April 24, 2024, 10:24:43 PM

Author Topic: WARRIORS given....  (Read 7747 times)

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
WARRIORS given....
« on: June 24, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »
24 players got 1 million each..
        750 k in Unit
        250 k cash

3 assistants got 250 k cash

16 players who did not get to germany got 250 k
        200 k Units
          50 k cash

Capt Dwight Yorke
         Additionally got 1.25 million
         Appointed as Sports Ambassador ( he is to be addressed as His Excellency)

Don Leo Beenhaker
         1 million cash

« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 04:16:23 PM by oconnorg »
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WARRIORS given....
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 04:17:18 PM »
only cash but no real estate? they got screwed again

Offline Rymizx

• Full Warrior
  • It's a small world ! - No Really...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 04:21:42 PM »
Putting it in perspective. That is not enough......,
Gov't should guarentee each of them a house or apartment.
Free entry to any event in any stadium for life..
One thing I like is the money management advice. As long a it not done by people like Kuei tung, or ISH, or Johnny O'Hallaran.......

Out of 200+ footballing nations we reach the top 32..
Out of this 32 we finish with 1 point and -4 goals, not scoring any,
, but we could say we come 21st over all.

Offline lihalquay

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 04:39:52 PM »
Yes more could have been given but what about the corporate sector what are they are going to give them..I bet ............NADA

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 04:52:54 PM »
Yeah I wanna see the corporate sector step up..dem is the real waggonist who make so much money and mileage out of the soca warriors and selling soca warriors merchandise and all. let we see them give the players money and pump money into football now

Offline Warrior30

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 05:21:05 PM »
so de backroom staff aint get nothing.. assistant coaches, managers, SHAUN, equip. manager????

if that is so that is SAD
For de love of de game

Offline Ardent Fan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 05:24:24 PM »
Did they name the 16 players???

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 05:28:18 PM »
I fine that is a great package....I especially like the inclusion of some that did not get to Germany...
Look there are many T&T athletes who represent T&T for nothing, they are not professionals, they usyally have to take time off from work, and pay their way for most things, and they get nothing - hockey, cricket, basketball, athletics...etc...they are represent just as hard and work even harder....these guys have reciieved more than they need....Most of these guys will be living in foreign, what they go do with house in T&T...who want house in T&T could have afforded it before the WC..I think the guys would be glad..
so de backroom staff aint get nothing.. assistant coaches, managers, SHAUN, equip. manager????

if that is so that is SAD

an wha bout the fans who pay they cash to go support, and ah lil sumting for the staff who have to clean up after everybody make dey mess in de stadium, after the Mexico game....I guess everybody deserve ah lil sometin, someting.....buh bet somebody will always get leff, an someone wouldn't get enuff....Old man and the Donkey over an over....
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 05:33:26 PM by maxg »

Offline socadaddy

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 05:32:50 PM »
i doh believe allyuh nuh ! a million dollars not enough ??
dazz a rel good gift.
how many of yall realise d avg age of d team is about 30? that rel young and izz not like de govt should give dem a million and house and land.
all that will create is an idea in their minds that dey life fix, no need to work for nuttin again.
let dem use da $$ in unit trust as investment for d future.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 05:39:04 PM »
that good me doh business

playing in de national juzzy would be enough fuh me
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 05:43:25 PM »
that is more than enough money....what dey should be doing is giving sports scholarships or opening academy's in the name of players or on behalf of players....the warriors will make their money....doh get meh wrong but how much money Yorkie make last year alone from the A-League
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 05:47:08 PM »
Source please?
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 05:53:40 PM »

source:

manning was on tv today and told the nation what they would be getting.

i find that it was real gift. the shares would be worth alot in years to come and also the managing the money workshop. thats a great idea. man go want to go in the zen and spend all that paper. and go broke.

goverment did well i found. 23 pieces of land with the million would be redicilous...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 06:39:24 PM »
I can't see how that's not enough. I would have played for free. Just being at the WC would have been enough for me. I guess money is everything.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 06:41:17 PM »
After being off due to technical difficulties....I'm back....leh meh start....

Dat is a real good deal. I like that the players & tech staff got theirs, not the TTFF. Doh care how much money Jack and dem put out, dat is allyuh job!

Why should de government give de players land? You have any idea how much dramas it is to build house in T&T nowadays? Besides, the majority of the team live abroad, and after earning a salary the likes of which we will never see in our ordinary lives, I asure you they done have their house set up. I know for a fact some have more than one house in Trinidad and in Tobago. So they got money, plus shares, great. It's good for the local players as well.

Yes, we want to pay tribute to the first guys to do it and go all the way to the world cup. But many athletes have represented T&T over the years and asked (and got) nothing in return. So I am happy that they have been rewarded, but not in some outrageous way that belies the hard and in some cases poverty ridden lives of the average man in the street.
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline Latent

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 07:40:22 PM »
I think that they were well rewarded. Hopefully, they will remain totally commited to playing football and improving and continue to bring fame and happiness not only to themselves but to us the people of Trinidad and and Tobago

GO SOCA WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 07:54:48 PM »
As long as Hardest is one of the 16 men getting 250K everything cool

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 09:13:03 PM »
They didn't look happy to me but you   know what get me vex was  when they forgot to give Spann a medal , is only because of the crowd he get call up and he still ain't get a medal!!!!!!!! >:(

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 09:18:20 PM »
Millionaire Warriors
http://guardian.co.tt/news2.html   

BY GIZELLE MORRIS

After months of secrecy, Prime Minister Patrick Manning unveiled a multi-million-dollar reward package, yesterday, for T&T’s Soca Warriors.

The package included $1.2 million gift and a diplomatic passport for captain Dwight Yorke, $1 million each for the 24 players and the nation’s second highest award for the team.

Addressing the crowd at the Government’s welcome home tribute to T&T’s national football team at Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port-of-Spain, Manning said the team deserved a just, fair and reasonable reward for their achievements.

While the crowd shouted its approval, Manning unwrapped a package totalling $ 31 million, the long-promised reward for the team’s qualification for the World Cup Finals in Germany.

It was last month, after private talks with Manning at Whitehall, that Yorke had said Manning promised to reward generously the players and members of the technical staff after the World Cup.

In addition to their cash bonuses, Manning said the Central Bank Governor was asked to arrange workshops on money management for the footballers.

“Save, Warriors, save. Save like Shaka Hislop, put your bounty to good use. You must save for a rainy day, now that you are prosperous and strong,” Manning advised the players.

Manning thanked the footballers for bringing the people of T&T together in unity and scoring “five goals” for T&T.

The goals Manning referred to, however, were off rather than on the football field.

He said the Soca Warriors made T&T known throughout “every nook and cranny” in the world, and kept the flag flying high in the global arena.

The second goal Manning identified was the Warriors’ “inspirational performance” and show of discipline on the football field.

He also thanked the team for helping place T&T’s culture on the world stage and opening the door to further economic growth.

As a result of the headway made in Germany, said Manning, trade missions are planned for Europe, Asia and the Far East with the first delegation to Europe leaving at the end of July.

Manning also said Yorke, who was called out of retirement to captain the team, was a positive leader and indefatigable, articulate helmsman who deserved to be recognised and rewarded for his outstanding leadership.

“As soon as he is available he will join Brian Lara as a sports ambassador for T&T in the international community.”

But while Manning heaped praise on the team for most of his address, Fifa vice president Jack Warner—the man some credit with getting the Soca Warriors to Germany—was mentioned only in passing near the end of the Prime Minister’s speech.

“Finally!” one woman commented as Manning mentioned Warner’s name.

“I would like to thank Mr Austin Jack Warner most sincerely for contributing to the success of the Warriors and the development of football.

“If it was not for his effort, we might not have made it to Germany.”

As the crowd cheered, Manning invited Warner, Beenhakker and Yorke to be a part of discussions to determine the role of Government in getting T&T to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

“We must not only go to South Africa, but qualify for the second round and must be favourites to win in the next World Cup...

“Government will ensure we do everything possible to build on the achievement.”

The Prime Minister also announced a package for the growth of sport in T&T.

This included making the Ato Boldon Stadium home of the national football team and using the Manny Ramjohn stadium in Couva for the development of track and field athletes.

Yorke, who also addressed the fans, thanked Warner and the public for their support.

“It is important to see all of you come out in your numbers to support what we tried to achieve.

“I know some had doubts about the Soca Warriors, but we wanted to prove to the world we belonged on the world stage.”

Later, those members of the team present were awarded the Chaconia Gold Medal by acting President Dr Linda Baboolal, in a special investiture ceremony.

When the team arrived in the Stadium at just after 5 pm to deafening cheers, there were more empty seats than people in the venue, with only the covered stands boasting a crowd.

As the evening wore on, however, people flooded the venue.

As the team members took their seats in a special VIP area, eager fans, mainly scantily-clad women, rushed towards the team and almost succeeded in mobbing the smiling players.

Soldiers and police, armed with large sub-machine guns, had to form a human chain to hold back the mass of bodies.

Among the dignitaries attending the event were former presidents Ellis Clarke and ANR Robinson, who wore a Soca Warriors football jersey, and several members of Manning’s Cabinet.

Included in the generous bounty announced by Prime Minister:

* The nation’s second highest award, the Chaconia Gold Medal, for the 24 footballers who represented T&T in Germany.

* $250,000 each for the 16 members of the national squad who were not selected for the matches, ($200,000 in units from the Unit Trust Corporation, $50,000 in cash)

* $250,000 cash for each of three assistants to Dutch coach Leo Beenhakker.

* $1 million for each of the 24 players who travelled to Germany. ($750,000 in UTC units and $250,000 cash).

* $1 million cash and the Chaconia Gold Medal for Beenhakker.

* $1.2 million for team captain Dwight Yorke ($1 million units, $250, 000 cash), along with the title of His Excellency as a Sports Ambassador of T&T.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline prodigy23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 09:21:56 PM »
dat money good enough!! ttrinidad 2 small 2 be giving away land every minute, i want to have sum for me to buy when i come back home, so they could take d million an cool it :P

Offline mr.talented

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2006, 09:23:15 PM »
They didn't look happy to me but you   know what get me vex was  when they forgot to give Spann a medal , is only because of the crowd he get call up and he still ain't get a medal!!!!!!!! >:(

dat was shamefull eh?

but they could afford to give them land and house to man...all the houses they building now 23 out of a couple hundred is small ting...

"you could change your religion,your sex and everything else but not your football club"

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2006, 09:36:30 PM »
Hopefuly dey get de land under de table  :devil:

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2006, 09:37:38 PM »
Honestly, de govt do moret han I expected..... I stand corrected, I thought they would have side footed the respopnsibility to pthe players..... What they gave wasn't mind bloggling and yet it was not disrespectful.... very fair Again Congrats to all the players...... now I hope the govt can follow thru and infuse money into the youth system.......

Offline Ardent Fan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
16 Players....
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2006, 10:02:36 PM »
Did they name the 16 players?

Offline mr.talented

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 06:48:39 AM »
i doh think so...

"you could change your religion,your sex and everything else but not your football club"

Offline doh_stick

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2006, 07:19:58 AM »
Good work- Happy the team got rewarded and I hope they put their $ to good use...

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2006, 07:24:55 AM »
Allyuh doh get vex with me eh. but I have a slightly different spin on the thing.

Firstly, I was considering the salaries these players earn.  Maybe around 1000 pounds a week average ?
That should work out to around TT$40,000.00 a month.  That even more than the prime minister making.  So them fellas not hungry..if yuh know what ah mean.

Secondly they not living here and a lot of them have house and land here already anyway.
So I would have given them a bounty yes, but less than the million and mix it up with things that they family could benefit from too.  Things like free medical for they family for 5 yrs, deferred full scholarships for their children when they come of age...or anybody they nominate to benefit from things like that.  Free flights on the national airline for a time.  Free entry to all football games for life.  Do things so that their names will live on...so when we grandchildren ask us "why they name that buidling Yorke Towers ?"  we could say because he was the capt of the first (hopefully not only) T&T team to make the WC in 2006...we used to call them the Soca Warriors (wiping the tears from our eyes).

You see when yuh look at the WHOLE picture, we really rewarding the fellas for making it to the WC, which is the best accomplishment ever.  The performance in the WC was beyond expectations because we never see the team play so before...I hope they continue to play so....but the results were ordinary by world standards.  Off course we do better than plenty other so called big teams.

My concern is that there were other performances that should have been recognised in the past and were not.  The NATIONAL cricket team just months ago won the regional titles...both one-day and first class.  That was after a drought of more than 20 yrs in the wilderness, and NOBODY came to meet them in the airport.  No bounty was bestowed on them, even though is only regional and not a world event.  George Bovel, first medal for swimming in the olympics. What Ato get ? Hasely Crawford just get a house the other day.  Only Lara really get tangible pips. But forget about the past.  What about the future ?  Will the team to make WC 2010 expect the same bounty or more after yuh consider inflation.  What about the Olympic teams of the future ?

As some of you mention, just putting on the jersey and representing mih country woulda be thanks enough.

As for the talk about bringing the country together like no other politicians before....that is a bunch of BS as far as I am concern.  Because the same day we play Paraguay...man was getting gun down in town and a couple people get chop up for one reason or the other.   UNC still fighting with PNM, and UNC still fighting in between deyself too.  Indian and African still behavin like the country is dem own alone.  What dey should say is that for a period in time everybody shared a common interest in wanting the warriors to win dey matches.

But the performances did insprire pride in all of us, and the PM put it nice too in that a lot of benefits came from the off-de-field antics rather than on-de-field preformances.  Let we hope the stadium could be even half full for the next warrior game...otherwise you woud see how much waggonist it have in this country.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2006, 07:47:28 AM »
For men to say that this reward was not enough is absurd.  Me personally, that is a great package for Professional footballers.  Why do we continue to think that the government has to provide everything for its citizens or sportsmen, is the country Socialist or Communist?? 

The team did us proud and they have been rewarded by the government.  If additional rewards are to follow, it should come from the private sector including all of us fans.  But having heard the grumblings on this site about higher ticket prices.........

WE are not a one sport country.  We may be rich in some things but we are still a developing country.  Rather than make issues with Professional ballers getting $1 Million for making the World Cup, maybe we whould be arguing about better health care, better roads, better security and greater transparency of public officials in the country .

Who Vex, VEX.

Blessings.
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2006, 07:51:30 AM »
I think that the rewards were a bit shy but it's more than I expected. I am so happy that someone finally stepped up and took inatitive for our athletes. In 97 when I left to go to college and run track in Baltimore, these incentives we just a dream. To get a good uniform and shoes were a great reward.

I was driving home and I stopped at the football field near my home. I saw all these rich parents (middle and upper) Paying all dis money to put their kids in football leagues and to go to camp etc. Reminded me ah my days when you stayed after school to play. The ony thing close to a coach was a PE teacher who eventually may have become a school coach for track or football.

It made me think of what the Warriors who are home grown, those who played in SSFL and dreamed impossible dreams. And now dey in de big screen.

they should recieve all that dey deserve and, thank you MR Manning for all you have done. With out playing with dem Warriors emotions, and giving dem a just reward. Plus panning for our future as a nation in Sport.

MickeyRat

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2006, 08:24:54 AM »
Half of all-yuh poor-greats does talk real shit and sound like some real cunnies sometimes.  Yuh eh feel what they got is more than enough? 

1]; } ?>