March 29, 2024, 02:26:23 AM

Author Topic: Technical staff left out Soca Warriors' windfall  (Read 4438 times)

Offline Warrior30

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Technical staff left out Soca Warriors' windfall
« on: June 25, 2006, 10:34:06 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=160973695 >

'It was embarrassing'

Technical staff left out Soca Warriors' windfall

Ian Prescott

Monday, June 26th 2006

Soca Warriors manager Bruce Aanensen, left, and trainer Wayne Lawson look on at proceedings during the presentation of awards to the Trinidad and Tobago national football team on Saturday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

WHILE the Soca Warriors received millions in cash and UTC units and national awards from the Government of Trinidad and Tobago as rewards for their performances at the 2006 World Cup , some of the squad's backroom staff are upset at being overlooked by Government.

Members of the team's technical staff are disappointed that their contribution to the World Cup success was not recognised by the T&T Government.

Not mentioned for reward in Prime Minister Patrick Manning's speech at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Saturday were Bruce Aanensen (Manager); George Joseph (Assistant manager); Zephrinus Nicholas (Trainer/physio); Dr Terrence Babwah (Team doctor); Wayne Lawson (Physical trainer), Ikin Williams (Equipment manager); Esmond O'Brien (Assistant equipment manager); Dutch assistant coach/scout Mario Been; Oba Gulston (Physiotherapist); team chef Cecil Wint; media officer Shaun Fuentes; European manager Hans Hagelstein; nor ex-scout David Nakhid and Sam Phillips, who was also assistant manager up to the World Cup qualifying match against Bahrain last November.

On Saturday, Manning announced that each of the 24 members of the T&T World Cup squad-including Silvio Spann, who was injured just before the start of the tournament and replaced by Evans Wise-will receive $1 million, consisting of $750,000 in UTC units and $250,000 cash.

In addition, the 16 footballers failing to make the final roster will get $200,000 in units and $50,000 cash.

Team captain Dwight Yorke received $1 million in units and $250,000 cash.

Assistant coaches Wim Rijsbergen (Holland), Anton Corneal (T&T) and goalkeeper coach Michael Maurice will each receive $250,000.

Dutch head coach Leo Beenhakker was offered $1 million cash and the Chaconia Medal (Gold) for steering T&T to their first-ever World Cup Finals.

In announcing the rewards to be given to the players, Manning said: "This is one of the happiest occasions for me, as Prime Minister, to address the people of our nation. I feel extremely honoured, and on behalf of the entire nation, let me say how grateful I am to the Soca Warriors for providing this unprecented opportunity. The Warriors have filled the hearts of our entire nation with pride."

But team trainer/physio Nicholas said he was embarrassed that their contribution to the Soca Warriors' World Cup campaign went unrecognised.

Nicholas, who helped with the team's physical preparation during qualifying and at the World Cup, returns to his duties today as physical training instructor (PTI) with the Defence Force.

"It was embarrassing," he said, commenting on Saturday's slight at the Stadium. "But I expected that, because people do not show any respect to their own. I can't do anything about it, so life goes on. If they think that the players just went out there on their own with Beenhakker and did well at the World Cup, then the Prime Minister should not have a Cabinet.

"But, I not taking on that...the man above, he gives me my reward. I take this experience, put it in a bottle, and save it. After that, life goes on as usual."

Equipment manager Williams was also dismayed.

Having served many years in that capacity with T&T national football teams, Williams said: "I was very disappointed. But, if they wanted to give us something, it is up to them. Maybe they have something for us, but just have not announced it yet."

After checking out of the Crowne Plaza Hotel, where the team stayed following the awards function on Saturday, manager Aanensen offered little comment yesterday, but there was obvious disappointment in his voice.

The normally very forthright Aanensen said: "I'm just chilling out for a few days. Right now, I'm not sure I want to comment on what went on there. Maybe on Tuesday."

Apart from the slight on the part of the Government, Nicholas rates the World Cup experience as the best in his career.

He was thrilled to work on the same stage with teams such as England and Sweden and to observe the techniques of their trainers.

"I got the chance to see how the mighty England train. Their players wanted for nothing. They had five, six trainers...people to bring them water on the field, and everything they needed.

"Yet, we, little Trinidad and Tobago, were able to put up a fight against them."

For de love of de game

Offline SweetParkie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Technical staff left out Soca Warriors' windfall
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 12:20:39 AM »
What about the cultural support peeps that travel to Germany? Yuh aint find they should get too? ???
Nothing cyar satisfy Trinis nah. ??? If yuh want to give the Technical staff...Take, Wise, Wolfe and Spann money reduce it by half and split it amount the tech staff...yuh think that would be cool? :devil:
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy!

Trinidadians unite and respect each other!!!

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
It was embarrassing; Technical staff left out Soca Warriors' windfall
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 06:46:38 AM »

Soca Warriors manager Bruce Aanensen, left, and trainer Wayne Lawson look on at proceedings during the presentation of awards to the Trinidad and Tobago national football team on Saturday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

WHILE the Soca Warriors received millions in cash and UTC units and national awards from the Government of Trinidad and Tobago as rewards for their performances at the 2006 World Cup , some of the squad's backroom staff are upset at being overlooked by Government.

Members of the team's technical staff are disappointed that their contribution to the World Cup success was not recognised by the T&T Government.

Not mentioned for reward in Prime Minister Patrick Manning's speech at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Saturday were Bruce Aanensen (Manager); George Joseph (Assistant manager); Zephrinus Nicholas (Trainer/physio); Dr Terrence Babwah (Team doctor); Wayne Lawson (Physical trainer), Ikin Williams (Equipment manager); Esmond O'Brien (Assistant equipment manager); Dutch assistant coach/scout Mario Been; Oba Gulston (Physiotherapist); team chef Cecil Wint; media officer Shaun Fuentes; European manager Hans Hagelstein; nor ex-scout David Nakhid and Sam Phillips, who was also assistant manager up to the World Cup qualifying match against Bahrain last November.

On Saturday, Manning announced that each of the 24 members of the T&T World Cup squad-including Silvio Spann, who was injured just before the start of the tournament and replaced by Evans Wise-will receive $1 million, consisting of $750,000 in UTC units and $250,000 cash.

In addition, the 16 footballers failing to make the final roster will get $200,000 in units and $50,000 cash.

Team captain Dwight Yorke received $1 million in units and $250,000 cash.

Assistant coaches Wim Rijsbergen (Holland), Anton Corneal (T&T) and goalkeeper coach Michael Maurice will each receive $250,000.

Dutch head coach Leo Beenhakker was offered $1 million cash and the Chaconia Medal (Gold) for steering T&T to their first-ever World Cup Finals.

In announcing the rewards to be given to the players, Manning said: "This is one of the happiest occasions for me, as Prime Minister, to address the people of our nation. I feel extremely honoured, and on behalf of the entire nation, let me say how grateful I am to the Soca Warriors for providing this unprecented opportunity. The Warriors have filled the hearts of our entire nation with pride."

But team trainer/physio Nicholas said he was embarrassed that their contribution to the Soca Warriors' World Cup campaign went unrecognised.

Nicholas, who helped with the team's physical preparation during qualifying and at the World Cup, returns to his duties today as physical training instructor (PTI) with the Defence Force.

"It was embarrassing," he said, commenting on Saturday's slight at the Stadium. "But I expected that, because people do not show any respect to their own. I can't do anything about it, so life goes on. If they think that the players just went out there on their own with Beenhakker and did well at the World Cup, then the Prime Minister should not have a Cabinet.

"But, I not taking on that...the man above, he gives me my reward. I take this experience, put it in a bottle, and save it. After that, life goes on as usual."

Equipment manager Williams was also dismayed.

Having served many years in that capacity with T&T national football teams, Williams said: "I was very disappointed. But, if they wanted to give us something, it is up to them. Maybe they have something for us, but just have not announced it yet."

After checking out of the Crowne Plaza Hotel, where the team stayed following the awards function on Saturday, manager Aanensen offered little comment yesterday, but there was obvious disappointment in his voice.

The normally very forthright Aanensen said: "I'm just chilling out for a few days. Right now, I'm not sure I want to comment on what went on there. Maybe on Tuesday."

Apart from the slight on the part of the Government, Nicholas rates the World Cup experience as the best in his career.

He was thrilled to work on the same stage with teams such as England and Sweden and to observe the techniques of their trainers.

"I got the chance to see how the mighty England train. Their players wanted for nothing. They had five, six trainers...people to bring them water on the field, and everything they needed.

"Yet, we, little Trinidad and Tobago, were able to put up a fight against them."

Kingman
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 06:52:10 AM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 10:24:36 AM »
In case some of u do not realize that the team includes the technical staff. So yes they should have been included.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 10:40:07 AM »
i would feel real bad if i was dem buh wa yuh go do
people only see wa happens on de outside not all de inner workings

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why don't the Players contribute towards the Technical Staff's Reward?
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 03:23:19 PM »
People are making a fuss about the fact that the Technical Staff did not get a monetary reward from the Government.  However, this can be solved very simply, and in a way with a lot of precedent.

If each player on the team that just received $250,000 in cash and another $750,000 in Units contributes say $10,000 in cash to a pool, the total can be shared amongst the Technical Staff.

This is done in Major League Baseball every year at the end of the season.  Apart from the small money salary that many club house workers get, the players contribute to a pool and share up money for them at the end of each season.

Dwight as skipper should call for this.  Of course, if a player does not wish to contribute, he would be free not to do so.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
I disagree.  The players have been recognised by the relevant authority.  The backroom staff should be similarly recognised by the same authority.  I'm not saying that the players cannot show their own appreciation to the backroom staff, but to put the onus on them to reward the  backroom staff is not the right thing to do in my opinion. 

How would you feel as a backroom staff member if players came up to you and said...hey....u eh get nutting so  we givin yuh a lil something.  I would appreciate the gesture but wouldn't want the players to be put in a position where they feel they HAVE TO DO THAT.

Jes my 2 cents.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

TrinInfinite

People are making a fuss about the fact that the Technical Staff did not get a monetary reward from the Government. However, this can be solved very simply, and in a way with a lot of precedent.

If each player on the team that just received $250,000 in cash and another $750,000 in Units contributes say $10,000 in cash to a pool, the total can be shared amongst the Technical Staff.

This is done in Major League Baseball every year at the end of the season. Apart from the small money salary that many club house workers get, the players contribute to a pool and share up money for them at the end of each season.

Dwight as skipper should call for this. Of course, if a player does not wish to contribute, he would be free not to do so.

why doesnt the pnm own up to everyone instead of taking away from the players, why de players have tuh dip in dey pocket, when manning should compensate the staff also, its de govt responsibility not de players, my 3 cents

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
and who is to say they are not getting anything...and the next thing we go be saying maybe the TTFF should get ah bonus for having the foresight tuh hire Don Leo ....Why everything have to be the government responsibility. The people with this responsibilty is the head organization of football in Trinidad and Tobago. The same way we want to pressure the government...oops sorry ...pressure the PNM we should now start pressuring the TTFF to get their act together and put plans in place in the area of generating funds for the Federation. This thing with the government having tuh fund everything football....starting tuh get ole. Let de TTFF get off dey arse and do some f**king work for a change nah!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 08:08:06 PM by Tongue »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 09:36:21 PM »
Minister Boynes: Warriors' technical staff not forgotten
T&T Express

Tuesday, June 27th 2006

The technical staff that accompanied the "Soca Warriors" to Germany
for the 2006 World Cup Finals have not been forgotten, but the
Government are still in talks over just how to honour them.

This was revealed by Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Roger Boynes
yesterday, at a ceremony at President's House for national midfielder
Silvio Spann, who was mistakenly left out of the original
celebrations held for the players on Saturday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Boynes said that talks have already taken place towards rewarding the
T&T technical staff, and that they are currently ongoing.

"I believe that is a work in progress that is taking place at this
time," Boynes said following the ceremony at which Spann was awarded
a Chaconia Medal (Gold) for his contribution to the Soca Warriors,
"and that work and those discussions even took place before".

During the gala celebrations on Saturday, no reward was announced for
the technical staff, although the 23 players, coach Leo Beenhakker
and three assistant coaches, as well as 16 players who contributed
earlier in the CONCACAF qualifying campaign, were awarded monetary
bonuses for their role in the "Soca Warriors" debut World Cup in Germany.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I disagree.  The players have been recognised by the relevant authority.  The backroom staff should be similarly recognised by the same authority.  I'm not saying that the players cannot show their own appreciation to the backroom staff, but to put the onus on them to reward the  backroom staff is not the right thing to do in my opinion. 

How would you feel as a backroom staff member if players came up to you and said...hey....u eh get nutting so  we givin yuh a lil something.  I would appreciate the gesture but wouldn't want the players to be put in a position where they feel they HAVE TO DO THAT.

Jes my 2 cents.

I have a question: In a golf tournament, when a player wins, who is given the prize money?  The player.  He then gives a percentage to his caddy and support staff.  What is wrong with this concept?

If the team finds that the support staff did such a great job, why not reward them out of  their own pockets?  Didn't they just get more money than they have ever seen?  Is the support staff only deserving of money if the Government decides to pay it?

Step up Soca Warriors.  Stop passing the buck.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
I have a question: In a golf tournament, when a player wins, who is given the prize money?  The player.  He then gives a percentage to his caddy and support staff.  What is wrong with this concept?

If the team finds that the support staff did such a great job, why not reward them out of  their own pockets?  Didn't they just get more money than they have ever seen?  Is the support staff only deserving of money if the Government decides to pay it?

Dis eh golf.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Dis eh golf.

That is a cop out reply Palos!   ;D  I expect better reasoning that that from you.  I hope you see the validity of this option now after looking at it from this angle.

Offline GyurlTrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 08:35:28 AM »
Minister Boynes: Warriors' technical staff not forgotten
T&T Express

Tuesday, June 27th 2006

The technical staff that accompanied the "Soca Warriors" to Germany
for the 2006 World Cup Finals have not been forgotten, but the
Government are still in talks over just how to honour them.

This was revealed by Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Roger Boynes
yesterday, at a ceremony at President's House for national midfielder
Silvio Spann, who was mistakenly left out of the original
celebrations held for the players on Saturday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Boynes said that talks have already taken place towards rewarding the
T&T technical staff, and that they are currently ongoing.

"I believe that is a work in progress that is taking place at this
time," Boynes said following the ceremony at which Spann was awarded
a Chaconia Medal (Gold) for his contribution to the Soca Warriors,
"and that work and those discussions even took place before".

During the gala celebrations on Saturday, no reward was announced for
the technical staff, although the 23 players, coach Leo Beenhakker
and three assistant coaches, as well as 16 players who contributed
earlier in the CONCACAF qualifying campaign, were awarded monetary
bonuses for their role in the "Soca Warriors" debut World Cup in Germany.

lol, dey cuda jus say dat @ d original ceremony! But I agree with JahYouth to a certain extent. I don't think it's normal for the technical staff of any sports team / player to be recognised by an external body. It's usually the players (& those in the public eye) who accept the rewards & then decide how to reward everyone who was responsible for helping them to get there. It come kinda like they're the bosses & accept on behalf a d whole company & all dat. In any & all competition daz wat I know does happen, whether iz football or whether iz in a carnival competition, iz always d one who in d public eye who accept d reward on behalf a everyone who work 2 get dem dey & den dat person decide how best 2 reward d others.

Now I not sayin daz necessarily right, but daz d normal ting 2 happen
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 08:38:55 AM by GyurlTrini »
Luv Kat

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 05:08:32 PM »
OK...my honest 2 cents.

The GOVERNMENT of T&T made a promise to THE TEAM that THE TEAM would be rewarded after the WC.

Far as I concerned.....THE TEAM comprises all who were part of the OFFICIAL ACCREDITED contingent that went to and stayed in Rotenberg.

If dat include de cook....so be it.

De TEAM wasn't 23 players.....DE TEAM was ALL A DEM!

PLUS

How can you reward SOME of the technical staff e.g. Beenie and Wim....and NOT THE REST?

Jes my honest 2 cents.

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 05:42:27 PM »
Can anyone tell me how much the warriors got per game? I know there was talk about it before but I can't remember

Offline dreadlocks

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 11:00:56 PM »
Somthing wrong with manning advisors or manning head. How inconsiderate of he and them.Mr. Ikin  Williams with the nat. team since I was pregnant with my daughter  who is now 17yrs or it could be longer.  Hey T I whats up me brother  and your family?  I saw you on the documentary in Dortmund  and I got on like a child.You all were playing cricketthat was new to the germans.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 10:40:42 AM »
Can anyone tell me how much the warriors got per game? I know there was talk about it before but I can't remember

US$1,636,357 split amongst 55 players as a qualifying bonus

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=10682.0

Then another $6million SWISS FRANCS among the 24 players for the three qualifying games.

$6 million CHF for World Cup Group phase.
By: Shaun Fuentes.

Beenhakker selects 5-star superior hotel for German base.
Trinidad and Tobago will be the collectors of $2 million Swiss Francs for each of its opening round matches in next year’s World Cup Finals in Germany.
This was revealed by FIFA following Tuesday’s World Cup Organizing Committee in Leipzig at which FIFA Vice President and Deputy Chairman of the Finance Committee Jack Warner was present.

then this ADDITIONAL reward from the government and men still complaining men ain't get reward enough.  :rotfl: :rotfl: Trini sweet yes, and men wanna complain about lack of infrastructure, lack of this, lack of that in tnt  and taxes going up, etc etc :-\ . I know see why politicians worldwide capitalise on football successes, ppl does real get carried away and forget we have to live after !!

Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 10:47:47 AM »
Ah I was looking for this info.

BTW 6 million Francs = 30,254,856.37 TTD

* 1 CHF = 5.04248 TTD
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 11:00:55 AM »
Ah I was looking for this info.

BTW 6 million Francs = 30,254,856.37 TTD

* 1 CHF = 5.04248 TTD

yup daz REAL money !!  scholarships could have been set up in the names of players for disadvantaged youths to get trials abroad etc, create academies like what Beckham has done. But if the government had done something like that in exchange for a bit of their cash, u wud hear men talking about the government short changing the men and all kind of myopic talk that trinis accustomed with.
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

1]; } ?>