April 26, 2024, 09:49:16 AM

Author Topic: The Best & Worst so far from the London Times - T&T Prominent  (Read 3274 times)

Offline PEG

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Amazing that the armchair experts on this site finding fault with Beenie

From the Times of London

Best and wurst so far
We're at the mid-point in the tournament, days wise, Yes, it's really been two weeks since the opening ceremony. So, for what it's worth, here are my half-time awards... remaindered Goleo VI stuffed toys to them all.

Best coach
Leo Beenhakker. Always seemed to be on the brink of cantankerousness, which was entertaining, but got the most out of a limited Trinidad & Tobago team, and was unafraid to make bold decisions. Switching to 4-3-2 against Sweden by bringing on another striker, not a defender, when Trinidad had a man sent off, proved a masterstroke.

Silliest pre-match build-up
The pitchside interviews with Goleo VI, the tournament's camp, random and underpant-less lion mascot. Still, more insightful than Ian Wright.

Best post-match quotes
Marcos Paqueta, Saudi Arabia's Brazilian coach, after the 4-0 reverse by Ukraine: "Problems are for mere men. Challenges are for warriors. I look on life as a challenge. The future belongs only to God; I am at peace. In life we have to have hope. Only in death is there no hope."

Best German TV moment
The audience booing and hissing Peter Crouch, pantomime style, as slowed-up and enlarged footage showed him tugging Brent Sancho's hair as the forward scored against T&T. Crouch: an implausible villain.

Best newspaper headline
"England fans act better than expected" - from a Stuttgart paper.

Best question to which the answer is "no"
"Can the Czech Republic win this thing?" - me, writing straight after they demolished the US in their first group game.

Most glory-hunting fans
Brazil. Followed by legions of pasty-faced hangers-on who only know Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Ronaldinho and who have all the rhythm of a super-caffineated six-year-old banging away at a Casio keyboard they've been given for Christmas.

Best fans
It's tight between South Korea (blithely happy and as bouncy as Tigger on a pogo stick), Trinidad & Tobago (merry party people), Spain (colourful, rowdy but friendly), and Australia (non-stop noise in the stadium).

Worst fans
Saudi Arabia. Failed to fill their section against Ukraine and dozens walked out before the end. Admittedly, they were losing 4-0.

Most travelling fans
England. The English are everywhere. No match, no matter how obscure, is complete without dozens of St George's Cross flags professing loyalty to Stoke City, Leyton Orient, Tranmere Rovers and the like.

Most efficient Germans
Those in the media centre at Kaiserslautern who began the process of giving away my ticket because I arrived at the stadium 85 minutes before kick-off, not the required 90.

Worst Violence
A German teenager in an England shirt creeping up behind me and whacking me on the back of my legs with a Germany flag, then running away giggling. Perhaps possessed by the spirit of Ken Dodd and his tickle stick.

Best wurst
Currywurst from Wurst Paradise, Essen. Full of tender, juicy goodness. Well, maybe not goodness.

Worst wurst
Bockwurst, Stuttgart stadium media centre. Twenty centimetres of fleshy pink evil.

Best match I have seen
Australia 2 Croatia 2 or Italy 1 USA 1.

Best breach of stadium security
Honourable mention to the Croats who smuggled a dozen red flares into their match with Australia, but the award must go to the French supporter who brought a live cockerel into their match against South Korea. It flapped about a bit but went nowhere, much like Zinedine Zidane. Of course, anyone attempting to bring in a bottle of water would have been stopped. But poultry or fireworks, that's OK.

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
Re: The Best & Worst so far from the London Times - T&T Prominent
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 08:22:01 PM »
Amazing that the armchair experts on this site finding fault with Beenie

From the Times of London

Best and wurst so far
We're at the mid-point in the tournament, days wise, Yes, it's really been two weeks since the opening ceremony. So, for what it's worth, here are my half-time awards... remaindered Goleo VI stuffed toys to them all.

Best coach
Leo Beenhakker. Always seemed to be on the brink of cantankerousness, which was entertaining, but got the most out of a limited Trinidad & Tobago team, and was unafraid to make bold decisions. Switching to 4-3-2 against Sweden by bringing on another striker, not a defender, when Trinidad had a man sent off, proved a masterstroke.

Silliest pre-match build-up
The pitchside interviews with Goleo VI, the tournament's camp, random and underpant-less lion mascot. Still, more insightful than Ian Wright.

Best post-match quotes
Marcos Paqueta, Saudi Arabia's Brazilian coach, after the 4-0 reverse by Ukraine: "Problems are for mere men. Challenges are for warriors. I look on life as a challenge. The future belongs only to God; I am at peace. In life we have to have hope. Only in death is there no hope."

Best German TV moment
The audience booing and hissing Peter Crouch, pantomime style, as slowed-up and enlarged footage showed him tugging Brent Sancho's hair as the forward scored against T&T. Crouch: an implausible villain.

Best newspaper headline
"England fans act better than expected" - from a Stuttgart paper.

Best question to which the answer is "no"
"Can the Czech Republic win this thing?" - me, writing straight after they demolished the US in their first group game.

Most glory-hunting fans
Brazil. Followed by legions of pasty-faced hangers-on who only know Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Ronaldinho and who have all the rhythm of a super-caffineated six-year-old banging away at a Casio keyboard they've been given for Christmas.

Best fans
It's tight between South Korea (blithely happy and as bouncy as Tigger on a pogo stick), Trinidad & Tobago (merry party people), Spain (colourful, rowdy but friendly), and Australia (non-stop noise in the stadium).

Worst fans
Saudi Arabia. Failed to fill their section against Ukraine and dozens walked out before the end. Admittedly, they were losing 4-0.

Most travelling fans
England. The English are everywhere. No match, no matter how obscure, is complete without dozens of St George's Cross flags professing loyalty to Stoke City, Leyton Orient, Tranmere Rovers and the like.

Most efficient Germans
Those in the media centre at Kaiserslautern who began the process of giving away my ticket because I arrived at the stadium 85 minutes before kick-off, not the required 90.

Worst Violence
A German teenager in an England shirt creeping up behind me and whacking me on the back of my legs with a Germany flag, then running away giggling. Perhaps possessed by the spirit of Ken Dodd and his tickle stick.

Best wurst
Currywurst from Wurst Paradise, Essen. Full of tender, juicy goodness. Well, maybe not goodness.

Worst wurst
Bockwurst, Stuttgart stadium media centre. Twenty centimetres of fleshy pink evil.

Best match I have seen
Australia 2 Croatia 2 or Italy 1 USA 1.

Best breach of stadium security
Honourable mention to the Croats who smuggled a dozen red flares into their match with Australia, but the award must go to the French supporter who brought a live cockerel into their match against South Korea. It flapped about a bit but went nowhere, much like Zinedine Zidane. Of course, anyone attempting to bring in a bottle of water would have been stopped. But poultry or fireworks, that's OK.

yea man!!!Beenie, Sancho and all the fans!!!all of allyuh iz the best... next WC they'll have more to talk abt

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 08:44:57 PM »
Man, I was wondering how a man get a chicken in the stadium. it had moutains of water bottles outside,  man patting you down and you have a damn chicken?

Where the hell he put that? or better yet, what he tell security. Yeah, is just my cock. What? yuh find it big? nah, yuh cyah hold it, i doh roll so.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline mr.talented

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 09:01:08 PM »
 :rotfl:

"you could change your religion,your sex and everything else but not your football club"

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 09:32:51 PM »
Man, I was wondering how a man get a chicken in the stadium. it had moutains of water bottles outside,  man patting you down and you have a damn chicken?

Where the hell he put that? or better yet, what he tell security. Yeah, is just my cock. What? yuh find it big? nah, yuh cyah hold it, i doh roll so.

:rotfl: :rotfl:---coffee on d damn keyboard again  --

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 09:42:14 PM »
Take win on that one...
Man, I was wondering how a man get a chicken in the stadium. it had moutains of water bottles outside, man patting you down and you have a damn chicken?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 09:56:34 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 12:31:28 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl:---coffee on d damn keyboard again  --

me too  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline MalcolmS

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Sunnyside Thistle B FC
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 07:59:48 AM »
in Saturdays Times newspaper the writers covering the World Cup have named their best 11's based on the games watched so far.  Out out of 7 writers, three name T&T players in their "Team of the Tournament"!!

Rick Broadbent and Owen Slot would have Shaka in goals and Tom Dart (who had Kasey Keller in goals!) would have Carold Edwards and Dennis Lawrence in his top 11.   ;D ;D

Malcolm
Malcolm
Falkirk Bairn
www.stbfc.com

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 10:28:27 AM »

this is one ah de funniest posts i see on this forum. TRINI PPL IS DE WORST. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Rani5

• Soca Warriors!: Going for Gold
  • New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 05:18:07 PM »
Best fans

THAT is sooooooooo true! we should be the best fans, esp for our relatively small numbers! we are merry and party loving ppl!  ;D :beermug:
*Necessity is the Mother of Invention*

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 07:23:20 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
TnT Patriot

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 08:43:47 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Oh yeeeess!
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 07:50:03 AM »
good one :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :devil: :rotfl: ;D

1]; } ?>