March 29, 2024, 09:55:58 AM

Author Topic: Spann to share $$ with mom, church.  (Read 6588 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Spann to share $$ with mom, church.
« on: June 27, 2006, 05:06:59 AM »
Spann to share $$ with mom, church.
With: Ria Ali (Express).
[/size]

A HOUSE FOR JOY.
Soca Warriors midfielder Silvio Spann plans to get his mother, Joy, a house with the $1 million he has received from Government for his contribution to the team's effort in the just concluded 2006 World Cup. Spann made the comment after he was officially given the Chaconia Gold Medal by acting President Dr Linda Baboolal yesterday, at an official ceremony at President's House, St Ann's.
Spann was part of the Soca Warriors team as they were honoured during a national rally at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Saturday.
However, he was embarrassingly overlooked when Prime Minister Patrick Manning's Government handed out awards and financial rewards totalling close to $31 million.
That was corrected yesterday when a release from the PM's Office confirmed Spann would be receiving his awards, $750,000 in units from the Unit Trust Corporation and $250,000 in cash-the same as was offered to the members of the squad.
The release also said the issue of appropriate recognition for other members of the technical staff who were not honoured on Saturday was also being addressed with team manager Bruce Aanensen.
During yesterday's ceremony, which was attended by Sports Minister Roger Boynes, Baboolal urged the footballer to "continue to serve your country in the way you have done", after presenting him with his medal.
Spann was injured in the pre-World Cup build-up and was replaced in the final squad by German-based midfielder Evans Wise.
His mother, in commenting on Spann's injury and subsequent absence from the team, admitted she was still "disappointed" in the way he was treated after he picked up the injury.
"They just left him and didn't give him the support he needed," she said.
However, both Spann and his mother were elated that he was finally rewarded for his contribution to the team.
"He is a hero in his own way, he did help the team get where they are," she said.
According to Boynes, Spann was "legally" on the Trinidad and Tobago team and thus due recognition should be given to him.
When asked what he intended to do with his million, Spann, a devout Christian, said he would "help his mom get a house". After this, he said he would donate 10 per cent to his church, Miracle Ministries, of Chase Village.
Govt not to blame for Spann mix-up.
By: Walter Alibey (Newsday).
[/size]

Government is not to blame for Saturday’s omission of striker Silvio Spann from a list of national footballers who received the Chaconia Gold Medal the country’s second highest award at a function at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
Spann was on Monday given the medal from Acting President Dr Linda Baboolal at a special function at President’s House, St Ann’s. The 24 players picked to represent Trinidad and Tobago in the World Cup Finals in Germany also received $1 million each broken down in $750,000 in units at the Unit Trust Corporation (UTC) and $250,000 in cash.
In addition captain Dwight Yorke got $1 million in UTC units and $250,000 in cash for his leadership of the team.
Spann who was left out of the team because of injury was surprisingly excluded from the list of players who were called up to receive a medal on Saturday until the crowd called for him to be recognised also.
On Monday Minister of Sport and Youth Affair Roger Boynes said that he received a list of 23 players from the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) who were to be awarded and Spann’s name was not on it.
The list was reportedly requested from the Players’ Committee which consisted captain Dwight Yorke, goalkeepers Shaka Hislop and Kelvin Jack, striker Stern John and defenders Brent Sancho and Dennis Lawrence. However Shaun Fuentes the Communications Officer of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) said the Sport and Youth Affairs Ministry had requested the list be faxed to them after the Soca Warriors encounter with England on June 15 in Nuremburg. He noted that Government had initially asked for a list of 40 national players comprising the 24 players in Germany as well as the 16 footballers who played in the earlier World Cup qualifying round.
Government also gave the 16 players a gift of some $250,000 in units at the UTC and $50,000 in cash.
Boynes on Monday also cleared the air on the request from the technical staff to receive the Chaconia Gold Medal and calls to reward Jack Warner for his role in getting the national team to the World Cup Finals.
He noted that Prime Minister Patrick Manning has invited Warner, captain Dwight Yorke and coach, Dutchman Leo Beenhakker to a discussion at a time convenient to them to chart the way foward in the sport in TT saying that at that meeting PM Manning with sort out the different requests.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 07:14:51 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline trini_chris

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Spann to share $$ with mom, church.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 05:58:47 AM »
big up 2 my boy silvio. i real admire his strength and courage. spann boy you are a true warrior. i wish silvio only great things in life. may God continue 2 bless Spann.
d original WARRIOR PRINCESS. win or lose i am a FIGHTER.

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 08:22:52 AM »
Same as Trini Chris.

If only more of our youth were like Silvio ... hmmmm.

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 08:29:40 AM »
Well done Spann, d more u give is d more ul get... :beermug:
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline Source

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 11:43:12 AM »
I'm expecting great things from Spann. This young fella grounded.

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 02:21:52 PM »
big up 2 my boy silvio. i real admire his strength and courage. spann boy you are a true warrior. i wish silvio only great things in life. may God continue 2 bless Spann.

:) ;) He made me real proud to be a young trini.  :D

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 03:09:39 PM »
well done spann,you have a truly bright future

Offline Karasi

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 08:37:14 PM »
Silvio your grace on Saturday was amazing but not surprising as you are so centered.  Look at the experience of being overlooked initially for what it was - somebody's mistake arising no doubt out of ignorance.  I am sure you have already forgiven.  Blessings.  All the best to you and your family.  You are an inspiration

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 08:32:25 AM »

well done spann true trini  :beermug:

Offline Latent

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 09:05:45 PM »
Well done Spann  :beermug: :beermug:

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 09:10:23 PM »
 :salute: :salute: Ypu are pure class ....respect !!!
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline joadav

• New Warrior
  • Tortola BVI here I come!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 08:23:51 AM »
Yes Silvio is certainly an exemplar, I felt really proud of him and how he handled the situation... His faith shall see him through! 
*ht007

1]; } ?>