the team would get “a reception the likes of which the country has never seen before,” he said.
Warner, though a bit caught by yesterday’s defeat, said nevertheless:
“What matters is the Warriors were given a standing ovation after the match by all the fans present and that speaks for itself.
“With this competition, at least five of them—Dwight Yorke, Shaka Hislop, Russell Latapy and Marvin Andrews—have capped off their careers and it was probably the best way for any footballer to have done so.”
Warner said the team had agreed to play Japan in August in Japan and a September 2 match was tentatively scheduled in T&T with Mexico for the Warriors who were retiring.
“After that we must regroup and begin campaigning for World Cup 2010,” he said.
“We must pick up the pieces and move on because any effort in that regard now—after the way T&T has performed in this series—must not be a casual one-off thing.”
Sports Minister Roger Boynes said the entire stadium audience applauded the T&T team after the match.
“We may have gone under, but the guys had to go for broke and play the way they did, attacking in the process,” he said.
“I still believe the game they played was one of the best in the series so far, second to Ghana.
“They played well and Latapy made a serious difference…The whole performance by the team has showed that T&T is indeed a force to be reckoned with.”

Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar said:
“It was a tremendous effort. The Warriors showed spirit to the end, true Soca Warrior spirit, and the entire country wants to thank them for their manful efforts on T&T’s behalf and for the excitement and positivity they brought to T&T. And, of course, we thank Mr Warner for all he’s done.”

Aanansen said: “There’s a little disappointment naturally. We had a lot of opportunities to score but things just didn’t go our way. What we have to do now is chalk it up as experience and move on from here.”

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: T&T looks to 2010 - we playing Japan in August
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 07:00:21 AM »
I just wondering about these so called matches in August and September.

Most of our players as we all know are employed in the British Leagues.  Pre season training starts in July and continues into August with the leagues commencing in August.  Which team exactly is going to allow their players to travel all the way to Japan to play a friendly at the beginning of the season? 

Remember...these matches would not be OFFICIAL FIFA match dates.  Just friendlies.  I not sayin is not a nice ting to do....but I eh countin on the majority of we players who play in dis WC to be on dat squad...ESPECIALLY the alleged "retirement" game.

Guess we'll see.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 07:07:06 AM »

Most of our players as we all know are employed in the British Leagues.  Pre season training starts in July and continues into August with the leagues commencing in August.  Which team exactly is going to allow their players to travel all the way to Japan to play a friendly at the beginning of the season? 

Remember...these matches would not be OFFICIAL FIFA match dates.  Just friendlies.  I not sayin is not a nice ting to do....but I eh countin on the majority of we players who play in dis WC to be on dat squad...ESPECIALLY the alleged "retirement" game.

Guess we'll see.
Euro '08 qualification begins in August ah tink. :-\
Live large and prosper!

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 07:10:37 AM »

Guess we'll see.

If we do carry a team, we could carry a mixed team.. Oldest man being 27... and start to tinker out a core for upcomming tournaments leading up to 2010. I wonder what Lincoln plan is in this regard.!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 07:14:43 AM »
If we do carry a team, we could carry a mixed team.. Oldest man being 27... and start to tinker out a core for upcomming tournaments leading up to 2010. I wonder what Lincoln plan is in this regard.!

As yuh mention Lincoln....one a de most curious and quite frankly, saddenin tings ah see in Germany was de sight of de Technical Director of T&T football comin out a train and walkin into de stadium like everybody else for de Sweden game. 

Ah was happy he had a ticket to go...doh get meh wrong...but dis man is we TD and not part of de official contingent?

Jes strike me as odd and sad.  Would be interestin to see who would be coach if Beenie doh come back.  Guess we kinda already know except man probably still in denial.  Anton Corneal.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 07:32:24 AM »

As yuh mention Lincoln....one a de most curious and quite frankly, saddenin tings ah see in Germany was de sight of de Technical Director of T&T football comin out a train and walkin into de stadium like everybody else for de Sweden game. 

Ah was happy he had a ticket to go...doh get meh wrong...but dis man is we TD and not part of de official contingent?

Jes strike me as odd and sad.  Would be interestin to see who would be coach if Beenie doh come back.  Guess we kinda already know except man probably still in denial.  Anton Corneal.

Breds, it really makes me wonder if they taking Lincoln Seriously... I hope they are..

Eh we may have to come up with a sadow TTFF amongst our selves and Try to get members more involved with the Runnings of the Federation. Something to think about .. I am sure new blood in the TTFF is needed.!

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 07:33:11 AM »
Let the rebuilding start now:

Retirees: Hislop, Ince, Dog, Latas, Yorke, Stern, Evans Wise, Cox.

Lawrence could be the new captain and be around in 4 years as his game not based on pace. Sancho and Avery could take a bligh too as they will help the younger fellas progress, but Avery will move more central to control the defence as we get some speed on the flanks.
Cyd Gray could last for a next Gold Cup but hopefully we will get someone to challenge him out by then.
Keep Aurtis around for 2010, once he get a decent contract so he could provide some experience in the middle of the park. Birchall, Theobald and Spann will control our midfield for years. Latas hadda do real work with Theobald though because like he going backward out there in Falkirk like Rahim did.

Samuel on the left, Carlos on the right. Cornell, Sealy and Hector Sam fight for the second striker role and Scotty and Jones as the main striker..pluse we always have young strikers comign through.

Tha's the side for 2010...plus some youths who will make the transititon in the next 4 years. Let the rebuilding start now !
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 07:39:16 AM »

I don't know Palos that might have been by choice.

I was lucky enough to bounce him up before the Sweden game (and get a photo)

I also saw him after the England game in full suit and tie with some of the LOC contingent.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 07:47:45 AM »

Lawrence could be the new captain and be around in 4 years as his game not based on pace. Sancho and Avery could take a bligh too as they will help the younger fellas progress, but Avery will move more central to control the defence as we get some speed on the flanks.
Cyd Gray could last for a next Gold Cup but hopefully we will get someone to challenge him out by then.
Keep Aurtis around for 2010, once he get a decent contract so he could provide some experience in the middle of the park. Birchall, Theobald and Spann will control our midfield for years. Latas hadda do real work with Theobald though because like he going backward out there in Falkirk like Rahim did.

Samuel on the left, Carlos on the right. Cornell, Sealy and Hector Sam fight for the second striker role and Scotty and Jones as the main striker..pluse we always have young strikers comign through.

Tha's the side for 2010...plus some youths who will make the transititon in the next 4 years. Let the rebuilding start now !

Good points Bro.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 08:17:47 AM »

nice points but i think theobald has improved and as  for the strikers  we need younger legs becuase except jones the rest of those guys will be almost/over 30.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 08:21:35 AM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 08:35:49 AM »

nice points but i think theobald has improved and as  for the strikers  we need younger legs becuase except jones the rest of those guys will be almost/over 30.

Brings me back to this point.. Start integrating the U23's from now.. Look PERU done styart when they had played us earlier this year..

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 08:47:14 AM »

Brings me back to this point.. Start integrating the U23's from now.. Look PERU done styart when they had played us earlier this year..

yup we need to do that fuh sure
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 08:52:45 AM »

yeah real good points.. i know men might not agree but they should really look at the ones who comin out of college..... they say college different than professional.......so integrate them in 3 or 4 at a time......

For one match call Spann and a younger midfielder.....the next Birchall and another young midfielder...
It doh matter if we win the next Shell cup... use that to play a younger side .. give them experience....

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 08:55:36 AM »

yeah real good points.. i know men might not agree but they should really look at the ones who comin out of college..... they say college different than professional.......so integrate them in 3 or 4 at a time......

For one match call Spann and a younger midfielder.....the next Birchall and another young midfielder...
It doh matter if we win the next Shell cup... use that to play a younger side .. give them experience....

nah I want to win de shell cup.. What you saying man .. lol.

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 09:18:46 AM »

Aye it is the digicel cup they call it now  yeah we should win but  once we qualify fuh the goal cup i good with that.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 09:26:54 AM by triniman »

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 09:21:34 AM »

hey it is the digicel cup yeah we should win but  once we qualify fuh the goal cup i good with that.

Same thing.. Jess like how TTFF is still de TTFA.. lol. but yea DIGICEL CUP.!

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 09:27:31 AM »
Time to look pass winning that now in my opinion if we win it nice we should look at winning the gold cup now and 2010..

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 09:57:19 AM »
I hope Cornell once fit again can secure a contract in Europe, between Kenwayne and him we could have two more potent strikers at our disposal. Me Mum can only get better from here after this experience and he will move on to bigger things.

*sexytrini2dabone*

I cyah wait - 2010
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 04:17:42 PM »
Hey,

Billions of people are tuned into one of the most prolific sporting events ever to take place on an international stage and i am proud to state that my country happens to be one of the 32 best teams to take part. I am writing from the smallest nation ever to qualify for that stage called the World Cup, my beautiful twin island republic of Trinidad & Tobago. As an individual i am happy, but as a nation, we are proud. The performance displayed by our "Soca Warriors" on the field thus far has been magical, the team has left the showcasing of our culture to the hundreds of "trinbagonians" who were able to journey to Germany to be part of this historic event. I am taking this opportunity to tell the world that you have not seen or heard the last from this "small" footballing nation, to my ppl "representing", keep up the good work, we looking great and to the world, thank you for the kindness and support shown to the 1.3 million citizens. As a nation you can dream, the only difference is we have realised that through patience and pray, dreams do come true.

Big hearts, Huge moment, History's been made

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 06:54:28 PM »
aye like allyuh just want to leave out stern  ;D lol... hopefully kelvin would be keeping then or warner (if he ever improve) but for now hopefully kelvin would get a contract with a club that actually have class and test himself in a more potent league

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 07:11:18 PM »
Great, I can barely wait.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
WARRIORS 2010
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 06:18:11 AM »
So I believe that the name should stay. SOCA WARRIORS..... It landed us on the world map and it truely represents the Trinbago Island players.

What alyuh think?

PS this way all de web sites we have set up with warrior in it doh have to be redone. :devil:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WARRIORS 2010
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 06:32:03 AM »
I personally think Soca warriors here to stay .!

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: WARRIORS 2010
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 06:34:15 AM »
I really hope so!
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2006, 12:06:48 PM »
Trinidad Guardian
Sunday 2nd July, 2006
Govt must move, before we miss 2010 boat

If Government fails to begin discussions with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation, on the way forward to the World Cup finals in South Africa, in 2007, T&T would have missed the proverbial bus.

Local football jefe, Austin Jack Warner, does not mince words as he tells why this would be the unfortunate result if Government does not get cracking on football action.

And Warner, the special adviser to the TTFA and a Fifa vice president, says he does not even have to be in on those talks.

Q: Mr Warner, are you aware that you are indirectly accusing the Government of conning the Soca Warriors?

A: [In his high-backed, executive chair at his Concacaf office in Port-of-Spain, on Wednesday morning]. I wouldn’t use that word conning...

Pulling a fast one? 

I don’t even think it is pulling a fast one. Let me be kind to them and say that they are ignorant of the errors of their ways; also that in some ways, they have been poorly advised, and that the Minister of Sports has done the Prime Minister—his boss—a disservice.

But let me ask you, Clevon, Why did you use that word “conning?”

Didn’t you, this morning, tell The Gladiator that the players were led to believe they were to also receive house and land?

I did and, yes, they were led to believe that, and this was in the air long before the presentation ceremony last week, and no government official denied it.

You assumed that was the Government’s position?

That is what they assumed. Many of them said so and even Dennis Lawrence, when he spoke at Piarco Airport on December 16, said he spoke to the Prime Minister and he told players about house and land.

And you still don’t want to use the word conned?

[Mentally searching for the right words]. I can’t say... I want to... You see...

I find you are trying to be too diplomatic. Do you still have a diplomatic passport?

Yes? I still have it. But that is not the point. I want to be kind to Mr Manning. I don’t want to think that Mr Manning conned the guys, but if he did so, I would be the most disappointed person. And knowing him, I don’t think he would do that. But it could seem so from subsequent actions.

What do you mean by that?

The fact that the players did not get what they thought they would have gotten; the fact that there was no explanation of any kind; the fact that after eight months this event (Saturday’s programme) didn’t seem to take more than eight minutes to be put together. For all these reasons, I think the players have been left in a state of ignorance, so to speak.

Mr Warner, all things taken into consideration, starting from the day you began your campaign to have our boys reach the World Cup finals to today, how do you feel? Elated or sad?

[Brow furrowed]. A mixture of both. First of all, I feel tremendously elated in that my dream came true and has created a positive effect on and for Trinidad and Tobago.

I feel elated, because we went to Germany and were not humiliated in any way. On the contrary, we humiliated Sweden, and came very close to doing the same to England.

On the other hand, I am feeling a deep sadness [face drops], because I don’t feel that the aftermath of this tremendous achievement is being well handled and I also think that instead of the Prime Minister and his government using this situation to take the moral high ground, in some way they have tried to be very petty.

You see, Clevon, when you are the leader, you cannot afford to be petty. You have to take the high ground, and one of the reasons for Dookeran’s failure is his pettiness.

Look, Mr Warner, I am not giving you a platform to bash Mr Dookeran.

OK! I will tell you something. When I return from Germany next week, give me the occasion and I will tell you more about him. [A mischievous grin].

We shall see. We shall see. Are you saying that the tremendous outpouring of nationalism which our boys were able to whip up is in danger of being dissipated?

Eventually, it may well be so, but I think the people will continue to hold on to this precious moment for a very long time, in spite of the Government’s pettiness and the kind of barriers they want to put in place.

Look, Clevon [left elbow on his desk and pointing forward], the people demonstrated national unity and pride long before the Government, you know? On their buildings, their clothes, their vehicles and so on... long before the Government, you know?

The Government was eventually propelled into action following by this showing by the national community. At one time, the Government did not seem to understand what was being done.

Meaning?

You remember that statement from the Prime Minister?

To what statement are you referring?

What do you mean, Clevon? You did not read when he said...

...Don’t expect too much from the team?

If that was all he said it wouldn’t have been that bad, but again on Sweden, he said he hoped our team would not be humiliated. He said that [Eyes wide open].

You picked up that on the Internet? 

Of course. The players just couldn’t believe it, and they were asking how he could say “humiliated.” And the players are not stupid, Clevon. The public of Trinidad and Tobago is not stupid.

In what context are you saying that?

Yes. They understand that the Government has latched on to this for the fame, but they know very well that the Government cares very little about the game.

I am feeling a great sense of being let down, because again this government has lost a golden opportunity to capitalise in a number of areas, including pushing our culture on the international market.

Why, what went wrong here?

[Leaning forward and gently tapping his desk]. I don’t want to say anything at this time, but in spite of what anybody else might tell you, our cultural presentation in Germany was a fiasco. I say no more at this time.

Come on, Mr Warner, you cannot whet my journalistic appetite and leave me hanging high and dry... Come, give us some of the dirt, please?

[Relenting]. Very well. There was no organised plan for the performers. They didn’t know where a performance was taking place. And at one particular event, there was a massive audience.

Imagine people were asking me when is Carnival 2007? How do they get to Trinidad? I had to ask myself where the tourism representatives in Germany were at this time.

What do you think was responsible for this state of affairs?

Because there was a terrible lack of planning, and you want to hear something? Down to the very night when we landed in Germany, some people did not even know where they were sleeping.

Many did not know during their stay where their next meal was coming from. Don’t ask me. Ask the performers.

And Clevon, I don’t want to sound dramatic, but one thing which would cause me grief to my grave is the fact that Woodbrook Playboyz was not a part of the contingent.

They went all over the world with the Soca Warriors and the time it really mattered most, they were not there [Frowning]. And it was pure politics.

How could you lay this charge against the Government, when Mr Manning announced he had also invited you to hold discussions on the way forward to South Africa in 2010?

[A sheepish look from the rim of his spectacles]. You mean as an afterthought... an afterthought?

Wasn’t he reading from a prepared text?

Yes. A prepared speech which, if he had it properly vetted, he would have never said some of the things he said.

Mr Warner, the Sports Minister said last week that Trinidad and Tobago must now start preparing for South Africa. Have you heard from him since?

[Scowling]. Mr Boynes is a man for the gallery. He has consistently been so. He is very good at that.

It seems your opinion of him has not changed since last year, when in an interview, you referred to then adviser Anil Roberts as the real Minister of Sports?

Sometimes, Anil makes more sense than what the Ministry says and does. Anil raised the question of not honouring the technical staff and the Minister comes and compounds it by offering silly excuses. Fibs.

What is so wrong in coming forward to say it was an oversight or a mistake? But to try to implicate the players is unforgivable.

Mr Warner, 2010 is just around the corner. What is the way forward at this time for T&T’s football?

[Head bowed and in a hushed tone]. Clevon, let me tell you something. If within the next 15 days the Government does not sit down with the football federation and get its act together, we would have missed the boat to 2010.

Believe it to God. All the available top coaches around the world will be hired by other countries, including Beenhakker. And I do hope and pray that we do not wait for 15 days.

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited

Offline GyurlTrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2006, 03:09:28 PM »
hmm yea ... I didn't read everything that was posted, but in that last article, I have to agree with what Jack Warner said about the government not really seeming to care about the Warriors ... I've read one or two articles in the news papers here where the writers implied that they practically had to force the PM to make statements.
Luv Kat

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2006, 03:24:33 PM »

Samuel on the left, Carlos on the right. Cornell, Sealy and Hector Sam fight for the second striker role and Scotty and Jones as the main striker..pluse we always have young strikers comign through.Tha's the side for 2010...plus some youths who will make the transititon in the next 4 years. Let the rebuilding start now !

I like what you were saying,until Scotland & Jones as the main strikers,are you mad or still taking prozac,nothing less than Cornell Glenn with the second spot up for grabs..............

Offline mr.talented

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2006, 03:57:04 PM »
when digicel cup supposed to be?

"you could change your religion,your sex and everything else but not your football club"

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2006, 11:03:31 PM »
hmm yea ... I didn't read everything that was posted, but in that last article, I have to agree with what Jack Warner said about the government not really seeming to care about the Warriors ... I've read one or two articles in the news papers here where the writers implied that they practically had to force the PM to make statements.

ah tink Jack doing a Jedi mind trick on meh cause ah agree with him.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2006, 08:58:24 PM »
Trinidad Guardian
Tuesday 4th July, 2006
Boynes wants urgent meeting with TTFF

Minister says delay is not an option in this matter; needs estimate of Warriors’ expenses to prepare for South Africa in 2010

BY JUHEL BROWNE

Sports Minister Roger Boynes is requesting an urgent meeting with the T&T Football Federation (TTFF) before the end of this week to discuss the costs of the national football team’s campaign for the Fifa 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

The allocation for the team, officially dubbed the Soca Warriors, must be included in the Sports Ministry’s budget request for the Government’s 2007 national budget.

Boynes made the disclosure in an interview yesterday.

“I need to meet with them before the week is over. Delay is not an option in this matter. That is why we need to be in a position to meet with the TTFF now.

"I need to put it in my budget in the Ministry of Sports now,” Boynes said.

“All the ministries are preparing for the (2007) budget now.”

In the Face-to-Face interview published in the Sunday Guardian, Fifa vice president and TTFF adviser Jack Warner said if the Government did not meet with the federation within the next 15 days, this nation would not qualify for the 2010 World Cup.

“I understand Mr Warner has indicated there is a need for speed. I have also signalled, since last week, that there is a need for speed, so we are talking the same language,” Boynes said.

“I am in the process of sending out a letter today (yesterday) to the TTFF, asking for an urgent meeting to discuss the way forward.

"So if Mr Warner had mentioned there is a need for speed I want to agree with him.”

Warner had warned that if the Government did not meet the 15-day deadline, all the available top coaches around the world would be hired by other countries, including the T&T national team coach Leo Beenhakker.

Boynes said his meeting with the TTFF was meant to clarify the exact status of Beenhakker and his assistant coaches with the national team, so that the Government would know how much it would cost to keep them on board.

“We don’t want to lose any of the coaches,” Boynes said.

“We have a deadline for which we can get the information submitted for our budget.”

Boynes said the Manning administration's football development plan, which is being managed by its technical director Lincoln Phillips, was well underway.

He said the plan involved everything the team needed, including the coaches.

Prime Minister Patrick Manning has invited Warner, Beenhakker and Soca Warriors team captain Dwight Yorke to be a part of discussions to determine the role of the Government in getting T&T to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

While Warner has since expressed willingness to serve on a Government team on football, he has also declared his reservations in doing so.

Warner has, to date, received no financial or any other reward for his contribution to the Soca Warriors' 2006 World Cup first round qualification.

Beenhakker, his three assistant coaches and the team’s 24 players all received rewards totalling $31 million.

Beenhakker and the 24 players who represented T&T at the World Cup in Germany also each received the nation’s second highest award—the Chaconia Gold Medal.

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited

1]; } ?>