April 19, 2024, 02:19:52 AM

Author Topic: Bruce Arena: Australia & T&T are the two weakest teams in the 2006 WC.  (Read 33980 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Forget England, we want to play the Yanks.
By Greg Prichard & Michael Cockerill.

Bring 'em on ... Aussie matchwinner John Aloisi and (inset) US coach Bruce Arena.
Leading football figures in Australia are staggered by the arrogance of US coach Bruce Arena's dismissal of the Socceroos as likely World Cup easybeats.
Former Socceroos stars Robbie Slater, Alex Tobin and Craig Foster variously described Arena's comments as naive, ignorant and laughable, and Sydney FC striker Dwight Yorke joined the chorus as FIFA announced the seedings for the tournament in Germany in June. The World Cup draw will be made on Saturday.
Arena, whose team has achieved a FIFA world ranking of eight due largely to a system widely regarded as flawed, told Sports Illustrated's website: "The last time around [in the World Cup], the easy games were China and Saudi Arabia. This time around you'd probably say Australia and Trinidad & Tobago are the weak ones."
Arena seemed to grudgingly concede Australia and Trinidad & Tobago had some claims to being there, adding: "But Australia has basically all of its players in Europe, and Trinidad have a guy [in Yorke] who was arguably the top striker in soccer."
Trinidad & Tobago star Yorke last night bristled at Arena's suggestion. "The manager of the American team is entitled to his opinion," he said. "Hopefully when he comes up against one of us we can shove the words right back in his face. America was in our [qualifying] group. They know they were very fortunate to beat us. They are not a brilliant team like they are making out to be … we've been playing them for years, they are not that special."
Foster laughed when told of Arena's comments. "I just wonder where he's coming from," he said. "He's got the right to voice his opinion, but it's laughable to suggest we rate that lowly. He'll have to eat his words if we come up against the US. There's no issue we can beat them. We can beat any team on our day."
Slater said he would be delighted if Australia and the US were grouped together. "I would rather the Socceroos got into a group with the US than any of the other teams that may be ranked in the top tier," he said. "And that's not being disrespectful, that's based on fact.
"We have nothing to fear from the US. I would back us against the US - any game, anywhere.
"Our squad has a lot more quality than theirs and I would back [Socceroos coach] Guus Hiddink against any coach.
"I think [Arena's] comments might just show what he knows about the real world. I find his comments naive, but it doesn't surprise me, coming from a US coach. I mean, where has he been?"
Tobin, who captained Australia in their most recent game against the US seven years ago - 0-0 draw in San Jose - said: "I'd say he just doesn't know a lot about Australian football. I'd dismiss it. I think Australia will be very competitive at the World Cup. I'd be very, very confident about Australia knocking off the US, with all due respect to the US."

The seedings are:

Germany, Brazil, Italy, France, Argentina, Spain, Mexico and England.

Australia are in pool two with Angola, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Togo, Tunisia, Ecuador and Paraguay.

Pool three consists of Croatia, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland and Ukraine.

The US are in pool four with Iran, Japan, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago.

Each of the eight four-team groups in the draw will consist of one team from each tier, with Serbia & Montenegro in a special pot. There had been concern about the formulation of the seedings. England and the Netherlands were worried they might miss out on a top-tier spot to the US.
The seedings were based on a blend of results at the past two World Cups and FIFA rankings for the past three years. The US have had good results at recent World Cup tournaments but always had easy routes to qualification through the weak CONCACAF group, compared with Australia's task of having to beat the fifth-best South American nation.
Australia beat the world 18th-ranked Uruguay in a two-leg play-off to qualify for the finals. The most recent result for the US was a 1-1 draw with 61st-ranked Scotland in a friendly in Glasgow last month. The Socceroos are ranked 49th, ahead of four other World Cup finalists.
Slater described the rankings as "very misleading". "It's based on the number of games you play and win, rather than who you actually play," he said.
Foster thought Arena was underestimating Australia based on results from years ago. "I hope he keeps underestimating us, because he'll get a shock if we play them," he said.
Australia a weak Cup team: US coach.[/color]

United States coach Bruce Arena has added fuel to the Socceroos' World Cup campaign, labelling Australia one of the two weakest teams in the 2006 tournament.
Arena said Australia and Dwight Yorke's Trinidad and Tobago shaped as the two easiest games in Germany next year despite the Socceroos being ranked above four other sides that have qualified for the tournament.
The coach's comments are sure to give the Socceroos ample reason to hope they are selected in the same pool as the Americans when the World Cup draw is completed in Liepzig, Germany, on Saturday morning (AEDT).
Former Socceroo skipper Alex Tobin, who captained Australia in its last meeting with the US seven years ago (a 0-0 draw in San Jose), said Arena's comments came down to "ignorance".
"I'd say he just doesn't know a lot about Australian football," said Tobin, now development manager at A-League club Central Coast.
"They don't get a lot of information about our football and we don't really get a lot about theirs.
"I'd dismiss it. I think Australia will be very competitive at the World Cup.
"I'd be very, very confident about Australia knocking off the United States, with all due respect to the US."
Positioned 49th in FIFA's most recent rankings, Australia sits above fellow qualifiers Ghana (50), Trinidad and Tobago (51), Togo (56) and Angola (62).
The Socceroos overcame 18th placed Uruguay last month to earn their first berth in the World Cup finals in 32 years.
In an article published on the Sports Illustrated website, Arena said: "The last time around (in the 2002 World Cup) the easy games were China and Saudi Arabia.
"This time around you'd probably say Australia and Trinidad and Tobago are the weak ones."
"But Australia has basically all of its players in Europe, and Trinidad have a guy (in Dwight Yorke) who was arguably the top striker in soccer."
Arena guided the United States to the quarter-finals at the 2002 World Cup and to eighth spot in the world rankings.
Tobin admitted the US had improved dramatically over the past 10 years, but said they had been helped by having a far easier passage to the World Cup finals than the Socceroos.
While Australia's qualification has essentially come down to playing a two-legged playoff every four years, Tobin said FIFA had virtually guaranteed the US a spot in the finals by offering automatic qualification to the top three teams in CONCACAF - the North American, Central American and Caribbean zone.
Tobin said there were no countries in the World Cup that could be written off as easybeats.
"You look at Togo and you look at Angola, and go, 'okay we don't know them well, but on the flip side they beat Cameroon, they beat Nigeria and all those other countries that you expect to be there, so there must be something in their ability as well'."
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 06:19:02 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Arena: Australia & T&T is the two weakest teams in the 2006 WC.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 05:44:10 AM »
Bruce Arena could haul he backside... We will hush his mouth for him jess jesss now... Watch something... infact yuh know what, they getting knock out in the first round, and we will advance, we will have to take our revenge another day.. Dem Backsides.... He mudda arse..!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 05:47:03 AM »
Arena, like he senile or wha?
Any group the US in, dey go get beat by one of he so called weaker teams.
He better hope Australia doh end up in he group, because is kangaroo cock he go be sucking.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 05:48:50 AM »
So them USA men who came down trying to help T&T is really spies...

They really dont want to see T&T prosper since they try to sell out vs GUA and CRC...

They fraid we become one of concacaf powerhouse team.

Now we must do three things...

1. Do real good in de 2006 WC and gain more respect.

2. Be consistent and qualify for the next WC.

3. Beat USA at all cause.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 05:58:53 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Teflon Don

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 05:55:04 AM »
Allyuh eh realise the man is taking a page out of Jose mourino's book....americans are not bright, they steal everything and adjust it to suit themselves....he see it working for chelsea....so he trying a ting....d kinda over confident vibe dat mourinio uses to get to his opponents mentally.

I jus hope dat dey eh geh knock out first rounds after all de gun talk lololololol

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 05:55:22 AM »
Bruce arena could f**k off he just like to hear himself talk,I somehow wish and hope they get knock out in the first round and T&T move on to the second round.Ah go tell yuh who go beat bruce arenas team hands down mia hamm and the womens team.Imagine he nah he jus arrive but he's this big authority on who good and who bad,kiss my black beautiful trini a**  

Offline Teflon Don

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 06:00:32 AM »
Oh abd by the way....Bruce Arena is an american...thats the way they are.....make one setta comments about a topic dat always wrong.

Lord plz make the USA end up in a group with the High flying Ivory Coast team with
Mr didier "cant stop wont stop scoring goals" drogba

Offline trinibug

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 06:07:45 AM »
Bruce Arena doing that long time. He like to rile up the opponents.
Must rhyme with an O

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 06:14:56 AM »
Crapo go smoke he pipe :rotfl:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 06:19:30 AM »
Is not only Arena feeling dat way.

Take ah world wide poll..ah bet most people feeling so.

Allyuh too sensitive.

We jes had man on all kinda article dat we should not be dey, Urugauay better etc.

We just have to cool it and play our game on the field.

The man give he opinion.

steups.

Besides which we never beat dem, they always count points whenever we meet dem so he justified.

We need to shove de words down he gullet..not on dis forum not in de newspaper reports BUT on de playing field.

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 06:24:59 AM »

Allyuh too sensitive.

We jes had man on all kinda article dat we should not be dey, Urugauay better etc.

The man give he opinion.

steups.

Besides which we never beat dem, they always count points whenever we meet dem so he justified.

We need to shove de words down he gullet..not on dis forum not in de newspaper reports BUT on de playing field.

Our boys' job is to Shove dem words back dong he throat.. OUR job is to geh vex if we warnt and Rave about it if we warnt...... In this thing have clear roles and responsibilities.. Our boys responsibility is to stay focused and keep their heads on, and DO thier best and Run up dem men chesss...

Our job is to Rate up we team and always be supportive and optimistic and right now we doing this through dis medium....

So Again, Bruce is no use, he is an excuse, and probably was abused.. he even F*cked a moose... He is a Flaming Backside..

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 06:36:53 AM »
De thing is USA, CRC, MEX and TRI are all concacaf countries why is Bruce Arena making beef among ourselves... when we should back up each other for the benefit of concacaf.

Say what, that comment will only make us do better, thanks for de boost Bruce.

I still hope USA get they ass wash though,, because of that comment, they nasty and bad mind....

Lets go T&T, Mexico and Costa Rica too.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 06:38:07 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 06:38:37 AM »
De thing is USA, CRC, MEX and TRI are all concacaf countries why is Bruce Arena making beef among ourselves... when we should back up each other for the benefit of concacaf.

I still hope USA get they ass wash though,, because of that comment, they nasty and bad mind....

Thats the spirit..use he words for motivation ON DE PLAYING FIELD!

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Arena: Australia & T&T are the two weakest teams in the 2006 WC.
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 07:06:10 AM »
That good man...the way the world is work he will end up in the same group as Australia now so tha's one less team we have to worry about in our group. And Australia will be motivated to beat them bad. Is only because them have no cricket.,..he doh know the aussie mindset. Them badmind and stubborn too bad...the states will get nice lix.

Now to get rid of Ivory Coast and Ghana and we guaranted a side to wash !!
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 07:46:54 AM »

Thats the spirit..use he words for motivation ON DE PLAYING FIELD!

Yea them boyz guh be fired up....  I seeing blood areddy...  UNITY... All ah dem try to screw we areddy... So fug em....

But in all honesty, I had wanted Costa Rica to beat FRANCE Bad bad when they played de odda day..  :(

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 07:56:09 AM »
Tobin said there were no countries in the World Cup that could be written off as easybeats.
"You look at Togo and you look at Angola, and go, 'okay we don't know them well, but on the flip side they beat Cameroon, they beat Nigeria and all those other countries that you expect to be there, so there must be something in their ability as well'."

This quote sums it up quite well, and i hope that our team knows this well!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 07:57:07 AM »
 No need to get angry...All i could say is that Bruce arena could say what he wants...Most coaches would probably say the same thing if asked... I think with Beenhakker's guidance we could go to the World Cup and perform good...We will surprise people so let these guys talk...Talk does only win argument not football ,,,so let them fellas talk....Go T&T

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 08:09:45 AM »
Allyuh doh bother with that man. Any team that playing a sport called "soccer" don't know they a** from dey elbow.

"I think [Arena's] comments might just show what he knows about the real world. I find his comments naive, but it doesn't surprise me, coming from a US coach. I mean, where has he been?"

let them live in their bubble

Check de danger  :beermug:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 08:18:40 AM »
where does he get off thinking hes top dog all of a sudden? as yorke said, theyre not all that special. he is naive and ignorant. i really can see them getting knocked out 1st rd.
arena is the most underachieving/UGLY manager.
Hart for president

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 08:27:29 AM »
What is the difference with Bruce Arena saying we are easy beats and men on this forum saying we will beat anyoone in Pool B, Togo, Angola, Ghana etc. assumingly because they are easy beats. The man is just saying what everyone thinks. I don't know how come he said that about Australia because on paper the Aussies seem to have better players but it's just mind games being played from early o'clock.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 08:33:30 AM »
i hope we meet usa in round of 16 an fukin cut dey ass

biggest fag= Arena

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 08:35:18 AM »
this ain't nothing to lose sleep over-the man i assuming basing it on past record and the fact that we dopn't really cut they tail when we play america.  Just use this as motivation and handle we business on the field.    i sure everybody that not a trinbagonian would tend to agree with Mr. Arena.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 08:38:19 AM »

Allyuh too sensitive.

The man give he opinion.

steups.

Captain America resurfaces!  Welcome back hoss... ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 08:39:54 AM »
What is the difference with Bruce Arena saying we are easy beats and men on this forum saying we will beat anyoone in Pool B, Togo, Angola, Ghana etc. assumingly because they are easy beats. The man is just saying what everyone thinks. I don't know how come he said that about Australia because on paper the Aussies seem to have better players but it's just mind games being played from early o'clock.

because
no.1 it is not true.
no 2 he is a manager, he should show some respect
no 3 we are fans and can say that kind of stuff
no 4 the best thing about our team isnt just 'that one guy who used to be one of the top strikers in europe'.
no 5 if like you say it is all mind games, then the rest of your post wouldnt fit because why would he play mind games with us if we were the worst team, and we dont play them group stage, and we have seen them alot?
Hart for president

truetrini

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 08:41:26 AM »

Allyuh too sensitive.

The man give he opinion.

steups.

Captain America resurfaces!  Welcome back hoss... ;D
steups so what odds de bookies and dem in Europe giving we to win de cup again?

dem is Captain ameerica's too?

Yuh like too much f**keries.  Jes how me saying dat we need to shove it down dey gullet is capatain america?

Steups..and steupssss

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 08:48:02 AM »
His comments are based on 2 assumptions.

1. That Trinidad and Tobago and Australia are comparatively bad teams
&
2. That the USA is a good team

Both assumptions are in fact misguided and innacurate however the latter is just absolutely absurd.

There is a strong possibility that the US could be in a group with the Czech Rep., Holland or Portugal and of course a seeded team other than Mexico. There is a strong possibility that the US will finish dead last in their group. In any case there is always an incentive to beat the US because everybody thinks that they don't respect the game and don't belong there.

If the US is grouped with Portugal they will get at least 3 .Revenge is a bi*ch !

He might be true about everybody expecting to beat us up but I think we will cause some surprises. We have a reputation for stepping up when it counts and I think our team will be a hit in the World Cup.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 08:49:11 AM »
It would be funny if the States gets Brazil, Holland and Australia.

A lot of the US confidence comes from their results against Mexico.

Mexico is a big side and the States has done well againstthem but they don't realize that it is just a good matchup for them.

That is why a second string England and Scotland will manners the States.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 08:49:21 AM »
i like yorkes response to dis comment, dont see de reason 4 de mission tuh tt, why de hell dey was dere, dats suspicious after he make dese comments

doh worry he know we go cuthe ass, so he have tuh talk big

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 08:52:46 AM »
I think Bruce has just put a target on the USA team with his gun talk. But confidence is a helluva thing you cant ever underestimate it.

Question: From top to bottom 1 to 32 Where would you guys rank TnT in this World Cup?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 08:55:45 AM »
No big deal.........we are ranked under-dogs, and only a fool would be surprised to hear Arena say something like that.......Coming into this W.C. we are one of the weakest teams by reputation......I don't even see it as something to get angry about.....I like being the under-dog. It takes some pressure off of us, and teams will let their guard down a little bit against us. It works in our favour.

I could see Australia being a little upset, because their team has as much "pedigree" as the U.S., they have managed ties against the U.S. in their latest encounters, and they over-came a tough opponent in Uruguay to qualify. (I doubt that Arena would have spoken lowly of Uruguay had they qualified)..so Australia is justified in being a little surprised at Arena's comments.

Trinidad on the other hand has never given the U.S. under Arena any cause for headache or concern. They routinely beat us in the oval, scored against us in less than a minute in Boston, and didn't have to even save a shot against us for the rest of the 90 minutes..... so of course his opinion of us is that we're easy...........

I hate to say it, but until proven otherwise, if I were Arena I'd think the same thing of T&T. The good things is that his opinion is always subject to change.....and only one thing can change it........Our team has to prove themselves.......

My only hope is that comments like this inject more fire into the warriors as opposed to deflating their confidence. That's my only concern.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>