April 27, 2024, 01:17:00 AM

Author Topic: How is it decided?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
How is it decided?
« on: July 03, 2006, 10:12:07 AM »
What happens in the case where in a group of 4 teams (WC) if the second and thrid place team have identical points, their head to head game was tied and they both scored and conceded the same amount of goals?

What decides which team moves on to the next round? I'm guessing have have something to do with who was considered the home team when the 2 teams met?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: How is it decided?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 10:14:15 AM »
What happens in the case where in a group of 4 teams (WC) if the second and thrid place team have identical points, their head to head game was tied and they both scored and conceded the same amount of goals?

What decides which team moves on to the next round? I'm guessing have have something to do with who was considered the home team when the 2 teams met?

Who scored more goals in WC qualifying I believe, then if that's the same, coin toss if I'm not mistaken.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 10:18:16 AM »

Who scored more goals in WC qualifying I believe, then if that's the same, coin toss if I'm not mistaken.

would have like to see a team eliminated by coin toss, it would have been real riots

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 12:59:45 PM »
taken from the World Cup Official Programme (English Edition) page 160

WHO ADVANCES

The ranking of each team in the group matches will be determined in the following ways:

a) Number of points from all group matches

b) Goal difference from all group matches

c) Number of goals scored in all group matches

if two or more teams are still tied, the ranking will be determined according to the following criteria:

d) Number of points from the head-to-head games between the tied teams in the group matches

e) Goal difference from the head-to-head games between the tied teams in the group matches

f) Number of goals scored in the head-to-head matches of the tied teams

g) Drawing of lots by the Organising Committee of the FIFA World Cup
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 01:11:46 PM »
Remember Italia 90 when Holland and Ireland drew lots to see who would finish second and third in their group?

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 01:20:14 PM »
i think drawing lots is very unfair especially to the loser

a bare-knuckle fight between the team captains would be a fairer and more entertaining way of deciding who advances
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 01:21:36 PM »
i think drawing lots is very unfair especially to the loser

a bare-knuckle fight between the team captains would be a fairer and more entertaining way of deciding who advances

A game of Winning 11 where each captain plays with the opposing side.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 02:06:22 PM »
thx for the info

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 02:18:08 PM »

fuh a mod yuh rel clueless

1]; } ?>